The Authority RPG ????

ShinDangaioh

Re: The Authority RPG ????

From what I can tell the conversion matrix is very comprehensive, but the differences between the two systems result in a few quirks that would require some post-conversion tweaks. For example, SAS characters do not expend energy/endurance to use their strength and powers as a default, nor does the system have the equivalent of CON-Stunning; so Constitution and Endurance often come out lower than you would expect and probably want. The matrix will definitely put you well within the ballpark, though. :)

I'm tempted to run Apollo against the SAS icon, Sentinel, in that system or in HERO. I hope fans of the Authority won't hold it against me that I hope the old man would hand Apollo his head.

Re: The Authority RPG ????Here is one variant on Apollo for 350 points. A fairly good flying brick, who after an hour or so in direct sunlight, becomes a cosmic class character. ;)

Solarian

Val Char Cost
25/60 STR 15
20 DEX 30
28 CON 36
15 BODY 10
10 INT 0
10 EGO 0
20 PRE 10
20 COM 5
5/30 PD 0
6/31 ED 0
4 SPD 10
11 REC 0
56 END 0
42 STUN 0
6" RUN 0
2" SWIM 0
5"/12" LEAP 0
Characteristics Cost: 116

Cost Power END
22 Solar Force Field Powers: Elemental Control, 44-point powers
22 1) Power of the Sun: Density Increase (12,800 kg mass, +35 STR, +7 PD/ED, -7" KB), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (44 Active Points) [Notes: With the Aid active, goes up to +55 STR, +11 PD/+11 ED, -11" KB] 3
23 2) Armor of the Sun: Force Field (18 PD/18 ED), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (45 Active Points) [Notes: With AID active, goes up to +30 PD / +30 ED. Totals are thus 82 PD / 80 ED, 30/30 rpd/red] 4
23 3) Riding The Light: Flight 13", Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; Limited Group of Advantages; Only 0 End Cost, One Level Megascale and 1/2 end cost, or Two Levels Megascale; +3/4) (45 Active Points) 4
10 4) Solar Healing: Healing 2 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (50 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2) 0
18 5) Solar Senses: (Total: 44 Active Cost, 35 Real Cost) Nightvision (5 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus N-Ray Perception (Sight Group) (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (Real Cost: 8) plus Rapid (x10) with Sight Group (5 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (9 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (Real Cost: 7) plus +5 PER with all Sense Groups (15 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (Real Cost: 12) 5
19 Solar Life Support: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) 0
30 Solar Eye Beams: Multipower, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); all slots Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)
3u 1) Optic Blast: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (45 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) [Notes: Fully charged becomes a 5d6 RKA.] 8
3u 2) Area Burn: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Penetrating (+1/2), Area Of Effect (19" Cone; +1 1/2) (45 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) [Notes: Fully charged is 1 and 1/2 D6 RKA Cone.] 8
3u 3) Mega-Blast: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, MegaScale (1" = 10 km; +1/2), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Penetrating (x2; +1) (45 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) [Notes: Fully Charged this is a 1 and 1/2d6 RKA, double penetrating, covering a 10 KM area.] 8
32 Soaking up the Sun Multipower: Multipower, 88-point reserve, (88 Active Points); all slots Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only in Direct Sunlight or in Space; -1/2)
3u 1) Soaking Up the Sun: Aid All Solar Powers 1d6, Can Add Maximum Of 30 Points, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Hour; +1), all Solar powers simultaneously (+2) (88 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only in Direct Sunlight or in Space; -1/2) 0
3u 2) Soaking Up The Sun II: Aid 1d6, Can Add Maximum Of 30 Points, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Hour; +1), All Physical Charateristics simultaneously (+2) (88 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only in Direct Sunlight or in Space; -1/2) [Notes: Adds 30 STR, 15 CON, 15 BOD, 10 DEX, 75 Stun, 90 End, 4 SPD, 36 PD, 33 ED, 24 REC.] 0
Powers Cost: 214

Cost Skill
4 Navigation (Air, Land, Space) 11-
3 Traveler
1 1) AK: Earth (2 Active Points) 11-
1 2) AK: North America (2 Active Points) 11-
1 3) AK: The Solar System (2 Active Points) 11-
0 Language: English (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
1 Language: Spanish (basic conversation)
3 Streetwise 13-
3 Deduction 11-
3 Seduction 13-
Skills Cost: 20

