Ultimate Champions: How would you do it?

Evil Toki

If you were given the green light to write an Ultimate Champion’s comic, who would you showcase and why. What kind of stories would you tell, would you make an homage to the Silver Age, a gritty Iron Age story, or something altogether different. Just because it is in the Ultimate style does not mean it can't be fun... how would you reinvent the Champion's Universe?

What would your first story arc be?

Basically with all the talk on the boards about what a hero is, a superhero is, and how people dislike certain styles or writers; just wondering what the kick ass fan base here at the boards would do with these iconic characters and why?

And if you truly hate the Champion’s Universe then well I am sure you can think of something…

Apologize in advance if there is another thread like this... just wondering, because it sounds like some people out there have good ideas...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Ultimate Champions: How would you do it?

Writing a champions comic book has a lot of pitfalls, IMO. First, the characters are meant to demonstrate what 350 pts and examples of various archtypes. So, the are not REALLY designed to be a super team that is new or ground breaking.

But having said that, I think there is potential for an interesting comic.

Being a northern neighbor of Detroit, I would focus much of the early issues on that. The whole rebuilding thing, with the champions in the mix during the rebuilding process... it isn't crime that brings them together initially, it is recovery.

I would challenge IMMEDIATELY, 1st issue, the horrendous lack of a black person on the team, in a city that is mourning thousands of black casualities and displacing thousands more. Kinetix would show up first issue and I would tackle that issue head on with as much honesty and care as a white guy can.

I would campaign heavily to get rid of Ironclad (at first, intro later on). I would rather have aliens, as a concept, be a big deal in a first contact situation down the line. Not already part of the weft and woof of the society. The drama of having that 1st contact storyline, say around issue 12, is too good to pass up.

In the first 12 issues, really not have that much super brawls. Maybe a villian who manipulates data, cracking some of the codes to the new traffic situations in order to extort. I would probably build to a Mechanon like invasion of the new spanky-tech Millennium City. But really be more integrating and exploring what supers, in the World of Tomorrow, is going to look like, what problems it would generate and let the readers get to know each of the team in an issue that highlights them. How does the politics of the Big Three affect intro of technology that moves away from fossil fuels? How are the Lions, Tigers, Wings and Pistons dealing with poor ticket sales due to a couple of mutant athletes scandals and the focus of America going to these new media darlings; Super heroes? Canada's response to having the most progressive, most gleaming, most target rich city on their border? How does the suburbs of Detroit absorb so many refugees, deal with this new dynamic city, cope with an infrastructure that can't keep up with Millennium City's?

That would be my backdrob against which to sketch out the adventures of the Champions.

So I guess that would be Iron Age mentality.

Writing a champions comic book has a lot of pitfalls' date=' IMO. First, the characters are meant to demonstrate what 350 pts and examples of various archtypes. So, the are not REALLY designed to be a super team that is new or ground breaking.[/quote']

You don't have to limit yourself to the Champions themselves... I should have titled this Ultimate Champion's Universe... but eh ;)

But having said that, I think there is potential for an interesting comic.

Being a northern neighbor of Detroit, I would focus much of the early issues on that. The whole rebuilding thing, with the champions in the mix during the rebuilding process... it isn't crime that brings them together initially, it is recovery.

Would you have Detroit destroyed by Dr. Destroyer as well or is it another event tat destroyed Detroit. For that fact how would you repaint Dr. Destroyer for this new Universe?

I would challenge IMMEDIATELY' date=' 1st issue, the horrendous lack of a black person on the team, in a city that is mourning thousands of black casualities and displacing thousands more. Kinetix would show up first issue and I would tackle that issue head on with as much honesty and care as a white guy can.[/quote']

Nice, I like that idea! Would you have Kinetix join the team or just make an appearance to reinforce the issue.

I would campaign heavily to get rid of Ironclad (at first' date=' intro later on). I would rather have aliens, as a concept, be a big deal in a first contact situation down the line. Not already part of the weft and woof of the society. The drama of having that 1st contact storyline, say around issue 12, is too good to pass up.[/quote']

We think alike, I was thinking either Ironclad appear later or he be apart of some government agency that is monitoring the superhuman phenomena, and he is an amnesiac who does not know what his heritage may be exactly. Although First Contact would be a great story to play out!

