The Wheel of Time

NuSoardGraphite

Re: The Wheel of Time

With the recent release of Knife of Dreams, I have gotten a little wind back in my Wheel of Time sails. The book finally reveals which of the Five Powers are used in Traveling (and presumably Skimming), so I updated the appropriate sections above.

Also, skimming (no pun intended) over my channeling rules, I found some areas that could use some clarification and outright fixin'. The most important of those have already been done, but I'm going to go back over the whole document and try to make it read easier. Also, since most of the write-ups and stuff are spread out over the thread, I'm thinking of creating an "index" page with links to the individual posts.

There were many new weaves displayed in Knife of Dreams, but I am torn as to whether I should write those up immediately or wait a while so I don't post anything potentially spoiling.

Oh, and if you are a Wheel of Time fan, get the darn book. Finally some real movement in regards to the plot.

-nolgroth

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were many new weaves displayed in Knife of Dreams, but I am torn as to whether I should write those up immediately or wait a while so I don't post anything potentially spoiling.

Oh, and if you are a Wheel of Time fan, get the darn book. Finally some real movement in regards to the plot.

-nolgroth

Hey, please feel free to write up the new weaves. I'd say just post them with a spoiler warning and you'd be fine.

I haven't picked up the new book yet, but I plan on getting it this Thursday at a Robert Jordan book signing.

In a related question, would there be any interest in compiling all the Wheel of Time Hero conversion material into a PDF or Word document to get it all in one place and enable better sharing of the information? I think having it all in one place would help us see where the gaps are as well. I'd be more than happy to help compile the material (going back through this thread and others) if there is any interest.

Hey, please feel free to write up the new weaves. I'd say just post them with a spoiler warning and you'd be fine.

I haven't picked up the new book yet, but I plan on getting it this Thursday at a Robert Jordan book signing.

In a related question, would there be any interest in compiling all the Wheel of Time Hero conversion material into a PDF or Word document to get it all in one place and enable better sharing of the information? I think having it all in one place would help us see where the gaps are as well. I'd be more than happy to help compile the material (going back through this thread and others) if there is any interest.

The end result of everything that I do for the WoT Conversion will be in a PDF document or something of the sort. I'm far from completely done, but it is starting to shape up nicely. As to your question about help compiling the stuff, heck yeah. I only have one caveat and that is Eosin and I have both created independent channeling rules that are quite different in function. Some of the stuff that I have used (such as Shielding) comes right out of Eosin's system, but overall they are different. To make matters even more complicated, I had another system based roughly on The Gift from Fantasy HERO.

Keep in mind that Eosin and Nu Soard Graphite in particular have done some amazing work on converting WoT. I just hope Nu Soard Graphite gets around to updating his sword forms. One of the coolest things ever. (Speaking of Eosin's work, can I add a modified version of your Arms of Air variant to the Weaves list? Can we post your Myyrdraal write-up here?)

So yeah, as long as you give credit where due, I have no problem with you doing the PDF thing. Probably going to have to create versions for it if you start now, cuz I ain't done yet. Still have to figure out exactly how I am going to stat out those pesky Ogier.....

(Speaking of Eosin's work' date=' can I add a modified version of your Arms of Air variant to the Weaves list? Can we post your Myyrdraal write-up here?)[/quote']

Thanks for asking. You can hack, slice, incorporate, repost, or use anything that I have written --- if that wasn't the intention it would not have been posted. You can consider this blanket permission from me.

:P

The end result of everything that I do for the WoT Conversion will be in a PDF document or something of the sort. I'm far from completely done, but it is starting to shape up nicely. As to your question about help compiling the stuff, heck yeah. I only have one caveat and that is Eosin and I have both created independent channeling rules that are quite different in function. Some of the stuff that I have used (such as Shielding) comes right out of Eosin's system, but overall they are different. To make matters even more complicated, I had another system based roughly on The Gift from Fantasy HERO.

Keep in mind that Eosin and Nu Soard Graphite in particular have done some amazing work on converting WoT. I just hope Nu Soard Graphite gets around to updating his sword forms. One of the coolest things ever. (Speaking of Eosin's work, can I add a modified version of your Arms of Air variant to the Weaves list? Can we post your Myyrdraal write-up here?)

So yeah, as long as you give credit where due, I have no problem with you doing the PDF thing. Probably going to have to create versions for it if you start now, cuz I ain't done yet. Still have to figure out exactly how I am going to stat out those pesky Ogier.....

Sounds great. I think I might wait a bit (a week or two) before getting started to compile what we have so far. I'll work with you and everyone else to ensure that everyone is credited properly. You're right, the various channeling systems are probably going to be the toughest to compile, since I've seen various partial systems posted. Not sure that any one channeling system covers all the possibilities in the books, but I'm sure that will come together over time.

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on first draft the WoT to Hero System conversion PDF project. I have grabbed all the substantive material from this thread, along with two others I found (see below) and pasted it into a Word document. It's extremely ugly at this point and needs to be cleaned up a great deal. I have been extremely careful to make sure that all the authors of the individual pieces have been maintained (right now I have it all color-coded in the document). Some of the material is going to be very easy to extract, while much of the rest (especially Channeling rules) is going to take a while. I will also make sure that the variant Channeling systems (e.g., Nolgroth's and Eosin's) are all presented separately as optional systems.