Val Disadvantages
15 Enraged: If takes body (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-
10 Distinctive Features: Glowing inhumanly handsome man (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Darkness attacks (Uncommon)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Darkness Attacks (Uncommon)
20 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Drains and Transfers (Common)
15 Hunted: Alien Foes 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
15 Hunted: Superhuman Foes 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
10 Reputation: Absurdly Powerful Solar Powered Metahuman, 11-
15 Psychological Limitation: Overonfident in almost all things (Very Common, Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Showoff (Common, Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Hedonistic and self-centered (Common, Moderate)
10 Psychological Limitation: Craves Approval, Respects Authority (Common, Moderate)
Disadvantage Points: 150
Cost Summary:Base Points:200Disadvantage Points: 150Total Experience Available: 0Total Character Cost: 350Height: 2.00 mHair: BrownWeight: 100.00 kgEyes: BrownAppearance: Personality: Quote:Background: Powers/Tactics: Most of the time the Solarian is a normal enough brick; Fully charged with Solar Energy, he is a cosmic class nighmare.Campaign Use: 

The Eye Beams may be underpowered looking at his later tricks, but the rest comes close. ;)

Note that his STR maxes out at 110, with 82 pd / 80 ed (30/30 res.). Add in an 8 SPD and a 30 Dex. Like the original Apollo, he's a standard flying brick when not charged, and when fully charged can wipe out a fair sized army, or sterilize the moon.

Not bad at all' date=' Oddhat. :thumbup: Just for point of comparison, here's John Desmarais's interpretation of Apollo from t[i']The Great Net Book of Real Heroes[/i]:

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Apollo-jdd.txt

Nice. :) He missed out on the Solar Charging effect, but putting the Flight and Eye Beams in a MP is probably the better choice. His version will also have trouble sterilizing the moon.

I really shudder to imagine a 1200 point character. I tried to make a 500 point character recently and burned out after 300 points.

Well, perks (especially vehicles, bases and contacts) can suck up a hell of a lot of points, as can unlimited Cosmic Power. However, the Ellis version of Apollo was a fairly straightforward flying brick with one major trick ("sunlight makes me straonger"); I don't think you need 1200 points to describe him.

I really shudder to imagine a 1200 point character. I tried to make a 500 point character recently and burned out after 300 points.

Conversely, I've rarely played or built a Champions character who couldn't have found good uses for a few more points and still kept within theme/concept. Skills and skill levels are never a bad thing. Multipowers that get large enough (particularly for spellcaster sorts or psi-guys) can eventually be reconfigured as VPPs for only minimal point expenditures. The guy with the power armor could always develop a gadget pool over time. The skill guy can purchase and contniually add to a utility belt/vest. The martial artist can expand his repertoire beyond karate and muay Thay into aikido or jiujutsu. Strong guy can buy down that enraged, but levels with thrown objects or start working on brick tricks. Flying energy guy can learn to better-calibrate his blasts in order to vary special effects or turn some of those one-time Powers-skill stunts into ongoing options via Variable or Naked Advantages. Fast guy can get good at kicking up dust storms to blind opponents (area Flash) or buy levels with Move By. Anyone who adventures with a team (i.e., most Champions PCs) should always consider buying or adding to the Teamwork Skill - or even buying some CSLs that only function with coordinated attacks. If you have done good deeds, buy some Reputation, so you can get better contracts for your action figure line. ;)

Conversely' date=' I've rarely played or built a Champions character who couldn't have found good uses for a few more points and still kept within theme/concept. Skills and skill levels are never a bad thing. Multipowers that get large enough (particularly for spellcaster sorts or psi-guys) can eventually be reconfigured as VPPs for only minimal point expenditures. The guy with the power armor could always develop a gadget pool over time. The skill guy can purchase and contniually add to a utility belt/vest. The martial artist can expand his repertoire beyond karate and muay Thay into aikido or jiujutsu. Strong guy can buy down that enraged, but levels with thrown objects or start working on brick tricks. Flying energy guy can learn to better-calibrate his blasts in order to vary special effects or turn some of those one-time Powers-skill stunts into ongoing options via Variable or Naked Advantages. Fast guy can get good at kicking up dust storms to blind opponents (area Flash) or buy levels with Move By. Anyone who adventures with a team (i.e., most Champions PCs) should always consider buying or adding to the Teamwork Skill - or even buying some CSLs that only function with coordinated attacks. If you have done good deeds, buy some Reputation, so you can get better contracts for your action figure line. ;)[/quote']

Good examples but most of them are things I'd prefer to buy with experience as the character grows. I realize its just a preference though. There are probably some games out there that have 1000 points base, but its not my cup o' tea.

