Post your Cybernetics!

NuSoardGraphite

Re: Post your Cybernetics!

Cyberarm Modification:

+10STR(10) 0End(+1/2) 15pts

--No figured Characteristics (-1/2) Cybernetic [restrainable] (-1/2) Left Arm and hand only (-1 1/2) Side Effects: Major, X2 all the time (-1) Real: 3pts

+5DEX(15) 15pts

--No figured Characteristics (-1/2) Cybernetic (-1/2) Left Arm and hand only (-1 1/2) Side Effects: Major, X2 all the time (-1) Real: 3pts

+2Pd/Ed Armor (6) Invisible to sight (+1/2) 9pts

--Left Arm and hand only (-1 1/2) Side Effects: Major, X2 all the time (-1) Mass (-1) Real: 2pts

Total cost 8pts.

This is a basic combat-worthy cyberarm that adds 10 to Strength and +5 to the cyborgs Dex when using that specific arm. It is lightly armored to protect it from damage, but not so heavily armored that it appears abnormal at a casual glance. The user gets enhanced damage and lifting capacity when using the arm and increased OCV when using the arm to attack or block. (however it does not increase DCV at all. Get Cyberlegs for that)

The Cybernetic limitation represents its weakness vs EMP and electronic interfearance. In FREd, it recommended such things as Cyberlimbs be based on a -1/4 limitation, however in Cyberpunk and Space Opera settings where cyberlims are extremely common, anti-cyborg devices will also be common enough that this should get the full -1/2 value.

The Left and and hand only limitation I based on my post above. This limitation signifies that the bonuses only apply when the left arm and/or hand is in use. Any weapon being used in the left hand takes advantage of the STR and DEX bonuses. However, the DEX bonuses does not increase DCV at all, because the arm has no bearing on your ability to dodge attacks. Should that be an additional limitation?

The Side Effects limitation has been lifted from the old 4th edition CyberHero and is used here to represent C.I.R.S. (Cyber Implant Rejection Syndrome) or Cyberpsychosis (from Cyberpunk) or Essense loss (from Shadowrun). The Side Effect is written up as Mind Control. Specifically the greater the level of Mind Control, the more cold and distant and inhumane the character will become until at the Ego+30 level, they will become Psychotic, as per a Cyberpunk "Cyberpsycho".

This Side Effect limitation is handled just a little bit differently from the standard text in FREd. Basically, you add in the Active points of the Cybermod based on the Side Effect limitation (Minor = 1/4 Active points, Major = 1/2 Active points and Extrem = full active points) and total them together. This will be the total active points of the Mind Control that affects the cyborg. For example, with the above Cyberlimb, a character would attain 19.5 active points worth of Mind Control, or 4D6 worth.

Whenever the character wakes up to begin his/her day, a Mind control roll is made to determine her "outlook" for the day.

The Mind control roll is also made during times of Stress, such as extreme combat, or seeing a loved one hurt etc.

EGO+: Character is cold and distant and seems introverted.

EGO+10: Character is very cold and emotionless. May become violent if provoked.

EGO+20: Character is manic depressive. At this level the character can be considered a mild psychopath and will commit violent acts with little provocation.

EGO+30: Character is completely psychotic and has no respect for life at all. Friends and family are not even safe at this level.

The character gets an EGO roll to avoid the behavior as normal under the Mind Control rules. If the character fails the Ego roll, he may make another one at a dramatically appropriate moment decided by the GM (such as when a comrade tries to talk the character down or something like that) or at the end of the day when the character goes to sleep (assuming he does).

Normal Mental Defense does not protect against this Side Effect (as normal) however some GM's may wish to allow characters to develop Mental Defense specifically for this purpose through Psychiatric sessions to help the character deal with his cybernization, or through the use of Drugs to balance the characters hormones and endorphines.

This is sort of a GM control collar on cybernetic characters to keep them in line, if you will. No player wants to lose control over their character during gameplay, so this should keep most characters cybernetics light. Characters who want their player Cyber-heavy will have to spend gobs of their hard-earned credits or Euros on expensive Psychiatrists and drug treatments. :sneaky:

My thinking on cybernetic limbs is to allow a player to build parts of his body as an Automaton. Create a new power for non-automaton characters called something like "Automaton Limbs" and has a base cost of 10 Character Points.

Automaton Limbs: 10 Pts.

2x Limbs:+5 Pts.

CANNOT BE STUNNED: +5 Pts.

DOES NOT BLEED: +5 Pts.

TAKES NO STUN (but loses abilities): +5 Pts.

TAKES NO STUN (BODY only): +10 Pts.

