Iconic Champions ( 4e )

Metaphysician

What if the 4e Champions, instead of being retconned out of existence, were the ( or at least a ) big name, iconic team in the current Champions Universe?? How would you do this?? In what manner would they be developed beyond what was last seen in 4e??

Note: the Battle of Detroit is a sticking point, as they'd pretty much need to miss it to survive, but OTOH, having them miss the battle because they are, say, offworld at the time, provides a convenient explanation for why they'd be the most powerful major superhero team- they are the only ones that didn't get their veteran roster eviscerated.

Re: Iconic Champions ( 4e )

In Watchers of the Dragon there was an expanded character sheet for Seeker, who used a lot of experience and became a lot tougher than he was originally.

The Ultimate Mentalist did the same thing for Solitaire.

As for the others, I could see Jaguar either quitting the hero business altogether and focusing on being a detective, or else buying off some of his disadvantages.

As for the others, I don't know of the top of my head, but I will check tonight when I get home.

If we assume the 4E Champions are all in the 500-600 point range there'd be no real reason for them to miss the Battle of Detroit. I think only a few heroes died that day not dozens.

Defender: would have evolved closer to Ironman and would have multiple suits for different missions. Defender would continue to work with the Champions but I think he would join UNTIL and become part of UNITY.

Jaguar: would become Hero-King of the Jaguarungi people of South America. This hidden tribe of lycantropes have access to a vast array of herbal medications which Jaguar would use to cure various diseases around the world. He would continue to work with the Champions in a reserve capacity.

Quantum: would become the leader of the Champions after Defender joins UNITY. Quantum would marry the ex-villain Black Mamba after he has been cured to the point of being able to control his ability to turn into the serpentine form. Black Mamba will join the Champions. They have two children ages 5 and 3.

Obsidian: will return home after his father, the King, is assassinated. The Champions will uncover and defeat the imperial menace but Obsidian will be forced to assume rulership, and thus abandon the team. Obsidian, seeing the virtues of his time on Earth will send his younger sister, Opaque back to Earth with the Champions to learn and mature as he did.

Seeker: will evolve into the premier fighting man on the planet after the WotD. Seeker will stay with the Champions but will frequently be off doing solo missions, and will be considered a reservist nearly as much as an active member. Seeker will marry Wendy Brooks, but the two of them will divorce shortly thereafter as Seeker's tendency to leap into things will take an emotional toll on Wendy. Seeker will be seen in the company of many high profile women after that, including Lady Blue.

Solitaire: will become the Sorceress Supreme but will stay with the Champions. She will take on an apprentice named Ms. Arcane who will also join the Champions. Ms. Arcane's is not a true sorceress but instead a mutant who can bend the laws of nature to her bidding. Solitaire will marry Vincent Dimitrios who was archmage before her, but was drained of his arcane energy in some, as yet, unknown way.

The Champions 2004 team would consist of:

Quantum (leader)

Black Mamba

Opaque

Seeker (semi-active)

Solitaire

Ms. Arcane

Jaguar (reservist)

Defender (reservist)

The 4ed Champions Universe book included a more experienced version of the Champions team, iirc.

I seem to remember also seeing an updated (and rather darker) Seeker in an Adventurer's Club article -- it might have been the one when the original Dark Champions came out.

I will check on these when I get home, and confirm their existence.

I like MitchellS ideas, but in keeping with the idea that high powered heroes should be controversial...

Defender: Somewhat disillusioned with the constant failures to campture his enemies, and their neverending escapes from prison, Defender becomes a much darker character. Some say he became deranged after the Battle of Detroit, where so many died. He starts using his money to finance other heroes, wearing copies of his original armor, while constructing a tank sized armored suit for himself. He is preparing for a final, apocalyptic battle against his enemies, Dark Knight style...

Quantum: As her powers continue to increase, Quantum becomes less able to control them. After she badly injures a corrupt hospital administrator, she is placed on the wanted list by Primus, under the label "Dangerous Freak #372". Utilizing her powers in ways never used before, Quantum blasts off into space, where she resumes her quest for justice by attacking any aliens she encounters, making them learn English, and adopting American-style Democracy. She hopes to one day return to Earth, after she has found the aliens who keep attacking it.