The point wasn't to duplicate Apollo in the Hero System, it was to duplicate the TriStat Apollo, compared to their own system, into the Hero equivqlent as closely as possible. It would certainly be possible to build the character more efficiently, but the straight translation of stats gives Apollo an 80 STR with no limitations, high other stats across the board (mostly high 20s) for a total of nearly 300 spent on stats, an EC of light blast effects (because he occasionally uses more than one at a time, ranging from a 16d Cone, 14d Line, and 7d6 KA Autofire Megascale), a 100-point Combat Flight/Mega-Flight Multipower, Life Support, butch defenses, actual regeration in sunlight, and high levels of "combat mastery" (at his rank in Tri-Stat, 8 levels with all combat.) Whether that accurately duplicates the Apollo of the comic is for individuals to decide, but it's what GoO gave him. And several of the other members are grosser than that. (And while the "sterilization" attack you wrote above is cool, the creatures that were busting out at the time were way tougher than you apparently give 'em credit for.) dw

(And while the "sterilization" attack you wrote above is cool' date=' the creatures that were busting out at the time were way tougher than you apparently give 'em credit for.)[/quote']

That attack would inflict 8 body per turn on everything in a 10km area from something like 70km away, even if the target had hardened defenses. A few minutes of that and anything would die. ;)

I didn't intend to critisize the conversion as such Darren. I just wanted to point out that the Apollo of the comics could be successfully done on 350 points. The charging effect is from the first or second Miller Authority story.

I've gotten to the playing/running section (admittedly I skimmed the play rules which are basically Silver Age Sentinels though I think I spotted a couple of new rules). The advice on running and playing in a high powered game is solid, but gets a little preachy (Wanderer might like it). They do address the violence and killing issue which I can respect.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got around to perusing this now.

First off, it's good to see a book priced with a realistic conversion rate. I live in Canada, shop in Canadian dollars, and know the exchange rate is floating around .75, so it bugs me to see books where the MSRP suggests an exchange rate around .60.

Secondly, it's a thick, full colour book for a licensed property, so I'll accept that the price tag's going to be a bit high. I'm relatively lucky in that my games budget will support this kind of stuff (especially with my great games group kicking in the odd item to help my RPG budget), so I picked it up with several other nice looking products a week ago.

It's actually my second full-colour copy of the TriStat gaming engine, so it might be an unnecessary expense, but I understand why the licensing company might feel they need the full set of support in one book (What is an RPG ? Example of combat, How do I build a character, etc.)

In terms of appearance and such, it's a great looking book. The layout and design people seem to have made a conscious decision to keep the book the same dimensions as a comic book and then keep all the art reproductions from the comic in full colour and the same size and scale as originally published. It's a small detail, but one I appreciate.

In terms of scope, the book does limit itself to The Authority 1-12, by Warren Ellis with art by Hitch and Neary and the Secret History of Jenny Sparks. While the character history delves a bit into the Warren Ellis Stormwatch issues, detailed issue by issue breakdowns are given for each of those 17 issues and most characters in those issues get writeups.

The book contains both TriStat and D20 stats for all the characters, but the text inside suggests that only the TriStat engine is given. That certainly seemed the case in my limited reading so far. There's an interesting choice to give the actual stats at the back of the book, separate from the descriptions of the characters and their history. This is interesting and probably serves two purposes. First, it emphasizes the story over the crunchy numbers and second, I think the character history enjoys stronger copyright protection than the crunchy numbers.

I haven't yet tried to run the characters through the Reality Storm conversion matrix but I plan to. Obviously, they'll prove to be very powerful characters, but the authors do seem to have tried to place some limits on them. For example, the Doctor seems to have had to use 'extra time' and 'push' in order to destroy all of Italy with one attack.