The Wheel of Time

NuSoardGraphite

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I've been reading the latest book, which has given up quite a bit of information on the Warder/Aes Sedai bond. Apparently if the person Bonded can also channel, they can feel each other channelling through the bond, though they can't actually see anything or tell whats going on, they know their channelling.

Interesting, no?

Lets keep this thread going folks. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to the Blademaster arts very soon.

While I think Robert Jordan's writing style leaves a lot to be desired, the magic system in his world is one of my favorites. I also have the D20 book. I have been trying to convert some of the weaves etc. into hero system with mixed results. So far, I have all of the Cloud Dancing ones more or less done. Several of them had to be done with little tweaks in the rules. Dang! the librarian just turned off the lights to get me to leave, so I'll post some more tomorrow. I had it set up so characters bought 5 different VPP's of different strengths, and bought skills for different 'talents', such as "Cloud dancing"

They draw from their vpp's to supply the cost of the power and make a skill roll for the right talent. For example: Summon lightning uses Air and Fire. Characters can draw from both pools (though no more than 4/5 of the necessary real point cost can come from an individual pool) Assuming they have sufficient points, they make a skill roll. Summon lightning falls under Cloud dancing, so they roll for that skill.

Oh yeah, Characters also make an ego roll to connect with the source. As long as they hold it they are considered concentrating. They don't have to make additional ego rolls as long as they don't release the source. To simulate how tiring the source is, they cannot take recovery while holding onto the source

I have a buch of d20 stuff for the WoT on my website...Call of the Horn.

There are some adventures and other stuff even if it is only the ideas and reseach that turns out to be useful.

Randy ~Eosin the Red ~Muldegian\

PS - I broke my template when I chaged hosts a few days ago so the navigation may be bad in spots.

Sorry.

I was sitting at work, doing doughnuts with my forklift because I was bored and there was nothing to do when it came to me:

You can represent Talent with a particular aspect of The One Power with Penalty Skill Levles!!!!!

My mind started going into overdrive then, thinking of other things as well.

One thing I would like to do though is develop a list of Talents that we've seen in the books so far. Here's what I remember off-hand:

Healing

Dreaming

Fortelling

Delving

Enchanting (I forget the term they use when one is creating an Angreal or Ter'angreal)

Can anyone think of any more Talents (or categories of using the One Power) and possibly what kind of weaves are used in them (I know Earth figures heavily in creating Angreal etc)

• 1 month later...

I think I am gonna run with the 5 Skills and VPP on the write-ups that I am doing. One of the big honkers with the One Power is predefining the power of the One Power.

Rand is the most powerful channeler in the world BAR NONE.

Ishi is next in the scale

Alvia

Nyn

Taim

Logain

Egwene

Suiane

Moiroine

The scale is just to give you guys an idea of what I am talking about. SO my question would be what is the absolute limit on the One Power VPP. Remember that this limits your active costs also.

IMO - Rand is busting down a 150-180 point VPP

By the time we get to the Suiane/Moir levels we are already down to the 90-100 point level and your average sister is a 60 pt VPP with weak sisters coming in with 45 pt VPP. Less than weak means they were turned away aftewr some training.

One other comment on the Angraels. Most of them should have a built in buffer - the little fat man should give +4 to all One Power Rolls. Some of the Sa' Angraels do not seem to offer as much protection - perhaps they only have +1 per 20 AP and Callandor stacks 90 Points onto the VPP and adds no Skill - this would mean it was unbuffered and prone to burning out users.

Is that a good representation?

Check out the thread where I am writing some of the Wheel characters up. Feel free to pick at them and let me know where I have gone wrong.

• 1 year later...

Re: The Wheel of Time

The scale is just to give you guys an idea of what I am talking about. SO my question would be what is the absolute limit on the One Power VPP. Remember that this limits your active costs also.

Whatever it takes to use Balefire, which not only kills the target but erases his history retroactively, as when Rand used it against a Forsaken, thus inadvertently saving the Aiel the villain had just killed.

JG

• 2 months later...

So, Nu Soard Graphite, you said that you were about 3/4 done with the Blademaster martial arts stuff. Have you "officially" completed them yet? :)

If I were to throw together a Wheel of Time for HERO website, would you mind if I used the blademaster rules? I've been debating the idea for a while and I think that I might have enough mental energy to actually build and maintain a project like that.

(And bump to keep the thread alive.)

No, I have been unable to complete that project due to some other considerations (computer problems and whatnot. I'm not using my own computer at this time)

Feel free to use them as much as you wish. Its why I posted them.

In a month or so, I should be able to get back to them. There aren't really that many to finish writing (I just hope the pages I was referrencing still exist!) so it shouldn't take too long once I get back to it.

In fact, I may competely revise them, so they are better implemented, as what I posted here was my first draft....

You really should ask Steve Long. I mean he did the WoT RPG book. I'm sure he'd love to help out with more WoT stuff. :D

Noy likely, When doing Fantasy HERO he implied he did not like Wheel of Time. It was right after he finished Wheel of Time the Role Playing Game, so mabey he was fed up with it? I remeber his asking though for Suggested Reading from board members and it was one book he mentioned in a negative light. (I would put a link here but am unable to find anything older than Feb 2003 in the search)

(Also I am sure there would be copy right concerns with him owning the company to work on another companies licenced material.)

I can definately relate to the "other considerations" issue. For the last couple of years, work has been sucking all of my mental energy. Now things have settled down a little bit and I'm starting to feel the urge to create and expand what we've done with WoT (and other stuff too).

Well, if you are planning to re-create the system, I'm open to waiting around for it. I have a lot of stuff to do myself. At least the basic web page layout is prepared so all I have to do is create content. Of course, that is the hard part.

Good luck.

Noy likely' date=' When doing Fantasy HERO he implied he did not like Wheel of Time. [/quote']

I remember the thread. Mr. Long was highly disinclined towards WoT. Sounded like he just didn't like the series at all. I've noticed that WoT has the love/hate reaction among those who read it.

Back to a relatively "on-topic" question. What time period do you think would be the best to run a campaign in. As far as I see it you have several choices.

Age of Legends

Sounds very much like our own modern world with the exception of being much more of a Utopia than we have. Ter-Angrael seemed to provide the basis for clean energy and a technology that is at least what we are used to, if not higher. In Nynaeve's first battle with Moghedian, there was a mention of travelling to other planets.

I think a campaign in the Era would have to be after the Dark One's prison was breeched. The War of Power/Shadow would make a great campaign backdrop, though I have the feeling it may end up being like Military Fantasy.

The Breaking

Obviously a dangerous time for everybody. This would very much be a post-apoc type of setting. I can't imagine any sort of stable base for any communities.

We got to see what the Aiel went through with Rand's visit to Rhuidean, but what about the other people that eventually settled the remaining part of the world. Could be fun to play in, but I think a campaign would include a great deal of small conflicts.

The Covenent of Ten Nations

The world is starting to settle down and order is restored. The Ogier have just completed Tar Valon. Plenty of action and intrigue to be had.

Trolloc Wars

Another ideal time to role-play in. What more could you ask for? Massive amounts of Trollocs, Myrdraal and other Shadowspawn crunchiness. Of course, most things would tend to be large scale. Afterall, Manetheran was destroyed and Aridhol became Shadar Logoth during this time period.

Hawkwing's Empire

Another timeframe where intrigue and action can take a very important part. As another option, the journey of Luthair Pendraeg to Seancean might be a fun campaign to play with.

Between Hawkwing and Rand

A huge space of time that could encompass a lot of different styles of adventures. While there were many documented cases of momentous events, there is still enough leeway to do some pretty interesting stuff.

Interlude:

With the exception of the Age of Legends, you are going to have problems with having any male channelers. They are going to go insane, rot to death, and/or be hunted down and stilled or executed. While this would certainly be a feasible character concept, it might make for some mighty uncomfortable role-playing. These time periods are definately a call for non-channeling males.

The Dragon Reborn

This is the most likely time period to play in. Most details of the world setting are known. Male channelers may be able to hold off the effects of the Taint until Rand cleanses it.

Many new and old things are coming into their own in this time. Wolfbrothers and the Hornbound are being reborn. The old rules and expectations are breaking down. Almost anything can happen in a world nearing apocalyps.

The downside to this era would be running the campaign without crossing paths with the majority of the named characters. Also, Tarmon Gai'don would certainly be a campaign pauser, if not stopper.

The Fourth Age

Supposedly the world will be Broken again by the Dragon Reborn. What happens after that is open to speculation. There are a few references to scholarly work completed during the Fourth Age, but very little of the world condition has been revealed.

In some ways, this is an ideal setting to play in. There are no boundaries or expectations to live up to. The male half of the Source is clean and ready to use. You can do almost anything with the setting....

....Almost like creating a new setting unto itself. Moving into the Fourth Age would almost like not being in the WoT universe at all. Of course, references to the Third Age and the Dragon Reborn and the Second Breaking could be intertwined readily into the setting.

So there it is. Any thoughts?

Fantastic resource Eosin. I really like the way that each nation was encapsulated into a single message with all the functional details required. I also like the conditions summary at the bottom about the state of the Ways and such. Those little bullet comments are very useful.

My one and only objection to running in any pre-Cleansing of the Taint timeframe would be that male channelers are really not viable, long-term characters. I would also think that if a PC running a male channeler decided to declare himself the Dragon Reborn, their could be problems.

Of couse, that's what Portal Stone Worlds are all about. :)

By the by, how much useful information (meaning non d20 specific) can be found in the role-playing books? I keep my distance from d20 material so I was just wondering if it would be a reference worth shelling out the cash for.

The WOT d20 RPG can be fairly useful but the overwhelming majority of it is rules - funny enough that is where I got most of my use. Knowing the different weaves, overchanneling, Initiate vrs Wilder type stuff helped me with my Hero version of WOT. If you can find it in a used section, I would consider picking it up. However, my site basically has everything one could ever need to play the game in any system but d20. It also has 100 or so roll laying Wheel of Time geeks who are great company and love to dig in on any project.

Fantastic resource Eosin. I really like the way that each nation was encapsulated into a single message with all the functional details required. I also like the conditions summary at the bottom about the state of the Ways and such. Those little bullet comments are very useful.

Thanks. There is a bucketload of research in that post fest.

My one and only objection to running in any pre-Cleansing of the Taint timeframe would be that male channelers are really not viable, long-term characters. I would also think that if a PC running a male channeler decided to declare himself the Dragon Reborn, their could be problems.

True, but there is evidence of male channalers being wearily welcomed during the trolloc wars even by the Aes Sedai. They will eventually go insane but once you start a game in WOT you are automatically playing in a Mirror World so why not leave the players guessing as part of the suspense of the game? Just don't tell anyone if the taint will be cleansed or the dragon will be reborn in your game until it happens or doesn't happen.

Back to a relatively "on-topic" question. What time period do you think would be the best to run a campaign in. As far as I see it you have several choices.

Age of Legends

Sounds very much like our own modern world with the exception of being much more of a Utopia than we have. Ter-Angrael seemed to provide the basis for clean energy and a technology that is at least what we are used to, if not higher. In Nynaeve's first battle with Moghedian, there was a mention of travelling to other planets.

I think a campaign in the Era would have to be after the Dark One's prison was breeched. The War of Power/Shadow would make a great campaign backdrop, though I have the feeling it may end up being like Military Fantasy.

The Breaking

Obviously a dangerous time for everybody. This would very much be a post-apoc type of setting. I can't imagine any sort of stable base for any communities.

We got to see what the Aiel went through with Rand's visit to Rhuidean, but what about the other people that eventually settled the remaining part of the world. Could be fun to play in, but I think a campaign would include a great deal of small conflicts.

The Covenent of Ten Nations

The world is starting to settle down and order is restored. The Ogier have just completed Tar Valon. Plenty of action and intrigue to be had.

Trolloc Wars

Another ideal time to role-play in. What more could you ask for? Massive amounts of Trollocs, Myrdraal and other Shadowspawn crunchiness. Of course, most things would tend to be large scale. Afterall, Manetheran was destroyed and Aridhol became Shadar Logoth during this time period.

Hawkwing's Empire

Another timeframe where intrigue and action can take a very important part. As another option, the journey of Luthair Pendraeg to Seancean might be a fun campaign to play with.

Between Hawkwing and Rand

A huge space of time that could encompass a lot of different styles of adventures. While there were many documented cases of momentous events, there is still enough leeway to do some pretty interesting stuff.

Interlude:

With the exception of the Age of Legends, you are going to have problems with having any male channelers. They are going to go insane, rot to death, and/or be hunted down and stilled or executed. While this would certainly be a feasible character concept, it might make for some mighty uncomfortable role-playing. These time periods are definately a call for non-channeling males.

The Dragon Reborn

This is the most likely time period to play in. Most details of the world setting are known. Male channelers may be able to hold off the effects of the Taint until Rand cleanses it.

Many new and old things are coming into their own in this time. Wolfbrothers and the Hornbound are being reborn. The old rules and expectations are breaking down. Almost anything can happen in a world nearing apocalyps.

The downside to this era would be running the campaign without crossing paths with the majority of the named characters. Also, Tarmon Gai'don would certainly be a campaign pauser, if not stopper.

The Fourth Age

Supposedly the world will be Broken again by the Dragon Reborn. What happens after that is open to speculation. There are a few references to scholarly work completed during the Fourth Age, but very little of the world condition has been revealed.

In some ways, this is an ideal setting to play in. There are no boundaries or expectations to live up to. The male half of the Source is clean and ready to use. You can do almost anything with the setting....

....Almost like creating a new setting unto itself. Moving into the Fourth Age would almost like not being in the WoT universe at all. Of course, references to the Third Age and the Dragon Reborn and the Second Breaking could be intertwined readily into the setting.

So there it is. Any thoughts?

It would have to be the "Fourth Age" (as called by some :) ) I also like the idea of playing in the anciant past. But I think things would not be as utopian as they make it out to be. Remember it was "An Age of Legends" and legends often founded on fact are never really fact. But it would be cool to have all that magic controlled and used against the players.... Uh I mean for the good of mankind.

It would have to be the "Fourth Age" (as called by some :) ) I also like the idea of playing in the anciant past. But I think things would not be as utopian as they make it out to be. Remember it was "An Age of Legends" and legends often founded on fact are never really fact. But it would be cool to have all that magic controlled and used against the players.... Uh I mean for the good of mankind.

I would agree with you about the not-so-Utopia of the Age of Legends except that Mr. Jordan claimed that it was in The World of the Wheel of Time. He said that the concept of war was forgotten, there were no great diseases, blah blah blah. Now once the Bore was created, things would be a whole lot different. You have the Forsaken going over to the Shadow, Friends of the Dark thinking they can get in on the spoils and soon after, Trollocs and other Shadowspawn. The War of Power (Shadow) would be the best time in the Age of Legends to play. At least in my opinion. As Eosin pointed out, the campaign could be a Mirror World and the Age of Legends could have been different.

Now the Fourth Age would be one of the easiest to run in. I think that I would prefer that to the Third Age or Age of Legends. The absolute hardest part would be to build connections, in the players' minds, with the Wheel of Time setting. The best thing I can think of is to liberally tell tales, from a Gleeman's point of view perhaps, of the happenings during Tar'mon Gai'don and before. The trick would then be to start the exaggeration that occurs over time. Rand could be seven feet tall and wield a sword of Light. Perrin Goldeneyes could transform into a wolf and kill Trollocs by the thousands. Mat could never lose a battle and laughed in the face of Aes Sedai. Even the wondergirls could have their own tall tales, though the truth of their accomplishments will mostly be relegated to Tower lore.

So, the next question is whether or not the Asha'men join with the Aes Sedai and form a unified society of channelers. Do the whitecloaks still exist? What is the state of the nations. Does Andor still exist? Cairhein? Where are the Seanchan? Have they integrated with the remainder of the nations? Do they still seek conquest?

Obviously one or more of these questions may well be answered by the conclusion of the Wheel of Time setting. But who's going to wait six to eight years before running a WoT game? :)

My, but I can be long-winded. Now back to your regularly scheduled Board Discussion Forum.