Help me build my Gameday event!

buzz

Another ENWorld Chicago Gameday is coming up (tentatively scheduled for 10/16), and I plan to run a newbie-friendly Sidekick game loosely based on the WB's Smallville. Set in a small farm town, the PCs will all be teens with special abilities, a la Clark, though not quite as powerful. I want to keep things simple and straightforward so as not to overwhelm players who've never played HERO before.

E.g., the Clark analogue will basically be strong and damage resistant, and that's it. Then maybe we'll have the telepathic reporter for the school paper, the angsty kid who's Batman-in-training, "Kid Flash" the track star, and so on.

So, given these parameters, what kind of point totals should I be shooting for? Even though we're talking kids with superpowers here, I'm thinking that we'll still be in the "heroic" range, points-wise.

Any other newbie tips? Powers I should avoid? Good ways to explain system concepts?

TIA.

P.S.: We're still in the planning stages, so sign-ups for Gameday are not being accepted just yet. If you want to weigh in or submit an event, check out the planning thread:

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98770

Re: Help me build my Gameday event!

We've been running a campaign (http://www.universe-m.com/id41.html) called Motor City Knights. It is a 150pt "anything goes" game and it is a lot of fun.

I would avoid ECs and VPPs. Maybe 1 multipower if it makes sense, although the character descriptions you gave don't really support it.

If you keep things under 45 active points I think you will still get cool supers flavor without being too out there. Keep the characters iconic and schticky.

If you have access to the 5E Champions genre book, the section on "Teen Champions" (pp. 42-43) has some good tips. I also agree with mudpyr8's suggestions. A few other things I might point out:

Remember that these are teenagers, so a certain amount of teen angst would be appropriate even in a one-shot: sexual tension, desire to fit in (especially important with "freaks"), worry about homework/grades, rivalries and jealousies, etc. Secret identities would be very appropriate for the PCs under these circumstances.

You should decide at the start whether or not these kids all know about each others' powers - and maybe form some kind of informal club or gang - or discover them during the course of the adventure. The pro to the former approach is that it's easy to justify the kids being together and cooperating with each other, but it requires more of a backstory and shoehorns the players into particular roles and reactions, which may be less appropriate for a oneshot.

You might consider whether or not all these supers have a common origin. While that might be a bit limiting, it's great for an adventure in that the threat they have to face can be tied to that origin, making it easy to justify. For example, maybe illegal testing or dumping by a chemical or pharmaceutical company caused mutations in youngsters in the area, and now the company either wants to correct their embarrassing "mistake" or round up all these young assets for their own nefarious purposes.

I hope that helps. I'll give it some more thought and see what I can come up with. :)

If you have access to the 5E Champions genre book' date=' the section on "Teen Champions" (pp. 42-43) has some good tips.[/quote']

Indeed. I'll check that out after work.

You should decide at the start whether or not these kids all know about each others' powers...

I'm thinking that they should, as then time during the event doesn't have to be dedicated to their discovering each other's existence.

You might consider whether or not all these supers have a common origin.

I planned on this, sort of extending the "meteor rocks" concept from Smallville. Maybe a crashed alien spaceship back before they were born (semi-stealing from Wild Cards, sorta).

Getting back to the point above, I figure that there's been enough weirdness in the town that the "super teens" have had reason to come into contact in the past, ergo they are aware of each other and feel a certain fellowship. The population at large may even be peripherally aware of their existence, a la Buffy around season three. "There's been a lot of weird @#$! in this town, and I figured you guys were the best ones to handle it." They maye even jokingly refer to themselves as the "Super Friends". :)

• 5 weeks later...

First pregen: Tom

The thread necromancy begins...

Here's the first PC that I came up with. I decided to use the guidelines in Sidekick for Heroic PCs, points-wise, but plan to build them with superpowers that fit the concept. I'm trying to limit what I use to Sidekick, for the most part.

Tom is basically the brick, i.e., the Clark analogue. Advice is actively sought out. :)

Tom

Player:

Val** Char*** Cost
35** STR 25
13** DEX 9
20** CON 20
20** BODY 20
10** INT 0
10** EGO 0
10** PRE 0
13** COM 2
10** PD 3
10** ED 6
3** SPD 7
11** REC 0
42** END 1
48** STUN 0
*8"**RUN02"**SWIM07"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 93

Cost** Power END
10** Tom is inherrently tough: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED)* 0
4** Running +2" (8" total)* 1
7** Tom's system can handle it: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat)* 0
4** Tom won't budge: Knockback Resistance -2"* 0
Powers Cost: 25

