Non-"adventuring" Metahumans

transmetahuman

Re: Non-"adventuring" Metahumans

*Dons his devil's advocate hat*

All righty, Mr Smarty-SS-Guys-Are-Expensive-Pants. Put your SS Agents where your mouth is. Post your typical SS agent.

I'm thinking that 75+75 is right proper amount. Consider also, that your average SS agent is that much more trained than some of the high-end FBI agents, cops or military officers (where they actually recruit a number of their people). One of the great benefits of any single SS agent is the other 100 SS agents he/she can call upon in need. They also have a HUGE infrastructure backing them. But they don't need to pay for any that.

Actually, thats almost exactly what I was figuring, myself. About 150 points for the typical one, sans equipment.

I should point out here that at least in the default CU, the most basic of VIPER agents costs 178 points. Anyone with the degree of training required to be a Secret Service field officer should probably fall at least within that range. So, I'd say sans gear, 130+ points would be minimum, and 150 would be a good ballpark figure.

Obviously different individuals will do things differently, but having read about the sorts of training Secret Service personnel undergo, I have a hard time believing they'd be less competent than the lowest VIPER spudge.

I should point out here that at least in the default CU, the most basic of VIPER agents costs 178 points. Anyone with the degree of training required to be a Secret Service field officer should probably fall at least within that range. So, I'd say sans gear, 130+ points would be minimum, and 150 would be a good ballpark figure.

Obviously different individuals will do things differently, but having read about the sorts of training Secret Service personnel undergo, I have a hard time believing they'd be less competent than the lowest VIPER spudge.

Agreed, but the default Champions U is a very cinematic campaign. In a more "realistic" campaign (say a heroic modern day campaign) SS and other normal agents will likely clock in at less. The scale is different. 150 is a Hero, or the basic action movie main character more or less. Every single SS agent in a campaign based on that level shouldn't be the equivelant of a major character.

1) My games are not set in the cannon CU, as I find it to be a silly place. This does not mean that I object to those that do set their games in the CU.

2) I do not charge for equipment, which that Viper spludge is paying for.

3) I've been directly involved in teaching and training police officers in two countries, though admittedly I've only been teaching them languages. Still, I have a fair idea of the shape that they're in, the skills they have and the training they go through. More importantly, I've seen how little they retain. I assume that my Secret Service Agents are exceptional, but 75 points is still enough to cover the skills and abilities they have that are significant in game.

Here's a non adventuring Metahuman from my New Universe game.

Catherine Young

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

8 STR -2 11- Lift 75.8kg; 1 1/2d6 HTH damage

10 DEX 0 11- OCV: 3/DCV: 3

12 CON 4 11-

8 BODY -4 11-

10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 11-

15 EGO 10 12- ECV: 5

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

16 COM 3 12-

2 PD 0 Total: 2 PD (0 rPD)

2 ED 0 Total: 2 ED (0 rED)

2 SPD 0 Phases: 6, 12

4 REC 0

24 END 0

20 STUN 2 Total Characteristics Cost: 18

Movement: Run: 6"/NC"

Swim: 2"/NC"

Cost Powers END

12 "Though I walk threw shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil" : +25 PRE (25 Active Points); Defensive Only Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1)

5 She who believes in me, shall never die: Life Support , Longevity: Immortal

15 The Lord moves in mysterious ways: Luck 3d6

175 "His will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven" : Variable Power Pool (Miracle Pool), 100 base + 75 control cost, Must pray and request a miracle Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (+0), No Skill Roll Required (+1), Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1) (250 Active Points); Character Has No Choice Regarding When Or How Powers Change (-1)

Skills

5 Persuasion 13-

5 Seduction 13-

6 KS: Religion and Theology 15-

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 223

Total Cost: 241

100+ Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: Covered in religous "tattoos" (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20 Psychological Limitation: Extremely devout Christian (Common; Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Code against Killing (Common; Strong)

Total Disadvantage Points: 241

Background: Catherine Young was born again on the runway of a seedy strip club in Austin, Texas, baptized in the pure light of the White Event. In that instant, she saw her life replayed but the from the view point of God. And she felt ashamed. She’d squandered her life for cheap thrills, money and base lust. She’d turned her back on everything her parents had tried to instill “Honor they father and thy mother†indeed. But she has been forgiven, her sins washed away in pure white light, but she must perform her penance. She is a messenger, a living vessel of the Lord’s power to carry his message and will to the faithful. She will advise but never order. Free Will was God’s gift to Humanity and must not be compromised, even if evil will prevail. Cassandra no longer has a home, wandering where God commands her to go. She has no job and no money. God provides.

