The Authority RPG ????

ShinDangaioh

Re: The Authority RPG ????

So, who has it?

Are you going to convert the stuff in it over to Hero?

Don;t have it, and it;'s not high on my prioirtyy list, although I may get ti eventually. It is convertible to HERO using the forumae in Realkity Storm because it uses essentially the Silver Age Sentinels game system.

And do you think that if this product sells well enough that GoO will get the mainstream DC liscence?

Seems unlikely. GOO doesn;t need those kind of headaches, and I doubt Time-Warner is that interested in tabletop RPGs when they can make so much more money lciensing their characters for video games.

Well, I plan to pick it up on Friday. They are going to release more supplements to cover the StormWatch years and are talking about trying to get the ok to work on Authority the Mark Millar years but I am not interested in that particular one. Authority has rules for Tri Stat and D20. I am completely caught up on all my hero books until Vibora Bay comes out so I figured what the heck. I was worried that it was going to conflict with me picking up DEMON. Glad it didn't because I would hate to have to wait to pick up The Authority. :)

Given that RPG stats for comics characters only line up with the actual comics characters by sheer coincidence' date=' how would that prove anything?[/quote']

*shrug* Mainly, it was a joke (There isn't a really since the character will be exactly as powerful as the plot needs them to be) but it will at least given an idea.

As a test I ran Apollo through the Hero/TriStat translator from RS just to see what would happen. He came out pretty believable, about 1200 points. Many of the other members of the Authority are built with GoO's "Dynamic Powers" construct, which basically translate into large themed VPPs and would require a lot of GM interaction to get right, but conveniently all of Apollo's powers were easy to translate. Took me about half an hour. It's a purty book, for sure. dw

Many of the other members of the Authority are built with GoO's "Dynamic Powers" construct' date=' which basically translate into large themed VPPs and would require a lot of GM interaction to get right. [/quote']

So, in Hero terms, how big a VPP do the Engineer and the Doctor have? It's gotta be pretty herky for the Doctor to do some of those huge area effect Transforms.

Definately a very pretty book if oddly sized. Glossy paper, full color artwork, the works. Good chapter on gming high powered supers game and the mechanics look to hold up to the power level at first glance. It just covers the first 12 issues of the Authority ending with Jenny's death which, IMO, is before the book started to go downhill.

I was in the demo of Authority at GenCon-Indy. The guy running the game was a GoO freelance guy (so he might not have all the facts). He said the plan was to release a sourcebook for the Authority for books later in the series. And then release a book similar to the Authority book (ie hardback with full rules) for Stormwatch (or one of the other Wildstorm series) with a sourcebook for Stormwatch to come out later. I am sure much of that plan depends on the sales of the Authority.

Has anyone checked out GoO's Deus Ex, that one looked interesting to me.

In the first 12 issues, I can't recall him doing anything that couldn't be managed on 350 points, unless I missed something. He did have that massive Aid to all Powers based on sunlight, but I don't recall him using it much in the time frame covered by the RPG.

60 Point "Solar Powers" VPP. 1d6 RKA, Penetrating, AOE:R, Continuous, Megascale times 2. Wait a few turns. Moon is now sterile.

Drop Continuous and add another level of Penetrating and 0 End cost to make sure.

Yeah but they generally do not sit around waiting to be exterminated. And in the Authority world I can imagine quite a few people with hardening. He was fighting people that used themselves as missiles and then had the audacity to stand up after they hit the ground. He is that world's equivalent to Superman. I think I would give him a little more than 350.

Yeah but they generally do not sit around waiting to be exterminated. And in the Authority world I can imagine quite a few people with hardening. He was fighting people that used themselves as missiles and then had the audacity to stand up after they hit the ground. He is that world's equivalent to Superman. I think I would give him a little more than 350.

That world's Superman runs Clark's Bar, and that world's Captain Marvel died storming the station. ;)

On a less jokey note, a 70 point VPP would have let him add another level of penetrating. Problem solved, unless the GM has double hardened foes there, in which case a 75 point VPP allows ...

I tend to be a min-maxer if I'm not careful, but I don't see a need for 1200 points to match Apollo as he was presented in that series. Most of his power stunts required that Aid to All Powers in Sunlight to be used anyway.

I'm fairly sure I could get him into 350 points. If I have time I'll give it a try. ;)

Though I'm loathe to even mention Mark Millar's run on THE AUTHORITY, it should be noted that some of the feats he pulled off during that run were pretty impressive. His heat vision was sufficient to entirely incinerate a powerful villain with one blast, and as I recall he did essentially the same thing to an evil analogue of the Engineer.