In the first 12 issues, really not have that much super brawls. Maybe a villian who manipulates data, cracking some of the codes to the new traffic situations in order to extort. I would probably build to a Mechanon like invasion of the new spanky-tech Millennium City. But really be more integrating and exploring what supers, in the World of Tomorrow, is going to look like, what problems it would generate and let the readers get to know each of the team in an issue that highlights them. How does the politics of the Big Three affect intro of technology that moves away from fossil fuels? How are the Lions, Tigers, Wings and Pistons dealing with poor ticket sales due to a couple of mutant athletes scandals and the focus of America going to these new media darlings; Super heroes? Canada's response to having the most progressive, most gleaming, most target rich city on their border? How does the suburbs of Detroit absorb so many refugees, deal with this new dynamic city, cope with an infrastructure that can't keep up with Millennium City's?

That would be my backdrob against which to sketch out the adventures of the Champions.

So I guess that would be Iron Age mentality.

I think tat is a good setup. I would probably have the Champions working for or with the government through PRIMUS perhaps. I would not use Ironclad either, not at first anyways.

Defender I think I would make some type of government sponsored hero, probably painting him as the poster boy for what an ideal hero should be; more or less moving the pressure from the inside, to the outside, probably contrasting that with his own insecurities about his capabilities as a hero and a leader.

I think I would take Nighthawk and make him a rival to Defender, both professionally and personally. I would change Nighthawk to be more of a government agent who was banking on being made the leader of this Champions team only to be passed over yet again for a younger, prettier, or in this case more handsome, model. I wouldn’t change too much ability wise, but the costume could be modernized and the hawk hood would have to go.

Sapphire would stay as is for the most part. The music angle can tie into the media blitz quite well. She would be the unquestioned sex-kitten of the group, and her stories would involve her affairs as much as her trying to reconcile being a hero with her career. Just for some fun, I would have her addicted to painkillers or some other drug, just for some fun.

Finally Witchcraft would stay pretty pure, but her back-story would be rife with molestation, a broken home, and a psychotic sister who is currently locked up in a mental institution after snapping. In fact I would play up the fact that magic is considered fantasy. In fact no one would believe that she really is a witch and believe that her powers stem from some as of yet unknown power source. Because of her shattered home, she has low self-esteem and does not realize that much of the friction between Nighthawk and Defender is over her. She isn’t even sure why the United States Government wants her to help in the effort, but she is doing her best to help, and not devolve into the state of her of her sister….

Just some errant thoughts.

You don't have to limit yourself to the Champions themselves... I should have titled this Ultimate Champion's Universe... but eh ;)

Would you have Detroit destroyed by Dr. Destroyer as well or is it another event tat destroyed Detroit. For that fact how would you repaint Dr. Destroyer for this new Universe?

Nice, I like that idea! Would you have Kinetix join the team or just make an appearance to reinforce the issue.

We think alike, I was thinking either Ironclad appear later or he be apart of some government agency that is monitoring the superhuman phenomena, and he is an amnesiac who does not know what his heritage may be exactly. Although First Contact would be a great story to play out!

I think tat is a good setup. I would probably have the Champions working for or with the government through PRIMUS perhaps. I would not use Ironclad either, not at first anyways.

Defender I think I would make some type of government sponsored hero, probably painting him as the poster boy for what an ideal hero should be; more or less moving the pressure from the inside, to the outside, probably contrasting that with his own insecurities about his capabilities as a hero and a leader.

I think I would take Nighthawk and make him a rival to Defender, both professionally and personally. I would change Nighthawk to be more of a government agent who was banking on being made the leader of this Champions team only to be passed over yet again for a younger, prettier, or in this case more handsome, model. I wouldn’t change too much ability wise, but the costume could be modernized and the hawk hood would have to go.

Sapphire would stay as is for the most part. The music angle can tie into the media blitz quite well. She would be the unquestioned sex-kitten of the group, and her stories would involve her affairs as much as her trying to reconcile being a hero with her career. Just for some fun, I would have her addicted to painkillers or some other drug, just for some fun.

Finally Witchcraft would stay pretty pure, but her back-story would be rife with molestation, a broken home, and a psychotic sister who is currently locked up in a mental institution after snapping. In fact I would play up the fact that magic is considered fantasy. In fact no one would believe that she really is a witch and believe that her powers stem from some as of yet unknown power source. Because of her shattered home, she has low self-esteem and does not realize that much of the friction between Nighthawk and Defender is over her. She isn’t even sure why the United States Government wants her to help in the effort, but she is doing her best to help, and not devolve into the state of her of her sister….

Just some errant thoughts.

