Viperia/Champions matchup: Define Witchcraft's VPP

TheEmerged

Okay, as per the discussion in this thread, I'm going to be running a matchup of Viperia against the Champions similar to the one I ran between Mechanon & said Champions.

However, to avoid any arguments of partiality here, I need someone else to define what Witchcraft's VPP looks like going into the fight. In fact, on closer examination I may need *two* builds.

See, at the start of the fight I'll be making appropriate KS & Deduction rolls for both sides -- so it's possible Witchcraft goes into the fight knowing Viperia's weakness to magic and with relation to END, and it's possible she doesn't.

I'm planning to run it Sunday or Monday.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Viperia/Champions matchup: Define Witchcraft's VPP

Hmmm. Just off my own deviousness (which may not be appropriate when applied to Witchcraft), if she knows Viperia's weakness, I'd make it a Succor or Aid to the Mental Illusions slot in the Multipower. Properly used, Mental Illusions is the best power to screw someone up, with even a simple illusion: "Everything is six feet to the right of where you percieve it" or, alternately, just pure blackness.

Personally, I like using her Spell of Vitality as a default setting. In my (limited, usually I'm GMing a playtest with her as a PC) experience, she's too prone to running out of END otherwise.

If she doesn't get that roll to know about Viperia's weakness until the fight is about to start, then she should be using her default. She needs her spellbooks to change the VPP, and I can't see Viperia agreeing to a 15 minute timeout while Witchcraft runs back to the V-Jet to get her backup tomes out of Storage Locker 84.

If she gets the roll with enough time to set her VPP ... you know, if it weren't for that darn Underconfidence disad, there's a whole lot more she could do. (I know, I know, that's why she's getting points for the disad.)

Since I don't think anyone is getting surprise, Images won't do much. I like it for surprise situations, though.

Using her VPP to whip up a Spell Of Puissance (naked Armor Piercing advantage for one of her other spells) is a double GM's permission only, so I'm assuming that's out. However, she could "double up" -- load a Witchfire spell into her VPP and fire both that and the one from her MP at once for 15 dice. (Technically, her Witchfire is half END cost, but I think she'd get more benefit from +6 dice with normal END than +4 with half END.)

Having run Witchcraft at Cons, I agree completely on the Spell Of Vitality. If she knows Viperia's vulnerabilities, I think she'd likely do the Mental Illusions thing CrosshairCollie recommended, except if I were GMing, she'd probably just get to add a number of dice rather than using the cumbersome Aid or Succor (sort of like one of Dr. Silverback's slots, the one that improves his Entangle).

I'm not too sure how well it'll work, but a Drain END 2d6 Ranged might be fun. Sucks an average of 20 END per hit with her Vulnerability, and it's still useful against other opponents. If she decides she wants to risk getting up close and personnal, it can be 3d6 and zap over 30 END on an average hit.

Other fun ideas might include a Drain SPD (or even a Suppress SPD). 2d6 and range will likely cost Viperia a point of SPD per hit, though 3d6 will only be 2/3 hits. Using Suppress, you can use a full 6d6 (Suppress is ranged) just hold down 3 points of SPD fo as long as Witchcraft keeps paying her 3 END per Phase. That could easily keep her vulnerable to other attacks with nearly half her actions gone.

Or, if she really wants to just take her down with a single hit... Suppress INT 6d6. An average will instantly reduce her to needing to make modified INT rolls just to think of something to do.

It's fun when you have a VPP and know your opponent is vulnerable to your SFX.

Nevermind. I just saw she has 20 Power Defense. That sucks...

What about a Suppress Power Defense... does that halving verses defenses occure before or after the defense is applied? It it's before, Witchcraft could theoretically put some limitation on her spells to get several to fit into her VPP and first Suppress fist, then Drain or Suppress other stuff...

The more I think of this though, it's probably if she just does something like make another teammate Invisible with one spell, and make Images to make other advasaries appear to be on the battlefield. Make Viperia use up some of her action Dodging attacks that couldn't her her anyway while getting pounded by sometthing she can't see.

Hmmm... Even if Bethany didn't make her deduction roll, a decent configuration for her if she knows she is going into a fight, is an Aid to Corrie's Flash (2D6 moved down two steps on the time chart), which should give Corrie a boost for a least a phase or two. Bethany should reconfigure the pool to a 1-Hex Darkness vs. the Hearing Sense Group at Reduced End. Corrie than should on her first action use her Flash. Spreading for at least 1D6 to get an OCV Bonus. On her first action Bethany should hit with the Darkness. Corrie, should probably, Haymaker her Flash every phase after that. After a couple of phases, Corrie should have built up enough extra Segments of Flash to be able to switch to a different Haymakered attack.

(Edit - Corrie's time is extremely important on the first hit, she would probably want to hold until the end of Segment one, before making her first shot.)

If the GM is generous enough to let Bethany get the Darkness vs. both Hearing and the Radio Group (Silence the voice heard and unheard), that combo could blind and keep blind a very large percentage of villains, since Sonar and Radar are the two most common back up targeting senses.

