Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

She weighs 95 lbs and I've went round and round with her mother about her diet and hygeine. It's heart-rending to learn that her abuse (IMO) has lead to Hannah having diabetes, now...

I guess that's all I have to say about it for now. I'm really lost and broken by the whole thing.

I am so sorry to hear that, Savinien. I wish there was something I could do or say that would help. About all I can do, I'm afraid, is keep the both of you in my prayers. :(

Guest kawaii gin neko

I am so sorry to hear that' date=' Savinien. I wish there was something I could do or say that would help. About all I can do, I'm afraid, is keep the both of you in my prayers. :([/quote']

i've got two kids who're kinda like that in my group. one litle girl turned her nose up at the grape juice we had and proudly said "all my mom makes me drink is soda."

>.<

i was like "dang..."

so, when i see them on the playground, laying in the grass or listlessly sitting in a swing, i go get them up and make them do SOMETHING. even if its just four-square...

ps: could it maybe be that her bladder just isn't big enough for the rest of her? my cousin had that problem, and he started wetting the bed right about hannah's age...he grew out of it after like, almost a year...

that's what they make those goodnites for, you know. ^_^

just throwin' it out there...i hope that's all it is...

neko: what's your favorite season?

kindergardener: faaaaaaaaaaaall. ((it was said just like that ^^))

neko: really? its my favorite, too.

kindergardener: i like it when a leaf hits my cheek...they named fall that because of the leaves falling, you know.

neko: oh? i did not know that.

kindergardener: well, its true. you're a grown-up, you should know that.

^__________^ SHE IS SO CUTE!!!

neko: what's your favorite season?

kindergardener: spriiiiiiiiiiiing!

neko: Oh sweet God, is it three o'clock yet?

;)

Unfortunately, at least from a legal standpoint, there's no precedent of bad nutritional fulfillment and contributing to obesity as abuse.

Yeah but when she get actually sick from it? There are plenty of fat kids around who are not sick just large.

And it is also the hygenie problem those two things should make it easy to determine who is the better parent.

I am so sorry to hear that' date=' Savinien. I wish there was something I could do or say that would help. About all I can do, I'm afraid, is keep the both of you in my prayers. :([/quote']

I can't say anything better than that, although I'll say "thoughts" instead of "prayers." Good luck. Maybe, in some weird way, this will help her get her (your daughter) life straight now instead of when it's too late (?).

I can't say anything better than that' date=' although I'll say "thoughts" instead of "prayers." Good luck. Maybe, in some weird way, this will help her get her (your daughter) life straight now instead of when it's too late (?).[/quote']

Log, sorry about your back, too. Hope it heals quickly.

Over the past weekend, my daughter wet the bed. She turned 6 in August and this was a pretty strange occurence. I've been separated from her mother since before Hannah was born (and yes I am here biological father). But, I have Hannah at least once a week and sometimes 3 days/nights.

Anyway, she stopped wetting the bed years ago and her mother hadn't mentioned anything about it. I found out on Saturday, when I took Hannah back home that the bed-wetting wasn't a single anomaly. It had been happening for a week or so fairly regularly.

My wife (Hannah's step-mother, Heidi) immediately was peeved when she found out I wasn't warned about this. The more we thought about it, the more we realized how strange it was. Hannah has two younger half-siblings now and has experienced more regression than I like to ponder. I atributed the bed-wetting to that. Heidi on the other hand wondered if it wasn't a bladder infection.

I immediately called the ex to have her take Hannah to the doctor. Well, I found out today it isn't a bladder infection. Instead, it is likely that Hannah has diabetes.

She weighs 95 lbs and I've went round and round with her mother about her diet and hygeine. It's heart-rending to learn that her abuse (IMO) has lead to Hannah having diabetes, now...

I guess that's all I have to say about it for now. I'm really lost and broken by the whole thing.

I take it this is the "type 2" diabetes as opposed to the more inherent "type 1". How does bedwetting count as a symptom, other than the need to urinate more?

JG

We don't know what type it is yet, but yes, wetting the bed is a symptom because of the increased urination, thirst, etc. So far, her regular doctor took blood and reported very high glocose levels... He didn't say diabetes for sure... but felt the chance high enough that she needs to go to a clinic to find out for certain.

Yes. There must be a genetic predisposition for diabetes. Unfortunately, that exists in my family. My father and his brothers, and my grandfather all had diabetes. But, I don't have diabetes. It can be held offand somtimes prevented altogether by excercise and good eating habits.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I too hope this is a wake-up call for Hannah's mother and we can use this tragic incident to be more dilligent in Hannah's health.

It is really frustrating and difficult for me, and has been for the majority of Hannah's life. I recognized unhealthy trends, but don't have Hannah enough to make my trends the norm. So, instead it was a constant struggle with trying to get her to eat foods her mother doesn't make her eat. Hannah felt like it was some sort of punishment and staying with her Father was like being in a gulag.

It's been a difficult thing to deal with.

Guest kawaii gin neko

It is really frustrating and difficult for me, and has been for the majority of Hannah's life. I recognized unhealthy trends, but don't have Hannah enough to make my trends the norm. So, instead it was a constant struggle with trying to get her to eat foods her mother doesn't make her eat. Hannah felt like it was some sort of punishment and staying with her Father was like being in a gulag.

It's been a difficult thing to deal with.

does she not fall for that "fine, if you don't want it, then i'll eat it cause i'm cool" thing? that always works with the y-kids...if they're all like "ew, apple juice!" then i'll say "cool, more for me!" and then they're all like "wait! i want some!!!"

