Ye Ole Wheel of Time MAGIC SYSTEM

Eosin

Re: Ye Ole Wheel of Time MAGIC SYSTEM

These are constructs for an AVERAGE Aes Sedai - this allows them to Shield at an Average Level as noted above. Channelers have very little limitations - as a general rule there are no components, incantations, gestures, or concentration - many of the common limiters.

One Power: Multipower, 105-point reserve, (105 Active Points); all slots Requires A The One Power Roll (-1/2), (Weaves Only -1/4)

REAL POINTS: 60

The One Power: Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 105 base + 30 control cost, (157 Active Points); Requires An One Power Roll (-1/2), (Weaves Only -1/4)

REAL POINTS: 135

The kicker for my decision is that your pool has to accomadate the highest active point power that is common - like Shielding but there are plenty of oother weaves that are nearly as costly, if not more so.

A way around this would be to put a 5 divisor on the One Power - making the MPP 12 points for an average Channeler and the VPP cost 27 real points to the player.

I guess it is prudent to spell out that I am building the construct for what I consider to be the Average FH game which is a 150 point game (base + disads). Already the VPP is priced out of range for a beginning character but the MPP with a /5 looks like it could be do-able. The real kicker would be figuring out how much to charage for Affinities and Talents, which could quickly escalate out of control.

I have some more tweaking but it will have to wait until tomorrow when I am off of work.

Thanks for the input. The system is still evolving in my head so making me consider other options is helpful.

My goals with this:

PRIMARY: Make it so that a mixed Fantasy Party is viable in a 150 point game. The Channeler should NOT make the rest of the party obsolete but should otherwise adhere to the magic system as described in the novels as closely as possible.

SECONDARY: Have the system be portable into other game settings with minimal fuss (That is - exclude as much specific setting stuff as possible).

The One Power: Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 105 base + 30 control cost, (157 Active Points); Requires An One Power Roll (-1/2), (Weaves Only -1/4)

REAL POINTS: 135

I hate to nitpick but... if a VPP can be re-alocated during combat then a skill roll is required as a default. Only if the VPP powers can only be changed out of combat is a skill roll not required. If you can shift your pool points during combat w/o a skill roll being required it is a +1 Advantage. So your control cost should actually be 42 points.

Interesting stuff though even if I'm not a big WoT fan. :thumbup:

105 active points seems pretty extreme for an 'average' aes sedai in a 150 point fantasy setting who is not supposed to make the rest of the characters either obsolete or turn them into supporting cast.

105 active =

7D6 Killing attack

21D6 Normal Attack

10D6 Entangle

21D6 Mind Control

21/21 Force Wall

14/14 Force Wall - Zero Endurance

105 active points seems pretty extreme for an 'average' aes sedai in a 150 point fantasy setting who is not supposed to make the rest of the characters either obsolete or turn them into supporting cast.

105 active =

7D6 Killing attack

21D6 Normal Attack

10D6 Entangle

21D6 Mind Control

21/21 Force Wall

14/14 Force Wall - Zero Endurance

I wish is was as simple as that - the problem is that your power framework MUST accomadate ALL of the common weaves of the Aes Sedai. Shielding - heck - weak shielding is gonna run you 105 Active Points. You obviously do not buy your attack powers up to the reserve maximum on your pool but if you want to simulate using the One Power then your reserve is gonna need to be huge. That is part of the reason why I elected to stay away from frameworks. All of that and we are only talking about an average Aes Sedai - people like the Wonder Girls & Rand/Logain/Mazrim are going to have massive reserves if you elect to go that way.

If you have FHG a perusal through it will also be fairly eye opening - lots of spells have huge costs for minimal effect. A quick glance at the most costly spe1l in each of the arcana comes in as follows:

Conj - 364 active points.

Divination - 40 AP

Druidry - 158 AP

Elementalism - 210 AP

Necromancy - 320 AP

Sorcery - 225 AP

This book is intended for 150 point characters. A 105 point reserve is pretty whimpy by that list.