Cost** Skill
4** PS: Farming 13-*
1** TF: Agricultural & Construction Vehicles*
3** Animal Handler 11-*
3** Power 12-*
7** Mechanics 13-*
Skills Cost: 18

Cost** Talent
14** Fearless*
Talents Cost: 14

Total Character Cost: 150

Val** Disadvantages
20** Dependent NPC: Parents, John and Annette 11- (Normal; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)*
10** Hunted: Littleton Sherrif's Dept. 11- (Less Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)*
20** Psychological Limitation: Code Against Killing (Common, Total)*
15** Social Limitation: Wants to keep his powers secret (Frequently, Major)*
5** Money: Poor*
5** Social Limitation: Teenager (Occasionally, Minor)*

Disadvantage Points: 75

Base Points: 75

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

• 2 weeks later...

Tom v2

Okay, prompted by some thinking anf the Teen Champions thread, I'm upping the power level to low-powered supers, i.e., 150+100. So, here's our new version of Tom the brick.

Tom

Player:

Val Char Cost
30/60 STR 20
17 DEX 21
23 CON 26
24 BODY 28
10 INT 0
13 EGO 6
20 PRE 10
13 COM 2
6/12 PD 0
6/12 ED 1
3 SPD 3
15 REC 8
60 END 7
56 STUN 5
12" RUN02" SWIM06"/12" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 137

Cost Power END
15 Tom can boost his STR, at a cost: +30 STR (30 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) 6
18 Tom has thick skin: Armor (6 PD/6 ED) 0
6 Tom is inherrently tough: Damage Resistance (6 PD/6 ED) 0
12 Tom won't budge: Knockback Resistance -6" 0
12 Tom's sight and hearing are enhanced: +3 PER with Sight Group and Hearing Group 0
7 Tom's system can handle it: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat) 0
12 Running +6" (12" total) 1
Powers Cost: 82

Cost Skill
4 PS: Farming 13-
1 TF: Agricultural & Construction Vehicles
3 Animal Handler 13-
3 Power 12-
7 Mechanics 13-
10 +2 with HTH Combat
3 Riding 12-
Skills Cost: 31

Total Character Cost: 250

Val Disadvantages
20 Dependent NPC: Parents, John and Annette 11- (Normal; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)
10 Hunted: Littleton Sherrif's Dept. 11- (Less Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
20 Psychological Limitation: Code Against Killing (Common, Total)
15 Social Limitation: Wants to keep his powers secret (Frequently, Major)
5 Money: Poor
5 Social Limitation: Teenager (Occasionally, Minor)
25 Dependence: Sunlight Powers Gain 14- Activation Roll (Very Common, 1 Turn)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 150

Okay, here's Kristin, the stealthy martial artist with the ability to become invisible.

Kristin

Player:

Val** Char*** Cost
8** STR -2
28** DEX 54
15** CON 10
10** BODY 0
13** INT 3
11** EGO 2
10** PRE 0
14** COM 2
6/12** PD 4
6/12** ED 3
5** SPD 12
10** REC 10
30** END 0
22** STUN 0
*8"**RUN42"**SWIM01 1/2"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 102

Cost** Power END
13** Kristin can "fade": Invisibility to Sight Group (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2)* 2
18** Kristin can roll with the punches: Armor (6 PD/6 ED)* 0
11** Kristin can heal very quickly: Healing 2 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (40 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Hour (-2 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)* 0
Powers Cost: 42

Cost** Martial Arts Maneuver
20** +5 HTH Damage Class(es)*
3** Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 7 1/2d6 Strike, Target Falls*
4** Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort*
4** Martial Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 43 STR to Disarm*
4** Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort*
4** Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 48 STR vs. Grabs*
3** Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 43 STR for holding on*
4** Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 8 1/2d6 Strike*
3** Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 6 1/2d6 +v/5, Target Falls*
4** Nerve Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 4 1/2d6 NND*
5** Offensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 10 1/2d6 Strike*
Martial Arts Cost: 58

Cost** Skill
6** +2 with Martial Maneuvers*
2** PS: Cooking 11-*
3** KS 12-*
3** Breakfall 15-*
3** Concealment 12-*
3** Contortionist 15-*
3** Fast Draw 15-*
3** Riding 15-*
3** Shadowing 12-*
3** Stealth 15-*
Skills Cost: 32

Cost** Talent
16** Combat Sense 13-*
Talents Cost: 16

Val** Disadvantages
10** Dependence: Food -20 Active Points from Affected Power (Very Common, 1 Hour) [Notes: Metabolism requires she eat constantly in order to maintain ability to "fade"]*
15** Dependent NPC: Jensen, her boyfriend 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)*
10** Hunted: Littleton Sherrif's Dept. 11- (Less Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)*
5** Hunted: Social Services 11- (Less Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)*
5** Money: Poor*
20** Psychological Limitation: Code Against Killing (Common, Total)*
10** Reputation: That girl whose parents died, 14- (Known Only To A Small Group)*
5** Social Limitation: Teenager (Occasionally, Minor)*
15** Social Limitation: Wants to keep her powers secret (Frequently, Major)*
5** Unluck: 1d6*

And now, we present Allison, the nosy reporter for the school paper with TK abilities she's just beginning to master.

