Champions miniatures

Lupus

Re: Champions miniatures

AND! I come bearing gifts (Well, links anyway). For any serious sculptor, here comes your possible dream mini...

http://www.bronzeagemin.com/miniatures_html/25MM/GENERICS/generics.htm

Yup, blanks. Male and Female, nothing other than a plain body in a basic pose. Make ANYTHING you want with the buggers. And they are cheap to boot!

Wow! Thanks. I'd scrounge pennies to get these!* :)

Mags

*Well, not really, but you get the idea...

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very creative! Your washer solution would work with a lot of figs that have toppling problems. I'll have to remember that.

I really liked the speed suggested by this mini.

Thanks, I like her too. :)

The best thing about the washer solution is that it's inexpensive -- I got a box of 100 washers at the local hardware store for like 3 or 4 bucks.

BIll.

Eurostar: Left to Right; Scorpia' date=' Fiacho, Fuermacher (Yes, it's just Human Torch), Durak, Mentalla and Le Sone.[/quote']

I like, I really like, but think Mentalla needs a costume change.

The Champions: Left to Right; Witchcraft' date=' Defender, Ironclad, Nighthawk and Sapphire.[/quote']

The only one I am not big on is Ironclad. Otherwise top marks.

Justice Incorporated: Left to Right; Paragon' date=' Titan, Sabre, Sentinel, Mach, Ultraviolet and Mystic[/quote']

Too cool

Cheers

P.S.: How much of a V&V and LL fan are yah?

QM

Sorry for the delay, much much work travelling currently. :(

Question answering: Yes, I'm a big V&V fan as my avatar shows. Manta Man is still one of the best heroes in the world to me, though the Jeff Dee art has a lot to do with that. ;)

Here are a few more pics of some really lousy old minis I decided to "Silk purse from a sow's ear". Semi-successfully I think, but I'm biased. Once I have some real time, I'll be updating my page with a ton more pics.

New guys are Banzai, Masterman and Overlord (All by the now defunct Castle Creations) and the team pic is what I came up with for the Corlios Effect. The fire and earth elementals are very old Heritage minis from their superheros and supervillains set, the air emelental is from the DC Outsiders enemies pack by Grenadier and the water elemental is juat a Mage Knight fig.

Here's the Harbinger of Justice that I just finished for Steve...

The first picture is what the figure looked like when I got him (with some notes as to what I was planning to change).

The second is the design of the base (this Harbinger's for display, not for play, so Steve told me to go crazy on the base). :)

The next three are the finished product.

Sorry for the quality of the pics -- I didn't have my full studio set up so the focus and lighting are a little off. :stupid:

Enjoy!

Bill.

Nice!! I like the diorama base a lot. Cool conversion, I can only assume you dremmeled the purity seals off. If you hand sanded them...well, you are a braver man than I. ;)

BTW, I'm not sure I ever mentioned this, but thank you so much for the Digital Hero article on Superhero minis. I pretty much credit that article, Redmenace's work on HC Realms and Heroclix as the reasons I'm stilll modding/painting minis today.

Nice!! I like the diorama base a lot. Cool conversion' date=' I can only assume you dremmeled the purity seals off. If you hand sanded them...well, you are a braver man than I. ;)[/quote']

Yep, the dremmel is my friend. ;)

Someone asked me in PM how I did the base, so I figured I'd just say it here in case anyone else is interested.

The concrete sidewalk on which Harbinger is standing is 1mm cardstock. I used a circle cutter (you can get them at Michael's) to cut it in the half-circle shape. I used an X-acto knife to cut the edge of the sidewalk to look like it's crumbling. I used a triangular file to cut the "blocks" (the squares in the sidewalk... dunno what they're called), and carved out the cracks with a knife.

I used a bunch of brown stuff modeling epoxy to make the hill. Just built it up slowly. When I was happy with the height, I stuck the sidewalk on it. I cut off a straw from a juice box to make the pipe sticking out into the ditch.

The uneven ground in the ditch is just several layers of tallus glued on top of each other. The grass is static grass. The empty coke cans are itty bitty plastic tubing cut to the right size. The bullet casings on the sidewalk are the same thing, just thinner gauge and cut smaller.