If the main problem requiring immense pool size is sheilding (ie cutting someone off from the source) how about this :

Instead of buying the skill to manipulate the pool as a regular ol' skill, buy it as a special power (FRed p. 141), then allow people with One Power access to buy Suppress vs that special power. If they succeed in completely supressing the power (cutting the person off from the source) then that person will be unable to use his power pool, since the VPP is usable only by those with the One Power manipulation skill. To adjust how hard it is to suppress the pool manipulation special power (skill) you could buy it with some levels of difficult to dispell. If the person being suppressed is actively defending against it, meaning they are devoting some of their power pool to Power Defence, it could become quite difficult to shut them off. Best to take em by suprise.

If the main problem requiring immense pool size is sheilding (ie cutting someone off from the source) how about this :

Instead of buying the skill to manipulate the pool as a regular ol' skill, buy it as a special power (FRed p. 141), then allow people with One Power access to buy Suppress vs that special power. If they succeed in completely supressing the power (cutting the person off from the source) then that person will be unable to use his power pool, since the VPP is usable only by those with the One Power manipulation skill. To adjust how hard it is to suppress the pool manipulation special power (skill) you could buy it with some levels of difficult to dispell. If the person being suppressed is actively defending against it, meaning they are devoting some of their power pool to Power Defence, it could become quite difficult to shut them off. Best to take em by suprise.

As a side note remember that it took a group of Aes Sedai to still someone. That would be using ritual magic, which would be more powerful than what any individual could master...

Now I dont mean to argue with anyone but... it doesnt actually take a group of AS to still someone... There are numerous occurances throughout the series where a single individual stills a channeller or come close. However it *is* true to say that it is a *tradition* among Aes Sedai that a group of Aes Sedai participate in stilling someone. This is mostly because it is considered punishment for a crime (and a VERY severe punishment at that) in the case of a woman and a cultural act of necessity in the case of a man but stil a very serious action to take against another human being. It is a cultural guideline, nothing more.

You could make it compulsory that the END reserve used to power spells must have the limitation "can be stilled by a qualified Aes Sedai -1/2". And spells must use the reserve, not personal END.

Although it seems more like a vulnerability to me - to the supression of a stilling.

With the "can be skilled", some form of EGO contest would be good, rather than a straight out switching off.

Mind you - I haven't read the books for many years now, so may be guessing too much.

So what do folks think is the best way to simulate how Aes Sedai link to shield or cast other big weaves?

Also, has anyone put some thought into any other interesting weaves? I'd hate to see the discussion get bogged down on shielding (one of the more convoluted/difficult weave constructions, IMO).

Anyone got a link or two that provides a comprehensive list of all the known weaves shown in the books to date?

What about various differences in strength when it comes to specific types of weaves? I think that might work better as a skill roll for each weave group rather than one or skill rolls based on affinities. Nynaeve would have a high healing skill roll, while Elayne would have a low one. The situations would be reversed when it came to terangreal weaves. Then again, you might want a basic skill roll that isn't as effective as the specialized ones, so that the specialized ones denote extreme skill in that area rather then the possible weakness. I don't know, what do you think?

Obviously, I am not done yet - just getting the sketchy outline figured out.

:think:

Many of the issues addressed are already plotted out but I have not had the time to write them down.

If you note on many of the issues raised, it is mainly questions stemming from a lack of understanding how the system, in particular the required reserves work. For instance, Shielding is readily handled here (and has absolutely nothing to do with the size of ones power framework) - the OP is a dedicated END reserve already (as was suggested) - Shielding mentally entagles the the magic sence group - a rather elegant method of removing the ability to channel IMO.

I also have a plan to handle people who are stonger in say healing than they are in elementalism but it has not been spelled out (involves a talent). The system will be revised some but after really looking at some of the weaves I know power frameworks will not work without a major overhaul of Hero System - they do fine for what they were intended to do and work well for many magic systems but cannot simulate the OP in a Heroic level game.

I hope to post a more detailed version 1.1 on Thursday.