Powers/Tactics: Catherine doesn’t have any powers. She has faith. God will answers anyone prayers. He just tends to answer hers in a more direct fashion. Her faith makes her practically fearless and though, she does not know it, she has been blessed with an immortal imperishable body. She must pray for a miracle and has absolutely no control of how or even if anything will manifest.

Agreed' date=' but the default Champions U is a very cinematic campaign. In a more "realistic" campaign (say a heroic modern day campaign) SS and other normal agents will likely clock in at less. The scale is different. 150 is a Hero, or the basic action movie main character more or less. Every single SS agent in a campaign based on that level shouldn't be the equivelant of a major character.[/quote']

Not major character, beginning character.

And why, pray tell me, shouldn't some of the most elite agents on the planet be equal to beginning level heroic characters??

Not major character, beginning character.

And why, pray tell me, shouldn't some of the most elite agents on the planet be equal to beginning level heroic characters??

Standard Hero, not amateur, not beginner, not Jobber. Hero are supposed to be "stars", the big names. Just because that is where they start, doesn't require that be the basement level of development for the campaign. Many write ups for actual action movie characters rank in at less 150 points and compared to the SS agents are supposed to be "mooks". And, as I said, 75 or so points seems about right for a borderline "realistic" setting, in a more cinemetic setting or one based on Secret Service Agents, they'd probably be (and should be, IMO) based on more points. I think there is a sliding scale. You do not. Lets just call it a difference of opinion or is there some major issue hanging in the balance here?

Edit: though to answer your question, I think the difference in opinion stems from the idea I see whatever the PCs start at defining the average, the typical "hero" of the campaign setting not the bottom tier. 150 Heroes, in most settings as I see it are major characters, respected in their fields and noteworthy. To use D and D terminology, I think of starting PC level characters are "mid level" rather than first and the majority of the world is lower level than them, with many equal and some superior. Most "mass produced" types such as agents will be in the lower than them ranks, with some exceptions. I've found it makes for an enjoyable cinematic playstyle. YMMV.

As far as the Secret Service Agent question. I'll go with it depends too. It really depends how in-depth you will be with the Agent character. A SS agent could have skills up the wazoo. But, if your typical one will only be a one-shot deal, it might not be necessary to give him things such as a second language or a a few extra point in sciences or what have you.

P.S. 235 is good for this. (for those who don't know it's about an elementary school for Meta-prodigies (the next generation of Meta-humans who have developed powers before they hit adolecence). Their is a 'Rain-maker program' for those whose powers are not 'combat worthy' to find niches for them in society.

Of the ones I can remember there is a child who can control the position and proportion of body-fat in others (a super plastic surgeon if you will), a boy who can turn rocks into nutritious food of any flavour he wants (although they still look like rocks) and the latest incarnation of the goddess Hestia who can control the fertility of plants and animals and hands out advice on finding the perfect mate.

These are 'non-combat worthy' metahumans. There are also 'combat worthy's who have no intention of taking up the 'family business' like Captain Claranet who has the powers of the world's Superman but only wants to be a musician.

Also the staff are all full-time teachers despite being former 'crime fighting' supers (and at least one of them thinks his former life was safer and less stressful).

Personally I like the idea that not all (or even most) metahumans feel the need to take up either crime or crime fighting.

It's a good series. I was especially impressed by the writing in the issue where one of the students "borrows" the daughter of the first metahuman hero in their universe from the past to get information for a school report. It touches upon some very good points.

Oh, and they have a supervillian-to-be who's had a chip implanted that replaces any attempt to curse with other, non-offensive words. When he really lets loose, it tends to be transformed into showtunes.