The wanted posters are just pieces of paper cut to size, painted to look dirty, then written on with a teensy pen (.35 mm is the size of the pen, I think). They didn't turn out as well as I hoped; I guess my hand was shaking as I tried to write. :(

The water is superglue. When it dried, I painted it with a glossy sealer. It actually looks pretty good -- very muddy and gross-looking.

The dead guy is from a cheap, crappy wargame (same game as those UNTIL figs I posted earlier). I chopped off his arms, legs, and head, and reglued them to make him look dead. I thought about drilling holes in his torso for the bullet wounds, but decided that would look cheesy. ;)

BTW' date=' I'm not sure I ever mentioned this, but thank you so much for the Digital Hero article on Superhero minis. I pretty much credit that article, Redmenace's work on HC Realms and Heroclix as the reasons I'm stilll modding/painting minis today.[/quote']

Thank you! I'm glad you got some use out of it.

I finally finished Grond this weekend. I'll try to get some pics of him up soon. He looks really good. :D

Bill.

I should have taken a picture of my friend, Jim's, handiwork yesterday. First game session of his campaign so he rolled out the new terrain. All made with pieces of styrofoam packing material, cut and sculpted with a hot knife and with little streams (in some kind of shiny blue resin-like substance). Movement was all via tapemeasure.

I need to empty one of my rooms and commit the whole thing to projects like this. Miniatures and Terrain!

I need to empty one of my rooms and commit the whole thing to projects like this. Miniatures and Terrain!

I actually did this once. :D I had the non-hex Geohex terrain, which was ultra cool. We used tape measures to figure out the distances. It was wonderful for running outdoor battles. I also was into making the little buildings, fences, etc. using the Warhammer-style building templates. Trees bushes, the whole schmoo. ;)

Got hard up for money unfortunately and sold it all. Wish I hadn't.

I was sorting some of my miniatures today. Took a quick pic and thought I'd share:

attachment.php?attachmentid=9086

This is just some of them. Was sorting by RPG type.

Mags

Bill:

Love your new Grond version! All of the other Gronds I've seen have been based on the Abomination. This new one looks like it was based on one of the Hulk heroclix, yes? What did you use for the head, a Lizardman with horns taken from the Rhino or soemthing?

Any recipe info would be wonderful! (that goes for anyone else who posts some of their work... if at all possible, please share the wealth!).

Keith

Keith, ask and ye shall receive. ;)

Recipes by team:

Champions:

Sapphire (Rogue repaint, thanks Redmenace!!)

Witchcraft (Destiny with putty skirt, sash, booties, cuffs, cape medallions and hair)

Ironclad (Dreadnaught and a lot of putty)

Defender (Mandroid Body, Hands from Annilhus I think. Everything else Putty)

Nighthawk (Daredevil and putty)

Eurostar:

Fiacho (Klaw with a new hand a lot of putty)

Scorpia (Black Widow with putty boot cuffs and thanks again to Red menace for the recipe.)

Durak (Hulk just cleaned up and painted)

Mentalla (Saturn girl, all edging removed from boots, costume etc, then repainted)

Feurmacher (Human Torch, not even a repaint)

Le Sone (Blizzard with an awful lot of putty work).

Justice Inc:

Paragon (Arashi with a ton of putty work)

Sabre (SHIELD Agent Body, Nightwing Head, Blizzard left arm, Boomerrang right arm, putty collar and sword hilt, reaper sword)

Mach (Supersystem/superfig mini)

Ultraviolet (Saturn Girl repaint)

Sentinel (Crimson dynamo head and legs, Avalanche torso, Blizzard arms, closed hands from someone...lots of putty)

Mystick (Typhoid Mary head, Destiny body, lots of putty)

Titan (Sabretooth legs reposed, Bane Torso/Arms, Steel head, putty)

Grond: Two Abominations and some putty.

Thanks, guys. You make me blush! :redface:

He is a Heroclix Hulk, as Myrlyn guessed (actually, he's two Hulks -- I got them at "Free Comic Day" a couple of years ago, and they've been sitting in my box ever since).

I cut the arms off one, and the head off the other. I cut big chunks out of headless's shoulders to fit the new arms on, then filled in the gaps with green stuff. I also cut one finger off each hand (Grond's description says he's got only 3 fingers per hand), then filed the hand/wrist down to look right.

