Cheese Meisters Assemble! Create "The Spin Doctor"

LadyChaos

This started out as a joke between my GM and me. One of my characters is a member of a team that through an incredible amount of bad luck is now considered to be villianous. I never intended to play this character this way and said I needed Super PR ... someone like The Spin Doctor!

How would you go about creating an NPC with super PR skills (that last). GM envisions him as a "good guy NPC." Of course, his powers must be kept secret or no one would ever believe anything he told them.

Re: Cheese Meisters Assemble! Create "The Spin Doctor"

This started out as a joke between my GM and me. One of my characters is a member of a team that through an incredible amount of bad luck is now considered to be villianous. I never intended to play this character this way and said I needed Super PR ... someone like The Spin Doctor!

How would you go about creating an NPC with super PR skills (that last). GM envisions him as a "good guy NPC." Of course, his powers must be kept secret or no one would ever believe anything he told them.

Frankly, I’d take a straight forward approach to this one. After all, high characteristics and skills can be just as good, if not better, than powers.

Start by giving him or her an incredibly high presence. According to the Champions Genre book a superhuman presence is 51+. That seems a bit high to me, but I would go with at least a 30+.

Then go with superhuman interaction skills:

Acting 20-30+

Conversation 20-30+

High Society 20-30+

Oratory 20-30+

Persuasion 20-30+

Seduction 20-30+

Next, include in a wide assortment of contacts, a good reputation, membership in several powerful groups. Finally add a sprinkling of languages and some relevant AK and KS skills.

You end up with an incredibly potent character for a very reasonable price. Additionally it is much simpler and quite possibly cheaper than trying to do it as a mentalist.

Well you’d have to start with a really huge contacts base in the media as well as restaurants and hotel owners and staff etc.

Mind control only to convince people of alternative explanations perhaps

Lots of extra PRE COM and EGO possibly usable by others

Bonus skill levels with the social skills like interrogation bribery high society streetwise etc also usable by others perhaps

Scientist with psychology anthropology sociology (economics?).

World traveler, AK London Paris Rome Tokyo New York Millennium city

Scholar groups movers and shakers,prime minsiters and princes, maitre’ds and concierges, reporters/editors/photographers. Fashion designers, makeup and hair stylists, interior designers.

Things the hottest nightspots best restaurants most important cultural events

Eidetic memory got to remember who owes you favors

Followers you need a top notch secretary advertising designers a few private eyes to get you dirt etc

High but human INT and PRE, then skills at base level and lots of organizational contacts at high levels, finally 120 points for +15 skill levels with all skills. Those 15 skill levels will mean that the Spin Doctor will have roughly a 26 or less in any general skill, and a 28 or less in skills he purchased for full cost (PS:Spin Doctor, Acting, Persuasion, Oratory, Seduction, Writing, High Society, Streetwise, Political Science, PS:Journalist, Deduction, Analyze:Public Perception, Psychology, Tactics, Team Work). More than enough to have the public dancing to your tune.

You requested Cheese?

Telepathy, Mind Control, and or Mental Illusions - Area Affect (Non-Selective), Megascale, Invisible Effects - Only to Convince People of Things, and possibly Only When Victim Views Advertising, and Only vs. Normal Minds (20 EGO max).

Mind Control would be bought telepathic with a cumulative effect.

Telepathy would be Only to Implant Favorable Memories or Emotions.

Mental Illusions would be used to make the subject seem appealing.

Also, Aid PRE - long term fade rate.

All of these powers could require a PR Skill Roll, Advertising, Extra Time (length of the ad campaign), and other real world limitations.

Due to the scale of the power, it won't be very intense dicewise and may be used with a relatively low ECV. The Spin Doctor won't be able to convince everyone, but the large part of those in range will change their minds - enough to sway public opinion.

The only problem with this character is that he/she would be more inclined to take over the world with these powers than to do meager PR stunts. But you could catch him/her while he/she was 'practicing' for the evental move for power - possibly by getting favors from powerful individuals that he/she can't control. It could make for an interesting villain later in the campaign.

But then such is the way of cheese. It gets really messy when you play with it.