Enchanted Armor

Citizen Keen

Just picked up the Grimoire. Taking a break from roleplaying for a year, but had a gift certificate to my hobby store. Great book.

In Enchanting, the first example is some kind of teleportation armor. It's built as Armor plus Teleportation. And then it explains that the character has to pay for the Armor and the Teleportation.

In a Campaign where characters don't have to pay for equipment, why should a character have to pay the Character Points for Armor? If the only difference between normal, buy-at-your-local-smith armor (0 CP) and this special Armor (10 CP Armor and 3 CP Teleportation), shouldn't the character only have to pay for the Teleportation? (3 CP)

Please explain. Thanks!

Re: Enchanted Armor

It is like finding a 4d6 HKA magic sword, do you only pay for the top 2d6 because a normal sword can do that anyway?

The cost reflects they synergy advantages of having two useful items in one. Like a combined coat hanger and cigarette lighter. What a fantastic idea. I'd buy that for a dollar....

If you only want the player to pay for the teleportation then make it a ring.

I don't have the book in question, but it has always been my opinion that armor bought with points is much better than armor bought with money, even if it has the same stats. And if it doesn't have the "real armor" limitation then it is already far more useful.

Just picked up the Grimoire. Taking a break from roleplaying for a year, but had a gift certificate to my hobby store. Great book.

In Enchanting, the first example is some kind of teleportation armor. It's built as Armor plus Teleportation. And then it explains that the character has to pay for the Armor and the Teleportation.

In a Campaign where characters don't have to pay for equipment, why should a character have to pay the Character Points for Armor? If the only difference between normal, buy-at-your-local-smith armor (0 CP) and this special Armor (10 CP Armor and 3 CP Teleportation), shouldn't the character only have to pay for the Teleportation? (3 CP)

Please explain. Thanks!

Ok,

IF you are talking about the Enchant Armor spell on page 117 of the Grimoire, the spell caster only pays 3 real points for the ability to cast the spell (ie: create the armor). The 10 real points listed for the finished armor is just a write-up that could be used for a magic item list for example. I don't think a character using the armor would need to pay real points for it any more than he should for a magic sword that he finds in a dungeon.

On a somewhat related note, I believe that Dark Champions introduces a new concept called something like Equipment Points?! (I don't have the book yet.) This can be thought of as a free allocation to the characters in the same idea as everyman skills or a purchased pool of points (that could be increased above the free level) like that used for vehicles and bases. In either case, this pool of points is where you would apply the real cost of the Actual Armor (10 points) in the example above.

Now IF a player liked the item so much and wanted to make it a permanent personal item it WOULD be appropriate to pay the real points for it. This would then imply that the character would somehow inherrently have an easier method (compared to the equipment pool example above) of recovering/replacing the item if lost or stolen.

EDIT

I now understand your question to be why would the enchanter have to pay the 10 real points IF the alternate enchant item creation rules from Fantasy Hero are NOT being used.

If that is the case, I think that the cost of the Armor Power portion of the Magic Armor is due to its lightness since it is built using only the Half Mass limitation which implies that it is lighter than an equivalent defense non-magical suit of armor.