That is freakin' depressing. I have no interest in dysfunctional drivel. Please don't take this personally, but there isn't anything of value in reading or coming up with this kind of crap.

That is freakin' depressing. I have no interest in dysfunctional drivel. Please don't take this personally' date=' but there isn't anything of value in reading or coming up with this kind of crap.[/quote']

I am not quite following how this is depressing? Really just setting a stage for the heroes to try and start from, I guess I have a preference for a team that has some stumbling blocks to overcome, while working to become the force of good they have the potential to be.

No offense taken I happen to love The Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men :)

I am not quite following how this is depressing? Really just setting a stage for the heroes to try and start from, I guess I have a preference for a team that has some stumbling blocks to overcome, while working to become the force of good they have the potential to be.

No offense taken I happen to love The Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men :)

I'll leave it at this. Molestation and Licentiousness are just not interesting, life-affirming topics for comic books that attempt to mix with superhero themes. I weary of this kind of "story-telling." There isn't anything profound about it and it doesn't produce anything positive. It comes off as pandering and perverse.

I'll leave it at this. Molestation and Licentiousness are just not interesting' date=' life-affirming topics for comic books that attempt to mix with superhero themes. I weary of this kind of "story-telling." There isn't anything profound about it and it doesn't produce anything positive. It comes off as pandering and perverse.[/quote']

Oh... I guess I had not seen it that way.

Just an extension of how I run my own games... I like to use layers and reveal things as time goes along, I just applied that to my ideas. We just diverge in the kinds of storis we like to see, because I just have a darker image of things I guess.

But don't think of it as crap if done correctly, and over time, and not just all at once. Layers interlaced into stories that are subtly hinted, but not just thrown in th face for shock value, I just find squeaky clean backgrounds to be bland.

Oh... I guess I had not seen it that way.

Just an extension of how I run my own games... I like to use layers and reveal things as time goes along, I just applied that to my ideas. We just diverge in the kinds of storis we like to see, because I just have a darker image of things I guess.

But don't think of it as crap if done correctly, and over time, and not just all at once. Layers interlaced into stories that are subtly hinted, but not just thrown in th face for shock value, I just find squeaky clean backgrounds to be bland.

I agree. Introduced slowly into a story these issues bring realism. Of course it could be done in a crass manner, but I really like for instance the Pym/Wasp in The Ultimates. Ultimizing the Champs U would take introducing real world, not so pretty issues.

I rather like the Champions Universe as it is. Its not THAT happy and rosey and "squeaky clean". You can just tell who are supposed to be the good guys without a program. And who care about realism in a story about people flying and shooting lasers out of their eyes? :)

I rather like the Champions Universe as it is. Its not THAT happy and rosey and "squeaky clean". You can just tell who are supposed to be the good guys without a program. And who care about realism in a story about people flying and shooting lasers out of their eyes? :)

LOL I know what you mean, I am not saying it needs to be changed. I just thought it would be a fun exercise, and yes who needs realism, not many, I tend to propose hard questions in my stories but I like to think I do it tastefully...

Destroyer would have blown up Detroit, I would stick with that. It is a good hook for the license. I think it has 9/11 resonation that pop culture can some times work through.

But I don't think my ideas are depressing. I think the Kinetix, racism angle can be handled with humor and good will, but with very serious undertones. I'm a white minority in my suburb of southfield, more black and more middle eastern citizens than white. I think these are very good issues to talk about in comics or anywhere for that matter.

I am interested in that "shining city on the hill" concept. But at what cost? I don't think that is depressing, but relevant... how does one build a better community. How does one rebuild after a tragic event on American soil bigger than 9/11 and Pearl Harbor put together?

I think the idea of the idealistic Harmon, coming from the freakin' Hamptons, Long Island, silver spoon in mouth, from a long line of heroes, running smack dab into a culture he doesn't understand delicious. I can just here Detroit going "are you for real?". But the fact that Harmon puts his ass on the line for other people cannot be denied for long.

But I wouldn't run a lot of prior addictions and mental problems in the team, especially if put together by the gov't. The screening process would have weeded a lot of that out. Maybe one character is in therapy or something, but that is about it. But I've been therapy (during a divorce) and it was a positive experience, not depressing. anyone with a prior history with drugs would be drug tested on the level of Lance Armstrong. Cause that person can bring a building down or do some other amazing thing beyond winning the most grueling sports event.