Solitaire: Disturbed by her other teammates, Solitaire decides to form the Champions II team. Made up entirely of low powered mystical characters, several of them get killed in every scenario as they confront much more powerful enemies. Solitaire is unconcerned however, as her "psychic hotline" allows her to quicklylocate potential new recruits.

Obsidian: After getting pummeled by Ogre and Bulldozer, Obsidian decides that he has had enough of the peasants on this planet. He builds a radio, phones home, and within a few months the alien battlefleet arrives. Under Obsidian's direction, they conduct a deal with several governments to act as planetary peacekeepers agaisnt metahumans, much to the anger of UNTIL. Metahuman criminals captured by them are taken away to secret labs offplanet, where they are dissected in bizarre experiments. Periodically, hires some anonymous aliens to threaten the Earth, after which he demands an increased budget and powers. His greatest fear is that Quantum may somehow find out what he is doing.

Seeker: Upon learning from his doctor that he has a form of brain damage, from getting beat up so much, Seeker retires from superheroics...and enters politics. Some were surprised at the amount of financing he was able to raise from his horde of contacts, everyone was surprised when he became the PRime Minister of Australia. He quickly declared Australia a republic, broke remaining connections with the United Kingdom, and started a nuclear program to keep Australia safe from something called "the Dragon". Occasionally the Green Dragon, now the Ambassador to Australia from the People's Republic of China, attempts to goad him into a fight.

While the Champions have now split into two teams, and some members are inactive, they still recieve quarterly statements from their accountants. Comics, action figures, and the cartoon show continue to do well, much to their disgust.

If we assume the 4E Champions are all in the 500-600 point range there'd be no real reason for them to miss the Battle of Detroit. I think only a few heroes died that day not dozens.

"Almost 50 superheroes. . . lost their lives as they struggled against Dr Destroyer." -pg 77, Champions Universe.

Defender: would have evolved closer to Ironman and would have multiple suits for different missions. Defender would continue to work with the Champions but I think he would join UNTIL and become part of UNITY.

Jaguar: would become Hero-King of the Jaguarungi people of South America. This hidden tribe of lycantropes have access to a vast array of herbal medications which Jaguar would use to cure various diseases around the world. He would continue to work with the Champions in a reserve capacity.

Quantum: would become the leader of the Champions after Defender joins UNITY. Quantum would marry the ex-villain Black Mamba after he has been cured to the point of being able to control his ability to turn into the serpentine form. Black Mamba will join the Champions. They have two children ages 5 and 3.

Obsidian: will return home after his father, the King, is assassinated. The Champions will uncover and defeat the imperial menace but Obsidian will be forced to assume rulership, and thus abandon the team. Obsidian, seeing the virtues of his time on Earth will send his younger sister, Opaque back to Earth with the Champions to learn and mature as he did.

Seeker: will evolve into the premier fighting man on the planet after the WotD. Seeker will stay with the Champions but will frequently be off doing solo missions, and will be considered a reservist nearly as much as an active member. Seeker will marry Wendy Brooks, but the two of them will divorce shortly thereafter as Seeker's tendency to leap into things will take an emotional toll on Wendy. Seeker will be seen in the company of many high profile women after that, including Lady Blue.

Solitaire: will become the Sorceress Supreme but will stay with the Champions. She will take on an apprentice named Ms. Arcane who will also join the Champions. Ms. Arcane's is not a true sorceress but instead a mutant who can bend the laws of nature to her bidding. Solitaire will marry Vincent Dimitrios who was archmage before her, but was drained of his arcane energy in some, as yet, unknown way.

The Champions 2004 team would consist of:

Quantum (leader)

Black Mamba

Opaque

Seeker (semi-active)

Solitaire

Ms. Arcane

Jaguar (reservist)

Defender (reservist)

Not bad, though I tend to pair Seeker and Solitaire, just because.

I like MitchellS ideas, but in keeping with the idea that high powered heroes should be controversial...

Defender: Somewhat disillusioned with the constant failures to campture his enemies, and their neverending escapes from prison, Defender becomes a much darker character. Some say he became deranged after the Battle of Detroit, where so many died. He starts using his money to finance other heroes, wearing copies of his original armor, while constructing a tank sized armored suit for himself. He is preparing for a final, apocalyptic battle against his enemies, Dark Knight style...