What about a Suppress Power Defense... does that halving verses defenses occure before or after the defense is applied? It it's before' date=' Witchcraft could theoretically put some limitation on her spells to get several to fit into her VPP and first Suppress fist, then Drain or Suppress other stuff...[/quote']

As I understand it, the Defense always comes off first in cases of a power that adjusts a defense.

40 pts of Suppress vs 20 Power Defense would therefore work like this

> 40-20 = 20 points of effect that gets through the power

> 20/2 = 10 points of adjustment actually done to Power Defense

> result is 10 points of PowDef remaining

Mental Illusion boosting isn't such a good idea, since Viperia isn't vulnerable to mental powers. The only mental attack that gets amplified is a straight Ego Blast. In addition, I can't really think of any offensive Adjustment ability worth buying, since even with the vulnerability, your not going to manage much against 20 Power Defense on only 30 AP.

My pick: sans any special awareness of vulnerability, the Spell of Vitality, perhaps combined with a limited extra defense spell so she can take a hit without automatically being KOed. If she realizes the suceptibility. . . Aid to the Witchfire would be my pick.

Okay, I think I've got it.

Witchcraft, as played by any munchkin, could do the following:

Befuddlement: Suppress INT 6d6 (30 Active); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), 2 Continuing Charges lasting 5 Minutes each (-1/2) Real Cost: 15

Enhancement: Succor Magic 4d6 any magic power one at a time (+1/4) (25 Active); 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Self Only (-1/2) Real Cost: 8

Astral Cloak: Invisibility to Sight Group and Normal Hearing (23 Active); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Only When Not Attacking (-1/2) Real Cost: 7

If the team is fortunate enough to ambush Viperia, it makes it all the easier. Otherwise, Witchcraft turns invisible on her first action. Other characters will defend her if needed, and will otherwise act defensively. As her teammates continue to dodge and block and stuff, Witchcraft will cast Enhancment On her Suppress INT. An average roll should yeild 14. If the first roll is lucky, she'll get 15+. It not, she can try again and hope with he second charge. Once her Suppress is boosted by 15+ points, she'll have a 9d6 Suppress INT. When she's ready, she shouts a code to her teammates. Each of them scrambles to Grab Viperia. As soon as one has a hold, Witchcraft becomes visible and attacks her with the Suppress. An average roll is about 31 (27 for Standard Effect). That gets upped to about 47 versus Viperia, with is enough to reduce her to making INT rolls for a full Turn just to take actions (only succeeding on a 9-, less than half the time and loosing over half her actions).

If the GM really wants to be lienient, he can allow a full 6d6 Succor to the Suppress, which will add an average of 4d6, and a really good roll will put Viperia at the point that she won't even the the INT rolls anymore.

So in any case it's a long shot and if it doesn't work, then only a few Phases wasted for the effort and they can start coordinating to just Stun her.

Then again...

Drowsy: EB 2d6, NND (FF; +1), Continuous (+1) (30 Active); 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/2) Real Cost: 20.

Doesn't look like much, but if it hits, that's 7 STUN per Phase, or 10 vs. Viperia, and 50 per Turn. If she can hit with just two of them...

Drowsy: EB 2d6, NND (FF; +1), Continuous (+1) (30 Active); 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/2) Real Cost: 20.

Doesn't look like much, but if it hits, that's 7 STUN per Phase, or 10 vs. Viperia, and 50 per Turn. If she can hit with just two of them...

I thought of a different munchkin trick.

Though if I was throwing Viperia at the players and expected them to win, I'd allow it as a "one shot trick" style power. Like you see on many TV shows where the heroes configure something fairly clever, but never seem to use that particular trick again.

Hmm, I suppose an uncontrolled, 0 End, penetrating End Drain might be a bit too munchkin... Though if Witchcraft did the research it might be ok... Might be an adventure just to get the right spell components.

True.

The truth of the matter is that there is nothing Witchcraft can do by herself that can munchkin her way into winning a fight against Viperia, or any other similarly powerful enemy. Sure, she could certainly prepare that one rare spell she'll probably never use again, but she need someone to hold the target still or else she'll miss, and she'll need someone else to keep her from being hit (either by distraction or my taking a hit for her) while she's casting. It's gotta be a team effort or else it's just no fun.

True.

The truth of the matter is that there is nothing Witchcraft can do by herself that can munchkin her way into winning a fight against Viperia, or any other similarly powerful enemy. Sure, she could certainly prepare that one rare spell she'll probably never use again, but she need someone to hold the target still or else she'll miss, and she'll need someone else to keep her from being hit (either by distraction or my taking a hit for her) while she's casting. It's gotta be a team effort or else it's just no fun.

Yep. I one time had a scenario in which I pitted an unstoppable force against the heroes. They won thru a series of various healing, shielding the healers, and putting a rather horrible power on the villian. A cumaltive killing attack that eventually built up and destroyed the villian, a robot so no actual death. Though out of 14 heroes, only three were standing at the end.

Totally made that chain of events in the story line different, but resulted in a much better story.

Nice idea' date=' but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to take Continuing Charges as a *limitation* on powers bought inside a VPP; you do those effects using Uncontrolled.[/quote']

Well, sure, if you want to use those points for something else later. With Charges, you loose them for the day, and don't get them back until the Charges would have recovered.

