The Wheel of Time

NuSoardGraphite

Re: The Wheel of Time

Thanks. There is a bucketload of research in that post fest.

How much of the information is research versus ad-lib? The details are awesome, but I don't remember quite that much breadth of knowledge being passed on through the books. An incredible depth on the topics covered, but not that much breadth.

True, but there is evidence of male channalers being wearily welcomed during the trolloc wars even by the Aes Sedai. They will eventually go insane but once you start a game in WOT you are automatically playing in a Mirror World so why not leave the players guessing as part of the suspense of the game? Just don't tell anyone if the taint will be cleansed or the dragon will be reborn in your game until it happens or doesn't happen.

Again true. I think that would likely be my second favorite time period to play in. I still think the Fourth Age offers many opportunities, without the worry of the Taint. If the effects of the Taint are something that you and your players want to explore, then the Trolloc Wars sounds like a really cool period to play in.

Hmmmn. How would one model the affects of the Taint in HERO terms? I have to think about that.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously one or more of these questions may well be answered by the conclusion of the Wheel of Time setting. But who's going to wait six to eight years before running a WoT game? :)

My, but I can be long-winded. Now back to your regularly scheduled Board Discussion Forum.

Or even more likely is that Robert Jordan will never finish the books, and we will have his children or some fan come along and tell us what was meant to happen. He is an odler man and retirement and/or death often comes with age.

Or even more likely is that Robert Jordan will never finish the books' date=' and we will have his children or some fan come along and tell us what was meant to happen. He is an odler man and retirement and/or death often comes with age.[/quote']

I'd rather not entertain that notion myself. We do have at least one more book due to come out in October. Knife of Dreams is something I have been looking forward to. When Path of Daggers came out, Mr. Jordan stated that he needed three more books to finish the series. Maybe he will stretch it out long enough to finish Wot.

I'd rather not entertain that notion myself. We do have at least one more book due to come out in October. Knife of Dreams is something I have been looking forward to. When Path of Daggers came out' date=' Mr. Jordan stated that he needed three more books to finish the series. Maybe he will stretch it out long enough to finish Wot.[/quote']

I recall Jordan also saying that he intends to 'keep writing until they put him in the grave', or something like that. I think he means keep writing in the WoT series... He may "need" three more books to finish the series, but I suspect he'll probably put out 6 or 7 more and then die without finishing it.. :P

Certainly a rich setting, though.. possibly a bit too rich for my gaming tastes. I would always be afraid that someone would have read (or imagined) some story or interview that they'd use to try to rules-lawyer/genre-lawyer things to death.. either that, or some players would have no clue at all about the setting, and all your clever schemes, homages, etc. fall flat because you're forgetting that they haven't read a single one of the ~10,000 pages of narrative out there.. ("Jeez Bill.. ok.. We'll let it go this week, but you better have read at least up until Rand cleanses the Taint by next week's game, or you'll be seeing flecks in front of your eyes!")

Congrats and my envy to those of you who can get a great game going in this setting!

Certainly a rich setting, though.. possibly a bit too rich for my gaming tastes. I would always be afraid that someone would have read (or imagined) some story or interview that they'd use to try to rules-lawyer/genre-lawyer things to death.. either that, or some players would have no clue at all about the setting, and all your clever schemes, homages, etc. fall flat because you're forgetting that they haven't read a single one of the ~10,000 pages of narrative out there.. ("Jeez Bill.. ok.. We'll let it go this week, but you better have read at least up until Rand cleanses the Taint by next week's game, or you'll be seeing flecks in front of your eyes!")

Congrats and my envy to those of you who can get a great game going in this setting!

Been there, I once wrote up over 40 pages of rules for my Wheel of Time Game only to have it fall flat when two players had read the series and the other four could care less. The game was fun for every one except those of us familiar with the setting. No one even cared what the titles incured. "You see a small band of Aeil, the look concerned over something and a couple are walking with their hands over their vails ready to pull them to face at any moment."

Player, "Aeil cowerds I bet whatever they are afraid of is just a ogrier or something"

Other players, "Crap!"

I recall Jordan also saying that he intends to 'keep writing until they put him in the grave'' date=' or something like that. I think he means keep writing in the WoT series... He may "need" three more books to finish the series, but I suspect he'll probably put out 6 or 7 more and then die without finishing it.. :P[/quote']

Yeah, but he also explicitly stated that he wants to punch out a new series immediately following this one. The only bits that I've read about it are that a sailor is marooned on a beach in some sort of Seanchan like society. He didn't give much more details and I'll be Lightblinded if I can even recall where I read it at.