Since Hulk was wearing a torn-up shirt, I trimmed all the shirt bits off using a sharp X-acto knife and a very small file. This was the hardest part! (and I still don't think I got it quite right...)

The head came from a Reaper Lizardman Tyrant. I had to cut Hulk's neck down a little to make it fit properly.

The horns are (believe it or not) actually the tips of a couple of toothpicks! I filed the lizardman's head flat in those two places, then glued them on.

The only thing wrong with him is that he doesn't have the big flappy reptilian ears. But other than that, I think he turned out pretty good. Glad y'all like him. :D

Bill.

Thanks, guys. You make me blush! :redface:

He is a Heroclix Hulk, as Myrlyn guessed (actually, he's two Hulks -- I got them at "Free Comic Day" a couple of years ago, and they've been sitting in my box ever since).

I got three of those promo Hulks, and gave one away to a buddy. Still have the other two, but I haven't considered cutting them up.

Your Grond is nicely done. ;) I have the official Grond mini, plus another one (a huge, four armed, three fingered lizard guy) that I posted a pic of in the NGD Art thread (because I'm not finished painting him yet).

Mags

• 1 month later...

Another new guy...

Introducing: Zadyn (from Galactic Champions)! I was thinking of entering him into Proditor's modding contest, but I liked the Monster better.

He has the body of a VOID Black Legionaire, the arms of a VOID Sytha Tactical Androsynth, and the head of an old Ral Partha Tengu. The shoulder wings/spikes are cut down from a GW Swooping Hawk's wings. The lighting on the pictures don't really show the distinction betwen the red parts of his armor and the gold, but if you look close you can see them.

There's more to come, when I have some time to paint. Hope you like him! =:)

Bill.

More great work Bill. I'm not familiar with this guy (haven't picked up Galactic Champions), which is another reason why the Monster might have been the better entry for the contest. Still, this guy is another example of your modding skill. Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

Keith

Bluejay

These past few days I've been a paintin' machine. I owe it all to Proditor, who came up with the idea of a conversion contest, and to my own indecisiveness, for not being able to settle on one idea and instead trying to do a whole bunch.

Today: Bluejay (AKA Ms. "I'm not evil, I just want to steal sh*t"). ;)

Bill.

Thanks guys! Whoops, sorry Myrlyn. Bluejay's recipe:

She has the body of a Heroclix Queen Bee.

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/heroclix/dc/figuregallery.asp?unitid=4869

The head is Superfigs Flyer 3 (Blackbird).

http://www.superfigs.net/catalog.html

The wings are from a VOID Archangel.

http://www.i-kore.com/um/html/v_mingal_va.htm

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the Archangel wings and attached the support wire there (the wings alone weigh about 4x as much as the plastic Queen Bee fig, so there wasn't much point in supporting her w/o supporting the wings). I had to attach 3 (three!!!) steel washers to the base to support her weight (I dunno if you can tell from the picture, she's mostly hovering over/off the backside of the base, which makes her really unbalanced -- but with the washers, she's quite stable). Bluejay herself is pretty simple, but you need the support wire. :D

You can't really see in the picture, but there's a jay-like crest on her head, which is just putty.

The base: I blended a few shades of pale blue, then added gray/white blotches for clouds. I topped it with some cotton to make it look wispy, and coiled some more cotton up the support wire (both to disguise it and to give her more of an action pose.

Though her description says her wings are all blue, I decided to go with blue and white because the pictures of bluejays I found on the web indicate that many of them have white pinfeathers. Plus, it made her look more colorful. :)

Bill.

And here I thought *I* was devoting too much time to this hobby, with my regular miniature painting and my cardboard house building :)

Of course this week we changed up games again (so we did not get to use the infamous Castle Velcro I mentioned in another thread), but a player showed up with a house that he had cast in plaster! It had a removeable roof, square grid inside, a removeable second floor (so you could see the first floor) and a tiny little LED light attached to the underside of the second floor so when everything was replaced and the light was turned on, an eerie blue-white glow emanated from the inside windows.

Now the whole thing was only about 1' x 1', by 8", but still what a helluva lot of work!

And you guys are no better! You and yer modified, customezed miniatures. Yer making' me look bad!