Eosin I'm seriously interested in your work on this... I just dont know Hero System well enough yet to take on this task and i'm very interested in porting WoT over...

Regarding severing/stilling/gentling and shielding.. have you considered that those particular weaves appear more like a melee assault in the writings? what about making them a defendable attack, opposed rolls or somesuch

(I know i'm probably bring way too much d20 knowledge here but its the only thing i have to compare by! :) )

~llewin

Hey i just thought I'd pass on the information about the website http://www.callofthehorn.com . . .

It's a new transfer of a pre-existing wheel of time pen/paper rpg site that has mostly revolved around the d20 system wotc made.

But with the new transfer it'd be awesome to gather ALL of our wot-fan brethren together and start playing off of everyones ideas and intelligence...

come over and check it out, if we get a few good posters who like the hero system i'm sure a strong community than the one that already existed will develop!! :)

~llewin

Nice write-up! One small detail you're missing though - When men and women are holding the one power, their senses are greatly sharpened. I remember one instance in the books that Rand would seize saidin and hold it just so he could see farther. It's just a small detail, but if you want to be accurate you should account for it. Otherwise great job.

Hey i just thought I'd pass on the information about the website http://www.callofthehorn.com . . .

It's a new transfer of a pre-existing wheel of time pen/paper rpg site that has mostly revolved around the d20 system wotc made.

But with the new transfer it'd be awesome to gather ALL of our wot-fan brethren together and start playing off of everyones ideas and intelligence...

This is Randy's... err Eosin's website. Its kind of ironic that Eosin perfer's Hero system (he and I are our group's GMs) but writes stuff for his website based on d20 due to the fan base.

Wheel of Time Magic in the Hero System

SKILLS

One Power: Spirit

One Power: Earth

One Power: Air

One Power: Fire

One Power: Water

Analyze: The One Power

Research: The One Power

Fastdraw: Embracing the Source

KS: The One Power

KS: Sadin

KS: Sadar

KS: Traditions (Aes Sedai, Windfinders, Wise Ones, Sul’dam, & Asha’man)

TALENTS:

*One Power Endurance [END Battery]

*Weave Sight [see Mental Awareness – Free with END]

Cross-Gender Affinities [5 points]

*One Power Strength [Determines the maximum power of your weaves]

Strong X [Healer, Traveler, Cloud Dancer]

Enhanced Senses [bonuses to Perception]

Sense Residue [Precognition with Weave Sight]

Flame & Void [Additional DEX, CON, EGO, & PRE]

Invert Weave [Naked Advantage of Invisible to One Power Awareness]

Tie Off [Naked Advantage of Persistent]

Multiple Weaves [Don’t know how I am gonna do this just yet – maybe just multi-attack]

* = Must have this to be a Channeler

ISSUES

Linking

Shielding

Angrael

Stilling

The One Power

The One Power is a natural resource. The extent of control over it depends on the user’s skill and innate magical strength. [HERO Terms: Channelers are required to purchase Endurance Reserves and all weaves must cost END]. Any character with a One Power END battery gains One Power Awareness (Exactly like Mental Awareness).

DF: Channeler

It is not available to just anyone but is required of all channelers. There are two types of channelers – those who can be taught and those who will channel naturally. This has little impact on magical power in the long run. Since impact is minimal, this is best handled as a DF that indicates a born channeler or one who can be taught. Taking the DF is required at character creation and serves to limit who can and who cannot channel.

Channelers will also generally take social limitations to reflect their tradition. Aes Sedai and male channelers get the added bonus.

Aes Sedai:

PHYSICAL LIMIT: Cannot Speak a work of untruth, May not make a weapon with the One Power, and May not kill except for Shadowspawn or in Defence.

Male: PHYSICAL LIMIT: Going mad from the Taint.

Skill Roll

Both inborn talent and learned skill aid the channeler in weaving the One Power. All spells are required to take a RSR: X – Affinity. Where the value of X is the primary element used to form the Weave.

There are five skill rolls that govern use of the One Power and they correspond to the elements used in the Wheel of Time books – Spirit, Earth, Air, Fire, & Water.

