Animated Series Style Character Images

etherio

Re: Animated Series Style Character Images

The only problem with that approach for me is that throwing a baseball and clicking a mouse are about the only two things I do right handed. I've tried using a mouse to draw in the past and I just can't manage the necessary level of control.

Ah...I see. I learned several years ago from a good friend how much it can suck at times to be a south-paw. My buddy Chey used to pull me aside and ask me to do careful scissors work for him. I had never realized before that point just how many things we use regularly that are not ambidextrously designed.

I've done tons of DCU animated style stuff by hand' date=' but I've never been able to duplicate and color it properly via PC.[/quote']

Have any scanned? Mind posting some?

Okay' date=' that is one of the most intriguing character descriptions I've ever heard. Care to share?[/quote']

I liked the names also...please do share.

Jeez...every time I see that Seeker pic I made it looks goofier. I was pretty happy with how the weapon props came out on that one' date=' though.[/quote']

I'm not usually too big on the "animated" pics. I much prefer a more "realistic" look (George Perez, Neal Adams, Phil Jiminez). Like the look that your pics have in your campaign pics thread. However, your animated Seeker looks great. If he guest-starred on JLU that's exactly what he'd look like.

The only problem with that approach for me is that throwing a baseball and clicking a mouse are about the only two things I do right handed. I've tried using a mouse to draw in the past and I just can't manage the necessary level of control.

Ah...I see. I learned several years ago from a good friend how much it can suck at times to be a south-paw. My buddy Chey used to pull me aside and ask me to do careful scissors work for him. I had never realized before that point just how many things we use regularly that are not ambidextrously designed.

The best purchase I ever made was a graphics tablet. It's a Wacom Graphire3 4"X5". It's USB, comes with a pen and a full size mouse. I paid $99 plus tax a couple of years ago. I've seen them on-line from $75 to $99. If you want to actually "draw" on your computer (and have a real mouse, if you have a notebook) it's well worth the investment.

The best purchase I ever made was a graphics tablet. It's a Wacom Graphire3 4"X5". It's USB' date=' comes with a pen and a full size mouse. I paid $99 plus tax a couple of years ago. I've seen them on-line from $75 to $99. If you want to actually "draw" on your computer (and have a real mouse, if you have a notebook) it's well worth the investment.[/quote']

I got one of those exact gadgets for Christmas last year. The pen was a little frustrating to use the first time I tried, so I put it in the "I'll get around to that when I have the time" category...which means it's ended up collecting dust. I'm going to give it a shot again. My buddy paid a pretty penny for it apparently, so I'd be a jerk not to use it.

Guest bblackmoor

Circe' date=' not entirely sure of the exact powers as of yet -- either mind control or transforms/shapechange.[/quote']

Good one. I like the transparency. What procedure do you use to create the image?

I use illustrator, I trace out the templates, then make additions, subtractions and whatever else I want. Most often I change faces, sometimes poses as well. I do all the coloring and whatnot in illustrator as well, including shadows (black shapes which are transparent).

I tried using the img tags to make the image appear in the message window and it did not work... apparently the method I once used to make the images appear is either defunct now or I have not remembered it properly. Do'H!

Guest bblackmoor

I use illustrator' date=' I trace out the templates, then make additions, subtractions and whatever else I want.[/quote']

Illustrator? That's perfect. The reason I ask is that one of my longer-term pet projects is an open source "costume shop" program, but I need some help from someone with some artistic ability to create the bits and pieces in a vector drawing program.

Would you be interested in collaborating? If so, email me, and we can talk about the design of the program.

Here is something that is not exactly in this sytle, but at least very close (I certainly learned most of what I put to work on this one using the templates and whatnot, although it is not based on an animated style template at all). I have not done the rest of the body yet...

I got one of those exact gadgets for Christmas last year. The pen was a little frustrating to use the first time I tried' date=' so I put it in the "I'll get around to that when I have the time" category...which means it's ended up collecting dust. I'm going to give it a shot again. My buddy paid a pretty penny for it apparently, so I'd be a jerk not to use it.[/quote']

You're right about the pen. It took me a while to get used to the feel, but it's so much easier to use for drawing than a mouse or a notebook touchpad.

As I have recently been granted a reprieve from my hellish schedule I had a chance to whip this fellow up today. He is another figure I have not made stats for yet, I'm thinking he might be a hero of some sort, maybe an energy projector or speedster who uses gadgets (speed boosting? eh I dunno yet). Right now I am playing with the color scheme.

No comment on Amerigal?

Guest bblackmoor

As I have recently been granted a reprieve from my hellish schedule I had a chance to whip this fellow up today.

I dig the varying color schemes.

I assume that his secret id is Roy G. Biv? :)

- Bill

Any resemblance that the 'Prismatic Pirate' has to characters from the Flash's rogues gallery is purely coincidence.

...plus, I don't know what you're talking about.

heh.

Nice work etherio' date=' your stuff is very clean and has a great flair. I love the stuff that Prometheus does as well, especially the Pulp stuff. I used to track it on another board that was dedicated to this style.[/quote']

Thanks, Publius. I agree about Prometheus' pulp stuff. I dig that genre, but my players unfortunately do not.

Thanks Etherio, that minimalist look was what I was going for. The minimalist you are thinking of is probably Nagel. I actually have a number of his works, the man had a really great clean line.

I did an animated style drawing for Trebuchet's Zl'f character, the final version as follows...

Any resemblance that the 'Prismatic Pirate' has to characters from the Flash's rogues gallery is purely coincidence.

...plus, I don't know what you're talking about.

heh.

Roy G. Biv is a mnemonic for Red, Green, Blue (i.e. the order of the colors in the spectrum)

MANCER

Aware of that. I assumed that the "Roy G. Biv" remark was a reference to the Rainbow Raider' date=' a Silver-Age Flash villain.[/quote']

Actualy, it wasn't, since I have no idea who Rainbow Raider was. It was closer to a reference to a Beakman's World character. Bada-bing, bada-boom. But it was mainly just a reference to his color scheme :)

- Bill