Animated Series Style Character Images

etherio

I've been toying with the idea of running a Golden-Age or Late-Pulp-Era campaign again and making it exclusively done in the style of the Batman and JLA animated series. Like many of you, I love that style. It really invokes the spirit of that era and the old Max Fleischer Superman serials.

What I'd love to get going here is a showcase for all the images we've generated in that style. Conversions of existing industry characters are welcome, of course, and please do post them, but there are fanboy sites out there where one can find them. I'd like to see some of your original characters and your Animated Series takes on Champions Universe characters.

I'll post one of mine...bear with me, because this is my first attempt. This is from my regular supers campaign posted on this thread. This particular character's "real" image is posted here.

Re: Animated Series Style Character Images

I posted a number of these on the DCU Animated website a while back, but that site has been under reconstruction for some time. My original intent was to design some Cardboard Heroes for Thrilling True Tales!!!, the Pulp Hero game I play in, but I got enough of a response from people that I started creating characters to fill in the GM's world.

Here is my own character, Johnny Danger, BTAS style.

I haven't done anything in that style in a long time and most have already been posted in the Superhero Images Thread, so it wouldn't be fair to take up the server space twice for the same thing. But since I'm killing time here right now, here's some links to the ones I did. I'm sure I missed a few.

Anthem

Slave

Gossamyr

Dr. Meridian

Gabriel

Audra Blue

Aces High

Berserker

Fury

Uncle Slam

Bedelia

Thanks for posting and sharing, Blue...keep 'em coming.

Prometheus...love that Johnny Danger pic...you have a real knack for this. Mind posting some more?

Thanks, I wouldn't at all mind tossing a few more into the mix.

The Great White Ape of Empire City, Kerzak:

I do all my character art in the animated style. I have a Yahoo Group for my campaign which has most of my stuff posted:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/heroicchicago/

Please feel free to join if your so inclined. Here's one I did over a Bruce Timm original of the Justice League, featuring some characters of the campaign.

Here's the Golden Age hero 'Patriot' from my campaign...his non-BTAS style pic is posted here.

By the way, I totally cannot draw. That's one of the things that makes this stuff so attractive as a GM...simple to make, but cool nonetheless.

Nice pic' date=' Trebuchet...have any more you can share?[/quote']Regrettably, not of other characters.

I do have this image of Zl'f's "evolution" from two Bruce Timm drawings. This took a lot of work in Paint Shop Pro and as you can see, I'm not much of an artist. Someday I'd like to get Storn to do a good picture of her.

By the way' date=' I totally [u']cannot[/u] draw. That's one of the things that makes this stuff so attractive as a GM...simple to make, but cool nonetheless.

I haven't had any luck finding these templates... or maybe there aren't any templates at all. Anyone care to share some of their experience in this? I love this style and would really enjoy playing around with it. Are you all just modifying existing images?

Robb

Hey Treb, don't you have the one that I did for Zl'f?

I use the templates as well, but I make a lot of changes to them, often using the template simply as a base and then making extensive modifications for clothing, hair and form. I never really had an eye for proportions, so the templates help me a lot there. I use Illustrator, trace everything out, then work with them, including clor/shading etc. When I get home, I'll put some of my newer stuff.

I haven't had any luck finding these templates... or maybe there aren't any templates at all. Anyone care to share some of their experience in this? I love this style and would really enjoy playing around with it. Are you all just modifying existing images?

Robb

I am modifying existing images...adding details when necessary...compositing and playing around with them. I got a lot of templates from the DCU site, but it's been down for a while. Try a Google search for words like 'BTAS,' 'fan art,' 'image,' 'template,' etc. You should hit something.

I am modifying existing images...adding details when necessary...compositing and playing around with them. I got a lot of templates from the DCU site' date=' but it's been down for a while. Try a Google search for words like 'BTAS,' 'fan art,' 'image,' 'template,' etc. You should hit something.[/quote']

The DCUA site index page is down, and the site is not yet officially open for business. However, there is a page with a bunch of galleries, located here. There is also a page of templates.

Does anyone have good tips on making these images? I've tried doing it with the Gimp (a free-as-in-beer and free-as-in-speech image processing program), but I have trouble. The program's fine, I'm just very iffy with it, especially in controlling the mouse. Do y'all use a tablet? Or just careful mouse work?

- Bill

Does anyone have good tips on making these images? I've tried doing it with the Gimp (a free-as-in-beer and free-as-in-speech image processing program)' date=' but I have trouble. The program's fine, I'm just very iffy with it, especially in controlling the mouse. Do y'all use a tablet? Or just careful mouse work?[/quote']

I use a little-bit outdated version of Photoshop. The layers function is ideal for this kind of image compositing. I work with a mouse, but the tools in PS make it easy. Anyone know of a less expensive art program with layer capability?

Anyone know of a less expensive art program with layer capability?

Try the Gimp (http://www.gimp.org). It is free, and works well. It supports layers, blending of layers, import of photoshop files, etc., etc. It's really quite impressive. I think most of my problems using it stem from the fact that it is the first sophisticated image-processing program I've used.

- Bill

Thanks for posting the link' date=' Winterhawk, but I had some trouble navigating to the pics. Could you post any directly on the thread?[/quote']

Okay, here's a few favorites. First some good guys (L to R): Bigfoot, my version of the Beast; The Silver Age Hero Blue Marvel; Dr. Equinox and Professor Fog, a WW: Mage transplant to the campaign.