Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

If you associate this with the cheesy potatoskins there' date=' even if you know it might not be and even if so just that one time, you'll never eat them anyway just due to the psych association. I got really really ill after eating an Applebee's chili-burger, can't bring myself to eat one even now. Now I am not sickened at the thought, but they just don't appeal to me anymore[/quote']

Enforcer84, hope you're feeling better.

To this day, I can't eat cream puffs. Ate way too many at five years old. Took me until my 20s where I could deal with the smell without feeling queesy.

WARNING: If you are an arachnophobe, do not read past this point.

So I'm having a good sleep last night when Jenn wakes me and asks me to catch a spider. I'm thinking "the spider can wait" until she points it out.

Pretty huge and sitting on the wall about four feet above my head. I get a plastic card box (good for 150 cards or one spider) and flip the spider into it. The spider is pissed and I get a look at it's belly. Very nicely defined hourglass. I didn't sleep so well after. Normally, I just take the spiders outside. Today we are going to Bryce Canyon.

When I was five, one of the places we lived in was infested with black widows. I was prohibited from going into the garage without an adult. And once I poked my head into the doghouse in the back yard (it came with the place, a rental duplex) and looked up; there were at least a dozen of the things.

That said, they aren't aggressive, just too venomous for their own good.

Eeesh.

Warning appreciated, Cancer.

Unfortunately for me, I am too curious for my own good. At least it's far away enough from bedtime that I'll have forgotten that by the time I climb into bed tonight.

And even if I don't, Josh will be there to comfort my irrational self.

Eeesh.

Warning appreciated, Cancer.

Unfortunately for me, I am too curious for my own good. At least it's far away enough from bedtime that I'll have forgotten that by the time I climb into bed tonight.

And even if I don't, Josh will be there to comfort my irrational self.

My older brother really dislikes spiders, too. Yet he sat up late one night watching Arachnophobia. He couldn't sleep properly for a week. :rolleyes:

My older brother really dislikes spiders' date=' too. Yet he sat up late one night watching [i']Arachnophobia[/i]. He couldn't sleep properly for a week. :rolleyes:

It took me YEARS to figure out not to watch horror movies. I mean, at all. Not not just before bed, and not avoiding them at sleepovers. I just can't watch the things, or I drive Josh up a wall.

If you associate this with the cheesy potatoskins there' date=' even if you know it might not be and even if so just that one time, you'll never eat them anyway just due to the psych association. I got really really ill after eating an Applebee's chili-burger, can't bring myself to eat one even now. Now I am not sickened at the thought, but they just don't appeal to me anymore[/quote']

Chocolate covered cherries - ate too many, and then got a violent nosebleed, not related to each other except in mind, still don't eat many cherries, and no chocolate covered cherries

Champ's Resteraunt in Tukwila, WA - Food poisoning from their chicken sandwich with Mayo. Got quesy stomached driving by the place.

But seriously, do they turn you into that stereotypical "Wife who hear things in the middle of the night"?

No. Worse.

I already DO hear things in the middle of the night - it's always the cats, and never startles me for long. Besides, most nights, Josh is working. (He works overnights at a call center, you see . . .)

But after I've watched a horror movie, I can't go ANYWHERE without freaking out. I'm okay if I'm in bed, buried under the covers, but showers, basements, hallways, outdoors, dark windows . . . just about anything can freak me out.

It's awful. T v T

Out at the observatory one literally dark and stormy night, about 2 hours before dawn I went to the TQ [Transient's Quarters, the visiting astronomers' dorm, and location of the bigscreen TV] to tell the night assistant that I was giving up and that he could go home. I turned the corner into the room just as the satanic mass-murder scene in Evilspeak was starting. A few minutes and much carnage after that, I broke loose of the brain-eater's grip and asked if there was a point to all of this, at which point someone explained the movie to me, and I told the night assistant he could leave.

Then I had to walk up to the telescope, in the starless, moonless dark in the howling wind with only a cheesy old-fashioned 2-D-cell flashlight with fading batteries. Brrrrrr.

No, I don't like horror movies either.

My most memorable experiences come from the number of times we've had a hall light go out during a slumber party, and we just watched a scary movie.

Our bathroom was upstairs, through said dark hallway, with the light switch on the outside of the room. My sisters tell me that, when I was 5 or 6, I was so scared to go use the ladies' that my older sister (7 or 8) had to come with me. The hall light was out, and we were both freaked out by the play of the flashlight on the shiny bathroom walls. We darted into the bathroom, turned on the light, and locked the door.

My oldest sister, meanwhile (10 or 11) followed us up with HER friends and, at just the right moment, turned off the light.

My sisters tell me I screamed and screamed and screamed. I don't remember.

But ever since then, I can't be in a darkened bathroom.

No movie ever scared me like my own mind.

That has a nice ring to it, doesn't it . . .

Indeed it does . . .

Which is true for me, in a way. But movies tend to give my imagination the fuel for precisely WHAT might be lurking in those shadows . . .

Strangely, this would all result in great relief if I was ever frightened while walking home at night to discover it was only a serial murderer following me. Very odd.

Strangely' date=' this would all result in great relief if I was ever frightened while walking home at night to discover it was only a serial murderer following me. Very odd.[/quote']

Heh. I first arrived in Seattle in summer 1974 at the tag end of the Ted Bundy scare. There were lots of seriously scared people here then, and a non-trivial number of women were packing heat.

Heh. I first arrived in Seattle in summer 1974 at the tag end of the Ted Bundy scare. There were lots of seriously scared people here then' date=' and a non-trivial number of women were packing heat.[/quote']

While riding my bike, another cyclist passed me, then slowed down and started chatting. After learning I was new to town he points over to a bend in the river, that's where they drug out one of the bodies. Oh joy, I lived 200 yards from the Green River.

Heh. I first arrived in Seattle in summer 1974 at the tag end of the Ted Bundy scare. There were lots of seriously scared people here then' date=' and a non-trivial number of women were packing heat.[/quote']

Hmmm. That's a thought . . .

Though . . . do handguns work on the things that lurk in shadows? I know shotguns work on zombies . . . :think:

My most memorable experiences come from the number of times we've had a hall light go out during a slumber party' date=' and we just watched a scary movie... My sisters tell me I screamed and screamed and screamed. I don't remember.[/quote']

A friend told me once of a story about his sadistic dad. When he was seven or so, his dad let him stay up late and watch something called The Tingler, where (if I'm remembering the description correctly; I haven't seen it myself) the monster was a 3-foot-long slug-oid thing that strangled people with the tentacles it had where a slug has eyestalks, in the dark.

After the movie was over, his dad put him to bed. About a minute after the light was turned off, an arm-size slug-type thing fell on him, which began an episode of hysterical screaming.

His dad had stuffed a sweatsock full of dirty laundry, and pitched it on him in the dark, and laughed....

No movie ever scared me like my own mind.

That has a nice ring to it, doesn't it . . .

I'm kinda there with you.

I grew up on a steady diet of horror films. Saw Alien on the big screen when I was 10. No problems.

The Evening News is what gives me nightmares.

and everyonce in a while a more "realistic" tv show.

I refuse to watch Law and Order: Special Victims Unit anymore.

I've known too many "special victims" and seen too many miscarriages of justice in the real world.

I don't need hollywood feeding me fictional ones that are carefully scripted to gut punch me.