Male Channelers are allowed to freely purchase the skill rolls associated with Spirit, Earth, & Fire.

Female Channelers are allowed to freely purchase the skill rolls associated with Spirit, Air, & Water.

Characters may purchase the Cross-Gender Affinity as a 5-point talent. This allows characters like Egwene to use the skill roll associated with Earth.

As a campaign rule characters are required to “rank†their Affinity skill rolls at character creation. The player will review the skill rolls and place them in order from highest skill roll to lowest. This ordering may never be changed. Explanation: channeling characters in the WOT are born with a certain predilection to the various elemental affinities, we are trying to mimic this by requiring the character to keep his skill rolls ranked in power throughout his career. If a character wants to be equally strong in say Air & Water then they need only start out with identical values in those two skills BUT those skills may never be more than a single point apart after all the character is equally strong in both areas.

• Note one: Players may elect to start with 2-5 Affinities ranked equally but they have to raise them equally.

• Note two: Use of this system forces the characters to specialize, at least a little, since they will not have the points to take all five affinities (with the two cross-gender talents) at 21- or less on the skill roll. If they want all five affinities they will have to deal with lower skill rolls.

Talents

One Power Strength – As the ability to channel is a gift some are born with while and others are not, so to is an individuals peak power a quirk of birth. Men and Women gain power differently, but neither can reach beyond the gifts they were born with, much like some people will never run a 5 minute mile no matter how hard they train. The One Power Strength Talent must be purchased at character creation.

0 point –– This person will never become an Accepted.

1 point – Feeble Channeler – This person will never become an Aes Sedai

3 points – Weak Channeler – This person barely qualifies for the title Aes Sedai

5 points – Average Channeler – The average Aes Sedai during the book time frame.

10 points – Gifted Channeler – A powerful and respected Aes Sedai

15 points – Strong Channeler – An Aes Sedai renown for her strength (Suiane or Moiraine).

20 points – Elite Channeler – Stronger than the Aes Sedai believe possible (Wonder Girls)

25 points – Legendary Channeler – As Strong as the most powerful Forsaken

Why is this important? All Weaves are pre-built with a given power range. A character may only channel weaves up to their One Power Strength but use of Linking, Angreals, & Sa’angraels may modify a character One Power Strength.

One Power Talents – certain uses of the One Power do not come easily to even the most powerful Channeler while other may find that they have an aptitude for working these unusual types of weaves. Examples include Healing, Foretelling, and Earth Delving. The cost of these talents is listed in the descriptions below.

There is a limited version of the One Power Strength Talent – called Strong X, where X is a particular talent like Healing or Traveling. However, strong X does more than just increase the power of your highest strength weave; it also provides bonuses to offset miscellaneous penalties incurred because of missing Affinities and the like.

Weave Familiarities

There are two standard methods to learn new weaves – the first and hardest is study and experimentation. The standard rules for spell research apply (pg 88 5th ED) but the time and penalty for research is -1 per 5 active points rather than the standard -1 per 10 active points. Failing this roll can have disastrous consequences like stilling. If the Inventor roll is missed by more than 5 points the character suffers an END Battery drain equal to 1d6 per 10 AP of the Weave. If the character has no END remaining then they are effectively stilled.

The second and easier method is through observation of a weave being made. Channelers must make an Analyze: The One Power roll, success indicates that they may try to attempt to recreate the effect. If the roll was made by more than 2 then it can be immediately attempted but if the roll was close then the character will need a day or two to review what they saw. In either case a standard One Power Research roll is needed but with no active point penalty, if successful they have mastered the weave.

Traditions:

Channelers exist in Traditions, such as the Aes Sedai, but players may opt out of that type of confinement by choosing to be Wilders, that is Channelers who have had no formal training. The Weave selection for Wilders is much more complicated to handle so I will address the Traditions first, mainly by example using the Aes Sedai.

