CU Supers - The Liberator

Jorik

I don't want to start a political discussion

I'll say it again:

I DON'T WANT TO START A POLITICAL DISCUSSION!

BUT,

I was going through the CU Supers downlaodable pdf and came across a Palestinian super-hero called the Liberator.

What the f@%^ with the Palestinian super-hero Liberator?!

Liberating from what exactly? The Israeli opression?!

This strikes me as VERY odd, not to say somewhat prejudiced.

Where is the Israeli super-hero? Palestine has never been declared a country you know.

Thank god I'm not very political and not offended by such triflings, but someone should set it straight.

Not trying to be political either, but it helps to look at this from the perspective of the Palestinian people. Many of them do consider themselves to be oppressed by Israel; whether you agree with that perception or not doesn't change the fact that it exists. And many Palestinians consider fighting against that perceived oppression to be a noble, if not holy cause. From that perspective, it would be entirely appropriate for a Palestinian fighting the Israelis to call himself the Liberator, and for him to be considered a hero by many Palestinians. Indeed, in many of his attitudes he may actually conform to more common Western ideals of heroism, but believe himself to be fighting in a war of liberation.

I don't think I would read too much into "The Liberator." A superhero from Palestine, whatever his politcal convictions, would consider himself to be the good guy. His choice of name might reflect his own political beliefs , but not necessarily those of the person who created the character. So Liberator could have very skewed, radical politics and still be a good, heroic person. (Y'know, like Trebuchet. :D)

[LL said most of this a whole lot better while I was typing.]

All IMHO of course. For all I know, whoever wrote that pdf had a political agenda, but that idea doesn't mix very well with everything else I know about Hero and DOJ.

Originally posted by Uncle Shecky

All IMHO of course. For all I know, whoever wrote that pdf had a political agenda, but that idea doesn't mix very well with everything else I know about Hero and DOJ.

Well, I wrote the pdf, but I was just taking the names of the superheroes supplied in Champions Universe and putting them into an easy to understand chart. For anyone who wishes to see the "official" mention of the Liberator, check out page 73 of Champions Universe.

I don't have the Champions book.

No matter. Just wondered why there wasn't an Israeli super-hero, say Suicide-Bombs Dodjer or something. A bunch of my Israeli friends wanted to boycot HERO because of it -- they are all real touchy about subjects like this here, and most of them think rightly so (because of all the anti-semitism in the world and such).

If it would make any difference to them, you can tell your friends that Champions Universe specifically mentions that Israel has a dozen superheroes working for the government, all quite popular with the Israeli people (CU p. 47). The book doesn't get around to naming them, though. IMHO the Liberator being named when the Israeli supers weren't is just a fluke, without any political intent behind it.

Israel has a corp of official superhumans (once again mentioned on page 73 and 47) but no names were given, and thus they were not included in the pdf.

Not every superhero in the game world is named as of yet. China's Tiger Squad, for example, has over 50 members and yet only a few were named in the book.

I am sure that at some point in time when Champions Worldwide (or a similar named book gets published) you will see far more information on the various superheroes from around the world. A great deal of the information is left vague though, so that the players themselves can fill in the gaps. It would be very easy for you and your friends to create some israeli superheroes to add to your game.

When Steve gets back from his sister's wedding I'll be happy to email him and ask him what the names of the 12 Israeli superhero are. When he tells me, if he even knows himself, I'll include them on the pdf and send it off to Ben to post. Personally, I do not think Steve has given it any thought at all. There are too many Millennium City/Vibora Bay/Hudson City issues for him to think about first.

I would suggest you and your friends actually spend some time reading the published information before making rash judgements based off of a simple, incomplete list of superhero names though.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

If it would make any difference to them, you can tell your friends that Champions Universe specifically mentions that Israel has a dozen superheroes working for the government, all quite popular with the Israeli people (CU p. 47). The book doesn't get around to naming them, though. IMHO the Liberator being named when the Israeli supers weren't is just a fluke, without any political intent behind it.

I wouldn't call it a fluke. I'd just call it a simple product of one individual being easier to identify by name than a list of twelve.

Well, obviously, we didn't make a judjement at all since I'm still posting here. We just started with HERO, are loving it, and were curious. That's all.

That's why I turned the question to you guys. And you came through. 12 Israeli super-heros you say - that's comforting.

Of course, since I don't have the book, you can all just be conning me so I wouldn't blow the cover of your anti-semitic scheme. Just kidding just kidding :P

Thanks a lot for the answers. And for all the trouble.

Roy.

Originally posted by Jorik

Well, obviously, we didn't make a judjement at all since I'm still posting here. We just started with HERO, are loving it, and were curious. That's all.

"A bunch of my Israeli friends wanted to boycot HERO because of it" -- you've got to admit, this sounds a bit like "making a judgment."

On the other hand, if you say that's not the case, that's fine! :) Welcome to the community of HEROphiles! :D

D-Man to the rescue?

On another thread regarding Ethnic heroes, D-Man had some ideas that might serve while we wait for official word. Heck, Steve might even want to use them himself.

Originally posted by D-Man

However, here are a few possibilities:

Mesada ("fortress") a good brick name with history

Baal Milchamah ("battle master" or "war master")

Mystery Meidl (humor can be good)

Din (judgement, generally stringent in context)

Merkava (chariot, but also the israeli tank)

Shimshon (Sampson - big warrior)

Sheid-Adom (Red Devil or Red Demon)

Magen (shield) - star of david throwing stars? An israeli cap?

Tzevakot (host, as in heavenly host, or military horde)

Uzi

Ha'Sayif (The Sword)

The Keruvim (fiery angels) as a team name - has a lot of kabbalistic significance, or Keruv (for a fire guy)

And lets not forget the ultimate JEWISH brick - Kal-El. His Hebrew... er, alien... name means all powerful in, yep, Hebrew.