The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

Nope, I have sadly outmoded and pedestrian tastes in music. Varied, but outmoded and pedestrian. And the closest I've been to Australia was nearly 20 years ago (20 years ago in June, in fact) when we honeymooned in Rarotonga.

Actually ... from that whole milieu, I only listen to old stuff, almost exclusively. I have some Johnny Cash; I have some Flatt & Scruggs; I have some Bonnie Raitt; I have a couple of odd collections which have country artists on them, but the collections are not categorized as country (one is/was found in the New Age bin, in fact). I have some k.d. lang and the Reclines, and while they sometimes fall in the country bin, lang by her own admission says they change styles a lot.

As someone who has lived a majority of his life on the West Coast, I was always bemused by the "Western" label.

There are people who would be offended by putting Johnny Cash into any bin other than C&W, but I have no particular feelings about that. It's not where I would go to find him in all the stores around here, though.

Folk music is generally, "of the people" which traditionally is traditional music of a bygone era that is part of the cultural heritage of a country. This has been reclassified as "the folk genre".

By any stretch, Cash is an artist "of the American people" hence a folk musician, just as The Beatles and Led Zep are modern folk artists of Britain.

Seems a little early to make that reassignment, though in another fifty to a hundred years you will certainly be correct. Right now, the compositional and thematic details of the recently-deceased artist matter enough to the population that the subclassification into a musical genre remains important. Once more or less everyone who was alive while Cash was still producing is dead, then yes, those distinctions will cease to be important except to historians of music.

The celebrations of other getting-on-in-years musicians whose heyday is now long past ... here in the US, that would include people like Dave Brubeck, Harry Belafonte, Pete Seeger, Aretha Franklin, Tony Bennett, and others ... indicates the kind of collective cultural consciousness you describe, but for now people are still keenly sensitive of and revel in the stylistic divergences. Choosing to dismiss those differences misses some of the greatness for which the artists are celebrated.