Allison

Player:

Val Char Cost
8 STR -2
20 DEX 30
13 CON 6
10 BODY 0
18 INT 8
17 EGO 14
15 PRE 5
14 COM 2
6/12 PD 4
6/12 ED 3
4 SPD 10
10 REC 10
31 END 3
28 STUN 7
6" RUN02" SWIM01 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 100

Cost Power END
17 Allison has some powers that take effort: Telekinetic Control, 60-point powers, (30 Active Points); all slots Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
17 1) Allison can move things with her mind: Telekinesis (33 STR), Fine Manipulation (60 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 12
17 2) Allison can shield others: Force Wall (10 PD/10 ED; 4" long and 3" tall) (60 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 12
17 3) Allison can stop you in your tracks: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF (60 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 12
11 Allison has some powers she has mastered: Telekinetic Control, 22-point powers
11 1) Allison can levitate: Flight 11" (22 Active Points) 2
11 2) Allison can shield herself: Force Field (6 PD/6 ED) (Protect Carried Items) (22 Active Points) 2
11 3) Allison's TK blast: Energy Blast 6d6 (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Limited Range (Range reduced by half; -1/4) 3
Powers Cost: 112

Cost Skill
3 Criminology 13-
3 Deduction 13-
3 PS: Reporter 13-
5 Streetwise 13-
3 Sleight Of Hand 13-
3 Computer Programming 13-
3 Bribery 12-
7 Bureaucratics 14-
Skills Cost: 30

Cost Perk
3 Contact (Contact has access to major institutions) 11-
Perks Cost: 3

Cost Talent
5 Eidetic Memory
Talents Cost: 5

Val Disadvantages
10 Hunted: Littleton sheriiff's dept. 11- (Less Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
20 Psychological Limitation: Code against killing (Common, Total)
10 Psychological Limitation: Curious to a fault (Common, Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Overconfidence (Common, Moderate)
15 Reputation: Nosy reporter, 14-
15 Social Limitation: Wants to keep powers a secret (Frequently, Major)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Mental attacks (Uncommon)

The main thing I'm trying to come to grips with right now is guaging how many points my adversaries should be built on. From reading Champions and some of the published adventures, I get the impression that, if I have 4-6 PCs built on 250 points, I need 4-6 NPCs built on 250 points for a fair fight. If I have fewer NPCs, I need to build them on more points.

It seems like the major villains in Serpent's Tooth and Battlegrounds tend to be built on about twice the points of the PCs. I wondering, then, if I can use "lieutenant" villains at the standard 350 points (e.g., taken from CKC) as decent challenges for the group before they hit the Big Bad.

Anyone have any pointers on this?

This range should work with what your going for.

Mooks (red shirts) half PC points

Rivals : Same PC points

Heavy Hitters: 50% more than the PC's

Main Villian: x2 PC's point total.

if characters are build on 150...

Mooks: 75

rivals: 150

Hvy Hitters: 225

Villians: 300

This is not counting Disadvantage points but it is a good system for keeping the game a level playing field that keeps the heroes from winning to quickly.

I think it might be better (but sadder in some ways) for Kirstin's parents to still be alive' date=' but be distant, oblivious types who never pay much attention to her. When her powers started to develop and she accidentally turned invisible around them, they didn't notice. :stupid:[/quote']

Not a bad idea...

When you list this game for Gamesday make sure to list it as somthing like "Buffy: the Vampire Slayer meets Smallville meets the Life as We Know It", if you want a good mix of male and female players at the table.

Great characters so far BTW!!

Thanks for the kind words, levi. I was afraid the PCs might be too boring.

Here's how the event is listed in the sign-up thread (in my .sig, BTW):

Being a teenager in a small farm town isn't easy. Chores, homework, peer pressure, the opposite sex... battling aliens, stopping pyrokinetic kids from burning down the school, and trying to prevent the gym teacher from eating your dad's brain. Oh, and you're flunking math! Rough, dude.