I can totally understand your concerns there. My counter is that any game setting that a player doesn't know about has the same potential affect. This includes most homebrew game settings as well. I guess that I always took it upon myself to educate the players as we go. In many ways, my GMing style is much like EotW. The first characters to start out in the setting are ignorant and are "educated" by coincidental lore from those in the know. As the players become more familiar with the setting, so too do their alter-egos in the setting.

On the flip side, if the players have absolutely no drive to learn the new setting then it is destined for failure. Going into that subject is one that I have seen covered time and time again on the boards. I couldn't tell you how to keep every player motivated. I only know that it is the attempt to run an enjoyable game and have fun that matters. The dead weights will either fall into the fold or gradually stop attending.

As for rules/genre lawyers, well I suffer fools about as lightly as lead. I won't say that I rule the game with an iron fist, but I make sure that they all understand that the final arbiter is me. So far, I haven't had any players walk out because they thought me unfair. 'Course the glory days of my gaming career are a decade in the past. I really need to find a decent group to game with. :straight:

How much of the information is research versus ad-lib?

The sections - research, course of the war, raw history, and various facts are all lifted strait from the text of various books. The kingdom write-ups use that information but also fill in as needed.

I recall Jordan also saying that he intends to 'keep writing until they put him in the grave'' date=' or something like that. I think he means keep writing in the WoT series... [/quote']

That's actually in his "about the author" bio in the back of the books. I think the text is "he intends to keep writing until they nail shut his coffin." :D

JG

Feel free, let me know where he gets posted. COTH (My website) has a very open policy about others using our stuff. We all draw from the same well so it seems rather bullish to get all whacked about someone else borrowing something. :rolleyes:

BTW - his mage sight is a lazy attempt at det channeling. Just rename it to "Det Channeling." I hate it when I get caught being lazy.

:drink:

Feel free' date=' let me know where he gets posted. COTH (My website) has a very open policy about others using our stuff. We all draw from the same well so it seems rather bullish to get all whacked about someone else borrowing something.[/quote']

Thanks. I'm still working on getting the page to the point where it would be useful (as opposed to a bunch of empty space and a couple of links). Speaking of which, do you mind if I throw a link to Call of the Horn on my site?

BTW - his mage sight is a lazy attempt at det channeling. Just rename it to "Det Channeling." I hate it when I get caught being lazy.

Mage Sight is from Fantasy HERO? I believe that would work. I assume it is Detect Magic bought as a Sense. I think I would attune it to touch, since one of the fades in TDR referenced to an itch when the three girls were captured. I think I'll read up on Enhanced Senses a little before tweaking anything.

The ability seems to have a pretty wide range, but then the rules and limits to channeling were never spelled out in any concrete way. More's the frustration for that.

Well, thanks again. I'll keep posting as I get some progress done.

Mage sight is basically a det magic at range - active rather than passive.

As to the links - feel free. You should also check out the stickied thread in the CotH forum for a pretty massive list of RPG links.

Okay, I have been trying to put together different packages. This is what I have so far for Wolfbrother. I'm thinking that I may have to put some sort of bonus to PER roll with all senses, but I haven't convinced myself yet.

Cost Power END
10 Keen Nose: Tracking with Smell/Taste Group 0
3 Wolf Ears: Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group) 0
5 Wolf Sight: Nightvision 0
16 Wolf Speech: Mind Link , Specific Group of Minds - Wolves, No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x4), Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2) (52 Active Points); Feedback STUN Only (-1), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Normal Range (-1/4), Reduced By Range (-1/4), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4) 0
Powers Cost: 34

I want to add a potential berserk disadvantage to simulate when Perrin has to fight off the wolf-aspect when he talks to the wolves. I don't know, it may be better off as a Psych Lim, since an EGO roll seems more appropriate than a generic roll.

Also, I haven't worked up exactly how I want to do the Wolf Dream/Dreaming powers. Obviously a lot can happen in the Dream, including precognition, reality warping and moving across distances at high rates of speed. Also, what happens in the dream happens to the physical body. Hurm. Will have to think on that one and read up on some of the rules to boot.

Anyway, it is a beginning. :)

I was gonna comment on the dream aspect but see that you got to that outside of the package.

