Literary Write Ups

Eosin

I was feeling a little funky this am so I decided to take a stab at writing Boromir up. BoromirPlayer:

Val Char Cost
23 STR 13
17 DEX 21
20 CON 20
15 BODY 10
12 INT 2
11 EGO 2
18 PRE 8
16 COM 3
8 PD 3
4 ED 0
4 SPD 13
10 REC 2
40 END 0
40 STUN 3
6" RUN02" SWIM04 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 100
Cost Power END
5 +10 PRE (10 Active Points); (Only versus PRE attacks; -1)
8 Sounding the Horn: +10 PRE, Usable Simultaneously (up to 32 people at once; +1 1/2) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), (Does not affect skill rolls; -1/4) 2
9 +3 PER with all Sense Groups 0
8 Standing tall: Physical Damage Reduction, 25% (10 Active Points); (Must be aware of attack.; -1/4) 0
Powers Cost: 30
Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
Gondorian Blade Mastery
4 1) Bind: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Bind, 33 STR
4 2) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 3) Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 33 STR to Disarm roll
4 4) Evade: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 5) Lightning Stroke: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, Weapon +2 DC Strike
5 6) Sacrifice Stroke: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -2 DCV, Weapon +4 DC Strike
1 Weapon Element: Empty Hand (Bind, Block, Disarm, Evade, Takeaway maneuvers only)
Martial Arts Cost: 26
Cost Skill
6 PS: Captain-General 14-
3 PS: Steward 11-
3 Scholar
5 1) KS: Gondorian Customs & Law (6 Active Points) 14-
3 2) KS: Heraldry (4 Active Points) 12-
2 3) KS: Legends & Lore (3 Active Points) 11-
4 4) KS: Military History (5 Active Points) 13-
5 AK: Gondor 13-
3 AK: Middle Earth (The West) 11-
2 Animal Handler (Equines) 13-
3 Bureaucratics 13-
3 Climbing 12-
3 Concealment 11-
4 +3 with Concealment (6 Active Points); (Natural surroundings; -1/2)
5 High Society 14-
4 Navigation (Land) 12-
3 Oratory 13-
3 Paramedics 11-
7 Riding 14-
3 Stealth 12-
4 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Mountain) 11-
11 Tactics 15-
5 Teamwork 13-
5 Tracking 12-
10 +1 Overall
5 +1 with HTH Combat
9 +3 with Martial Maneuvers
8 Defense Maneuver I-III
5 Analyze: Combat 12-
3 Fast Draw 12-
6 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Siege Engines
Skills Cost: 145
Cost Perk
10 Money: Wealthy
10 Prince of Gondor
6 Captain-General
40 Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own), Organization Contact (x3), Multiple Contacts (x3) (40 Active Points) 12-
4 Reputation: Prince of Gondor (A large group) 11-, +2/+2d6
Perks Cost: 70
Cost Talent
8 Deadly Blow: +1d6 (any circumstances, any HTH weapon) (10 Active Points); (When fighting for Gondor; -1/4)
Talents Cost: 8
Cost Equipment END
$7500 Gondorian Blade: HKA 2d6-1 ((+1 OCV), (+2 Piercing)), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (42 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), STR Minimum (-1/4), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1/4) [Notes: 4 BODY, 9 DEF] 0
$1500 Chainmail: Armor (5 PD/3 ED), Covers Area 7-16 (+0) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 0
Equipment costs shown above are for reference only, and are not included in Total Cost.
Val Disadvantages
5 Distinctive Features: Dunedain (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently, Major)
10 DNPC: Family and Nation: 8- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Group DNPC: x4 DNPCs)
15 Psychological Limitation: Bold and occassionaly reckless (Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Hunting the Enemies of Gondor (Common, Strong)
15 Hunted: Enemies of Gondor 8- (As Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
Disadvantage Points: 80

Base Points: 100Experience Required: 199Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 379

Height: 1.86 m Hair: Brown
Weight: 102.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: A tall Dunedain man in his prime.Personality: Pride in himself and his nation rules the heart of Boromir but he is capable of love and generosity.Background: Boromir is the son of the steward of Gondor and feels a great wieght to protect his homeland.

Re: Literary Write Ups

Looks great, Eosin! One question: weren't the Dunedain extremely long-lived? One point in LS: Longevity might be appropriate. (I could be wrong... don't have my book in front of me...). :thumbup:

Bill.

Not sure how appropriate that would be in Boromir's case, Bill. Gandalf's remarks in the RotK volume of the trilogy asserted that the old Dunedain blood ran much more strongly in Denethor and Faramir than in Boromir. Another of the ironies in Denethor favoring Boromir.

Your writeup is similar in many key ways to the one from this LotR HERO website. Yours looks very good (and is of course fully 5E compatible)' date=' but I'd suggest looking at the Skill and Disad range from the other one - [i']I think you could broaden those areas somewhat.[/i]

I actually checked that site to see if I was missing anything before I posted :snicker: Sure enough, I had forgotten the horn (and languages which I did not catch even with a double check).

I am not sure that I understand the second part of your statement (Italicised in the quote).

On the Disads - I like the ones listed but I am not sure that I agree with them. Superficially they seem to work but once you think about them they fall apart FREX - Rivalry with both Faramir & Aragorn seems logical but think about what rivalry really means per the rules and you have to wonder - does Boromir really want to damage/embarass Faramir? Would he lead Aragorn into a dangerous situation and then abandon him? I do think version 1.5 will use PRIDE - simple and direct. The Driven seems to work as well. As to the others, I am sort of iffy.

Thanks for the heads up.

Not sure how appropriate that would be in Boromir's case' date=' Bill. Gandalf's remarks in the RotK volume of the trilogy asserted that the old Dunedain blood ran much more strongly in Denethor and Faramir than in Boromir. Another of the ironies in Denethor favoring Boromir.[/quote']

Yeah, I thought I remembered something like that, but I wasn't sure. It still seems to me that LS: Longevity would be appropriate -- the blood may have thinned, but he's still the son of Denethor.

I guess (since he was killed in his prime by a rush of Orcs) we'll never know for sure. :)

Bill.

Gandalf's remarks in the RotK volume of the trilogy asserted that the old Dunedain blood ran much more strongly in Denethor and Faramir than in Boromir. Another of the ironies in Denethor favoring Boromir.

When Denethor was young, there was a captain called Thorongil. Denethor's father Ecthelion, and many of the people, often overlooked Denethor in favor of him. Denethor was jealous of him because of this. He had guessed Thorongil was actually the heir to the throne of Gondor -- Aragorn -- and was correct. Denethor would lose much of the Stewardship's power if there were a King upon the throne.

Gandalf and Aragorn were friends even then, and Aragorn advocated Gandalf's advice to Ecthelion. Denethor suspected that Gandalf and Aragorn were plotting to remove him from the succession of the Stewardship. When he did at last become Steward of Gondor, Denethor did not welcome Gandalf's presence in his halls.

Boromir was more similar to Denethor (at least, prior to his wife dying) in terms of thinking and temperment, though Faramir looked more like him (probably more of the Dunedain traits in common, whereas Boromir presumably took more after his mother's side). Faramir eventually became friends with Gandalf, and that was probably a big wedge between them. Denethor probably suspected that Gandalf was again trying to meddle in the succession of Stewards to supplant Boromir as well.

When Boromir's body was found mysteriously washed ashore in the river, covered with arrow wounds (and no arrows or arrow heads in them), after being sent to attend Elrond's Council, leaving Faramir as the sole heir to the Stewardship... well, that was probably "the last straw".

"Slain by orcs. Yeah. Right."

I actually checked that site to see if I was missing anything before I posted :snicker: Sure enough, I had forgotten the horn (and languages which I did not catch even with a double check).

QUOTE]

I did not do the those character sheets, but would love top add this one to the list. If you don't mind. can you send me an html export of this?

Myrrdraal

Val Char Cost
18 STR 8
21 DEX 33
25 CON 30
13 BODY 6
10 INT 0
10 EGO 0
20 PRE 10
8 COM -1
7 PD 3
7 ED 2
4 SPD 9
10 REC 2
50 END 0
40 STUN 5
9" RUN60" SWIM-23 1/2" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 111

Cost Power END
20 Gaze of the Eyeless: +35 PRE (35 Active Points); (Only to inspire fear; -1/2), ('Eye' contact required; -1/4)
10 Fearless Servants of the Great Lord: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); (Only versus Presence Attacks; -1)
15 Creepy Special Effect: Change Environment 16" radius, -2 EGO Roll and all Skill Rolls based on EGO, Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (65 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Always On (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Nonselective Target (-1/4) 0
38 Trolloc Link: Mind Link , Trolloc class of minds, Specific Group of Minds, Number of Minds (x128), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2) (67 Active Points); (Myrrdraal must associate with trollocs for 1 week before using; -1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4) 0
9 Devoted Servants: Mental Defense (15 points total) (13 Active Points); (Not versus Ego Blast; -1/2) 0
10 Sightless: Sight Group Flash Defense (10 points) 0
5 Serpentine Form: Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Resistant Defenses 0
2 Anginor's Creation: LS (Longevity ; Reduced Sleeping ) 0
15 Shadow Walk: Teleportation 9", x10 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (49 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Character is non-combat; -1), Restricted Path (Only through shadows; -1), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4) 0
13 Frenzied Death: +20 BODY (40 Active Points); (Only to continue to thrash about after death. Only until the sun sets.; -2) [Notes: At zero BODY the Myrddraal is effectively brain dead but continues to lash out (0 OCV - 1 hex area of effect, no range) until it dies as the sun sets or brought to negative 30 BODY.]
Powers Cost: 137

Cost Skill
4 PS 12- Servant of the Dark One
2 Language: Shadowspawn Codes (fluent conversation)
3 Breakfall 13-
3 Climbing 13-
3 Concealment 11-
5 +4 with Concealment (8 Active Points); (Only in shadows; -1/2)
3 Contortionist 13-
3 Interrogation 13-
3 Shadowing 11-
3 Stealth 13-
6 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Desert, Mountain) 11-
3 Tactics 11-
2 WF: Common Melee Weapons
3 Fast Draw 13-
10 +2 with HTH Combat
Skills Cost: 56

Cost Perk
6 The Dark One's Secret Network [Computer Link]
6 Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has been blackmailed by the character, Contact has very useful Skills or resources), Organization Contact (x3) (6 Active Points) 8-
9 Reputation (A large group) 14-, +3/+3d6
Perks Cost: 21

Cost Talent
5 Magesight
Talents Cost: 5

Cost Equipment END
Black Plate: Armor (7 PD/7 ED), Covers Area 10-13 (+0) (21 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 0
Brassards & Leggings: Armor (5 PD/3 ED), Covers Area 7- 9 & 14-17 (+0) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 0
Horsemans Boots: Armor (3 PD/3 ED), Covers Area 17 - 18 (+0) (9 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 0
Mailed Gloves: Armor (4 PD/2 ED), Covers Area 6 (+0) (9 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 0
Myrddraal Blade: HKA 2d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (52 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), STR Minimum 8 (-1/4) [Notes: 6 BODY, 6 DEF] 0
Tharkandar Blade: (Total: 333 Active Cost, 80 Real Cost) HKA 2d6+1 (3d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (52 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), (STR Minimum 8; -1/4) (Real Cost: 21) plus RKA 5d6, Difficult To Dispel (x2 Active Points; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), NND (LS: Disease Immunity or taking no BODY; +1), Does BODY (+1) (281 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Week; -2), Activation Roll 10- (-1 1/4), No Range (-1/2) (Real Cost: 59) 0
Equipment costs shown above are for reference only, and are not included in Total Cost.

Total Character Cost: 330

Val Disadvantages
20 Distinctive Features: Eyeless Shadowspawn (Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Virtually Everyone)
20 Hunted: Those who oppose the shadow. 14- (Less Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
15 Physical Limitation: May not enter a steading (Infrequently, Fully Impairing)
25 Psychological Limitation: Cold alien mindset (Very Common, Total)
0 Psychological Limitation: Fear of Water (Common, Strong)
25 Social Limitation: Serve the Dark One (Very Frequently, Severe)
20 Reputation: Merciless Shadowspawn, 14- (Extreme)

Disadvantage Points: 125

Base Points: 100

Experience Required: 105

Total Experience Available: 111

Experience Unspent: 6

Frenzied Death: +20 BODY (40 Active Points); (Only to continue to thrash about after death. Only until the sun sets.; -2) [Notes: At zero BODY the Myrddraal is effectively brain dead but continues to lash out (0 OCV - 1 hex area of effect' date= no range) until it dies as the sun sets or brought to negative 30 BODY.]

Consider this stolen. I had meant to put something like this on my Uktena (rattlesnake-dragon), but forgot....

• 4 months later...

As you can see a few posts up, the recent shutoff of HTML code on the Hero Games discussion boards has royally scramble Eosin's excellent character writeups. :nonp: Eosin has posted a lot of material to the boards in that format, but unfortunately he hasn't had the opportunity to try to unscramble all of them. However, he did graciously give me permission to make those items related to HERO game conversions available again to interested viewers, until he can make a more permanent solution. (I suspect my interest in conversions is fairly well known around here by now.) :o

I was able to reconstruct his writeups for Boromir and the Myrrdraal as originally presented, and then Save them as RTF documents. I've attached the DOC files below. Please let me know if you have any trouble reading them.