Even so, your getting all the benefits of Uncontrolled 0 END, while reducing the cost of the power.

If the sfx were "gadget pool," than yeah, it'd be perfectly reasonable and make sense. However, I have a *really* hard time swallowing it in the case of spells. Normal charges, yeah, but making them continuing is aquiring some major major advantages that are not being paid for.

Even so, your getting all the benefits of Uncontrolled 0 END, while reducing the cost of the power.

If the sfx were "gadget pool," than yeah, it'd be perfectly reasonable and make sense. However, I have a *really* hard time swallowing it in the case of spells. Normal charges, yeah, but making them continuing is aquiring some major major advantages that are not being paid for.

I don't see how SFX would make a difference. So what if it's technology or Magic. A plain old EB wouldn't be treated differently.

As for benefits. Yes, it's getting the benefit of an Uncontrolled 0 END Power. But in this particular case, it only has the benefit twice, and those points don't come back for a good long time. And in my opinion, as soon as those points are put into a Power with Charges, they're stuck for the day, whether or not those Charges are ever used. That just about makes up for any temporary advantage that comes with it.

Okay, I'd go with two options:

-If Witchcraft makes her ___ check to do better tactical assessment, she should realize that her biggest priority is keeping herself up. 20 PD Force Field, 0 END.

-If she blows the roll, she should default to the Spell of Vitality.

Just an update: right now it looks like I'll be running in Sunday night' date=' and right now I'm only seeing one stat'd out proposal. Unless I see something else, that's the one I'm going with.[/quote']

Do you mean mine? Oh please someone else come up with other ideas. I think my idea is really spiffy... but since when has a really spiffy idea actually worked? If it does, let me know.

Okay, I'd go with two options:

-If Witchcraft makes her ___ check to do better tactical assessment, she should realize that her biggest priority is keeping herself up. 20 PD Force Field, 0 END.

-If she blows the roll, she should default to the Spell of Vitality.

I'd go with a +10 PD FF, UBO up to 8 people at range, 0 END. She can protect the entire team that way.

Another option however:

Null Cloud: Darkness to Sight and Hearing Groups 1" radius, Usable As Attack (+1); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) Real Cost: 15

Ping Sense: Radar (Radio Group), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) Real Cost: 15

or

Ping Sense: Radar (Radio Group), Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) Real Cost: 15

To the best of my knowledge, Viperia can only target with Sight and Hearing. Following the same Grab tactic I mentioned above, Witchcraft can nail Viperia with the Null Cloud, depriving her of those senses. At the same time, Witchcraft can grant up to two people a radar like sense which will penetrate the cloud, allowing them to attack unhindered. This will mostly like be Ironclad and Nighthawk, as Defender and Sapphire can spread their EBs for a hex to get their hit. Then it's just a matter of weakening her before Witchcraft runs out of END to fuel the Null Cloud spell.

Ok, I hope this is in time. I didn’t realize that you wanted it statted out.

I changed my original idea some.

Wand of Silence Darkness 1Hex vs Hearing Group and Radio Group, +1 Usable as an Attack, +½ Reduced END (0 END), OAF (wand) Active 25/Real 12

This assumes that the GM would rule both groups as Non-targeting. If either or both groups are ruled Targeting, than drop the Radio Group, and the costs will either stay the same or go to 12/6 if Hearing Group is Non-Targeting.

Charm of Accuracy +2 CSL w/All OCV, +¾ Usable by up to 4 Others Active 17/Real 17

The strategy is pretty similar to what I suggested before, except that this is more general and can be used with a lot of other opponents. Sapphire and Ironclad should be two of the people to get the Charm of Accuracy. Witchfire and Sapphire should both try to hold back during the first phase, while Defender, Nighthawk and Ironclad attempt to draw the first attack. If Sapphire is not Stunned or otherwise incapacitated by Viperia on Phase 12, she should Haymaker her Sapphire Bolt (it should be a 16D6 Flash, which an average roll should Blind Viperia until segment 6). Witchfire should hold action until top of Phase 2 (after Sapphire’s Flash has gone off), and than use the Wand of Silence. If these two actions work, than Sapphire should use the Sapphire Bolt a few more phases to keep Viperia blind. I suspect that Viperia will try to stay out of range in this situation, and if she does, than Defender might try carrying Ironclad into range.

If Viperia has any agents as backup, than Nighthawk, Defender, and Kinetik (if there) should deal with them, until Ironclad needs Defender to get close to Viperia.

Reading the above, all I can say is that there are some people here who are both VERY devious and well-versed with Champions. Probably the people who make the GM bury his or her head into their hands and cries.

;)

I am a little surprised at using charges though on some of these powers. Once the charges are up, can you shift the points around and just get the same power again or are you forbidden from that spell for the rest of the day? With a VPP that doesn't require to be changed in a lab, it seems abusive though this wouldn't include WF since she needs to go to the Spellbook. Still... I'd probably not allow it in most circumstances. I'd have to look at it.

The "drowsy spell" is pretty cool. Nice thing to tag a villain with at the start of combat. Having a VPP can be SO nasty!