Lupus

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions miniatures

What the heck, one more guy. Unnamed.

Looks more like one more drag-queen.

That's the funny thing with minis. It is so hard to get good detail at that size that LOTS of them look like bad drag-queens. Go figure (get it...figure! HA!)

Actually one of my as yet unplayed Dark Champions characters, Perdition Cauldwell.

Figure is from Iron Kingdoms, swords are actually scimitars from the Reaper Equipment Pack that I trimmed down to vaguely resemble Katanas.

That's a nice looking mini, Blue. ;)

Personally, I like to find the mini first, then build my character around it. This is much easier for me than trying to find a mini that matches my PC.

Mags

Looks more like one more drag-queen.

That's the funny thing with minis. It is so hard to get good detail at that size that LOTS of them look like bad drag-queens. Go figure (get it...figure! HA!)

Drag queen? You're just saying that because his hair is long.

Oh, I guess it doesn't help that his costume if purple. Or that I left the legs bare. (Darn, I know I should have painted long pants on him...) :idjit:

Mags

That's a nice looking mini, Blue. ;)

Personally, I like to find the mini first, then build my character around it. This is much easier for me than trying to find a mini that matches my PC.

Mags

Thanks. It's more a matter of having drawn a picture and then a name popped into my head and before I knew it I had a concept and character. That only left finding a mini afterwards.

Here are two figs I did a while back. Posting this mostly to demonstrate what a difference a paint job can make on the same mini.

Mags

You must have really steady hands. I mean, the highlight around the eyes is some really fine detail.

I think I need a big lighted magnifying glass like on CSI :)

You must have really steady hands. I mean, the highlight around the eyes is some really fine detail.

I think I need a big lighted magnifying glass like on CSI :)

I rest my wrist on the edge of the table when doing the finer work, but seriously, eyes aren't all that tough. What you see around the eyes on my figs is merely illusion. I really didn't paint a thin line. I did paint a thick line which defined the edges of the eyes (top and bottom) and then after that dried, I repeated the process with the flesh color which only left a thin line visible.

It's the same process I described for leaving a thin line along the border of Teen Anthem's shorts, you know, for definition. ;)

Mags

OK, I just finished her. She's got nothing to do with Champions per se, but I think she's my finest work yet. The face is beautiful, and the skin tones are just perfect (it helps that the miniature is superlative, too). :thumbup:

She's Elise the Witch (by Reaper) with a Ral Partha Crucible Pumpkin Head Scarecrow coming up from the ground behind her. A couple of the pumpkins are Pumpkin Heads with their heads cut off; the rest are putty. The vines are floral wire; the leaves are bits of paper cut out with a hole puncher.

What do you think, sirs? :D

Bill.

OK, I just finished her. She's got nothing to do with Champions per se, but I think she's my finest work yet. The face is beautiful, and the skin tones are just perfect (it helps that the miniature is superlative, too). :thumbup:

Snip

What do you think, sirs? :D

Well, I'm not a "sir", but I'll answer anyway. Very fine! An excellent diorama. A little late for Halloween, but that's ok. ;)

Mags

In City of Heroes' date=' I've got Teen Anthem, the online version of my character Anthem. Eventually you can buy multiple versions of your uniforms. Well, I liked this one enough that I'll likely use it in my campaign when we reconvene.[/quote']

Blue, she looks great, but can I give you a piece of friendly painting advice? :) It looks to me like your paints are too thick. Add about 3-6 drops* of clean water (from an eyedropper if you've got one) to your paints, especially the flesh color you're using. This will thin them out a little and make them easier to work with; the final result won't look as lumpy. If it's still too thick, add a couple of more drops at a time, stir/shake the paint really well, and test it again. You won't regret it! :thumbup:

Bill.

* If you're using 1/2 oz paint bottles... if your bottles are larger, you may need more water. :)

Thanks for the tip, Bill. My bigest fault is impatience. I just jump in sometimes with considering things like the fact that my paints are almost dead or that I need new brushes. I just want to do it (or more succinctly, to have it done so I can pat myself on the back ;)).

I couldn't resist posting some pictures of some of my figures on this thread. Sorry, I can't give any recipes because some of these figures are 10 years old. They are all metal miniatures, that's all I can tell you.

I have more that I can post later. Let me know what you think.

What I can see looks good, but they are awful fuzzy.

Sorry about the blurriness of the first set. I'm still figuring out how to use the macro setting on my digital camera. Here are some of the 4th Edition villians (Mechanon, Ogre, Armadillo & Pulsar). I will post more photos, including better copies of the first sets, when I get my camera recharged.