Robots and more robots

Tech

I've heard alot about how people view Dr. Destroyer and the various power levels GM's play him at. I thought I'd throw out one of the robots Destroyer's created. The players groan when they see this one. It's still in pre-5th edition rules so I'm not putting down the costs. Of course, I intend to update this to 5th edition. This 'robot' is more of an android but hey, so what. Although it's primary purpose to to guard, it has also been used as a tank. The picture I used was from an old 'The Avengers' comic. It's the issue where Ultron has sent a robot to Henry Pym's lab to acquire Ad Resin X and Ad Resin Y, the Wasp meeting it during the night. If anyone knows what issue I'm talking about, would you be so kind as to post that picture.

GUARDIAN DRONE
80 Str	 DISADVANTAGES
20 Dex	 Distinctive Features
48 Con	 2x BODY - Energy Blasts
20 Body  1 1/2x BODY - Physical attacks
30 Int	 2x BODY - Electricity
20 Ego	 No sense of Smell
30 Pre	 2d6 Stun/Phase - Magnetics
4 Com	 3d6 Unluck
35 PD	 Hunted by Hero Group 8-
35 ED	 Experience pts/Villain Bonus
5 Spd
24 Rec
96 End
80 Stun

MULTIPOWER
u. 16d6 EB at 1/2 End
u. 6d6, 6 Def Entangle, 6" rad, 1 cha.
u. 8d6, 8 Def Entange, 4 cha
u. Stretching 8" at 0 End
u. Tunneling 14", 15 Def at 1/2 End
u. 6d6 AP EB, 10 pts Resistant Piercing at 1/2 End
(From Champions 2, subtract your ED by 10 pts before halving. 
The resistant aspect of it means that even Resistant defenses are 
affected.)
Damage Resistance 18 PD, 18 ED
Full Life Support
Sonar
Power Defense 7 pts
Lack of Weakness 5 pts
Flash Defense 5 pts
5 Lvls with Grab
3 Lvls with Punch
2 Lvls with Multipower

Re: Robots and more robots

His offense is rough, but his defense confuses me. He takes increased BODY from physical attacks and "energy blasts"... ?

If "energy blasts" is the SFX (like a laser, plasma beam, electric bolt), then he's really hurt by energy AND physical attacks. If "energy blasts" is the game term (not how I do Disadvantages, but whatever), then a slingshot defined as an EB against physical defenses gives 3x BODY - ?

I'm sure that isn't what's going on here. Still, seems like he's vulnerable to most everything - why not just reduce his BODY?

Oh - and that's one really smart android! Do any of them figure that serving Dr D is a quick way to death & leave?

His offense is rough, but his defense confuses me. He takes increased BODY from physical attacks and "energy blasts"... ?

If "energy blasts" is the SFX (like a laser, plasma beam, electric bolt), then he's really hurt by energy AND physical attacks. If "energy blasts" is the game term (not how I do Disadvantages, but whatever), then a slingshot defined as an EB against physical defenses gives 3x BODY - ?

I'm sure that isn't what's going on here. Still, seems like he's vulnerable to most everything - why not just reduce his BODY?

Oh - and that's one really smart android! Do any of them figure that serving Dr D is a quick way to death & leave?

I didn't say it was perfect. The point of the disadvantages was to ensure that it's possible that a Haymaker could cause BODY to it. Any Energy Blast would likewise be more likely to damage it. Lowering it's defenses would make it take more Stun damage. The high BODY takes care of things such as it being dropped in acid, which according to Champions II, is a NND EB which did BODY. We still use this in our campaign. The rewrite of it will change how this robot is written anyways. The robot's high INT enables it to outthink superheros. Although not written down, it's loyal to Destroyer. Again, it's not perfect but it's a GM tool and it really only matters to me.

As the quote goes, "As long as it works."

I don't have the issue to scan it, but I think this was from around Avengers 201, right? The one with Jarvis on the cover? Or somewhere near there...

Anyway, if I remember correctly the robot actually reminded me of a GoBot. Or am I confusing my issues again (literally this time)?

Does anyone else have robots/androids that they've created for villains, other than what Hero Games has created? I'm sure some of you have written up stats for robots Mechanon may have created. What self-respecting megalomaniac wouldn't have mechanical slaves assisting him or her in the quest for world domination or at least, a robot to be sent out for the weekly junkfood binge for the agents.

Vision is the evil android whose programming was made to destroy all mutants.

I have used a robot who is called Bender and is the same look as in Futurama. And he bends stuff.

Mocker is a robot who thinks he's human; he's Mocker from V&V as far as looks, but his powers, aside from being very tough (after all, he's a robot), primarily relate to sucking EGO out of people.

PS - would have to look up stats later.

My robot building mastermind tended to rely on numbers rather than invincibility in his minions.

Make em automatons and give them enough rDEF (usually about 8-10) to be immune to normal agent weapons and super's AoE attacks. Give them enough DCV to not be highly sweepable. Then just add weapons. AoE Hex NNDs were good, because the bots didnt have to have a massive OCV to hit anything that way. (program their fighting tactics such that enough of them hold action on any given phase to allow 1/12 the total number of bots to fire each segment. Dive for cover doesnt work nearly as well then! Also, have most of them concentrate fire on one opponent til they go down, then switch, not split up evenly such that no one opponent is taking enough damage to go down)