A HERO Sidekick adventure. Rules will be taught and characters provided; no prior HERO experience necessary. Be sure to birng a lot of d6s.

I'm hoping this will be a lot of fun. It'll be the first HERO game I've GM'ed since... 1989? 1990?

You might seriously want to consider giving everyone the same speed. Speed 4 for everyone, except mooks, which would be speed 2. That way all the players get to go every phase, and players picking the low speed characters (without understanding the system) won't feel gypped.

I just know from experience playing open games after school that inexperienced players tend to get mad when other characters are getting twice as many actions as theirs are. Plus having everyone with speed 2 or 4 really simplifies the old speed chart, which is good if you want to actually work any roleplaying into a champions one shot.

You might seriously want to consider giving everyone the same speed. Speed 4 for everyone' date=' except mooks, which would be speed 2. That way all the players get to go every phase, and players picking the low speed characters (without understanding the system) won't feel gypped.[/quote']

Not a bad idea, though I did want to allow for some variety. I think 3-5 (2 for mooks, as suggested) will be the range, so it won't be too disparate.

Okay, here's Ryan, the psychic. He's modeled after the character of the same name from Smallville. He appeared in two episodes as a telepath abused by his foster parents; the Kent family attempts to adopt him.

He's souped up a bit here, and I gave him a hefty Reputation as a "bad seed". The townfolk seem to blame him for his missing parents and brand him as just plain no good. Feel free to offer a better way to make up those 15 points. :)

Ryan

Player:

Val Char Cost
8 STR -2
17 DEX 21
13 CON 6
8 BODY -4
13 INT 3
29 EGO 38
10 PRE 0
10 COM 0
3 PD 1
3 ED 0
4 SPD 13
5 REC 0
26 END 0
25 STUN 6
8" RUN42" SWIM01 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 86

Cost Power END
60 Ryan is psychic: Multipower, 60-point reserve
4u 1) Psychic trauma: Ego Attack 6d6 (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 6
6u 2) Mind-reading: Telepathy 8d6 (Human class of minds), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points) 0
3u 3) Two minds become one: Mind Link , Human class of minds, Any Willing Target, No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x8) (40 Active Points); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 0
5u 4) Obey me: Mind Control 12d6 (Human class of minds) (60 Active Points); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 6
4u 5) Shut off your optic nerve: Sight Group Flash 6d6, Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 6
6u 6) Mental static: Change Environment 8" radius, -4 to Characteristic Roll or Skill Roll, -4 to Characteristic Roll or Skill Roll, Multiple Combat Effects, Personal Immunity (+1/4) (57 Active Points) [Notes: -4 to INT rolls and Intellect skill rolls] 6
20 Ryan has psychic defenses: Mental Defense (26 points total) 0
13 Ryan's will is strong: Power Defense (20 points) (20 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type of Attack (attacks versus, or involving, mental/psionic powers; -1/2) 0
7 Ryan can sense others who are "awakened": Mental Awareness, +2 to PER Roll, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) 0
Powers Cost: 128

Cost Skill
5 Gambling 13-
3 Stealth 12-
3 Streetwise 11-
5 Survival 13-
4 KS: Comic books 13-
Skills Cost: 20

Cost Talent
16 Combat Sense 13-
Talents Cost: 16

Val Disadvantages
20 Psychological Limitation: Code Against Killing (Common, Total)
10 Hunted: Littleton sherriff's dept 11- (Less Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
10 Psychological Limitation: Fear of abandonment (Uncommon, Strong)
20 Dependent NPC: Foster parents: Kyle and Susan 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)
15 Reputation: Bad seed, 14-

Okay, here's Sam the speedster, modeled somewhat after Smallville's Pete. My main concern here is that he doesn't have any resistant defenses. I'm hoping that his ability to simply not get hit compensates.

Sam

Player:

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
28 DEX 54
18 CON 16
13 BODY 6
10 INT 0
13 EGO 6
10 PRE 0
10 COM 0
6 PD 4
6 ED 2
4/6 SPD 2
6 REC 0
36 END 0
27 STUN 0
26" RUN02" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 90

Cost Power END
5 Impact Resistance: +10 PD (10 Active Points); Only protects against damage from MoveBy/Throughs the character performs (-1)
13 Sam can push his speed: +2 SPD (20 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) 2
50 Sam can run really fast: Running +20" (26" total), x8 Noncombat 5
7 Sam can run up walls: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4), Must make at least a half move each phase (-1/4) 0
24 Sam's speedy attack manuevers: Elemental Control, 48-point powers
15 1) Battering Ram: (Total: 48 Active Cost, 30 Real Cost) Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); Only with Move Through/By Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 12) plus +6 with any three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks (Real Cost: 18) 3
16 2) Rapid-Fire Punch: Hand-To-Hand Attack +9d6 (45 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 4
16 3) Sam can dodge: +8 with DCV (40 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) 4
Powers Cost: 146

