Conversion: the Cleave Feat

CrosshairCollie

Planning way ahead for any Fantasy Hero gaming I do (if I ever find the book for sale anywhere ...). I intend to show that anything D&D does, FH can do and probably better. Most of the Feats have been going along fine, until this one little snag. The Cleave feat, which I can't figure out how to do.

Basically, what Cleave lets you do is: If you hit a target and drop it, you can immediately get a 'follow-through' attack on anything you can reach. So, if you're up against two trolls and you drop one of them, you can immediately attack the second one (and then, if you have multiple attacks, you can keep going). You don't have to do all the damage in one shot; you just need to land the killing/knockout blow.

Any thoughts?

Re: Conversion: the Cleave Feat

Even though it sounds like you've already done a fair chunk of the work already' date=' you might want to know that the FH Talents sections has Hero System equivalents to quite a few D&D3.x feats. It's pretty cool, really.[/quote']

Figures. :)

Now, if only I could FIND THE BLASTED BOOK FOR SALE ANYWHERE! :weep::help::mad::confused::cry::tonguewav

And if only my wife didn't distrust online shopping ...

Where in Missouri do you live? The "Hero Retailers" link at the top of the page shows two brick-and-mortar stores carrying Hero products, one in Washington, the other in Columbia.

Also, if online credit-card use is an issue, it might help you to know that the Hero Games Online Store will also take checks and money orders. If you enter the store page you'll find a FAQ link which explains how to do that.

I hope that helps. :)

Figures. :)

Now, if only I could FIND THE BLASTED BOOK FOR SALE ANYWHERE! :weep::help::mad::confused::cry::tonguewav

And if only my wife didn't distrust online shopping ...

I don't know if it is the same in the US as the UK, but my local book shop (Ottaka's) stocks the core D20 books, and as long as you can provide them with the ISBN number of the book they should be able to order it in for you, it saves trying to hunt down a genre specific shop.

Hope that helps.

Shem

Try this:

Cleave:

HKA: 1D6+1K (20) Trigger (+1/4) 25Act.

--OAF (-1) X2 End(-1/2) Gestures (-1/4) Real: 9pts

With this Talent, the character sets up a follow-through attack by practicing a series of Katas that simulates fighting multiple opponents. After practicing the Kata a number of times, the character then gains the ability to reflexively perform this maneuver in combat. The Kata must be practiced daily so that the character does not become complacent.

Notes:

The Trigger is activated whenever an opponent the character is facing is killed with one of his normal maneuvers (In other words, Cleave cannot trigger another Cleave event). This includes Sweep maneuvers. Many enemies can be wounded/killed in this manner in a single phase! (appropriate for many Sword & Sorcery campaigns)

The OAF if obviously a weapon. Drop this limitation if the "Cleave" is performed barehanded.

The X2 End limitation requires a bit of explaination and a special consideration that is not normally used with Triggered Powers. 1/2 of the Endurance is spent when the Trigger is set up and the second half of the Endurance is spent when the Trigger is set off. (All together should add up to X2End). Why? Think about it. Performing a Kata is tiring, and actually performing the attack should cost End as well, thus the reason for splitting it. This may not seem particularly limiting to many Gm's in which case simply reduce the limitation from -1/2 to -1/4.

The Gestures represent performing the Kata of course, and are performed during the setup phase of the power. The reason why I believe the Gestures limitation applies is because if someone were prevented from performing the Kata (being tied up, or paralyzed or some such) then the Trigger can not be set and the power is foiled.

Take into consideration that the 1/2 phase for the Cleave attack is performed during the setup phase....the actual Cleave attack during combat is considered a 0 Phase action, as per the rules in the text of the Trigger advantage.

How's that?

Consider Cleave (and Great Cleave) are metagame concepts that allow powerful characters to defeat large numbers of weaker enemies faster. By that interpretation sweep is a good the match.

I have to agree. Sweep is far more elegant than Cleave. It is also more versitile.

Borders' date=' Barnes & Noble or Hastings should be able to order it for you. If you're in the KC area, there's a shop in Overland Park listed, as well. Follow-through attack seems like what you're looking for. It's in the book.[/quote']

(Also responding to Lord Liaden)

I'm in Kirksville, pretty much the very Northeast Corner. I have a Hastings (in fact, my wife works there), but we can't order anything from HERO games (if only we could ... she gets such a kickass discount!), we've tried. And the shop in Columbia has a fairly small HERO section, so ... *sigh*

• 2 weeks later...

(Also responding to Lord Liaden)

I'm in Kirksville, pretty much the very Northeast Corner. I have a Hastings (in fact, my wife works there), but we can't order anything from HERO games (if only we could ... she gets such a kickass discount!), we've tried. And the shop in Columbia has a fairly small HERO section, so ... *sigh*

Cant order HERO books? I wont stand for that! Tell the person in charge of ordering that they are fired!

Ed "Killer Shrike" Hastings :D

Cant order HERO books? I wont stand for that! Tell the person in charge of ordering that they are fired!

Ed "Killer Shrike" Hastings :D

I kinda wish I could ... because my wife was gunning for that person's job a couple of months ago and got shafted out of it. She was hella pissed. :mad::bmk: