Stargate Hero

shem_whistler

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Stargate Hero

Fairly new to Hero myself, but its impressive what you put together.

Would love to see your final writeup of the FN P90.

Thanks! Glad you like it and hope that you check in from time to time.

There is a writeup for the P90 in Dark Champions and I'm inclined to go with that for starters, as it is the main Sg team weapon. However I know Aroooo has some different ideas on a build for the P90, so when I get round to it I will pick his brains and see what we end up with.

I'm not real happy with DC's P90. This is what I did for the modern weapons thread over in the Other Genre's forum:

P90 (5.7x28mm) Tactical SMG: (Total: 100 Active Cost, 29 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Limited Armor Piercing (up to 20 PD armor only, not vs. Vehicle DEF, FF, FW; +1/4), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2), 4 clips of 50 Charges (+3/4), Autofire (20 shots; +1 1/2) (80 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 11 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), Limited Range (200m effective range; -1/4), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 21) plus Reduced Recoil Impulse: +2 OCV (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only to negate Autofire mods (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Sights (optical and/or laser): +2 OCV (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

Although I am going to rework it now that DC has introduced the Piercing abililty.

Aroooo

Here's one idea - I'd suggest that all of SG-1 should have Combat Luck. This is because, if I ever run Stargate Hero, my writeups for Goa'uld weaponry will include Reduced Penetration, vs Combat Luck. ^_^ Explains why the series stars can get away with being shot at so much, while crunchies (especially Jaffa) get wiped out very quickly.

This isn't necessary, of course. It's the genre-simulationist in me who wants to get things matching up to on-screen as closely as possible.

Here's one idea - I'd suggest that all of SG-1 should have Combat Luck. This is because, if I ever run Stargate Hero, my writeups for Goa'uld weaponry will include Reduced Penetration, vs Combat Luck. ^_^ Explains why the series stars can get away with being shot at so much, while crunchies (especially Jaffa) get wiped out very quickly.

This isn't necessary, of course. It's the genre-simulationist in me who wants to get things matching up to on-screen as closely as possible.

Nice, I like that a lot, thanks.

I'll have to keep that in my head for when I go back to the write-ups. I'm currently working on an SG char sheet template for HD.

if I ever run Stargate Hero' date=' my writeups for Goa'uld weaponry will include Reduced Penetration, vs Combat Luck. ^_^ [/quote']

Or, as Combat Luck is by default hardened you can have all Goa'uld weaponry be Armor Piercing. Leave standard body armor as basic resistant.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally completed my Teal'c write-up.

Many thanks to Arooo, for showing me his stuff on the symbiote powers that I have blatantley used and added to.

Comments as always please.

Teal'c

Player:

Val Char Cost
20 STR 5
16 DEX 18
20 CON 8
15 BODY 10
12 INT 2
14 EGO 8
15 PRE 5
12 COM 1
6 PD 2
7 ED 3
4 SPD 14
8 REC 0
40 END 0
36 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM04" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 76

Cost Power END
24 Junior: (Total: 50 Active Cost, 24 Real Cost) LS (Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: 200 Years) (11 Active Points); IIF (Goa'uld Symbiote; -1/4) (Real Cost: 9) plus Healing 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Hour (-2 1/4), Self Only (-1/2), IIF (Goa'uld Symbiote; -1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus +5 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points); IIF (Goa'uld Symbiote; -1/4) (Real Cost: 6) plus +6 CON (12 Active Points); IIF (Goa'uld Symbiote; -1/4) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic) (Real Cost: 4) 0
Powers Cost: 24

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Bassak Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6, NND [Notes: The Bassak Strike takes a 2d6+1 Hit Location.]
3 Ke'i (Legsweep): 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, Weapon +1 DC Strike, Target Falls
4 Tyger (Bind): 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Bind, +10 STR
Martial Arts Cost: 11

Cost Skill
Everyman Skills
0 1) AK 8-
0 2) Acting 8-
0 3) Climbing 8-
0 4) Concealment 8-
0 5) Conversation 8-
0 6) Paramedics 8-
0 7) Persuasion 8-
0 8) Shadowing 8-
Jaffa Package Skills
3 1) Tracking 11-
2 2) +1 with Staff Weapon
3 3) Combat Piloting 12-
3 4) Stealth 12-
2 5) TF: Goa'uld Vehicles
3 6) Tactics 11-
3 7) Language: English (fluent conversation; literate)
3 8) Language: Goa'uld (fluent conversation; literate)
0 9) Language: Jaffa (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
4 10) WF: Goa'uld Weapons, Small Arms, Unarmed Combat
3 Scholar
1 1) KS: Goa'uld (2 Active Points) 11-
1 2) KS: Jaffa (2 Active Points) 11-
1 3) KS: Lok'nel (2 Active Points) 11-
1 4) KS: SGC Operations (2 Active Points) 11-
Skills Cost: 33

Cost Perk
4 Fringe Benefit: SG-1 Team Member
2 Contact: Bra'tac 11-
Perks Cost: 6

Total Character Cost: 150

Val Disadvantages
20 Sholl'vah - Hunted: Goa'uld System Lord 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
5 DF: Military Uniform (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Virtually Everyone)
10 Distinctive Features: Jaffa Tatoo (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Psych. Lim.: Honourable (Common, Strong)
15 Dependence: Goa'uld Larva Takes 1d6 Damage (Uncommon, 1 Hour)
10 DNPC: Rya'c 8- (Normal)

Disadvantage Points: 75

Base Points: 75

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

I'm not skilled with Hero :stupid: , but that looks pretty good to me. One question I have: Is his Tactics skill perhaps a bit low? Teal'c was a first prime, and I'd think he'd have a pretty good command of tactics.

Then again, the Jaffa seem about as tactically sophisticated as the Russian Army of World War One. :nonp::eek:

A note about the SG-1 teams--the 9 years experience versions should have a tad bit of presence defense. They've about seen it all. Plus O'Neil seems to have developed mocking the System Lords to a fine art--a few choice words, and they can't see straight, especially through yet another SG-1 bluff.

And maybe some good reputation among a small group--ie, Tokrah, various planets they have visited.

I'm not sure how you would do this in HERO, but Jack (and a few other Humans) have the DNA that Ancients technology will respond to and allow them to at least partially operate it.

A note about the SG-1 teams--the 9 years experience versions should have a tad bit of presence defense. They've about seen it all. Plus O'Neil seems to have developed mocking the System Lords to a fine art--a few choice words, and they can't see straight, especially through yet another SG-1 bluff.

System Lord Ba'al: "You dare mock me?"

O'Neill: "Ba'al, buddy, you should know...OF COURSE I dare mock you."

And let's not forget--this is the System Lord who tortured Jack to death (and revived him in a sarcophagus) several times a couple of years ago....

And maybe some good reputation among a small group--ie, Tokrah, various planets they have visited.

I'm not sure how you would do this in HERO, but Jack (and a few other Humans) have the DNA that Ancients technology will respond to and allow them to at least partially operate it.

This came up with some of the earlier characters, it was difficult with a 150pt character to try and fit it all in.

I'm thinking of doing 350pt versions which will be season 9 characters.

As for the Ancient Gene, I did it as a Perk on Jack's write-up.

Cheers

Shem

I'm not skilled with Hero :stupid: , but that looks pretty good to me. One question I have: Is his Tactics skill perhaps a bit low? Teal'c was a first prime, and I'd think he'd have a pretty good command of tactics.

Then again, the Jaffa seem about as tactically sophisticated as the Russian Army of World War One. :nonp::eek:

150 pts was getting very tight so a lot of the skills are basic level. With a higher point version it is something I would look to increase.

Cheers

Shem

Depending on how cinematic you want to be..the Jaffa should have the limitaton "must always march and make make loud metal stomping sounds whenever possible, even if on very small groups." Negative skill levels to stealth? Bonus to Per Rolls?

Of course, Master Bretac (sp?) seems like he has some tactical knowledge, and then a knowledge of typical Jaffa tactics, which, from the performance of Jaffa, might be two seperate skills.

I think the Jaffa are somethign like the evil warriors in Erik the Viking--they are so used to everyone being afraid, it messes with them a bit when people actually fight them. Their staff weapons weren't desgned to be efficient, but scary, much like their armor.

Depending on how cinematic you want to be..the Jaffa should have the limitaton "must always march and make make loud metal stomping sounds whenever possible, even if on very small groups." Negative skill levels to stealth? Bonus to Per Rolls?

Of course, Master Bretac (sp?) seems like he has some tactical knowledge, and then a knowledge of typical Jaffa tactics, which, from the performance of Jaffa, might be two seperate skills.

I think the Jaffa are somethign like the evil warriors in Erik the Viking--they are so used to everyone being afraid, it messes with them a bit when people actually fight them. Their staff weapons weren't desgned to be efficient, but scary, much like their armor.

Yeah, the Jaffa troops are pretty Stormtrooperesque!

I agree that they are used to primitive races and as such have no real experience in Modern Earth (Tau'ri) Combat.

I also agree with the type of weapons used, the majority of Earth weapons are designed to be as efficient at killing as possible, terror is less important.

If the Jaffa were interested in killing as efficiently, I'm sure that Goa'uld tech would allow staff weapons to have a faster rate of fire.

Though if the Jaffa killed more people then their Gods would have less slaves to work in the mines, etc.

Shem

If the Jaffa were interested in killing as efficiently' date=' I'm sure that Goa'uld tech would allow staff weapons to have a faster rate of fire.[/quote']

They'd also add some sort of targetting device to those staff weapons. The Jaffa are about as accurate as Stormtroopers. :nonp:

They'd also add some sort of targetting device to those staff weapons. The Jaffa are about as accurate as Stormtroopers. :nonp:

One of the things I like about the Stargate series is that they think about such things and made this one explicit. There's a scene of Col. O'Neill addressing a bunch of rebel Jaffa. He told them that the staff weapon is a weapon of terror, and had Teal'c fire it at a hanging log target. Zap. pause. Zap.

Then he showed them an MP-5 (or something of the kind), saying, "This is a weapon of war. It is intended to KILL them ENEMY." And then he blazed away at the target, and chewed it to hell. That is why the Tauri use them.

One of the things I like about the Stargate series is that they think about such things and made this one explicit. There's a scene of Col. O'Neill addressing a bunch of rebel Jaffa. He told them that the staff weapon is a weapon of terror, and had Teal'c fire it at a hanging log target. Zap. pause. Zap.

Then he showed them an MP-5 (or something of the kind), saying, "This is a weapon of war. It is intended to KILL them ENEMY." And then he blazed away at the target, and chewed it to hell. That is why the Tauri use them.

Heh, I had that scene in mind when I was writing this, I really love the universe created in Stargate, it is very well crafted, with many factions and groups doing their own thing.

Shem

One of the things I like about the Stargate series is that they think about such things and made this one explicit.

That's something I appreciate about the show, too. They're careful to make the universe "hang together," and they don't forget what's happened in the show's "past." :thumbup:

Yeah, the Jaffa troops are pretty Stormtrooperesque!

I agree that they are used to primitive races and as such have no real experience in Modern Earth (Tau'ri) Combat.

I also agree with the type of weapons used, the majority of Earth weapons are designed to be as efficient at killing as possible, terror is less important.

If the Jaffa were interested in killing as efficiently, I'm sure that Goa'uld tech would allow staff weapons to have a faster rate of fire.

Though if the Jaffa killed more people then their Gods would have less slaves to work in the mines, etc.

Shem

Personally, I get a little disappointed by 'Jaffa shocktroopers' all the time. When we see rebel Jaffa, we see them practicing all kinds of cool martial arts. We see Tealc and Bratac - badass warriors. We see enemy Jaffa? They're cannon fodder. :) So whatever happened to the 80-year-old-badass Jaffa in the service of the system lords?

Maybe they're just too smart to face the heroes.

Stargate's a good series, but it still has certain 'disconnects' like this one. Ah well. :) In a game, that's easier to handle... can even have different Jaffa wear slightly different uniforms - those with 80 years of service may have more intricate designs, or something. So PCs know when they're up against the harsher bad dudes.

So whatever happened to the 80-year-old-badass Jaffa in the service of the system lords?
At that level of training and discipline and most importantly, intelligence which comes with age, such a Jaffa would be a threat. They might start thinking they can take on God himself, which if you are system lord, is not a good thing to deal with. So as system lord, you send him on more and more difficult missions, against greater and greater odds, until he dies in your service. Instead of a potential rebel, you have a martyr to your service.

If he fails and survives, you kill him. If he fails and dies, you use his death as an example to your troops to keep them fighting for you. If he succeeds and lives, you send him out again and again until he does not come back. I guess Apophis got sloppy, which naturally comes with arrogance.

At that level of training and discipline and most importantly, intelligence which comes with age, such a Jaffa would be a threat. They might start thinking they can take on God himself, which if you are system lord, is not a good thing to deal with. So as system lord, you send him on more and more difficult missions, against greater and greater odds, until he dies in your service. Instead of a potential rebel, you have a martyr to your service.

If he fails and survives, you kill him. If he fails and dies, you use his death as an example to your troops to keep them fighting for you. If he succeeds and lives, you send him out again and again until he does not come back. I guess Apophis got sloppy, which naturally comes with arrogance.

Is this not what happened to teal'c's father?

I might be making that up as it isn't exactly an uncommon plot idea in fiction, but I have in my head that Teal'c's father was essentially sent to his death by a system lord on a fool's errand. And in revenge Teal'c trained to be the prime of that system lords rival, Apohisis.

Can anyone verify my sanity? :)

Shem