Viperia/Champions matchup: Define Witchcraft's VPP

TheEmerged

Re: Viperia/Champions matchup: Define Witchcraft's VPP

"Null Cloud: Darkness to Sight and Hearing Groups 1" radius, Usable As Attack (+1); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) Real Cost: 15"

Out of curiousity, would this stay with Viperia as she moved? The usable as attack I assume takes care of that but wanted to ask.

Thanks.

"Null Cloud: Darkness to Sight and Hearing Groups 1" radius, Usable As Attack (+1); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) Real Cost: 15"

Out of curiousity, would this stay with Viperia as she moved? The usable as attack I assume takes care of that but wanted to ask.

Thanks.

Offically, yes, "Usable as Attack" is how you make Darkness that moves with a target.

I am a little surprised at using charges though on some of these powers. Once the charges are up' date=' can you shift the points around and just get the same power again or are you forbidden from that spell for the rest of the day? With a VPP that doesn't require to be changed in a lab, it seems abusive though this wouldn't include WF since she needs to go to the Spellbook. Still... I'd probably not allow it in most circumstances. I'd have to look at it.[/quote']

I think that the book rule is that once you use up a charge on a Power in a VPP, the points that represent that charge are gone for the day. I don't now how to figure out how many points represent each charge (a fraction of the overall cost of the Power with Charges, or the difference in cost between the different value of Charges). So I simply rule that as soon as you create a Power with Charges, the points in that Power are stuck there until the "charges" would recover the following day, even if you never use a single Charge.

Her best bet to survive this encounter at all is to avoid getting hit. So, I suggest the following:

Illusionary Decoys: +6 DCV. 30-points

As an added bonus, Viperia wastes attack actions on the decoys, leaving herself open for a surprise pushed Haymaker from Ironclad (if you're using Hit Locations, have him go for a head shot).

Okay, I'd go with two options:

-If Witchcraft makes her ___ check to do better tactical assessment, she should realize that her biggest priority is keeping herself up. 20 PD Force Field, 0 END.

-If she blows the roll, she should default to the Spell of Vitality.

This is what I'm going to go with. The others are too dependent on making an OCV roll against Viperia.

The rolls are starting... now.

For the record -- Viperia made her deductions against everyone *but* Nighthawk. Nighthawk made his KS:Superhuman World by 6 and hence knows her vulnerability -- but won't be able to do anything with this knowledge until his turn.

Witchcraft, it turns out, only has one halfway-relevant skills in KS: Witchcraft -- to recognize her opponent is vulnerable to magic. She blew it, however (r/16 vs 13-). Spell of Vitality it is...

The other relevant skill success was that Ironclad made his Tactics roll (r/5 vs 8-). He can't attempt Find Weakness until actual combat phases...

For the record -- Viperia made her deductions against everyone *but* Nighthawk. Nighthawk made his KS:Superhuman World by 6 and hence knows her vulnerability -- but won't be able to do anything with this knowledge until his turn.

Witchcraft, it turns out, only has one halfway-relevant skills in KS: Witchcraft -- to recognize her opponent is vulnerable to magic. She blew it, however (r/16 vs 13-). Spell of Vitality it is...

The other relevant skill success was that Ironclad made his Tactics roll (r/5 vs 8-). He can't attempt Find Weakness until actual combat phases...

Did you roll for Viperias Reputation Disad?

I'd actually probably have given Viperia a freebie on Witchcraft, since she is Hunted by Viper.

Her best bet to survive this encounter at all is to avoid getting hit. So, I suggest the following:

Illusionary Decoys: +6 DCV. 30-points

As an added bonus, Viperia wastes attack actions on the decoys, leaving herself open for a surprise pushed Haymaker from Ironclad (if you're using Hit Locations, have him go for a head shot).

Technically can't do this, since CSLs aren't allowed in VPPs.

