The First (Hopefully) Semi-Annual Great Champions Challenge Modding Contest!

proditor

Re: The First (Hopefully) Semi-Annual Great Champions Challenge Modding Contest!

Well, I posted all my other attempts in here so I may as well post this one here too.

Gigaton from CKC. The body is Dr. Fate. It started out as Dr. Destroyer, but after butchering it I patched the mistakes, lopped off the head and put Daredevil's on there. As you can see I can't get the chest emblem right (not at that size!). This is the best of four attempts to draw that atom emblem.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The First (Hopefully) Semi-Annual Great Champions Challenge Modding Contest!

Not bad at all Blue. I was thinking of turning Hawk from the first DC set into him.

I dropped my Destroyer figure a while back but I was thinking of Fates helm, or possibly a Kobra fanatic head with the facial features sanded down on the upper torso and arms of Kobra on a sidewinder lower torso and legs.

The voting deadline is this Sunday' date=' the 14th, by noon? Are we just PMing them to you Prod?[/quote']Well, the voting deadline is not till next weekend. The entry deadline is tomorrow though.

Oh Blue, which entry do you want to be your official contest entry BTW? I won't tell you which I like this best as I don't want to influence you. ;) But, you are selling yourself short, they are all good mods!

Hmm. I dunno. I think Dark Seraph with Big-head action is the flashiest. Let's go with him. I'm also working on [EDIT: Whoops, meant Holocaust), but he probably won't be done in time.

Thanks RM, Zorn, Myrlyn. :) I hope you get your entry done soon, Myrlyn, I can't wait to see it. Surely we can't be the only mini painters/modders on the boards? Where's Mags, and Blue, and the others who were posting their figs in the other thread? :think::D

Bill.

Uhm... I didn't know there was a contest. Until today that is (and today is almost over for me). :(

I doubt I can get something done in time.

Mags

The First (Hopefully) Semi-Annual Great Champions Challenge Modding Contest!

Entry parameters:

1) One mod per person.

2) Mods must be relatively “new to the webâ€. Any mod posted and linked to this site or any other modeling site prior to September 24th, is ineligible. We’re looking for some new stuff here, not prior material.

3) One modeler per mod, so no collaborations please.

4) Mods must be "Modified". In other words, no taking pictures of a Heroclix Blob and saying it's Inquisition in his work out leotard. ;) There must be a clean new paint job and if you like, some physical modification.

5) Mods should be associated with the Champions Universe. This includes Dark Champions as well, so the BMK is fair game. Basically, the figure should reflect the "superheroic" genre or some fanatastic element of the Hero Universe. Aliens from Star Hero? Just fine. A no name guy with a gun who is labelled as flunky number 3? Amusing, but no. If you aren't sure that your idea is suitable, just ask.

I occurs to me that I don't really do a lot of modifications to my miniatures, other than scraping off bits and pieces here and there. Rather than build mine from scratch, I prefer to find the closest mini and then rely of an ok paint job to complete it.

The few heroclixs I have, I'm not planning on chopping up.

However, I have several Oculons which I painted en mass. I will enter him. Them. Uhm. Yeah. :straight: As soon as my camera's battery charges up.

Cheers,

Mags

Prod: Are you gonna start a new thread and post everyone's pics, just so voters don't have to search through 6 pages to see all the figs? And is it gonna be a public poll, or will people be PMing you their votes, or what? And do we just vote on our very favorite, or do we rate 'em? Or should I just read the instructions and find the answers there? :stupid::)

Bill.

Mags, those are great!

I'm going to get back to work on my PCs, but here is my last attempt for now at a CKC villain. This is Holocaust.

Funny thing, I checked his write-up and I don't see COLORBLIND, but he should sure take points for it.

Actually, I'm not sure my Oculon entry is legal, per rule #4. I didn't modify these minis at all (unless you count cleaning flash off them, filing, etc).

Now if this were a model painting contest, with only past or present Champions characters allowed for entry...

Mags

Easy, I have no life!

It was Cyclops. I used some clippers to take off the bands around the legs as best I could, filed off the X from the belt, and used a ball of greenstuff on top of the head to get the rough shape of the half-helmet. The cape, also made from greenstuff, is awful but passing. I couldn't get a nice wrinkle design to it no matter what I did.

You lose all the detail of his face in this photo, but that's my photography for ya. Same thing happened with the ogre photo. Might be time to go higher than 2.1 megapixels.

Magmarock' date=' the same for Occulon, is that a Superfig?[/quote']

I got these figs a long time ago.

They all say '_enadil' 1984 on them (the first letter is obscured on all of them). Way before Superfigs came out.

Mags

Old timer: "Back in the day' date=' none of them came with paint on 'em..."[/i']

Mags

"...and we had ta grind up rocks and plants for the pigments in our paints..." :D

Hope I'm not too late!

Ok gang, my apologies for taking so damned long. Hopefully the wait is some what worth it... Without further adieu, here's my entry: The Black Harlequin!

Our friend here is made up of several Hero Clix figures, The Joker's body, Harley Quinn's head, the hands of The Puppet Master as well as the puppet Susan Storm and The Thing. I also added a toy robot which is actually a CAV infantry figure. The cane is a piece of brass wire with a bit of putty added to the top.

Keith

P.S. If I'd had a little more time, I would have hit him with a coat of dull coat laquer I think... the Magic Wash is coming off a bit shiney. Also, I've never taken digital photos of a figure before, so lighting tips are welcome. In fact, I'm a hair late because the battery of the camera died as I was trying to upload the pictures to my computer for editing. Figures!!!!

You ain't kidding Proditor! Here's a slightly better scan of him... I placed him on the scanner for this one (which is why there are little green flecks... flock material fell on the glass). I'm going to try taking some better pictures later in the week I think, but I know judging has to be done on these.

Keith

P.S. Bill and RM, how do you guys get such nice pics?

Thanks RM and Blue! I wanted to add a small prop plane (like and old WWI fighter or WWII), but couldn't get a mini that would work well except the WizKids Crimson Skies figures (like this one), but I could only buy them in $15 blisters. Wasn't going to pay that much just for the effect, and didn't hav time to paint any of the old Crimson Skies metal figs.

Keith