:think:

In a heroic game (using Hit Locations/Optional Effects of Damage rules), having a cyberlimb is an advantage even without any special enchantments such as strength. For instance, a character takes a 24 BODY hit to their cyberarm from a disintegrater cannon. Normally, such a grievous wound would take off the arm and the character would bleed to death if left untreated, but no, the character has a cyberarm, applying the "Special Effects" of the Optional Damage Rules seems wrong in this case. How can the destruction of a character's artificial limb reasonably (by the Special Effects) do damage to the rest of the character or even result in characters death (by optional rules)? To me, the Special Effects of a cybernetic limb should take separate damage from that of the character but under the normal rules they don't. When the situation comes up, the GM will have to either rationalize why a character dies from having his cyberarm blown-off (very weak) or house rule it "that the damage to cyberlimbs is immune to Optional Damage Effects of damage." Moreover, a character with a cyberlimb, would have other advantages such as immunity to contact poisons and the like. In a heroic level game, a character with a cyberlimb, has a greater advantage to those characters who don't. In a Star Hero game using cybernetics, a cybernetic arm or leg seem somewhat cheap when looking at the Special Effects of taking damage to cyberlimb locations. The costs of these devices only seem to reflect the advantages of their Characteristic enhancements but not the any of the other Special Effects of having automaton limbs would involve. It seems to me, when players get wind of the cost/advantage ratio of having cyberlimbs, everyone will be buying them.

:think:

• 1 month later...

A.C.I.D. ( Acidic Cannon of Internal Design)

A.C.I.D. is an elaborate and ill-thought out idea. It harnesses and concentrates the users' stomach-acids and projects them through a reinforced chest catheter which funnels the acids through a cannon that bursts out of the firer's stomach and hopefully douses the targets with an acidic spray. Although it has plenty of surprise-potential, A.C.I.D. has not been perfected and tends to ruin the clothes and digestive systems of its users, probably limiting its potential as the "Derringer Of The Cyber-Age".

17real pt. cost: 1) A.C.I.D. ( Acidic Cannon of Internal Design): RKA 3d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Area Of Effect Nonselective (14" Cone; +3/4) (101 Active Points); 3 Charges which Recover every 1 Week (-1 3/4), Activation Roll 13-, Jammed (-1 1/4), Side Effects (2d6 killing attack NND; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), Gradual Effect (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1/4), Inaccurate 1/2 OCV (-1/4), Restrainable (Removed by cyber-surgery ; -1/4)

9 2) Stomach-Reinforced Armor: Armor (8 PD/8 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (30 Active Points); Activation Roll 8- (covers Hit Locations: 12-13) (-2), Restrainable (Removed by cyber-surgery ; -1/4)

Long time ago, a player in a CyberPunk game actually wanted something like this.

Total real cost: 26 pts.

Off topic and pretty late I know, but that's just gross! In a funny, cartoon sci-fi attack kind of way, but still gross. I rep you.

• 6 years later...

Nano-Tech Injection: Major Transform 1d6 (dead soldiers into rations and ammo, another application of this power (nanotech neutralizer)) (15 Active Points); Gradual Effect (6 Hours; -1 1/2), No Range (-1/2)

Soldiers are given an injection of nano-robots. As long as the soldier remains alive, they are harmless. Once he is killed, the robots go into action, scavenging his corpse for raw materials to transform into rations and ammo for his fellow soldiers.

When I first read this, I thought that the nanites was going to turn the dead soliders into a type of zombie, something like Universal Solider.

Ninjas and Superspies and Heroes Unlimited were some of the first RPG's I bought that extensively covered cybernetics. The very first game I had that covered Cybernetics was Gamma World I think (the 3rd edition) which came out back when I was in high school. I'm not sure but it might have also been covered in Villains and Vigilantes as well. It's been a long time since I seen that game (the first superhero game I ever played back in high school) so I don't really remember.

• 2 weeks later...

cirs?

Cyber Implant Rejection Syndrome. The CyberHero/Spacemaster equivalent to Cyberpsychosis (cyberpunk) or zero Essence (Shadowrun) which turns a cyborg into a psychotic lunatic, or some variation thereabouts.

In CyberHero it was done as a Side Effect on all Cyber implants. It was treated as a Mental Transform and when the Transform "Body" reached a threshold (2 times the characters EGO) the character became a Cyber Psycho. The Mental Transform was rolled during times of stress or moments of intense emotion. It recovered normally, so as long as the character stayed away from drama regularly they should be okay. The amount of Transform dice rolled was based on the total Active Points of all the cybernetics in the characters system. A typical Street Samurai was pretty much always on the cusp of going "Cycho" at any moment...

Cyber Implant Rejection Syndrome. The CyberHero/Spacemaster equivalent to Cyberpsychosis (cyberpunk) or zero Essence (Shadowrun) which turns a cyborg into a psychotic lunatic, or some variation thereabouts.

In CyberHero it was done as a Side Effect on all Cyber implants. It was treated as a Mental Transform and when the Transform "Body" reached a threshold (2 times the characters EGO) the character became a Cyber Psycho. The Mental Transform was rolled during times of stress or moments of intense emotion. It recovered normally, so as long as the character stayed away from drama regularly they should be okay. The amount of Transform dice rolled was based on the total Active Points of all the cybernetics in the characters system. A typical Street Samurai was pretty much always on the cusp of going "Cycho" at any moment...

Yeah, I recall that now. I thought it was too heavy-handed and also only simulated one small subset of cyberpunk. Kazei 5 discusses it, but doesn't make it a mandatory part of the process.

Yeah' date=' I recall that now. I thought it was too heavy-handed and also only simulated one small subset of cyberpunk. [i']Kazei 5[/i] discusses it, but doesn't make it a mandatory part of the process.

I made a mistake. It's not Transform (thats to turn to the Darkside!) It uses Mind Control, but has a similar effect.