Cost Skill
3 Combat Driving 15-
5 Conversation 12-
3 Mechanics 11-
3 Paramedics 11-
Skills Cost: 14

Val Disadvantages
15 Dependent NPC: His mother, June 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
10 Hunted: Brett Cotton's auto-theft gang 8- (Less Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
10 Hunted: Littleton sherriff's dept. 11- (Less Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
20 Psychological Limitation: Code against killing (Common, Total)
20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Electricity (Common)

Okay, here's Michael, our version of Lex. This is another PC that I thinking will need to duck for cover when the fighting starts, but should still be able to handle himself.

Michael

Player:

Val Char Cost
13 STR 3
19 DEX 27
13 CON 6
10 BODY 0
13 INT 3
20 EGO 20
18 PRE 8
10 COM 0
6 PD 3
6 ED 3
4 SPD 11
6 REC 0
27 END 1
24 STUN 0
8" RUN42" SWIM03 1/2" LEAP1Characteristics Cost: 90

Cost Power END
10 9mm Browning HP: [Notes: 1d6+1 Killing, 20 shots] 0
5 A brief flash of panic: +4 with DCV (20 Active Points); Only versus designated person's attacks (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Instant (-1/2), Only versus beings with minds/emotions (-1/2), Michael must speak to the target (-1/4) 2
60 Multipower, 60-point reserve
3u 1) Michael can alter your emotions: Mind Control 10d6 (Human and Animals classes of minds) (60 Active Points); Only to alter/inflict emotional states (-1/2), Michael needs to speak to the target (-1/4) 6
5u 2) Michael can inspire courage: Aid PRE 4d6, Ranged (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Michael needs to speak to the target (-1/4) 0
4u 3) Miichael can instill fear: Drain PRE 3d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2) (52 Active Points); Michael must speak to the target (-1/4) 5
Powers Cost: 87

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 4 1/2d6 Strike
3 Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 2 1/2d6 +v/5, Target Falls
5 Offensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 6 1/2d6 Strike
Martial Arts Cost: 20

Cost Skill
5 Bribery 14-
3 Bureaucratics 13-
3 Concealment 12-
3 Conversation 13-
3 Fast Draw 13-
3 High Society 13-
5 PS: Executive 14-
3 Persuasion 13-
3 Security Systems 12-
6 +2 with Martial Maneuvers
6 +2 with handguns
Skills Cost: 43

Cost Perk
10 Money: Wealthy
Perks Cost: 10

Val Disadvantages
5 Hunted: FBI 8- (Less Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
15 Hunted: Father, John 8- (Less Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
10 Hunted: Littleton sherriff's dept. 11- (Less Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
5 Hunted: SEC 8- (Less Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
10 Psychological Limitation: Code against killing (needlessly) (Common, Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Distrustful of others (Very Common, Moderate)
15 Reputation: Wealthy bad boy, 14-
10 Social Limitation: Known all over the world (Frequently, Minor)

Okay, the basic scenario I'm picturing involves

1. An initial confrontation with some 150-point "mooks" to ease poeple into the mechanics of combat

2. A full-on brawl with some "lieutenant" NPCs at about 350 points; maybe half as many as there are players

3. The final confrontation with the Big Bad, a single 500-point monstrosity.

The premise revolves around a disgruntled employee (and long-time town resident) who finds a cache of alien technology. He starts selling this technology to anyone who can afford his prices. Consequently, there have been a rash of thefts in town. Some rogue teens have gotten wind of his "business", and are scraping together enough illegal cash to outfit themselves as "superheroes". Mr. Disgruntled has also been selling some lesser weapons tech to a local biker gang.

Gang = mooks.

Teens = lieutenants.

Mr. Disgruntled = Big Bad.

The gang raids the local hangout where the PCs congregate. At the end of the fight, they realize that the reason the gang hit their hangout is becasue the rogue teens are already robbing the local bank... and they're doing it dressed up as some of the X-Men. Yup, spandex and all. Their powers don't exactly match their respective costumes, but it's close enough. Thankfully for the players, theire powers are unreliable, and eventually backfire enough that it put their lives in danger.

The PCs then have to trace all this back to the Big bad, who of course has kitted himself out with all sort of high-tech weaponry, having fully expected that someone might come after him.

That's what I've got, and time is running short. Anone want to offer ideas to help connect all the dots? :)