^^

or, maybe you could trick her into eating healthy? like, using applesauce instead of sugar in cakes and cookies and that sorta thing?

course, you've probably already tried all this with like, zero success, ne? ~_~ sucks...

Once eating habits are established very early on, I think it's quite difficult to undo, unfortunately. I recall something about sweets and brain receptors and how that can get developed early on, though my memory is quite vague here. However, it would stand to reason - the first sense a young person well-develops is the sense of smell, which is why people tend to have deep-rooted emotional associations triggered by certain scents. And I would GUESS (which could be dangerously wrong!) that given the association of smell and taste that taste would be right behind smell in development, so I imagine that powerful associations are developed quite early there.

Although left to themselves and without cultural/familial imposition, I have heard from a number of places that infants will eat foods that are good for them, that they individually need, and not eat foods they have less need of. Of course, growing infants DO need some fat in their diet, and I presume more than adults (a little bit of fat in an adult diet is healthy, we learned, after my wife's gall bladder was removed as she had, for a time, radically altered her diet from heavy in fats to zero fats - of course the cause of the gall bladder dysfunction was the radical change in diet more than it being zero fats, but the doctor did mention as well that a bit of fat in an adult diet is necessary, on the whole).

Of course I"m entirely unqualified here in terms of the more speculative comments...

does she not fall for that "fine, if you don't want it, then i'll eat it cause i'm cool" thing? that always works with the y-kids...if they're all like "ew, apple juice!" then i'll say "cool, more for me!" and then they're all like "wait! i want some!!!"

^^

or, maybe you could trick her into eating healthy? like, using applesauce instead of sugar in cakes and cookies and that sorta thing?

course, you've probably already tried all this with like, zero success, ne? ~_~ sucks...

Right. It has been attempted.

She's a stubborn intelligent kid. She just didn't have the 'eat healthy' ingrained into her when she was younger. Her mother had a very high metabolism and NEVER ate healthy.

PS - of course in Savinien's daughter's case, the dramatic events of early discovery of diabetes will likely have a positive diet impact, especially if the treatment clears up her bedwetting, thereby producting a strong positive reinforcement to her new diet. I really hope the drama is crystal-clear to the ex-, as well.

PS - of course in Savinien's daughter's case' date=' the dramatic events of early discovery of diabetes will likely have a positive diet impact, especially if the treatment clears up her bedwetting, thereby producting a strong positive reinforcement to her new diet. I really hope the drama is crystal-clear to the ex-, as well.[/quote']

This is what Heidi and I are hoping as well. It just sucks that it had to come to this. It would suck worse if another path is taken, though.

I have this fear that Hannah will become even more 'babied' than she already is. So far, this has been a common tactic in her upbringing at her mother's house. I only wish I could make a stronger stance and actually do something about it.

Although left to themselves and without cultural/familial imposition' date=' I have heard from a number of places that infants will eat foods that are good for them, that they individually need, and not eat foods they have less need of.[/quote']

In my experiences, mobile infants left to their own devices make a beeline for the dog food bowl, then head right for the cat box (and I don't mean the place where the cats are fed.) I guess this serves to show that most infants really need more kibble and cat feces in their diets - it would certainly have made life easier if I could have dumped a big pile of Purina Baby Chow on the floor instead of playing the "Airplane Game" with pureed carrots.

This is what Heidi and I are hoping as well. It just sucks that it had to come to this. It would suck worse if another path is taken, though.

I have this fear that Hannah will become even more 'babied' than she already is. So far, this has been a common tactic in her upbringing at her mother's house. I only wish I could make a stronger stance and actually do something about it.

Ugh, sorry.

In my experiences' date=' mobile infants left to their own devices make a beeline for the dog food bowl, then head right for the cat box (and I don't mean the place where the cats are fed.) I guess this serves to show that most infants really need more kibble and cat feces in their diets - it would certainly have made life easier if I could have dumped a big pile of Purina Baby Chow on the floor instead of playing the "Airplane Game" with pureed carrots.[/quote']

Well, I was talking about children of relatively normal parents, not the Spider's kids...

(hey, time to pick on someone's avatar besides mine!)

That was pretty funny, btw. I did col.

Guest kawaii gin neko

Right. It has been attempted.

She's a stubborn intelligent kid. She just didn't have the 'eat healthy' ingrained into her when she was younger. Her mother had a very high metabolism and NEVER ate healthy.

dang.

intelligent kids...they're the worst, ne? ^^ kidding...

she's gonna be maaaad at her mother once she gets older though...like, once she realizes that eating healthy is one of the most important things you can do, she's gonna be PISSED. hardcore!

like my friend, jen, her mother fed her fast food her whole life, and then when she got older and didn't have the same energy as the rest of us, lower metabolism and kept gaining weight, she was LIVID! i remember her having this HUGE argument with her mother over how many times a week they had pizza...it was crazy, cause i was all like ";_; you get pizza?" lol ^^

*pats* so no worries. as far as her thinking of you as being the evil, here-eat-this-carrot parent, it'll change. ^_^

Just for the record, Diabetes 2 does not require a genetic predisposition. It can be brought on strictly by abuse of the endocrin system via rapid weight gain, rapid weight loss, stress, smoking, etc. I developed D2 in the summer of '04 and there is no history of it in my family at all. However, I was eating myself to death as a reaction to very high stress and deprsssion. Now my system will always be in less than nominal health no matter how much weight I lose.