I always get a kick out of writers who inject "realism" into their stories by placing a focus on sex and addiction. There is a lot more to realism than that. I am a married man in a monogamous relationship and a wonderful child that we do our best to raise well and we're waiting for the right time, financially speaking, to have another child. A good friend of mine is a married man with a monogamous relationship and one child. Their "real moment" is that they can't have any more children. I have a good friend who is married in a monogamous relationship and they have a child with severe health problems. That, I guess, would be his "real moment." Another friend of mine has been living with his girlfriend for longer than I have been married and they have a monogamous relationship. His "real moment" has to do with his as-of-yet unfulfilled business ambitions. Two of my friends are single. One of them needs a better job. That's his "real moment." Perhaps another "real moment" is that they are too darned particular when it comes to women. I have a younger friend who has just started his professional career and has a long-distance relationship. His "real moment" may very well be deciding whether or not to marry and who would relocate.

In my family and the family of people I associate with, I have known of felons, drug addicts, lazy workers, and the like. But most of the people I have known have "real moments" that have more to do with buying a home, raising their children, maintaining a good relationship, getting a job in the field they prefer, and the like. I don't know many slutty rock stars or molested witches or rich scientific adventurers or African American icons or bitter vigilantes or aliens. I am pretty sure that the vast bulk of them would have "real moments" like the bulk of US. Most of us aren't molested, polyamorous, addicts.

Sexual dysfunction and addiction is incredibly overplayed and immaturely handled in so-called realistic genres. IMO

Sexual dysfunction and addiction is incredibly overplayed and immaturely handled in so-called realistic genres. IMO

I do not believe reading a comic book about a hero saving money to buy a house or to have a child would be very interesting to most people. Spider-man seems to have had that angle covered for the last 40 years. Reading about heroes who must overcome difficult social issues is interesting to most people.

I do not believe reading a comic book about a hero saving money to buy a house or to have a child would be very interesting to most people. Spider-man seems to have had that angle covered for the last 40 years. Reading about heroes who must overcome difficult social issues is interesting to most people.
Difficult social issues? Sleeping around isn't a difficult social issue. Addiction is usually something the addicted obsess about. Molestation is a very heavy subject for a game or comic that is centered around wearing silly costumes and thwarting supervillains. It's a particularly odd subject for a genre generally dominated by men. I thought they made movies of the week that usually play on Sundays on the networks or most any day on Lifetime to cover that issue.

Difficult social issues? Sleeping around isn't a difficult social issue. Addiction is usually something the addicted obsess about. Molestation is a very heavy subject for a game or comic that is centered around wearing silly costumes and thwarting supervillains. It's a particularly odd subject for a genre generally dominated by men. I thought they made movies of the week that usually play on Sundays on the networks or most any day on Lifetime to cover that issue.

I don't make it the focus of any story, not at first, and like JJR said... some people enjoy heigtened drama. Now in my own games, I don't glorify these subjects but they exist, and we engage in them tastefully, at least I try to. Realism is not limitied to sex and dysfunction, realism is consequences, and learnign that people are people, mistakes are made, and sometimes we try to shoot for the stars and end up just hitting our heads on the door frame.

I like issues, but I don't focus solely on them.

Agente X, I think you have some valid points.

but let me throw this at you. Just because a subject matter is tired, doesn't mean there isn't room for a new stab at it if it is good... regardless of genre. As always, it is in the doing.

The thread asked what *I*, *You* would do with a Champs comic book. I gave my answer... but not many others have. You haven't really offered up an idea, just been ripping apart mine.

I think what you said about those human moments is really cool. And if I was the writer/artist on such a book, that is precisely what I would be aiming for. I'm a huge "connect the dots" kinda guy. I like seeing how environment and events influence people. And that is why my subosition stressed those issues.

I'm also a big believer in the Joss Whedon school of genre writing... that precisely because it is genre, one can tackle issues in humorous, thoughtful, unusual ways. Not that Im up for making Witchcraft the subject of child abuse (thanks, lived that one up close and personal myself. Tack on the addiction issue too), nor make Sapphire an ex-druggie.... but doing a subplot where Kinetix is running himself ragged cause he likes the endorphin high? Tackling doping issues in sports through the metaphor of superpowers in sports? Why not?

I also subscribe to Joss's theory of "emotional realism"... where the world can get wacky as you want it, but as long as the characters react the way that seems in line with the way they are, the places they come from and he environment that they run in.... that will carry a lot of entertainment.

I'm not interested in "realism". Super powers are not realistic. But I am interested in teh emotional response to such a different world than our own.

but let me throw this at you. Just because a subject matter is tired, doesn't mean there isn't room for a new stab at it if it is good... regardless of genre. As always, it is in the doing.