Quantum: As her powers continue to increase, Quantum becomes less able to control them. After she badly injures a corrupt hospital administrator, she is placed on the wanted list by Primus, under the label "Dangerous Freak #372". Utilizing her powers in ways never used before, Quantum blasts off into space, where she resumes her quest for justice by attacking any aliens she encounters, making them learn English, and adopting American-style Democracy. She hopes to one day return to Earth, after she has found the aliens who keep attacking it.

Solitaire: Disturbed by her other teammates, Solitaire decides to form the Champions II team. Made up entirely of low powered mystical characters, several of them get killed in every scenario as they confront much more powerful enemies. Solitaire is unconcerned however, as her "psychic hotline" allows her to quicklylocate potential new recruits.

Obsidian: After getting pummeled by Ogre and Bulldozer, Obsidian decides that he has had enough of the peasants on this planet. He builds a radio, phones home, and within a few months the alien battlefleet arrives. Under Obsidian's direction, they conduct a deal with several governments to act as planetary peacekeepers agaisnt metahumans, much to the anger of UNTIL. Metahuman criminals captured by them are taken away to secret labs offplanet, where they are dissected in bizarre experiments. Periodically, hires some anonymous aliens to threaten the Earth, after which he demands an increased budget and powers. His greatest fear is that Quantum may somehow find out what he is doing.

Seeker: Upon learning from his doctor that he has a form of brain damage, from getting beat up so much, Seeker retires from superheroics...and enters politics. Some were surprised at the amount of financing he was able to raise from his horde of contacts, everyone was surprised when he became the PRime Minister of Australia. He quickly declared Australia a republic, broke remaining connections with the United Kingdom, and started a nuclear program to keep Australia safe from something called "the Dragon". Occasionally the Green Dragon, now the Ambassador to Australia from the People's Republic of China, attempts to goad him into a fight.

While the Champions have now split into two teams, and some members are inactive, they still recieve quarterly statements from their accountants. Comics, action figures, and the cartoon show continue to do well, much to their disgust.

. . .this, OTOH, strikes me as way, way, WAY too iron age.

I should point out that the battle of Detroit involved a group of heroes off planet trying to Deflect Dr. D's asteroid while everyone back on earth tried to find his doomsday weapon.

It is very possible that the Champions didn't fight Destroyer, but were part of the group trying to stop him from orbit.

500 point versions of Defender and Obsidian are logical choices to send into space, and Solitare or Defender could have whipped up something to keep Quantum and Seeker alive in the void.

I should point out that the battle of Detroit involved a group of heroes off planet trying to Deflect Dr. D's asteroid while everyone back on earth tried to find his doomsday weapon.

It is very possible that the Champions didn't fight Destroyer, but were part of the group trying to stop him from orbit.

500 point versions of Defender and Obsidian are logical choices to send into space, and Solitare or Defender could have whipped up something to keep Quantum and Seeker alive in the void.

One possibility: Seeker pilots the space vehicle they go up in ( always nice to put the guy with the ubereflexes at the stick ), with Jaguar monitoring the situation and giving tactical info for the people in the air ( I don't think an advanced Jaguar was ever done, but if he stayed a member, I can see him becoming the team's tactician over time ).

That sounds like her former teammates should be disturbed by her. Plus word should have traveled far and wide that she gets people killed. Solitaitre would be avoided like the plague.

The 4ed Champions Universe book included a more experienced version of the Champions team, iirc.

I seem to remember also seeing an updated (and rather darker) Seeker in an Adventurer's Club article -- it might have been the one when the original Dark Champions came out.

I will check on these when I get home, and confirm their existence.

Confirmed.

The 4ed CU book updates the Champions to the 400-450 pt range (exept for Defender, who becomes 500+) with included updated storylines.

The AC was issue #25, in which Seeker was updated with reference to the then new Ultimate Martial Artist. The effect of these updates is to bring Seeker to a 500+ pt character.

4e "Watchers of the Dragon" also took the AC #25 'Ultimate Seeker' and expanded on him even further.

Not just pointwise, but with one hell of a long and detailed backstory and chracter section. It was really good stuff.

.. for that matter, 'really good stuff' is a description of 95+% of everything in WOTD.