Here are the links to the threads I've drawn from so far. If anyone has other threads I should grab material from, please let me know.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2338

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12881

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24376

P.S. I picked up Knife of Dreams last night at a book signing with Robert Jordan. No word on when the final book is coming out (he confirmed that there will be only one more in the main WoT series). He has ideas for two additional short prequel novels; those are confirmed. He has an idea that would fill up 2-3 additional WoT books outside the main series, which he calls "outrigger novels" because they don't deal directly with the main story arc. He is going to sit on those books for a year or two while he decides if the basic concept is strong enough to support 2-3 books being written. If not, he won't write them. After the next WoT book he will write a new fantasy trilogy (different universe altogether) that he has a contract for. So basically we get one more WoT book then we'll have to wait a while for any more development of the setting/characters.

I have all my stuff in word... care for the DOC?

Eosin

PS - once you get it all together if I can find a spare moment, I might try to gussy it up in InDesign. I have a few spare graphics laying about.

That would be great, thanks!

My email address is andrew.byers(at)gmail dot com (hopefully the spambots won't recognize that as an email address.....) :)

It's really heartening to see this thread coming alive again. I was hoping for this kind of thing to happen when Knife of Dreams came out. Good to see that there is still some interest.

The news about a single main sequence WoT book is also good news, sort of. It will be good to see the story wrapped up, but it also means that I won't get to play in Randland for very much longer. It will be interesting to see Mr. Jordan tackle a new setting.

So, back to the topic of conversion,

I have been thinking about Cultural Packages for the different human factions. Some of these seem almost like "racial" abilities (like the Aiel ability to withstand tremendous amounts of pain), while others are clearly cultural. Has anybody else had any thoughts on this?

[SPOILER ALERT]

Did it seem that the Ogier are going to disappear at the end of the Third Age? The text in the early part of KoD about the Book of Translation and even a few words shared between Elder Haman and Loial implied that the Ogier will withdraw from the world for a while, until they are spun out by the Pattern again. (I'll look at the section again later to get the exact wording.) If so, that could make part of the conversion easier. Creating stats to the Ogier that stayed true to the books, yet made them unique to play has been the hurdle lately. Since I tentatively wanted to use the Fourth Age as a setting, that may make things much easier.

On a separate note, the bonding of Ashamen and Aes Sedai has the smell of future tradition to it. I've had some thoughts on how that might relate in a later Age. Interesting how so much of what I am thinking about can be changed with just a few passages in the next (last) book. :)

Anyway, haven't forgotten the conversion or anything, but inertia has me fully in its grip at the moment. I really need a gaming group to playtest things.....

A while back Eosin posted a writeup for a Myrrdraal to the boards; it was in HTML format, but after the HTML feature on these boards was disabled the template became just scrambled code. With Eosin's permission I reconstructed it, and have attached it as a DOC file to its original thread. I don't know if it's among the Documents that Eosin has, but in case it isn't, here's where you can find it:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=766492

The news about a single main sequence WoT book is also good news' date=' sort of. It will be good to see the story wrapped up, but it also means that I won't get to play in Randland for very much longer. It will be interesting to see Mr. Jordan tackle a new setting.[/quote']

Forgot one other thing he said at the book signing. His first project after the next/final main sequence WoT book is the Wheel of Time Encyclopedia. He has someone helping him put this together and as soon as he finishes the series he'll be directing all his attention to the encyclopedia. I suspect this is going to be a very good resource for gamers.

A while back Eosin posted a writeup for a Myrrdraal to the boards; it was in HTML format, but after the HTML feature on these boards was disabled the template became just scrambled code. With Eosin's permission I reconstructed it, and have attached it as a DOC file to its original thread. I don't know if it's among the Documents that Eosin has, but in case it isn't, here's where you can find it:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=766492

Thank you very much for cleaning that up and putting it into Word! I've grabbed it from the other thread and put it with the other shadowspan write-ups that Nolgroth wrote (trolloc, dragkhar, and gholam).

Forgot one other thing he said at the book signing. His first project after the next/final main sequence WoT book is the Wheel of Time Encyclopedia. He has someone helping him put this together and as soon as he finishes the series he'll be directing all his attention to the encyclopedia. I suspect this is going to be a very good resource for gamers.

Damn! Too bad I already repped you. Fantastic news. I can't wait to get a hold of that. Hopefully it will have some sort of resource about Channeling Weaves and which of the Five Powers are used in each. That would be an excellent resource.

Hopefully it will have some sort of resource about Channeling Weaves and which of the Five Powers are used in each. That would be an excellent resource.

I think it will. He mentioned channeling briefly when he was talking about the encyclopedia, which makes me suspect he's probably going to list/describe all known weaves. I can only assume he'll include which powers are used in each. I remember someone asking specifically about more detailed maps as well, and Jordan said that he thought the encyclopedia would have a series of new, detailed maps as part of the package.