Not that it matters at this point. :D

It's Segment 6 right now, at the current rate I won't finish tonight. So far all of the Champions but Witchcraft have been lucky with DiveForCover -- and the one she missed was a longshot (7-) desperation attempt because she knew an average result would have put her below 0 Stun. So far the Champions have not laid a finger on Viperia -- although Ironclad is on a pace to change that in Segment 8 thanks to a car and 2 successful Find Weakness rolls... of course Viperia can DFC too if she wants.

Just completed Segment 8. Sapphire is down, Witchcraft is out, Nighthawk and Defender are one shot from Viperia's Thunderclap shot from going down, Ironclad is at 1 Stun (by the luck of a bad roll) -- and I'm debating whether or not to allow his Find Weakness to apply to hitting her with a car. To be continued...

This sounds very entertaining, TheEmerged. I used to do things like this when I ran my campaigns, though it was usually background news material (I don't know if you're doing it for your campaign, or just seeing what the results would be like).

I am intrigued to see the results, though hoping Viperia will win (bias due to 4th Ed Viperia nostalgia).

Maybe Witchcraft sould have just gone with Expeditious Reflexes: DEX +6 (18 Active) No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) Full Phase To Activate (-1/4) Real Cost: 10 plus SPD +2 Real Cost 20. Total Cost 30.

Alas...

Maybe Witchcraft sould have just gone with Expeditious Reflexes: DEX +6 (18 Active) No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) Full Phase To Activate (-1/4) Real Cost: 10 plus SPD +2 Real Cost 20. Total Cost 30.

Alas...

Actually? In hindsight I think her best bet would have been some variant on Flash Defense: Hearing, usable by others (ranged, simultaneously, etc) -- this would have all but eliminated the effectiveness of Viperia's Thunderclap slot (the NND part of which is negated by hard ear coverings).

Will be resuming shortly; Ironclad is going to drop the car and go for a direct blow so he can do 14d6 instead of 13d6 (the car is actually limiting how much damage he can do)...

Will be resuming shortly; Ironclad is going to drop the car and go for a direct blow so he can do 14d6 instead of 13d6 (the car is actually limiting how much damage he can do)...

Yes, but does he know that? Besides, my thinking (when I played bricks) was that the range modifiers on cars might suck, but the OCV bonus (if not counted as an area of effect "1 hex") would outweigh the disadvantages. (Heh, outweigh.)

What range modifiers? He was planning to use it as a melee weapon.

It's all over but the dying -- the Champions almost pulled it off thanks to a couple of lucky breaks, but their luck broke down and they were unable to clinch it. In the end it was only 1 turn (Segment 12 to Segment 12).

I'll post it as soon as I make a few corrections due to a rule about recoveries I honestly did not know until today...

What range modifiers? He was planning to use it as a melee weapon.

Ah, okay. (Just out of curiousity: swinging it like a bat, or slamming it down like a folded chair?)

I'll post it as soon as I make a few corrections due to a rule about recoveries I honestly did not know until today...

Cool. Would you mind mentioning the recovery rule? It might be something we've overlooked as well.

Ah' date=' okay. (Just out of curiousity: swinging it like a bat, or slamming it down like a folded chair?)[/quote']

Bat-style.

Cool. Would you mind mentioning the recovery rule? It might be something we've overlooked as well.

I never knew that you couldn't get a Recovery on the same segment you were Knocked Out on.

FREd pg 274, Column B, paragraph 5

Regardless of how severely the character has been Knocked Out, he cannot do anything except take a Recovery. He can take his first Recovery on his next full Phase (unless deeply unconcious; see below) at the end of the Segment (after all other characters who have a Phase that Segment have acted). However, he cannot take a Recovery in the Segment in which he was Knocked Out, even if he had a Phase that Segment which had not yet been used.

This mostly affected Sapphire, who spent several phases going "back and forth". Viperia knocked her into "down but not out" territory, she'd recover later in the same segment, only to repeat next phase... Interestingly I knew the second part of that rule (that the STUN and END only recovery at the end of the segment, not on the character's DEX).

Alrighty then! Now we'll be waiting for your review when you get time.

Oh, and because I forgot if was mentioned, were you just testing Viperia's disadvantage, or were you going to use this scenario in a game (such as background/news information)?

Now, hurry up and post it! :D