Thoughts on Arcane Adversaries(Spoilers)

Dr. MID-Nite

Re: Thoughts on Arcane Adversaries(Spoilers)

Not much to say about the Vandaleurs, except this is probably the first example of gay supervillains I've ever seen in a Hero product(Eduard and Anais Vandaleur).

They're not gay. Anais is a woman; the art is wrong. Here's what happened:

1. Dean Shomshak turned in an art order describing them simply as "twins."

2. The appearance section of their character sheet, which I believe was also supplied to the artist, also describes them simply as "twins."

3. The artist was apparently unaware that "Anais" is a woman's name. We live in a world where the majority of high school students can't locate France or Canada on a map, and 30% of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a map, so I can't get too upset about it.

4. Andy doesn't have the time to read the text as he lays it out.

5. I didn't see the art until so late in the production process that it was too late to change it. But I'd rather have something there, even something odd-looking, than nothing. Either way we're going to get complaints, but that will lead to fewer complaints.

The whole snafu at least has the virtue of providing me a concrete example to give to authors when I explain to them how to create an art list for their books (which is, believe you me, one of the least enjoyable things about writing a book). :hex:

They're not gay. Anais is a woman; the art is wrong.

Ah, I see ...

Y'know, they were much funnier when I thought you intended them as an Evil Siegfried & Roy. ;)

(The Anais Nin: Sex-Magic Supermage reference is kind of funny, but not on the same level)

They're not gay. Anais is a woman; the art is wrong. Here's what happened:

1. Dean Shomshak turned in an art order describing them simply as "twins."

2. The appearance section of their character sheet, which I believe was also supplied to the artist, also describes them simply as "twins."

3. The artist was apparently unaware that "Anais" is a woman's name. We live in a world where the majority of high school students can't locate France or Canada on a map, and 30% of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a map, so I can't get too upset about it.

4. Andy doesn't have the time to read the text as he lays it out.

5. I didn't see the art until so late in the production process that it was too late to change it. But I'd rather have something there, even something odd-looking, than nothing. Either way we're going to get complaints, but that will lead to fewer complaints.

The whole snafu at least has the virtue of providing me a concrete example to give to authors when I explain to them how to create an art list for their books (which is, believe you me, one of the least enjoyable things about writing a book). :hex:

The name did seem odd for a boy and now that I think about it...the description did say "fraternal" twins, but the background fits in well with the gay concept(and the picture doesn't help). For example, that quote can be taken in many contexts.

Honestly, they were far more interesting as gay characters(as that isn't something you see every day). No making any moral judgements here, but for the sake of story, they are far more intriguing as identical twins....so I think I'll just leave them that way. Change Anais to Alan and viola....

Rob

Tezcatlipoca is about as tough as any of the other " Master Villain" types. He spent a large number of points. I hope he isn't a typical "god", as he'd be about twice as powerful as anything from the 4th Edition book, The Olympians. Now if he's supposed to be among the most powerful of the Aztec gods, that's probably ok.

Rob

Tezcatlipoca is about as tough as any of the other " Master Villain" types. He spent a large number of points. I hope he isn't a typical "god", as he'd be about twice as powerful as anything from the 4th Edition book, The Olympians. Now if he's supposed to be among the most powerful of the Aztec gods, that's probably ok.

Rob

Tezcatlipoca was THE most powerful Aztec god, ruler of the pantheon. He went from being their tribal patron when they were still a nomadic tribe to Lord and God of the greatest empire in the Americas. He's also supposed to have absorbed several other deities along the way (going from god of night and war to including sorcery, theft, murder, shapeshifting, prophecy, and more than I can possibly remember).

He was always a bloody horror, too. It was the worship of Tezcatlipoca that started the massacre-sacrifice traditions among the Aztecs. (Before that, sacrifices did occur, but usually on a lesser scale, with a few dozen rather than hundreds or thousands going under the knife.)

He's also supposed to have been represented in early history by mortal priests who incarnated Lord Smoking Mirror (his name in English) into themselves and ruled as his chosen avatar. Or so I've read in books on Aztec myth and history.

I can see working out a ongoing subplot/plotline involving Tezcatlipoca and his fellow deities like Lord Blue Hummingbird Wizard, Lord Flayed One, and the Witch Goddess (and a no-prize for anyone who knows who those names refer to!) against Quetzalcoatl and his cohorts.

Thanks again to HG for making a great supplement. :Sniff: Now if I could just get my hands on a copy...

I can see working out a ongoing subplot/plotline involving Tezcatlipoca and his fellow deities like Lord Blue Hummingbird Wizard, Lord Flayed One, and the Witch Goddess (and a no-prize for anyone who knows who those names refer to!) against Quetzalcoatl and his cohorts.

Huitzilopochtli and Xipe Totec are easy, but if the last one isn't Coatlicue I'm going to have to dig my books out.

Huitzilopochtli and Xipe Totec are easy' date=' but if the last one isn't Coatlicue I'm going to have to dig my books out.[/quote']

Got the first two, but I intended for the third to be Tlazolteotl, who should be called 'Eater of Filth'. She was the goddess of witchcraft (peaked hat, cat, broomstick and all) as well as illicit sex (the Aztecs were a very puritanical people). She was usually a lovely young girl but if you succumbed to her advances she turned into a horrific monster and devoured you.

I think Coatlicue would be 'Jade Serpent Skirt' -- and isn't the statue of her in Mexico City one of the most gruesome things you've ever seen, with the fanged maw, skeletal face, garland of entrails and necklace of butchered infants, and the twin showers of blood rising from her neck?

Which is why, when I read the background for Bloodstone in CKC, where it says the art in the cave where he found the Blood Crown was 'darker, bloodier, and more gruesome than Aztec art' I shudder to wonder what it must have looked like.

I've always heard it pronounced uh-NAY-iss' date=' ann-NYE-ees, ann-NYE-uss, or the like.[/quote']

This is actually a kind of cool resource, so I'm passing it along.

About.com has lists of names along with a short .WAV file pronouncing the name.

For Anais:

http://french.about.com/library/travel/bl-fr-names-f.htm

Just scroll down to the name and click on the link.