noob question about END

NPC Brown Cow

The question below was asked on another board, and it got me wondering, since I'm not sure of the correct answer my self, so I thought I'd post it here.

I don't have my books right in front of me this second and I can't remember the answer to this question. When spending END for a force field. does the person pay for every phase (all 12) or just the phases they act in to keep it up??

After looking at the book, my answer would be that the character would pay END every phase (all 12, if the power was on that long).

Someone else suggested that the character would only pay END for each phase that they could act.

So which is right?

-------------------

Humble noob awaits enlightenment.

Re: noob question about END

The question below was asked on another board, and it got me wondering, since I'm not sure of the correct answer my self, so I thought I'd post it here.

After looking at the book, my answer would be that the character would pay END every phase (all 12, if the power was on that long).

Someone else suggested that the character would only pay END for each phase that they could act.

So which is right?

-------------------

Humble noob awaits enlightenment.

You are confusing Segments and Phases.

There are 12 Segments. When a character gets an action, they have a Phase. Thus a character with a Speed of 4 has a Phase on Segments 3,6,9,12.

Thus if your FF using character had a SPD 4 they would spend END on their FF on their Phases in Segments 3,6,9,12.

There are 12 Segments. When a character gets an action, they have a Phase. Thus a character with a Speed of 4 has a Phase on Segments 3,6,9,12.

Thus if your FF using character had a SPD 4 they would spend END on their FF on their Phases in Segments 3,6,9,12.

KS nailed it in one (as usual).

The fact that a character with 8 SPD pays twice as much END for a constant power as a character with 4 SPD is one thing I find some new players have a bit of difficulty with. To some extent, this is a leveller from a game balance perspective, as high SPD carries very significant advantages as well.

Ok, thanks.

I don't know how many times I've read the Turn -> Segment -> Phase thing and it just didn't click. :o

This is what happens when you try to learn it straight from the book and don't have access to an existing HERO group to pester with questions. ;)

The Board provides a ready HERO group that can be called any time' date=' day or night. Don't hesitate to use it![/quote']I'll second that. Most of us wouldn't be the Hero System experts we are today if it wasn't for these boards. The rest of us would be Steve Long. :D

Thanks guys.

How about another noob question then. This time about damage.

I notice in 5th [i also have champions/4th/BBB] the damage class chart they list, for example:

DC: 2

Killing: 1/2d6, 1d6-1

Normal: 2d6

This kinda leaves me :confused:

1/2d6 = 1,2,3

1d6-1 = 1->5 [assuming a minumum of 1 damage]

So, how do you all handle 1/2d6?

------------------

A note: I'm comming over from GURPS [3rd] by the way, so I'm use to how damage rolls over under GURPS. It may just be a mental block on my part.

{GURPS: 1d6, 1d6+1, 1d6+2, 1d6+3, 2d6]

Thanks guys.

I notice in 5th [i also have champions/4th/BBB] the damage class chart they list, for example:

1/2d6 = 1,2,3

------------------

A note: I'm comming over from GURPS [3rd] by the way, so I'm use to how damage rolls over under GURPS. It may just be a mental block on my part.

GM's option. Every (3X-1) Damage Class can be resolved as (2X +1/2) or (3X-1). I prefer the half die, others prefer the -1.

Would it be blasphemy to suggest a d2 and a d4 for the other DC's?

Thanks guys.

1/2d6 = 1,2,3

------------------

I cant recall if it is stated or not, but personally I dont assume a minimum of 1 damage on 1d6-1; thus for me it is

1/2d6 = 1-3 (avg 2)

1d6-1 = 0-5 (avg 2.5)

1d6-1 is still better, but at least there is some impact.

Personally, I allow the 1d6-1 for 2 DC option even though it is more powerfurl because I have an irrational hatred of 1/2 dice.

I'll second that. Most of us wouldn't be the Hero System experts we are today if it wasn't for these boards. The rest of us would be Steve Long. :D

You forgot about the few of us who actually figured it out on our own and became experts, like my group who created our version of Hardened Defenses before H.D. became an official power and a few other things. :)

Oops, looks like I didn't explain clearly. :o

I meant "in general" how do you deal with 1/2 die, not just for DC 2.

