The Last Word

Bazza

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

This map shows how the US really has 11 separate 'nations' with entirely different cultures

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-11-nations-of-the-united-states-2015-7

Like most such maps, the display is in area, which grossly overweights the more conservative zones both by population and by economic clout.

53 minutes ago, Bazza said:

D&D: How Tools From This Underrated TTRPG Can Help DMs Prepare

https://www.cbr.com/dnd-apocalypse-world-dm-prep/

Unrecognized there is  ... that's yet another top-down world-construction template, with some fudges that are difficult to reconcile with each other.  I'm mostly OK with that, since I am an incurable top-down simulationist down to my core, but the writer(s) make the fundamental error of assuming that starting with top-down principles is the only correct way to do your campaign. 

I only slowly came to recognize that as a fundamental error.  From experience with a failed campaign I realized that it was far more likely than not, when doing a top-down universe design, to create a world/universe in which the elegant principles you'd set out ab initio, followed to their logical conclusion, don't actually bring about a world that is interesting to play in, in the sense of having conflict situations where heroic player characters actually could influence the course of events.

It also tends to create worlds with economic and social structures that, when viewed rationally, have no chance of enduring more than a fraction of a human lifetime (to say nothing of races with far longer lifespans), as well as having no chance of having arisen plausibly from evolution of early humans and other sentient races.

• 2 weeks later...