Each Tradition has a set of Weaves that are more or less common to all of its members. This set of Tradition Weaves is the base familiarity [Abbreviated OPWF] and is handled as an “Everyman Skill†meaning it is free much like Transport Familiarity Motor Vehicles is free for Dark Champions characters. However, many characters in the books have access to more diverse, more powerful, or just plain unique weaves, to simulate that characters may pay additional points for other One Power Weave Familiarities [OPWF].

OPWF: Aes Sedai

Foretell Weather

Warmth

Bond Warder

Sense Shadow Spawn

Trace

Arms of Air

Create Fire

Dry

False Wall

Harden Air

Light

Delve

Renew

Disguise

Eavesdrop

Mirror of Mists

Voice of Power

Barrier to Sight

Circle of Silence

Dream Shielding

Shield

Weak Arms of Air: Telekinesis (10 STR), Fine Manipulation, BOECV (Standard Defenses apply; +1) (50 Active Points); Costs END To Maintain (Full END Cost; -1/2), Requires An OPA: Air Roll (-1/2), Spell (-1/2). END = 5

Average Arms of Air: Telekinesis (20 STR), Fine Manipulation, BOECV (Standard Defenses apply; +1) (80 Active Points); Costs END To Maintain (Full END Cost; -1/2), Requires An OPA: Air Roll (-1/2), Spell (-1/2). END = 8

Gifted Arms of Air: Telekinesis (30 STR), Fine Manipulation, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), BOECV (Standard Defenses apply; +1) (124 Active Points); Costs END To Maintain (1/2 END Cost; -1/4) Requires An OPA: Air Roll (-1/2), Spell (-1/2). END = 5

Strong Arms of Air: Telekinesis (35 STR), Fine Manipulation, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/2), BOECV (Standard Defenses apply; +1), Autofire (2 shots; +1 1/4) (234 Active Points); Costs END To Maintain (1/2 END Cost; -1/4), Requires An OPA: Air Roll (-1/2), Spell (-1/2). END = 10

Shielding: This is a tricky facet of the One Power no matter what system you are working with. What this construct does is pretty simple – it has a set effect of entangling the END battery and stops the ability to see the One Power, without either one of those you cannot channel. This Entangle does not paralyze the Channeler and has no effect against non-Channelers. The mechanics for being mentally entangled are simply the best representation of being Shielded. A nice side effect is that it works really well when adding other Channelers – they can add to the DEF of the entangle making it harder for the Shielded victim to break free.

Cost Power END

13 Weak Shielding: Entangle 0 1/2d6, 1 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group Mental Group), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4), BOECV (Mental Defense applies; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4), Invisible to Sight Group, Hide effects of Power (+1) (60 Active Points); Set Effect (One Power Only) (-1), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Requires An One Power Roll (-1/2), (One Power Strength Adds to EGO; -1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Costs END To Maintain (Half END Cost; -1/4), Subject To Range Modifier (-1/4) 6

17 Shielding: Entangle 1d6, 2 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group Mental Group), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4), BOECV (Mental Defense applies; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4), Invisible to Sight Group, Hide effects of Power (+1) (75 Active Points); Set Effect (One Power Only) (-1), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Requires An One Power Roll (-1/2), (One Power Strength Adds to EGO; -1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Costs END To Maintain (Half END Cost; -1/4), Subject To Range Modifier (-1/4) 7

23 Gifted Shielding: Entangle 2d6, 3 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group Mental Group), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4), BOECV (Mental Defense applies; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4), Invisible to Sight Group, Hide effects of Power (+1) (105 Active Points); Set Effect (One Power Only) (-1), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Requires An One Power Roll (-1/2), (One Power Strength Adds to EGO; -1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Costs END To Maintain (Half END Cost; -1/4), Subject To Range Modifier (-1/4) 10

27 Strong Shielding: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group Mental Group), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4), BOECV (Mental Defense applies; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4), Invisible to Sight Group, Hide effects of Power (+1) (120 Active Points); Set Effect (One Power Only) (-1), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Requires An One Power Roll (-1/2), (One Power Strength Adds to EGO; -1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Costs END To Maintain (Half END Cost; -1/4), Subject To Range Modifier (-1/4) 12

33 Elite Shielding: Entangle 3d6, 5 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group Mental Group), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4), BOECV (Mental Defense applies; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4), Invisible to Sight Group, Hide effects of Power (+1) (150 Active Points); Set Effect (One Power Only) (-1), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Requires An One Power Roll (-1/2), (One Power Strength Adds to EGO; -1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Costs END To Maintain (Half END Cost; -1/4), Subject To Range Modifier (-1/4)

Obviously, I am still not anywhere near done but we are getting closer.

