Runes... two types!

Jkeown

Ynai, the Kythrosian Rune of consisting of the conjoined symbols of Yai (Fire) and Nai (Air), can be activated in one of two ways. Enduring, whereby the rune is carved into a specially-prepared stone of Eogann and Fleeting, whereby the rune is painted onto a surface with pigments containing powdered Eogann and Elemental Water. In either case, waves of power will pulse continuously from the mark until either is defaced. The area in front of the Rune will show evidence of the rune at a distance of (active pointsx5) scale inches. Placed at the end of a long hallway, the rune makes effective security against all the but the most powerful wizards.

Ynai - Enduring Rune of Blasting: EB 8d6, Usable By Other (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Continuous (+1) (130 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, Lasts until marred.; -1 1/2), OAF (Runestone; -1), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) Real Cost: 32

Ynai - Fleeting Rune of Blasting: EB 6d6, Usable By Other (+1/4), Uncontrolled (Lasts until marred or wiped away; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Continuous (+1) (97 Active Points); OAF (Runestone; -1), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) Real Cost: 32

House Rule discussion! Would you allow a caster to know both versions of this spell for the same 32 points? Personally, I intend to allow it, because its so very flavorful, but I'm sure others have opinions...

Re: Runes... two types!

Making it into a multipower would only cost a few more points, and would satisfy even the most staunch traditionalist.

Paying 32 points for two versions of the same spell is still more expensive than the Turakian Age standard of division by 3, so that shouldn't be any more unbalancing (less so actually).

The issue I see is whether other spells have multiple free versions. If not, this spell has more bang for the buck than other 32 point spells, or even conceivably, other 40 or 50 point spells.

Re: Runes... two types!

I would say tentatively yes, but I would probably require more limitations (bulky!) on engraving a permanent runestone (if this was setting the standard for other types of runestones). Otherwise, why not always carry one and if you found someone you didn't like someone, "Hey! Look at this!"

I'm also assuming the rune has to be triggered, since I can't picture the permanent one being always on. :shock: If it is always on, the limit should be much smaller.