Turakian Age Review posted to Enworld

arcady

Re: Turakian Age Review posted to Enworld

Nice review. Just so you know the 77 page index is available as a free download in the freestuff section of the website. It didn't fit into the book after it was written, and is a very good historical read.

While I'm happy the Turakian Age won the best non-d20 setting award, the fact that its flavor is a lot like D&D makes me wonder if that's the reason it won. That wouldn't sit too well with me personally. No, I'm not trying to pull a zarglif69 on you guys. I was rather hoping for a different flavor of fantasy.

Good review, btw. Very clear and detailed.

In what ways would you say it wasn't for you from the description?

I'm wondering, cause I wonder if it's something about the product, or about how I described the product because my intent was not to turn people off of it.

It was a very informative review. Fair and no negative slant that I could perceive.

What you did was simply confirm what I'd already gathered from thumbing through the book at the store. It's a very generic "gaming fantasy" setting. Nothing wrong with that. It's just not my thing. By and large I either like low-fantasy stuff (like Harnworld, Howard's Hyboria, Kay's "alterna-histories", or Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire") or stuff that's out on the other end of the reality spectrum like Talislanta, Exalted, or the "D&D turned up to 11" approach of Eberron.

From all I can see, TA is a great product, just not what I dig in terms of fantasy gaming.

Fair shows up three times.

Looking at them from the pov of dictionary.com:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fair

This one is valid:

there's also a kingdom ruled by a fair and noble lich

1. Having or exhibiting a disposition that is free of favoritism or bias; impartial: a fair mediator.

2. Just to all parties; equitable: a compromise that is fair to both factions.

These two can go either way:

After that we get the usual fair for the DnD-genre

The cultures are a lot richer than the usual DnD fair

fair:

8: of no exceptional quality or ability; "a novel of average merit"; "only a fair performance of the sonata"; "in fair health"; "the caliber of the students has gone from mediocre to above average"; "the performance was middling at best" [syn: average, mediocre, middling]

fare:

4. Condition or state of things; fortune; hap; cheer.

What fare? what news abroad ? --Shak.

The intention with its use in the last two is 'character' or 'nature', and I'm not convinced on either spelling.

After that we get the usual fair for the DnD-genre

The cultures are a lot richer than the usual DnD fair

Not that this is a big issue at all, in the greater scheme of things, but Theron was correct. These should both be "fare": "material provided for use, consumption, or enjoyment." (Merriam Webster)

In a larger sense...

Looking at two -possibly- misspelled words in a 6,413 word article is an incredibly anal way to attempt to discredit it.

That constitutes only 0.03% of the article.

You want to criticize it, criticize my points, or find something which is an actual consistent misuse of grammar or spelling.

In a larger sense...

Looking at two -possibly- misspelled words in a 6,413 word article is an incredibly anal way to attempt to discredit it.

You want to criticize it, criticize my points, or find something which is an actual consistent misuse of grammar or spelling.

You know, I thought you had a nicely written, interesting article. Theron helpfully pointed out an error that you might want to correct. He didn't seem to be trying to discredit it, just to help. In fact, he complimented your article in an earlier post. You came back and defended your (mis)use of the word, and I, knowing the difference between the two spellings, pointed out the correct usage. Nobody was discrediting your article, just offering helpful information.

FWIW, I wasn't responding to your article. I was responding to your post in which you were arguing about the usage.

In a larger sense...

Whatever, dude.

• 2 weeks later...

This review has finally gone live on rpg.net as well:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10598.phtml

It sure took them long enough to get it posted, considering I sent it to both sites at the same time.

What really bugs me is that I have an older review still waiting to go live there...

One minor thing, Arcady: It could have done with an editing pass or an extra pair of eyes looking it over. You consistently use "fair" when you mean "fare".

But I'm anal retentive that way.

1. He admits to being anal.

2. How is this 'discrediting'?

Stating something as a 'minor thing' certainly does not give me the impression that its aim is to discredit. I have to agree that you needed a second pair of eyes to look it over. Be that as it may, it is still a great review.

A little light on sleep lately, Arcady? :winkgrin:

There was ZERO need to bring it up, considering how little a role it played and the fact that it is dubious if it is really an error. Certainly, it is not at all something I 'kept doing' considering there were only two cases of it, I pointed that out, then there WAS, and still IS no need to keep dwelling on it.

Doing so really says something about the people who did and apparently still do... It shows their agenda.

I'd expect that kind of bullsh** if I had given a 1 or 2 rating, or something which was short and dismissive, but not a detailed analysis.

Check the dates on it as well...

Only posted in here again myself because the thing had finally gone live in over at rpg.net.