Addedum: Embracing the Source is a Full Phase action but may be bought down with the Fastdraw skill to a 1/2 Phase Action.

Skill Penalties:

I forgot to include a section on Skill Penalties:

Skills are based off of a Primary Affinity and may requie additional Affinities.

If you do not have the the Primary Affinity you may use your best Affinity with a -5 to the Skill Roll.

If you do not have the required secondary affinities then you suffer a -2 for each missing Element.

Generally speaking skill rolls are at -1 per 10 AP but on some Weaves this gets silly - the inherent penalty for any given weave should not be more than -10 [barring things like Balefire]. The same applies to END costs.

An example of the talent Strong X:

Talent:

Strong Healer

+10 Penalty Skill Levels to offest RSR penalties.

+2 Ranks for this type of weave on the One Power Strength Chart.

I decided that I did not like the arms of air construct. It works better as a MPP - and rolls in the effects of tools of air, harden air, & arms of air.

Arms of Air

Cost Power END
45 Accepted Arms of Air: Multipower, 45-point reserve, all slots BOECV (Standard DEF applies; +1 1/4) (101 Active Points); all slots Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2)
1u 1) Strength of Air: Telekinesis (10 STR), Fine Manipulation (25 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2) 2
1u 2) Hammer of Air: EB 5d6 (25 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2) 2
1u 3) Harden Air: Entangle 2d6, 3 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2) (37 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) 4
1u 4) Hurl: Telekinesis (30 STR) (45 Active Points); Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to throw opponent; -1), Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4) 4
1u 5) Shield of Air: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack) (20 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (-1/2), Spell (-1/2) 2
75 Aes Sedai Arms of Air: Multipower, 75-point reserve, all slots BOECV (Standard DEF applies; +1 1/4) (169 Active Points); all slots Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2)
2u 1) Strength of Air: Telekinesis (20 STR), Fine Manipulation (40 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2) 4
1u 2) Hammer of Air: EB 7d6 (35 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2) 3
2u 3) Harden Air: Entangle 3d6, 5 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) 6
2u 4) Hurl: Telekinesis (50 STR) (75 Active Points); Only to throw (Only to throw opponent; -1), Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4) 7
1u 5) Shield of Air: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Full Range (+1) (40 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (-1/2), Spell (-1/2) 4
150 Strong Aes Sedai Arms of Air: Multipower, 150-point reserve, all slots BOECV (Standard DEF applies; +1 1/4) (337 Active Points); all slots Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2)
6u 1) Strength of Air: Telekinesis (30 STR), Fine Manipulation, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (7" Any Area; +1), Selective (+1/4) (137 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2) 6
2u 2) Hammer of Air: EB 9d6 (45 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2) 4
3u 3) Hammer of Air: EB 7d6, Area Of Effect (4" Any Area; +1), Selective (+1/4) (79 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2) 8
2u 4) Hammer of Air: EB 7d6, Explosion (Cone; -1 DC/4"; +3/4), Nonselective Target (-1/4) (52 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2) 5
3u 5) Harden Air: Entangle 3d6, 6 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2) (67 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) 7
4u 6) Hurl: Telekinesis (50 STR), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Selective (+1/4) (150 Active Points); Only to throw (Only to throw opponent; -1), Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4) 6
2u 7) Shield of Air: (Total: 55 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Full Range (+1) (40 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (-1/2), Spell (-1/2) (Real Cost: 12) plus +5 with Missle Deflection (15 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7) 4

BOECV is expensive but I don't see plump ole Verin using her massive DEX of 10 to manage her Arms of Air. It might be worth it to establish a campaign rule of "All Weaves are based on ECV for targeting rather than OCV as a +0 Modifer"

The above is ugly but it works and I am tired of trying to format it for readibility.