The thread asked what *I*, *You* would do with a Champs comic book. I gave my answer... but not many others have. You haven't really offered up an idea, just been ripping apart mine.

I think what you said about those human moments is really cool. And if I was the writer/artist on such a book, that is precisely what I would be aiming for. I'm a huge "connect the dots" kinda guy. I like seeing how environment and events influence people. And that is why my subosition stressed those issues.

I'm also a big believer in the Joss Whedon school of genre writing... that precisely because it is genre, one can tackle issues in humorous, thoughtful, unusual ways. Not that Im up for making Witchcraft the subject of child abuse (thanks, lived that one up close and personal myself. Tack on the addiction issue too), nor make Sapphire an ex-druggie.... but doing a subplot where Kinetix is running himself ragged cause he likes the endorphin high? Tackling doping issues in sports through the metaphor of superpowers in sports? Why not?

I also subscribe to Joss's theory of "emotional realism"... where the world can get wacky as you want it, but as long as the characters react the way that seems in line with the way they are, the places they come from and he environment that they run in.... that will carry a lot of entertainment.

I'm not interested in "realism". Super powers are not realistic. But I am interested in teh emotional response to such a different world than our own.

I have to agree, I only threw out ideas... honestly I like to have more human intimate stories LOL personally I think a Love triangle would be fun too

Actually the ripping has been pinpointed on licentiousness, molestation, and addiction. You've not really pushed all that.

You weren't the one I was responding too.

As for my take on the Champions - I would stick to issues that involved interpersonal dynamics and reveal their interests and quirks over time. Defender and Nighthawk, how do they get along?

How can the city be so approving of the Champions considering the reputation that Nighthawk and Ironclad bring to the team?

How do Sapphire and Witchcraft get along considering they are interested in the same man?

When will Sapphire burnout? She's trying to be a superstar and a superhero. Eventually, she will need some rest.

How will Defender deal with his father's expectations for the company in Millennium City?

How will Ironclad deal with the conflicting responses of society?

What's stopping Kinetik from simply accepting the invitation to join?

There is plenty to deal with without degradation.

Spiderman seems to be fairly popular and one of the reasons for it seems to be the fact he has the same problems as everyone else, but he still goes out to try and make a difference. He's a "everyman" aside from the powers. Why does "realistic" always have to mix with "sordid" to be interesting?

Think about This guys and gals,

To create a Champions Universe in the Ultimate Vien, you'd have to reinvent the heroes and give them a fresh start from the beginning.

You have one of two choices to start fresh:

A} redo the universe with a fresh attitude and a dose of reality and established history.

or restart and reboot the characters for the 21st century,by removing some characters,intro them later into the campaign and put in some new ones,

preferably those created by the player.

It'll take some altering of the CU timeline,but if your players can participate in the process then go for it with barrells a blazin' just so as long as you make it your Champions universe.

That is freakin' depressing. I have no interest in dysfunctional drivel. Please don't take this personally' date=' but there isn't anything of value in reading or coming up with this kind of crap.[/quote']

There isn't anything of value to *you*. Everyone comes equiped with their own tastes in fiction. We can't all be like you, as much as we might try... And one man's crap is another man's ambrosia.

I agree though that a bunch of severely dysfunctional people isn't necessarily any more "realistic" than a bunch of extremely well-adjusted people. Anyway, I always hated the word "realistic". Fiction mustn't be always about emulating real life. Actually, some fictional heroes have personal flaws that are blown up out of proportion almost as much their nobler qualities, they're not just "people", they're symbols too. Most fiction isn't a mirror, but a lens.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily make them all psychos. There are other aspects of the "Iron Age" that I enjoy. Making the aliens more alien and magic more magical, for instance. Try to give it more of a science fiction aspect, as opposed to superhero superscience. I always liked the way Alan Moore depicted aliens in Swamp Thing and Miracleman, as real strange beings with real strange societies, more like current literary SF, less like 30s space opera. Same with magic, make it more unpredictable, stranger, and paradoxally more steepled in real magical traditions. Make psi powers more SF-like too, with bleeding noses and weird side effects.

Basically, make it all weirder.

Guest bblackmoor

And if you truly hate the Champion’s Universe then well I am sure you can think of something…

Do people actually use the Champions example characters in their games? The only place I have ever seen them has been in the books. I don't have any impression at all of what they might be like as actual characters.