Champions miniatures

Lupus

Busy starting up a new Champions game, and the titular team is appearing as NPCs. So, I'm making minis. :)

Got two ones converted and painted so far. I have minis for the others, but so far the only ones that look the part are Nighthawk and Sapphire.

Bleah. Close-up photography really brings home the weaknesses in my painting. Missing bits, some chipped areas revealing the colour underneath, and some serious lumpiness going on with Nighthawk. And Sapphire's too dark, colour-wise. Too much dark blue, not enough electric blue. Still, the pic of her on the cover of Champions seems to indicate that she wears dark-ish clothing, and it's mainly her forcefield that glows brightly...

Anyway, both were originally Heroclix minis. Nighthawk began life as the Hobgoblin - I chopped him off his glider, cut off his hand, replacing it with one from Clayface (it was about the right size, and had separatable fingers, allowing me to glue in the bottom bit of Robin's staff). Sapphire was a plain old Rogue, with no fancy conversions, just painting.

All in all, I don't think it's too bad for my first conversion effort. :) They definitely serve well enough in the game.

Anyway - has anyone else made miniatures of the Chamions? Or even just their own characters? Let's see some convert & paint jobs going on here. :bounce:

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions miniatures

Nice work, getting a good shot of a convesion is an ordeal I know.

Proditor, Tom Mc Carthy/Meat Maki, I, and a few others have posted pics.

Prod did Ironclad and Nighthawk and is working on the rest of the Champions, Tom/Meat did Foxbat and a Grond I think, and on the Amateur Champs link below there is a dynamite Grond, an ok Ironclad and another Rogue-Saphire.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20070&page=1&highlight=amateur+champs+minis

Thanks guys! :) It's always good getting positive comments. I know my stuff is fairly beginner, but I'm still proud of it in that context. ;)

Anyway, one reason I started this thread (aside from showing off my stuff and a blatant plug for Rep), I was also trying to turn this into a thread for other people to show off their minis. Anyone else done miniatures for the Champions? Or even their own superhero characters?

Show us your stuff!

Anyway, one reason I started this thread (aside from showing off my stuff and a blatant plug for Rep), I was also trying to turn this into a thread for other people to show off their minis. Anyone else done miniatures for the Champions? Or even their own superhero characters?

Show us your stuff!

I would LOVE to, however, while a buddy recently gave me a decent digital camera where I can finally take pics of my minis, I still don't have the hardware to transfer those pics to my computer. :(

I need a Compactflash Card reader. *Sigh* I hate being unemployed... can't afford anything!

Mags

I would LOVE to, however, while a buddy recently gave me a decent digital camera where I can finally take pics of my minis, I still don't have the hardware to transfer those pics to my computer. :(

I need a Compactflash Card reader. *Sigh* I hate being unemployed... can't afford anything!

Mags

Is there a photo place near you that can do that stuff? There are a few here that can take flash cards and turn them into pictures, even transfer them to CD as image files. That might be an alternative. Costs money, though. Everything costs money. >.<

Still, when you do get pics, post 'em on here. :) Thread'll remain open. (Or start your own :)

All right guys, I just bought a Compactflash Card reader, so here are a couple of practice shots from my camera's memory. I just snapped these with the flash, so pardon if the light is too bright. I'll take better pictures after I figure out how this camera works. :)

This first one is a generic MA, no name. We used him to represent Fiacho the night I took this pic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8405

We use him quite a bit, so he's a little chipped.

Mags

These three are, from left to right, M.O.D. (that stands for Method Of Destruction), Chronamancer and Steel.

Once again, I apologize for the flash.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8406

M.O.D. is a cyborg, light brick with a ray-rifle which was cropped off in this pic.

Chronamancer is a martial artist with temporal powers.

Steel is a brick. I haven't built her yet or played her though. ;)

Mags

All right guys, I just bought a Compactflash Card reader, so here are a couple of practice shots from my camera's memory. I just snapped these with the flash, so pardon if the light is too bright. I'll take better pictures after I figure out how this camera works. :)

This first one is a generic MA, no name. We used him to represent Fiacho the night I took this pic.

We use him quite a bit, so he's a little chipped.

Mags

*grins* Any particular reason he's photographed on the description of 'Hunted'? ;)

These three are, from left to right, M.O.D. (that stands for Method Of Destruction), Chronamancer and Steel.

Once again, I apologize for the flash.

M.O.D. is a cyborg, light brick with a ray-rifle which was cropped off in this pic.

Chronamancer is a martial artist with temporal powers.

Steel is a brick. I haven't built her yet or played her though. ;)

Mags

Cool stuff. They're just what you want from minis - something instantly identifiable.

Darn it, now I have to go take pics of my team(s). :)

I've got some good pics of Sapphire, but I don't know if I can post them (I used her in a Digital Hero article, and I'm not sure if I can/should put those pics up here). I'm working on Grond and a squad of UNTIL agents right now; I'll probably do a squad or two of VIPER goons soon, and I've got a commissioned Harbinger of Justice to get done soon. :)

Ah, here's a few. Some bad guys... I'll try to take some shots of my heroes soon. :D

(Removed for space reasons. PM or email me if you'd like to see!) :)

Bill.

And just so you know, the shot with the three gals above, that's not a team pic. The minis just happened to be sitting on the shelf right above my computer when I tested out my new camera (well, new to me!). Notice the piled up gold necklace and the dragon pic? Totally random. Not staged at all.

Heh. Turned out ok, even with the too-bright light from the flash.

Mags

I've got some good pics of Sapphire, but I don't know if I can post them (I used her in a Digital Hero article, and I'm not sure if I can/should put those pics up here). I'm working on Grond and a squad of UNTIL agents right now; I'll probably do a squad or two of VIPER goons soon, and I've got a commissioned Harbinger of Justice to get done soon. :)

Ah, here's a few. Some bad guys... I'll try to take some shots of my heroes soon. :D

Bill.

Very cool stuff! I recognise the water sorceress from the Reaper line. Where are the others from? Any conversion going on there?

I was taking some practice pics of some minis and these minotaur ones turned out real dark and spooky. Thought I'd share them anyway. Wish I knew how to add light after the fact. Heh.

Mags

Very moody. :) Kinda looks like it's looming out of the darkness. Looks great as it is. :)

Yeah' date=' I'm having a [i']heckuva[/i] time getting the lighting right. The flash is too bright and with these extreme close-ups it washes out the minis. But if I cover the flash, then the pics come out too dark. What a bother. :straight:

I'll get it right eventually.

Mags

Try putting them against a white background, both beneath and behind them. Lay out a sheet or pillowcase, use some printer paper or comic backing boards, etc. Drag an extra lamp over and try to get more direct light in. Do 'em during the day if you can, and get actual sunlight in.

Try putting them against a white background' date=' both beneath and behind them. Lay out a sheet or pillowcase, use some printer paper or comic backing boards, etc. Drag an extra lamp over and try to get more direct light in. Do 'em during the day if you can, and get actual sunlight in.[/quote']

Will a white background make that big a difference? I'm already using a lamp to illuminate them...

Mags