I am also not sure about the RSR - Skill versus skill contest. It really should not be worth that much of a limit but works well in Aes Sedai versus Aes Sedai combat.

PPS - I think I built the MPP right but rarely use them so I hope the gurus will let me know if I did wrong.

I realized that I needed to change a few tidbits on Arms of Air.

• All Weaves are Based on ECV but Defended with DCV. Standard DEF applies. This is a 0 point modifier.
  • The weaves from Arms of Air should be Indirect - this was added.
  • A few weaves needed to have the RSR & END costs lowered.

Arms of Air

Cost Power END
37 Accepted Arms of Air: Multipower, 56-point reserve, all slots (Use ECV to Target DCV. Standard DEF.; +0), Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2) (84 Active Points); all slots Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2)
1u 1) Strength of Air: Telekinesis (10 STR), Fine Manipulation, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4) (31 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2) 3
1u 2) Hammer of Air: EB 5d6, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4) (31 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2) 3
2u 3) Harden Air: Entangle 2d6, 3 DEF, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2) (44 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) 4
2u 4) Hurl: Telekinesis (30 STR), Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4) (56 Active Points); Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to throw opponent; -1), Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4) 6
1u 5) Shield of Air: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack) (20 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (-1/2), Spell (-1/2) 2
63 Aes Sedai Arms of Air: Multipower, 94-point reserve, all slots (Use ECV to Target DCV. Standard DEF.; +0), Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2) (141 Active Points); all slots Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2)
2u 1) Strength of Air: Telekinesis (20 STR), Fine Manipulation, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4) (50 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2) 5
2u 2) Hammer of Air: EB 7d6, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4) (44 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2) 4
3u 3) Harden Air: Entangle 3d6, 5 DEF, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2) (70 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) 7
3u 4) Hurl: Telekinesis (50 STR), Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Only to throw (Only to throw opponent; -1), Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Spell (-1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4) 9
1u 5) Shield of Air: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Full Range (+1) (40 Active Points); Requires A One Power Affinity Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests; -3/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (-1/2), Spell (-1/2) 4
89 Strong Aes Sedai Arms of Air: Multipower, 179-point reserve, all slots (Use ECV to Target DCV. Standard DEF.; +0) (179 Active Points); all slots Spell (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, Variable RSR; -1/2)
9u 1) Strength of Air: Telekinesis (30 STR), Fine Manipulation, (RSR -1 per 20 AP; +0), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2), Area Of Effect (11" Any Area; +1), Selective (+1/4) (179 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, Variable RSR; -1/2) 8
3u 2) Hammer of Air: EB 9d6, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4) (56 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, Variable RSR; -1/2) 6
4u 3) Hammer of Air: EB 7d6, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Area Of Effect (4" Any Area; +1), Selective (+1/4) (87 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, Variable RSR; -1/2) 9
3u 4) Hammer of Air: EB 7d6, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Explosion (Cone; -1 DC/4"; +3/4), Nonselective Target (-1/4) (61 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, Variable RSR; -1/2) 6
3u 5) Harden Air: Entangle 3d6, 6 DEF, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2) (79 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, Variable RSR; -1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) 8
5u 6) Hurl: Telekinesis (50 STR), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Selective (+1/4) (169 Active Points); Only to throw (Only to throw opponent; -1), Spell (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, Variable RSR; -1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4) 7
2u 7) Shield of Air: (Total: 55 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Full Range (+1) (40 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Limited Coverage [61-180] Degrees (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, Variable RSR; -1/2) (Real Cost: 13) plus +5 with Missle Deflection (15 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, Variable RSR; -1/2) (Real Cost: 7) 4

Hows them apples? Next I will see about getting some of the Earth stuff done along with the Gateways & Healing. Of course, I will need to work on that beast of beasts - Balefire.

I'd treat that one as a transform, which is a catch-all for weird stuff.

Transform someone who exists, to someone who doesn't exist, retroactive (possibly randomly backwards in time - from what I've read of the books, they don't know how far back), ranged, line of sight and a hefty skill roll.

I'd treat that one as a transform, which is a catch-all for weird stuff.

Transform someone who exists, to someone who doesn't exist, retroactive (possibly randomly backwards in time - from what I've read of the books, they don't know how far back), ranged, line of sight and a hefty skill roll.

I see two problems that exist with the transform.

1. Balefire should torch anything in its path - walls, people, small mountains, you get the picture. You can't really do that with Transform.

2. Assuming standard Hero mechanics you must be able to Transform double the value of a Trollocks BODY in a single shot with zero chance of failure. Just taking a look - Transform as Balefire is clocking in at around 800 points as opposed to the standard Hero System construction of total annihilation. The Transform is also only bought half as strong as it normally should be considering that it will only bring 20 BODY creatures to Zero.

Here is my construction and it uses the Hero System standard for total destruction - you do not roll damage with this - whatever gets hit is simply gone. DMs can tweak the time factor as they desire. A funny problem occured no matter how you build Balefire - it is too expensice for RSR (even at -20) and too expensive for END. The modifiers included in my build are RSR -1 per 40 AP (was charged as no AP penalty) and the END is 1/4 END COSTS (charged as 0 END).

Remember by this build follows the rules proposed here - and that means it you have to have the Balefire Talent in order to even consider using the Weave and the lowest "level" it is availabe is Elite Channeler.

Elite Balefire: (Total: 566 Active Cost, 452 Real Cost) RKA 8d6, Transdimensional (Through time (1 turn); +1/2), Reduced END (1/4 END; 14 END) (+1/2), Area Affect Line; Nonselective, Reduced Range 32 Hexes (+3/4), NND (Resistance to Time Powers; +1), Does BODY (+1) (570 Active Points); RSR: The One Power (-1 per 40 AP: RSR -14) (-1/4) (Real Cost: 456) plus Difficult to Aim (-2 OCV) (-4 Active Points) (Real Cost: -4)

RSR -14

END -14

OCV -2

Rands Balefire: (Total: 656 Active Cost, 524 Real Cost) RKA 8d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Transdimensional (Through time (5 min); +1/2), Area Of Effect Nonselective (228" Line; +3/4), NND (Resistance to Time Powers; +1), Does BODY (+1), Continuous (+1) (660 Active Points); RSR: The One Power (-1 per 40 AP: RSR -17) (-1/4) (Real Cost: 528) plus Difficult to Aim (-2 OCV) (-4 Active Points) (Real Cost: -4)

RSR -17

END -31

RSR -2

Talent: Balefire 10 points.

• 3 months later...

The One Power seems like it would work very well as a VPP limited to 'known' effects (as represented by weave familiarities) with the pool manipulation skill roll modified by affinity, talent, and perhaps a variable for the particular effect being created.

People born with more potential than others simply buy a bigger pool if they have the points available.

Thats basically how I did it in my writeup.

Each element of the One Power had its own skill roll and those with an affinity to one particular element simply had a higher skill roll, thus allowing them to safely manipulate more of the One Power with that particular element.

For example:

If Egwene has a One Power Pool of 90pts but her skill with Earth is only 11- attempting to use the entirety of her pool for an Earth-related weave is foolhard, as she would have a -9 penalty to her skill roll! However, lets say that Egwene has an affinity with Water and Healing weaves. Her Water skill is normally a 14- and she gets an "affinity" bonus of +3 for 17-. Using her whole pool for a Healing weave leaves her with an 8 or less chance. Not great, but much better than a 2 or less!

The main reason I use this method is because I distinctly remember several instances in the book where they mention Aes Sedai with lower levels of Power, but with incredible skill in weaving their limited Power. And there have been several cases of individuals with gobs of Power but not skill in weaving it. (mainly described as "clumsily woven")