Like do you just use the Xd-1, roll a d6 and divide by 2, use a flat adder like +3 [since that is the median {I think that's the word I want} of 1d6], or as dbsousa suggested use a d2/d4 in stead of the 1/2.

I cant recall if it is stated or not, but personally I dont assume a minimum of 1 damage on 1d6-1; thus for me it is

1/2d6 = 1-3 (avg 2)

1d6-1 = 0-5 (avg 2.5)

>snip<

My players would pitch a fit if they hit and did 0 damage. That's part of why I assume minimum of 1 damage.

Oops, looks like I didn't explain clearly. :o

I meant "in general" how do you deal with 1/2 die, not just for DC 2.

Like do you just use the Xd-1, roll a d6 and divide by 2, use a flat adder like +3 [since that is the median {I think that's the word I want} of 1d6], or as dbsousa suggested use a d2/d4 in stead of the 1/2.

This is in the book. For HERO purpose you read the face of a 1/2 die as: 1-2 = 1, 3-4 = 2, 5-6 = 3

You count Body on a 1/2 die of Normal Damage as: 1-3 = 0 BODY, 4-6 = 1 BODY.

My players would pitch a fit if they hit and did 0 damage. That's part of why I assume minimum of 1 damage.

Then have them use a 1/2 die.

The 1d6-1 is usually used on top of whole dice. So 8 DC could be 3d6-1, yeilding between 2 and 17. If I had an attack that only did 2 DC, 1) I wouldnt bother, and 2) I'd opt for a 1/2 die.

This is in the book. For HERO purpose you read the face of a 1/2 die as: 1-2 = 1, 3-4 = 2, 5-6 = 3

It is?

Something else I obviously didn't see. :slap:

Do have a page # on that?

You count Body on a 1/2 die of Normal Damage as: 1-3 = 0 BODY, 4-6 = 1 BODY.

I thought Normal damage was 1 = 0 Body; 2-5 = 1 Body; 6 = 2 Body

:confused:

You forgot about the few of us who actually figured it out on our own and became experts' date=' like my group who created our version of Hardened Defenses before H.D. became an official power and a few other things. :)[/quote']

You old schoolers are so spoiled. I had to grow up on Palladium, playing Heroes Unlimited and Rifts. Although technically I've written for them...

The rest of us had to get a fresh start with 3rd or 4th, when the system looked like it was steady and stable but had LOTS of inconsistancies an everyone had their own kludge to solve them.

It is?

Something else I obviously didn't see. :slap:

Do have a page # on that?

I thought Normal damage was 1 = 0 Body; 2-5 = 1 Body; 6 = 2 Body

:confused:

For a FULL die it is. For a HALF die its 1-3 = 0, 4+ = 1

I dont have a page number for you -- Im at work and dont have a book handy.

------------------

I use the 1/2d6... as other's have mentioned. I typically roll a different sized or different colored die for the half in those cases.

A quick point you may or may not have noticed... how much BODY does a 1/2 die do when rolling normal damage? I'm actually not sure, because I don't remember where, if at all, FREd covers it (no book until player brings it back). Off the top of my head I think it's a 1-4 = 0 BODY, 5-6 = 1 BODY (or 1-2 = 1 STUN, 0 BODY; 3-4 = 2 STUN, 0 BODY; 5-6 = 3 STUN, 1 BODY). Though it might be cut down the middle (1-3 = 0, 4-6 = 1).

It's on page 270 of H5E' date=' or page 404 of 5ER. :)[/quote']

Ay, Ya. :stupid:

There it is.

1/2 die damage

Stun = Face value devided by 2 rounded up. [or multiplyed by 1/2 and rounded up]

Body = 1 damage on a roll of 4, 5, or 6

-----

I think I'm going to stop asking questions now and re-read the book, like a dozen times.

Maybe it'll sink in by then :think: