Dorian Gray

Guest The Comet

Guest The Comet

After watching the first few minutes of LXG I decided my time would be better spent whipping myself for past misdeeds rather than suffer any more of it. It did, however have an intruiging character in it. Dorian Gray (spelling?) Anyway I understand he is immortal and his imortality is linked to a portrait of him that grow old instead of him. Appart from that, thats about all I know. Anyone have any info on him? Maybe a character writeup.

Not sure if this query belongs in Champions genre but he seemed like a "Gaslight" superhero to me.

Re: Dorian Gray

After watching the first few minutes of LXG I decided my time would be better spent whipping myself for past misdeeds rather than suffer any more of it. It did, however have an intruiging character in it. Dorian Gray (spelling?) Anyway I understand he is immortal and his imortality is linked to a portrait of him that grow old instead of him. Appart from that, thats about all I know. Anyone have any info on him? Maybe a character writeup.

Not sure if this query belongs in Champions genre but he seemed like a "Gaslight" superhero to me.

The character orignally comes from a novel by Oscar Wilde called The Picture of Dorian Gray. Basically, Dorian as a portriat done, and laments for a moment that as he ages, he portrait will always remain the same, showing him as youthful and innocent. He makes a frivious with that the portrait would age and become corrupt while he remains young and innocent. His wish comes true.

The story ends after a life of hedonism and sensuality, when he is finally confronted with his portrait, the image of which drives him mad.

In the novel, he's not unkillable, just immortal and innocent (in that he can kill and act without remorse or guilt or even a change in his viewpoint of the world around him). Viewing his picture doesn't kill him, but the realization of what he's done does. At least if I recall correctly. Been a long time since Sophmore English.

Guest Champsguy

I can't pull up McCoy's thread for some reason. If I was building him, I'd make the picture the character. The "person" is just TK with some Images thrown in, and Clairsentience so the pic can see what is going on.

The "person" is just TK with some Images thrown in' date=' and Clairsentience so the pic can see what is going on.[/quote']

Or perhaps the "person" is a duplication that can't merge? This way, if the picture is destroyed, so is DG, but if DG is destroyed, the picture still remains. Hmm....

Life support vs Aging, with an Inobvious Accessible Focus?

Of course, if the painting were a focus, he'd have to carry it around with him, technically. And this wouldnt handle the "remaining innocent" bit. But its a lot chaper than global TK/Images/Clairsentience.

In the movie, DG has the full immortality suite: he isn't just ageless, he quickly regenerates damage. So:

Full Life Support, plus Regeneration with Can Heal Limbs and Resurrection. Probably also Damage Reduction and/or high Defenses, CON, REC, and STUN (Chars as Powers), since he doesn't look to be heavily incapacitated while he regenerates. Everything with the "Stops working if the portrait is destroyed" Limited Power Limitation (probably -2, since it's functionally equivalent to Independent). You might technically use Independent, but then everyone getting the portrait should get the powers, or OAF, Fragile, Bulky, Extremely Difficult to Recover (but then DG should carry with him always, which isn't the case). Generous GM might let all the "portrait immortality" power suite be included in EC, since they are tightly linked by special effect and if one is drained, so they are all.

Guest Champsguy

Or perhaps the "person" is a duplication that can't merge? This way' date=' if the picture is destroyed, so is DG, but if DG is destroyed, the picture still remains. Hmm....[/quote']

Well, in the movie, the body wasn't getting destroyed at all. So that's why I went with that.

In the movie, DG has the full immortality suite: he isn't just ageless, he quickly regenerates damage. So:

Full Life Support, plus Regeneration with Can Heal Limbs and Resurrection. Probably also Damage Reduction and/or high Defenses, CON, REC, and STUN (Chars as Powers), since he doesn't look to be heavily incapacitated while he regenerates. Everything with the "Stops working if the portrait is destroyed" Limited Power Limitation (probably -2, since it's functionally equivalent to Independent). You might technically use Independent, but then everyone getting the portrait should get the powers, or OAF, Fragile, Bulky, Extremely Difficult to Recover (but then DG should carry with him always, which isn't the case). Generous GM might let all the "portrait immortality" power suite be included in EC, since they are tightly linked by special effect and if one is drained, so they are all.

I wouldn't toss in any such Limitations, as they aren't that much of a drawback. If they were, he'd make a good one shot villain, but that's about it. As a recurring villain, with the picture locked away in a vault someplace where knowone even knows it's there or the source of his powers, I'd just make the destruction of the painting the method of stopping his ressurection, and give him a BIG Susceptibility to seeing his own painting.

I wouldn't toss in any such Limitations' date=' as they aren't that much of a drawback. If they were, he'd make a good one shot villain, but that's about it. As a recurring villain, with the picture locked away in a vault someplace where knowone even knows it's there or the source of his powers, I'd just make the destruction of the painting the method of stopping his ressurection, and give him a BIG Susceptibility to seeing his own painting.[/quote']

As a matter of fact, I mentioned both Independent and OAF as possible mostly technically correct ways that still don't cut it. But "Stops Working if Portrait is Destroyed" Limited Power on all his powers is valid. Because Regeneration would have this limitation, mentioning portrait destruction as the stop condition for Resurrection is kind of redundant but harmless additional detail. You are right about Susceptibility: portrait destruction doesn't just stop defense/regenerarion/LS powers, he has him withering and crumbling to dust within moments in pure Hollywood vampire fasion. Therefore: Susceptibility (x2): 3d6 Stun AND 3d6 Body, every Segment, Uncommon (Destruction of Portrait)