Anaxphone, and it's PS 238, BTW

Guest Worldmaker

The GGU has "little league" metahumans all over the place. Most of them are entertainers of some sort of another. Others are just local "celebrities" whose "superness" got noticed by the Peoria Herald or something and was featured in a puff piece, everyday joes whose powers don't figure into their lives because the powers just aren't that useful, or the lucky few whose powers actually make their everyday jobs easier (I stole the idea of a "human forklift" from Wild Cards, for example).

I think my favorite minor metahuman is Mister Easter, a homeless guy in New York City and one of the "local celebs" I mentioned. He can be seen wandering the streets of New York, wearing a sandwich board covered in the usual arch-conservative Christian messages one sees a street preacher espousing.

His power is that if he dies for any reason (and it happens occasionally... happens a lot during winter...) he always wakes up three days later. The coroner's office has a standing "do not autopsy" order regarding him.

There's plenty of metahumans who don't adventure, though I can't think of any in truly salient roles. There's a villain, Bud Girl, who has settled down into a nice career as a TV anchor; she excretes a pheremone that makes people incredibly attracted to her. I've highlighted a few of these mutants in legal discrimination cases, as one of the PCs is a lawyer. Of those, one character had a brief taste of adventuring and will never go back to it as he was taken prisoner although immediately rescued, so wasn't harmed. But that was plenty to convince him never again.

Regarding the Secret Service, as a matter of discussion I'll point out that Steve pegs their Package at 43 points. If we assume they are, at least, "Noteworthy Normals" to start with, then the "lower-level" agent clocks in at around 68 points; rather close to Oddhat's 75-point level.

In my games, I include the starting level of the PCs into the mix when working up the campaign premise. If I want the PCs to start at the bottom, then most of their foes will have around the same number of points. I think point inflation runs rampant in some games; if that's how they like it, fine, but I think it cheapens the value of characteristics in my game when almost everybody has a 13 STR. Heck, the PCs in my FH game are getting ready to fight off six packs of ghouls from within a besieged fortified inn, and they're arming the townsfolk. I'm considering how many of them are even going to be at the lofty "Noteworthy Normal" status; those farmers don't adventure for a good reason...

The Giving Tree - Her superpower was a strange radial regeneration. She kinda looks like a tree with several limbs and developing "fruit" which are actually redundant organs. She has become a living donor and has donated several limbs and organs for transplantation, but some fear that she will eventually donate too much. (Idea based on a children book of the same name) Regeneration, Extra Limbs, 360 Senses (All), Transform: Create Organs, LS: Doesn't need food, just sunlight and water, Physical Limitation: Large and Tree-like

Devil's Adovate - Brought out of a coma as part of a demonic pact. He eventually became a defense atterney for "supervillians". "Objection! My client has never use violence except to lawfully defend himself and his property. Which, I may add, the heroes were CLEARLY trespassing on to destroy this alleged 'death ray' which had legimate non-lethal uses which he received the proper permits for to build and operate."

Elf Explanatory - Their music is simply enchanting, but not enough to be heroes or villians.

The Giving Tree - Her superpower was a strange radial regeneration. She kinda looks like a tree with several limbs and developing "fruit" which are actually redundant organs. She has become a living donor and has donated several limbs and organs for transplantation, but some fear that she will eventually donate too much. (Idea based on a children book of the same name) Regeneration, Extra Limbs, 360 Senses (All), Transform: Create Organs, LS: Doesn't need food, just sunlight and water, Physical Limitation: Large and Tree-like

Devil's Adovate - Brought out of a coma as part of a demonic pact. He eventually became a defense atterney for "supervillians". "Objection! My client has never use violence except to lawfully defend himself and his property. Which, I may add, the heroes were CLEARLY trespassing on to destroy this alleged 'death ray' which had legimate non-lethal uses which he received the proper permits for to build and operate."

Elf Explanatory - Their music is simply enchanting, but not enough to be heroes or villians.

Does the Giving Tree donate voluntarily? I assume so, but I was curious.