Fifth Edition Villains

stomper

When running a game and juggling a multitude of agents, Villains, robots, and NPC's, it was always easy because stats were always provided on one page for easy copying. The way the characters are presented in the fifth edition books is a bit cumbersome the way they are spread out on two or more pages. I don't know if anyone else out there has found this to be a hassle when doing your prep work, but I for one would appreciate Hero Games to take this into account when doing the layouts for future material.

Re: Fifth Edition Villains

When running a game and juggling a multitude of agents' date=' Villains, robots, and NPC's, it was always easy because stats were always provided on one page for easy copying. The way the characters are presented in the fifth edition books is a bit cumbersome the way they are spread out on two or more pages. I don't know if anyone else out there has found this to be a hassle when doing your prep work, but I for one would appreciate Hero Games to take this into account when doing the layouts for future material.[/quote'] Sadly, this has been brought up to DOJ and apparently hasn't been acted upon.

Well, I usually punch my villains into Hero Designer and print them up on a 1-page character sheet, then put them in a file folder for safekeeping and later recall (so I don't have to reprint them every time they appear).

If you don't have HD, I would just make a very abbreviated sheet on paper or a word processor; just put down what the stats/powers/etc are, and forget the points. For example, lemme flip open my CKC to a random page ...

RADIUM

STR 10 SKILLS, PERKS, TALENTS

DEX 23 ....

(stats continue) ....

POWERS

60pt MP

a)12d6 EB

B) 9d6 EB + 1d6 CON Drain

and then relevant disads (Vulnerabilities, Psych Lims, Enrageds). No point totals, since for GMs, as they say on Whose Line Is It Anyway, the points don't matter. Just like what your girlfriend says during the Super Bowl, it just doesn't matter. :)

I actually put them into HD also, but for another reason; My concentration sucks. If I sit and read a character I remember very little of it later. If I copy all the stuff I'm more actively thinking about it and I make better mental note of details.

But I think the layouts work. I have no problem following them. And I'm not sure it's in Hero's best interest to make things easy to photocopy (outside the character sheet).

I actually put them into HD also, but for another reason; My concentration sucks. If I sit and read a character I remember very little of it later. If I copy all the stuff I'm more actively thinking about it and I make better mental note of details.

But I think the layouts work. I have no problem following them. And I'm not sure it's in Hero's best interest to make things easy to photocopy (outside the character sheet).

I think DOJ is unbelievably paranoid if they are worried about someone passing around supervillains they've photocopied.

I'd also like to see less detail on background info' date=' etc. for Hero character[/color']

layouts. Although I think the expanded info was a worthwhile experiment, I'd

rather see the space used for inclusion of extra characters.

Are you using white type on a white background for a reason, or do you just like to make us all nuts? :)

I would say the only think I really don't like about the new character layout is how each aspect must include all the limitations. If you have a 10 slot multipower then 10 times you must see OIF, 14- Activation, bla, bla, bla. Those things seem like a monumental waste of space to me. I'd much rather go back to the # = OIF mark on the sheets. Took up less space and got the point across.

When running a game and juggling a multitude of agents' date=' Villains, robots, and NPC's, it was always easy because stats were always provided on one page for easy copying. The way the characters are presented in the fifth edition books is a bit cumbersome the way they are spread out on two or more pages. I don't know if anyone else out there has found this to be a hassle when doing your prep work, but I for one would appreciate Hero Games to take this into account when doing the layouts for future material.[/quote']

Never bothered me... even prior to 5E, since 90% of the time I make at least a few edits to all published characters. Sometimes it is to make them different for players that have the books, sometimes to fit the campaign levels better (or give the character experience, etc).

Remember, GMs, it is your game, so make the published characters yours. :king:

HD is the way to go, since you can format 'em about any way you like.

]I'd also like to see less detail on background info' date=' etc. for Hero character[/color']

layouts. Although I think the expanded info was a worthwhile experiment, I'd

rather see the space used for inclusion of extra characters.

To me the background is the really important stuff. The stats are just away of expressing that kind of think in game terms. I'd much rather have fewer more fleshed out villains.

And how many pre-written villains do you really need?

[/color]

To me the background is the really important stuff. The stats are just away of expressing that kind of think in game terms. I'd much rather have fewer more fleshed out villains.

Depends on how efficient the heroes are at catching villians (or killing them?:angst:). The more turn over, the more villains you'll need... and making good villains takes a lot of time, even though it is perhaps one of the most entertaining parts of the system (character generation, that is).

Depends on how efficient the heroes are at catching villians (or killing them?:angst:). The more turn over' date=' the more villains you'll need... and making good villains takes a lot of time, even though it is perhaps one of the most entertaining parts of the system (character generation, that is).[/quote']

And I guess it depends on how much emphasis there is on combat in the game and other things. I also have to admit to often not doing much more for a lot of villains than scratching down a few relevant stats and powers and leaving it at that. Because I have created them, I know all the background stuff in my head and that, as I say, is really what is important.

[/color]

I don't think you can ever have enough pre-gen villains, especially in regards to varying power-levels and themes.

Don't get me wrong, I think background, etc. is important, but I'd just rather see some of the space used for more character write-ups(especially since a lot of the background stuff tends to get tailored to the campaign world anyway).

To be fair, most sheets will probably be longer anyways due to the sheer number of talents/skills/etc that were not available before.

The average character takes up about two pages, maybe getting it down to a page and a half might work.