Healing BODY Limit

Super Squirrel

Re: Healing BODY Limit

Is there an adder or a modifier to increase the max amount a person a person can heal without adding more dice?
Nope. It wouldn't be useful, even if there was. Imagine a 1d6 Healing BODY where the max is 20. You use it once and roll a 6. Later uses don't have any effect unless you roll more than 6. Since you can't roll more than 6 on 1d6, you'd never reach your theoretical max of 20 anyway. :)

Here's what I'd do...

The STANDARD EFFECT for Healing is 5 AP for 3 CHAR Pts of Healing, so I'd allow an Adder that does +3 BODY for 10 AP (since 2 pts of Healing = 1 BODY healed).

Examples.....

4 Cure Minor Wounds: Healing, 1 BODY 1
20 Cure LIght Wounds: Healing BODY 1d6, +3 BODY 2
30 Cure Moderate Wounds: Healing BODY 1d6, +6 BODY 3
40 Cure Serious Wounds: Healing BODY 1d6, +9 BODY 4
70 Heal: Healing BODY 1d6, +18 BODY 7

Is there an adder or a modifier to increase the max amount a person a person can heal without adding more dice?

I want the power to only give 1d6 Healing but I want a maximum amount of 20 healed.

Super Squirrel,

I am not aware of any rule to do so but a quick glance at the rules for Entangle might show a good (but expensive) way to model what you want.

Entangle costs 10 points/dice

Healing costs 10 points/dice

Entangle allows you to increase the defense by +1 for every 5 points above the base dice.

Why not just apply the same mechanic to Healing to say that every additional 5 points increases the maximum body healed by +1?

So your Healing 1d6 with a maximum of 20 body healed would cost 100 active points. It costs the same as 10d6 of healing (20 body max as well) but trades the upfront 10 body average for a flat curve of progression which seems like it would simulate D&D Healing very well.

HM

I've been tempted to rule that any adjustment power (Absorbtion, Healing, etc) that is restoring lost points to a characteristic or power is not limited in how much it can restore over time.

The drawback to allowing that for Absorbtion is that it can make certain character builds almost undroppable.

Same here. I just treat Healing as "Reverse NND Damage". 3d6 Healing will net you an average of 11 STUN and 3 BODY everytime you use it until the target is completely healed.

In other words, you are using the "Simplified Healing" optional rules? :think:

I prefer this as well, especially for damage healing. I have suggested to the characters that they keep track of their wounds individually, so that they can be individually healed. Seems like no one is willing to go into battle anymore with BODY damage...

I remember a period of months, back in a campaign, when I was playing my character Electro, who had sufferred massive damage... after a short time playing a backup character (he had been at negative BODY, so was hospitalized), I got Electro back, and played him through the painful recuperation period. He braved it out (guess he had read Spiderman, and realized that if Spidey could do it, he could!), and while he was a little more fragile (we had misinterpreted the rules back then, in that every BODY damage point reduced your max STUN by 1), but this was not extraordinary for the character who would charge into battle ad take the early brunt (ok, tactics were never his strong point... and he was rather overconfident... ), and spent more time KO'd than any other character. Was reasonably common for Energy Projectors in that campaign, as I recall...

I want the power to only give 1d6 Healing but I want a maximum amount of 20 healed.

Yes. There are two methods: One is to use the Cumulative Advantage as described under Adjustment Powers. Of course, it doesn't apply to most Adjustment Powers (Drain and Absorption are already cumulative, Aid and Transfer have their own method of increasing the maximum, and the only ones left are Suppress and Healing - if Cumulative can only be applied to Suppress, why wasn't it mentioned under Suppress, instead of the Adjustment Powers category?).

The other method, IIRC, is described in Fantasy Hero. They give an advantage to shorten the "reset time" of Healing. I (and dare I say, most people who use a reset time) use one day as the default, so for each level of this advantage (+1/4? +1/2? I don't remember) the reset time moves one step down on the time chart. So by default a 1d6 Healing can heal a maximum of 6 points per day to a character, with one level of advantage, you could heal 6 points per 6 hours, with four levels of this advantage, you could heal 6 points every five minutes, etc.

I (and dare I say' date=' most people who use a reset time) use one day as the default, [/quote']

I do as well, but then I ask myself "Self", I ask "What if the Healing is for STUN, or END, or even a BOD drain that otherwise would have fully healed in seconds?"

My best answer is that the Healing should be considered reset if the points healed would have come back naturally by that time, or one day at the most.

I really don't know why anyone would buy Healing for a stat that will come back in a few turns of rest anyway. It's like paying points to breathe, or to wake up in the morning. I never use the "simplified healing". I buy straight Healing BODY only. Each d6 can heal up to 3 BODY (and no STUN, but so what?).

But yes, if you want to heal STUN or END, then yes, it should reset when you would have RECovered them normally.

And yes, I do see that there is some benefit to Healing END or STUN, such as in the heat of combat when you're running low on either or both. But I still don't think it's worth that much. You can "waste" a phase taking a recovery, or the healer can "waste" a phase healing you. Either way, someone has to spend a phase, but with the former option, it didn't cost any extra points. (And yes, I know the rules, that a recovery can be spoiled, etc.)

And yes' date=' I do see that there is some benefit to Healing END or STUN, such as in the heat of combat when you're running low on either or both. But I still don't think it's worth that much. You can "waste" a phase taking a recovery, or the healer can "waste" a phase healing you. Either way, someone has to spend a phase, but with the former option, it didn't cost any extra points. (And yes, I know the rules, that a recovery can be spoiled, etc.)[/quote']

If it's "self only"for 3d6, that's over 20 END on average. My magical VPP character with a 10 REC finds it quite valuable (commonly carries 3d6, any two stats, self only). Then again, he's not wholly averse to wasting the occasional phase, either. The 0 DCV concentration makes it almost as painful as taking a recovery, but at least he gets the points back up front, and still has the END provided he doesn't get KO'd during his opponent's window of opportunity.