HELP from Italy!

Logan

Hello,

i'm an italian player, 31 years old. I speak a simple english but i'll try to talk with you, guys:

i'd like to buy "Champions" caus i like superheroes. I don't know nothing about Hero Games but i've heard a lot of happy impressions from others players years i play.

Now i'm going to buy (in Italy) Champions but i don't know what i need to start to play superheroes.

Can i play Champions just buying "Champions" the core book or i must buy the HERO SYSTEM core book before?

Aren't there the play rules in "Champions" or i find them only in the base HERO SYSTEM core book?

Finally, what i need (at minimum) to play Champions?

I'm sorry for the poor english. I hope you'll understand me.

BYE!

Re: HELP from Italy!

You would want the HERO System 5th Edition Revised for the rules if you can get it. The Champions book is just a genre book, and while I like it, it doesn't give you the mechanices you need. Another option would be "Sidekick" which is a much cheaper set of the rules that doesn't have all the options, but should be enough to get you started and may not be as intimidating.

Hello' date='i'm an italian player, 31 years old. I speak a simple english but i'll try to talk with you, guys:i'd like to buy "Champions" caus i like superheroes. I don't know nothing about Hero Games but i've heard a lot of happy impressions from others players years i play.Now i'm going to buy (in Italy) Champions but i don't know what i need to start to play superheroes.Can i play Champions just buying "Champions" the core book or i must buy the HERO SYSTEM core book before?Aren't there the play rules in "Champions" or i find them only in the base HERO SYSTEM core book?Finally, what i need (at minimum) to play Champions?I'm sorry for the poor english. I hope you'll understand me.BYE![/quote']The minimum to play the Champions genre is Fifth Edition Revised. It contains all the rules for the HERO system, and it would be pretty tough to play without it. The Champions genre book is useful; it contains information on how to use the core rules to create a superhero campaign, but it's not strictly required.And don't worry about your English. It's much better than my Italian. :)

You would want the HERO System 5th Edition Revised for the rules if you can get it. The Champions book is just a genre book' date=' and while I like it, it doesn't give you the mechanices you need. Another option would be "Sidekick" which is a much cheaper set of the rules that doesn't have all the options, but should be enough to get you started and may not be as intimidating.[/quote']

Thank you Hermit!

My friend told me that an old edition of Champions included the complete rules even into the "Champions manual", without the necessity to buy the "core system". Maybe this Champion new edition (5th) is different than older.

Then i need Heros System (or Sidekicks, the simple version) and after the Champions Book (together) to create adventure in superheroes world.

;-)

Thank you Hermit!

My friend told me that an old edition of Champions included the complete rules even into the "Champions manual", without the necessity to buy the "core system". Maybe this Champion new edition (5th) is different than older.

Then i need Heros System (or Sidekicks, the simple version) and after the Champions Book (together) to create adventure in superheroes world.

;-)

You are most welcome. Yeah, Champions 4th Edition had some of the rules in it as well. The 5th Eth Ed Champions Book has loads and loads of Genre related material, but not much rules wise.

I'd suggest also purusing the Champions Products part of the Hero Games site here. That should give you a good overview of each product they have for it so far and which ones are more of what you wanted. :)

The minimum to play the Champions genre is Fifth Edition Revised. It contains all the rules for the HERO system' date=' and it would be pretty tough to play without it. The Champions genre book is useful; it contains information on how to use the core rules to create a superhero campaign, but it's not strictly required.And don't worry about your English. It's much better than my Italian. :)

[/quote']Thank you, Mickey!

Lira? Come on, Steve, we don't have those anymore! :)

Welcome aboard, Logan. I'm another Italian HERO player - from Modena, to be exact. I was going to reply to your post earlier, but my PC froze and I had to reboot - I suspect that was Steve Long using his evil powers.

As others have said, the first thing you need is a rulebook - either 5th Edition Revised, or Sidekick. If you're willing to do some work on your own and don't plan on running your game in the Champions Universe, you can try and start gaming with only that. Or, you could get some other book to make your life easier. I would suggest, in no partcular order:

Champions Universe. A setting book. Background info, some sample characters and an introductory adventure.

UNTIL Superpowers Database. A collection of pre-made Superpowers. Not strictly necessary, as you can build all of that from the rulebooks, but it will spare you a lot of time as well as providing some cool ideas.

Champions. A Game-mastering advice book basically. Not strictly necessary either but an excellent read.

Conquerors, Killers and Crooks. A collection of villains and opponents.

Of the pre-made adventures, I (heart) "Shades of Black" especially, but "Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth" is cool too.

The "Ultimate" line of HERO books is excellent too, but those are "crunchy" rulebooks and maybe you'd best wet your feet with the basic rulebook first.

(Scusa se ti scrivo in inglese, ma gli utenti del forum sono in gran parte anglofoni. Se preferisci che ti risponda in italiano, naturalmente, non hai che da dirlo). :)

(Scusa se ti scrivo in inglese' date=' ma gli utenti del forum sono in gran parte anglofoni. Se preferisci che ti risponda in italiano, naturalmente, non hai che da dirlo). :)[/quote']Of course we don't mind you using Italian as long as you're bringing another victim... er, new Hero enthusiast into the fold. :bounce:

Which kind of dice (4 faces, 6 faces, etc.) I need to play Champions?

In which quantity (for a specific type) too?

All you use in Hero is standard cubical (6 sided) dice. 14 to 16 dice should be more than enough for most beginning characters. It is useful, but not strictly necessary, to have at least one die in a different color for rolling half dice and Stun Multiipliers during combat.

And welcome to Hero. :)

Thanks!

14 to 16 "d6" just for the beginners???!!! :nonp:

And how many dices have you (expert players) in your game (on the table)?

Then, how many dices do you can roll (together) in the most complex (or experienced) test action (ability) in Champions? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Then, how many dices do you can roll (together) in the most complex (or experienced) test action (ability) in Champions? :rolleyes:

The average attack power will range around 12 to 16 dice. That's for beginners and experts. The really powerful attacks can go higher, but probably not more than 24 dice. But that's for the really powerful heroes and villains. That's along the lines of Doctor Destroyer or Richard Logue.

Richard

Thanks!

Then, how many dices do you can roll (together) in the most complex (or experienced) test action (ability) in Champions?

Most beginning Standard level (350 points) characters do 10 to 12d6 of damage per attack. But it helps to have a few extra dice available for Haymakers and Pushing, and lone supervillains designed to fight teams of beginning heroes will also often do more damage than the heroes.

After years (in some cases decades) of gaming, most of us have our own dice. I usually have 12 dice available when I play my character because she normally does 10d6 of damage. The player running our team's brick usually has about 17 dice because his character does five dice more damage per attack than mine. If we need more dice for a single roll we borrow them.

Logan,

First, welcome to the game and to the boards. :)

Second, don't let the large number of dice scare you.

Those large numbers are dice that you roll for damage, when someone does a big attack (like Superman punching a hole in a wall).

You only use three, six-sided dice to do all your other rolls.

So if you are rolling the dice to see if someone sees something, or uses a Skill correctly, or hits a target in combat, you only use three dice.

When you are rolling an attack, if you hit, you roll a number of six-sided dice based on how strong the attack was.

I didn't want you to think that you were going to have to add up 15 dice every time anyone did anything.

KA.