Need help with character build using multiform

megaplayboy

I'm writing up a character who "evolves" under the stress of combat conditions, becoming progressively more powerful and developing new capabilities with each new progression. I had in mind to do it as a multiform writeup, with the following strictures:

1. each form is progressively more powerful(i.e., built on more points)

2. each stage is progressively harder to attain(takes more time in combat, harsher conditionals,etc.), and no stage can be skipped.

3. each stage beyond the 2nd has an increasingly limited duration(from a few hours down to about a turn at the highest stage).

1st question: how do I build this, generally?

2nd question: do I subtract the multiform point cost from the points available to each form(and if I do, then I have to recalc the costs so they can afford everything? ugh.)

Re: Need help with character build using multiform

I don't know if Multiform is your best bet there ... I'd go with Aid myself. To do the Multiform, I'd build the most powerful first and scale down from there. Each multiform needs to be paid for individually.

I don't know if Multiform is your best bet there ... I'd go with Aid myself. To do the Multiform' date=' I'd build the most powerful first and scale down from there. Each multiform needs to be paid for individually.[/quote']

The problem with Aid is, one, the variability(though I suppose one could take standard effect); two, the need to buy the end cost down to 0, and the return rate up for the first couple forms--a 5d6 aid to all(standard effect: 15 points), 0 end, 2 levels delayed return is 200 active points! And, of course, the character picks up new abilities at each stage, and aid really doesn't simulate that well.

The most powerful form is the one he's least likely to attain regularly, and the weakest is his "base" state.

You Base form is say 350pts.? That would be your most powerful form.

Multiform; x5(6) 325pt. Alternate Forms, Limitations: Total [-2], 75 Active Points/25 Real Points).

Base Form (350pt. minus 25pts. for Multiform): Aids, Transfers, & Variable Power Pool

1st Alternate 325pt. Form: Energy Projector & Manipulator

2nd Alternate 325pt. Form: FlyerMentalist

3rd Alternate 325pt. Form: Brick

4th Alternate 325pt. Form: Speedster

5th Alternate 325pt. Form: Martial Artist

The best option would to create said character with Aids, Transfers, and etc... That feed into say Energy Blast, Force Field, Flight, etc...

A "Adaptive Defense" 30pt. Variable Power Pools plus Control Pool, Using Limitations like Self Only [-1/2], Defensive Powers Only [-1/4], Only if Character has survived an attack by said power[-0]

Keep in mind that "Adaptive Defensive" Powers are generally frowned upon. If you Limited it enough though a GM might allow it.

Cheers

QM

P.S.: Ask Steve Long

I would build the most expensive form first, and build Multiform only for the second-most expensive. I would put Limited Power: Power triggers every post-segment 12 (or whatever). Make this a -2 lim since it's basically the same as No Concious Control, but possibly more severe.

Then the next-most, with Multiform with the same lim, but make a larger timeframe (say, a couple minutes, whatever). This lim should be smaller due to the longer duration. Maybe a -1.5.

Also give this secondary form a strict Accidental Change to the top form as a disadvantage. I would value this as a flat 5 point disad, since this is the only way he can "evolve", and it's beneficial for him to evolve in this way almost all of the time. The reason I simulate this as a disad is since the Multiform power technically does not belong to the character changing, and he is not in control of the change.

You can "step down" in this manner to the base form, which is a Multiform of the second-least-powerful form.

If you wanted to be very clever, the Real Point value of each character incarnation could be worth the same number of points. That is, active points/lims.

The problem Im seeing though, with the above examples, is that his "final form" isnt really going to be any more powerful than a character who just spent their points normally.

In this case, he has the limitation that he cannot access his "most powerful" form unless he goes through several rounds of combat, been beaten thouroughly, etc etc etc...and in the end, he really doesnt get any major bonuses because the points he gets on the Lim. seem to just go right back into making this trick multiform character. A character who just buys a large bruiser with his full points will be just as powerful, and WONT have to sit through many annoying flashy transformation scenes.

Id say buy a ton of abilites and stats, and make a special form of the Gradual Effect, only to activate the first time, yet scale it to reflect the different forms.

Meh...Im not sure. Nice concept though...*cough DBZ* :lol:

Well, I had written it up before as a set of "lists" of adds to different stats and powers, all on one character sheet. My only problem doing it that way was that the sheet got a bit "messy" and long. I like the multiform idea because then each stage has its own sheet and is easier to read.

Yes, it does have a DBZ-esque feel to it. The character's name is Overman, and "whatever does not kill me makes me stronger" is kind of the operative concept here ;)

Multi-form does seem to be more orderly, however I still dont see the advantage in doing it this way.

From my point of view, your character wont end up any stronger than a normal character that just buys powers and abilities, BUT he'll have to sit through many rounds of combat and get the snot kicked out of him for a few rounds in order to use the powers....Unless that is you're buying multi-form

ABOVE your characters starting points, in which case that might be worth it (and totally GM subjective)

Multi-form does seem to be more orderly, however I still dont see the advantage in doing it this way.

From my point of view, your character wont end up any stronger than a normal character that just buys powers and abilities, BUT he'll have to sit through many rounds of combat and get the snot kicked out of him for a few rounds in order to use the powers....Unless that is you're buying multi-form

ABOVE your characters starting points, in which case that might be worth it (and totally GM subjective)

well, maybe I'll just do it as the nested lists of conditional adds(e.g. enters combat, up one stage, one turn of combat, up one stage, stunned in combat, up one stage, takes body, move up one, hit by XX DC attack, move up, etc) but just summarize their total cost, and put the different stages on their own sheets. Having to burn phases transitioning between forms would probably suck ;)

It's a character for a high-level game, so I'm not so worried about cost per se.

Like I said, an adjusted gradual effects disad will save you some points and simulate the "upping forms" idea. Youd have to work with it....

Like I said, unless you were buying multi forms above your characters starting value, I just dont see the powed advantage youd get with multiform...

That could always be an option though, IF the gm allows it. If your character was build on 250, and your gm let your "final" form be 400 or more (I know you said you were in a higher point game, but Im just making examples), then that would be worth it. You could easily just do something similar to Bengals idea.

Eh, my head hurts (Im working on a tricky form of one of my characters at the moment as well..too much hero...arrg! =P) Good luck...