Might I suggest that you consider using the "Astral Form" spell. That kinda fixes everything in one fell swoop. You don't need to buy a ton of powers since those are all bundled into the "Astral Form" or in this case Tel'rhiod. Then you can tack on a fairly cheap precog power and be done with it.

I was gonna comment on the dream aspect but see that you got to that outside of the package.

Might I suggest that you consider using the "Astral Form" spell. That kinda fixes everything in one fell swoop. You don't need to buy a ton of powers since those are all bundled into the "Astral Form" or in this case Tel'rhiod. Then you can tack on a fairly cheap precog power and be done with it.

Astral Form? Will have to look through my stuff. Is it one of the sidebar powers or from one of the Fantasy HERO grimoires?

Actually I think it is in Ultimate Mystic and The Mystic World. Professor Ka also has it in Vibora Bay and IIRC one of the first characters in Arcane Adversaries also has it..... It is sort of a standard, in as much as Hero has standards. There is a fairly detailed discussion of it in one of the books but I will have to look for it.

Ah. I think I have the Ultimate Mystic around here somewhere. I remember buying it and reading it. It was the one HERO sourcebook that I actually felt was somehow less than it could have been. I haven't seen it in a month or more. I will look and if the Astral Form write-up isn't in there, I have a mechanic in mind.

Thanks for the heads up.

P.S. Found it. Page 54 of the Ultimate Mystic. Hmmmn. As the basic mechanic for getting to T'A'R, that works perfectly. For the more advanced things like Precog and the even the Dreamer abilities, it would require a little more, but the basic Astral Form works well.

Now I just have to do the deed and finish the Wolfbrother package. Thanks again.

Well here is a little bit of a revision to the above. I added what I thought were reasonable powers to reflect the Wolf Dream. As Eosin suggested, I tried to stay within the bounds of Astral Form. I used the Alternative One with some minor modifications to fit the scale I am designing to (125/75).

I don't think that Perrin (the only Wolf Brother we have seen in the Dream) exhibited any powers beyond this. I am also going to use this as the base for a Dreamer package. Hypothetically, a Wolf Brother could learn more abilities, since many of them are not tied to the One Power.

Any feedback would be really appreciated. I will be posting additional material as I get it completed. I may have the Dreamer package up Real Soon Now .

EDIT: Refer to post below for complete package.

I would add a "No conscious control" to the precognition.

This is a really good work up. You might add a section on suggested purchases.

A. Increased Running

B. Stamina (+2 to CON checks or additional CON/END)

C. Beserk (FH talent)

D. Pack Fighting (Teamwork or CSL when fighting with Wolves)

E. DF: Yellowed Eyes

F. DF: Wilderness Man

G: Psysical Lim: Lost to the Wolf

I am sure there are more but that is a list of things that some of the Wolf Brothers might posses (but not all of them so it shouldn't go in the package proper).

Now a return favor - do you mind if I post this up on my website :celebrate

Actually, the yellow eyes is indicative of all Wolf Brothers. Don't forget Elyas, nor the feral one they met once they left Emond's Field.

Also, the Bersek should be a part of the package as well. Elyas has his brush-ins with that part of his nature, although he seems to embrace it at times whereas Perrin fights it every step of the way.

Just my two cents. ;)

I would add a "No conscious control" to the precognition.

Good suggestion. I was torn between adding that or not. I kind of settled on the "vague and unclear" until I could test the waters here.

This is a really good work up. You might add a section on suggested purchases.

A. Increased Running

B. Stamina (+2 to CON checks or additional CON/END)

C. Beserk (FH talent)

D. Pack Fighting (Teamwork or CSL when fighting with Wolves)

E. DF: Yellowed Eyes

F. DF: Wilderness Man

G: Psysical Lim: Lost to the Wolf

I haven't gotten into the Disadvantages yet, but at the very least I was going to do at least the Yellow Eyes and I would call the other DF "Feral." Not so much as outward appearance, but more as a subliminal sense of presence. Lost to the Wolf implies that the character would all but be an NPC in my mind, but I could see it simulated in short term with either Berserk or a Psych Lim. Berserk seems more appropriate, having a "Go" and "Recover" roll, but it seemed to be a matter of Willpower to keep hold of humanity. Sounds like a Psych Lim to me. The Pack Fighting is a very cool idea. I seem to remember Perrin using an almost Wolf "style" of fighting when he took that Fade down in the beginning of Dragon Reborn. Hmmnn. The Stamina ability is hard to tell. Both Perrin and Elyas were fit and healthy men before the change into a Wolf Brother.

I am sure there are more but that is a list of things that some of the Wolf Brothers might posses (but not all of them so it shouldn't go in the package proper).

I could create a section entitled "Optional Abilities" and tack it to the end of the list. One of the things I'm concerned about is having too large a package. I am designing for a 200pt total game, and the package as it stands still takes up about half that. Keeping that in mind, another "Optional Ability" would be an increased PRE to reflect that Feral Aura I was talking about above. :)

Now a return favor - do you mind if I post this up on my website :celebrate

Of course you may post and that is a blanket statement for anything I do post here. Now, keep in mind that, when I get enough solid material to create a website, I am going to have some sort of "official" version. I will even post the HERO Designer files at that point.

Re: The Wheel of Time - Wolf Brother semi-final post

Okay. I think this just about does it. Eosin's suggestions (thank you) were good ones and I incorporated what I thought would be appropriate to the package. I'm sure there are still some minor tweaks to be done, but you should be able to build from here to customize the character.

Enjoy

Wolfbrother Package

COST..POWERS

..10..Keen Nose: Tracking with Smell/Taste Group

...3..Wolf Ears: Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group)

...5..Wolf Sight: Nightvision

..16..Wolf Speech: Mind Link, Specific Group of Minds - Wolves, No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x4), Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2) (52 Active Points); Feedback STUN Only (-1), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Normal Range (-1/4), Reduced By Range (-1/4), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)

..31..Wolf Dream Form: Duplication (creates 200-point form), Altered Duplicates (100%; +1) (80 Active Points); Extra Time (20 Minutes, Only to Activate, Character must fall asleep in order to enter Wolf Dream; -1 1/4), Feedback (All Duplicates Take Damage When Struck; -1), Original character is Incapacitated and Helpless while Duplicate exists (-1), Both Duplicates die if they do not recombine within 24 hours (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) plus Entering the Wolf Dream: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension, Any Location corresponding to current physical location) (22 Active Points); Linked (Wolf Dream Form; -1/2)

Dream Form Abilities

These abilites can only be used in the Wolf Dream by the Duplicate form.

..10..Long Stride: Multipower, 20-point reserve, (20 Active Points); all slots Only in Wolf Dream (-1)

..2m..Teleportation 5", x8 Noncombat (20 Active Points); Only in Wolf Dream (-1), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4)

..2m..Teleportation 5", MegaScale (1" = 100 km; +3/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (20 Active Points); Only in Wolf Dream (-1), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4)

...7..Windows of Foresight: Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group) (40 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Only in Wolf Dream (-1), Vague and Unclear (-1/2)

Optional Abilities

..14..Berserk Fury Aid Strength 2d6 (20 Active Points); Only when Enraged (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2) plus Physical Damage Reduction, 25% (10 Active Points); STUN Only (-1/2), Only when Enraged (-1/2), Linked (Aid; -1/2)

...5..Feral Aura: +5 PRE (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)

..10..Wolf Fighting Tactics: +2 with HTH Combat

COST..CHARACTER DISADVANTAGES

..10..Distinctive Features: Reflective Yellow Eyes (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

..15..Distinctive Features: Feral aura (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

..15..Enraged: When fighting Shadowspawn (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-

..10..Psychological Limitation: Fighting the Wolf. When using Wolf Speech, it is easy to lose one's sense of self to the pack mindset. Losing it for too long could mean becoming "Lost to the Wolf." (Common, Moderate)

..10..Social Limitation: Wolf Brothers are misunderstood by society in general. Aes Sedai try to study them, many people shun them, Whitecloaks consider them Shadowspawn. (Frequently, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)

Here are a couple of items. I'm trying to think of other ter'angreal to write-up. I considered the three ring testing ter'angreal in the White Tower, but that seems more of a plot item than anything.

I may write up the doors to the Aelfinn and Elfinn realms. Also seems more of a prop item, but what the heck.

I'll be adding items as inspiration strikes me. Enjoy.

Horn of Valere

Created in an Age before the Age of Legends, the Horn of Valere calls Heroes from all Ages to fight for the person who sounds the Horn. The exact number of Heroes varies. Time and the Wheel spin them out to re-live their lives, leaving the remainder bound to the Horn.

COST..POWER

......Horn of Valere: Summon 128 300-point Hero, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Slavishly Devoted (+1) (237 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (The Horn is bound to the person who sounds it. To any other person, the Horn is nothing more than an instrument. Once the Hornsounder dies, then the horn can be bound to another sounder.; -1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, -3/4), Gestures (-1/4)

Twisted Ring

Given to Egwene al'Vere by Verin Sedai, the twisted ring allows a person to enter Tel'aran'rhiod. It does not provide any special protection or abilities once the person gets to Tel'aran'rhiod

COST..POWER

......Dream Form: Duplication (creates 200-point form), Altered Duplicates (100%; +1) (80 Active Points); Independent (-2), Extra Time (20 Minutes, Only to Activate, Character must fall asleep in order to enter Tel'aran'rhiod; -1 1/4), Feedback (All Duplicates Take Damage When Struck; -1), Original character is Incapacitated and Helpless while Duplicate exists (-1), Both Duplicates die if they do not recombine within 24 hours (-1/2), OIF (-1/2) plus Entering Tel'aran'rhiod: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension, Any Location corresponding to current physical location), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (33 Active Points); Independent (-2), Linked (Dream Form; -1/2), OIF (-1/2)

I have finished a rough draft of the Dreamer Package. With the Wolfbrother Package opening up Tel'aran'rhiod, it seemed only natural to follow up with a true Dreamer. This package could be tacked on to any existing character to create a Dreamer, even a Wise One of the Aiel. It is an expensive package, especially as it has no Disadvantages associated with it.

EDIT: Added optional Enter Tel'aran'rhiod in the Flesh power.

As always, differing views and concepts are most welcome.

Dreamer Package

COST..SKILL

...3..Dream Mastery (Ego-based)

COST..TALENT

...4..Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Dreams Only (-1/4)

COST..POWER

..31..Dream Form:Duplication (creates 200-point form), Altered Duplicates (100%; +1) (80 Active Points); Extra Time (20 Minutes, Only to Activate, Character must fall asleep in order to enter Wolf Dream; -1 1/4), Feedback (All Duplicates Take Damage When Struck; -1), Original character is Incapacitated and Helpless while Duplicate exists (-1), Both Duplicates die if they do not recombine within 24 hours (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) plus Entering Tel'aran'rhiod: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension, Any Location corresponding to current physical location) (22 Active Points); Linked (Dream Form; -1/2)

Dream Form Abilities [Notes: These are abilities that are bought by the Dreamer when in Tel'aran'rhiod. These abilites can only be used in Tel'aran'rhiod by the Duplicate form.]

..12..Dream Mastery:60 Point VPP [Notes: Each point in the Dream Mastery talent gives the character the equivelent of a 5 Point Variable Power Pool. The individual powers in the pool must be designed and a list of abilities kept by either the GM or the player. If the player wishes to invent a new power, they design the power, including all Power Modifiers. After that, the character may learn the power in 5 Active Point increments. Each increment takes 1 week to perfect. When the 5 point increments add up to the full Active Cost of the power, it is learned and the power can then be used normally from then on out The character must have a Dream Mastery skill as well. This Power is Based on a Talent. Inspiration for Dream Mastery comes from "The Gift" (page 265 of the Fantasy HERO sourcebook).]

..10..Long Stride:Multipower, 20-point reserve, (20 Active Points); all slots Only in Tel'aran'rhiod (-1)

..2m..1) Teleportation 5", x8 Noncombat (20 Active Points); Only in Tel'aran'rhiod (-1), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4)

..2m..2) Teleportation 5", MegaScale (1" = 100 km; +3/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (20 Active Points); Only in Tel'aran'rhiod (-1), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4)

...9..Locate by Need:Detect A Large Class Of Things 11- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, MegaScale (1" = 100 km; +3/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (40 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Only in Tel'aran'rhiod (-1), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Lockout (-1/2), Linked (???; When the character "Detects" the object needed, they teleport towards the location of the object. May take multiple jumps to reach the iterm.; -1/2)

...7..Precognitive Dreams:Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group) (40 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Only in Tel'aran'rhiod (-1), Vague and Unclear (-1/2)

Optional Ability

...7..Entering Tel'aran'rhiod In the Flesh:Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension) (20 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (2d6 Transform Character loses a part of what makes them human. Short-term effects could be an animosity from other Dreamers or Wolves. Long-term, the character may become an NPC under the GM's control.; -1), Requires a Dream Mastery Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 5 Active Points; -1)

Powers Cost: 80

Total Character Cost: 87