Shadows of the City (by Scott Sigler)

Richard Logue

With the release of Hudson City, I've been wanting to give a Dark Champions campaign a go.

Have any of you run Shadows of the City in its entirety or even portions of it? If you have, I'd like to know how it went and if there were any ways in which you altered the adventure. And I'm interested in your general opinion and critique of the book.

Thanks!

RL

Re: Shadows of the City (by Scott Sigler)

With the release of Hudson City, I've been wanting to give a Dark Champions campaign a go.

Have any of you run Shadows of the City in its entirety or even portions of it? If you have, I'd like to know how it went and if there were any ways in which you altered the adventure. And I'm interested in your general opinion and critique of the book.

Thanks!

RL

I've run this in the past...about 2 years ago actually. A very good adventure, but if you're wanting to run an adventure as "pure" Dark Champions(i.e. supers as trained normals and nothing more), this may not be for you. I'd say it's actually more of a darker standard superheroic adventure than anything else....with execution style killings, mysterious serial killings, and occult conspiracies. That said....my players have a great time going through it. I had to beef up the characters within to face my group...and in general...most of them would benefit from a 5th edition retooling. The Pack is a well designed villain group. One of the villains, Bastille, turned to good during the adventure and became close with my group from then on. I pretty much ran the adventure as written...though a large amount of time passed between part 2 and part 3 for my group. The book has suggestions for beefing up the bad guys for standard super campaigns(4th edition) and I was pretty much forced to do so. Most of the villains are very capable and loaded with killing attacks. The Disciples in particular handed my group their worst defeat in their entire history.

Rob

Thanks!

RL

I also ran the whole thing end to end. The Pack is interesting but for my group the best part was the investigationin the middle part with the Nocturnals, they really got into it. All in all it really is a fun set of adventure but like Dr. said the villians are very capable and some are loaded with killing attacks (Mongrel and Guillotine come to mind). If you have a dislike of KAs you will need to modify it. If you have a darker supers game planned then they are fine.

Jerome

I also ran the whole thing end to end. The Pack is interesting but for my group the best part was the investigationin the middle part with the Nocturnals, they really got into it. All in all it really is a fun set of adventure but like Dr. said the villians are very capable and some are loaded with killing attacks (Mongrel and Guillotine come to mind). If you have a dislike of KAs you will need to modify it. If you have a darker supers game planned then they are fine.

Jerome

Actually...Reign has that double Penetrating HKA and a Drain on defenses to boot! The others you mentioned are certainly deadly as well. Actually, most of the Pack was...ahem....packing...a Killing attack. I'd probably re-write most of the characters though....if only to balance them with skills and so forth...which were not as common in 4th. I actually DID re-write Bastille for 5th Edition...as he became a superhero.

Rob

Ouch, yeah forgot about that terror. In a similar vein is Rottweiler and his HKA based on a grab. As he was a brick when he pulled it off it hurt. Also both characters has fairly large regen rates which creeped out players who saw damage healing before their eyes.

Jerome

I did run a part of it. I remove reverend M and his team and make the King the Deus ex Machina of anything.

For a 4th Ed adventure it proved to be deadly. On my 5 PCs, 2 survived the first scenario.

the other players had to make new characters and steadily refused any kind of "code vs killing" for their PCs

Ouch, yeah forgot about that terror. In a similar vein is Rottweiler and his HKA based on a grab. As he was a brick when he pulled it off it hurt. Also both characters has fairly large regen rates which creeped out players who saw damage healing before their eyes.

Jerome

Ironically, my old group handled the Pack pretty easily, but The Disciples were a different story. I haven't run Shadows with my new group....mainly as the campaign standards are lower....so this would probably wipe out the entire group.

Rob

I ran this also. However, I morphed into more of a Superhero campaign than a Dark Champions one. I had to beef up the Pack to have some sort of chance against my players. Even so, they still didn't have much problem with them.

Now on the other hand, I expanded the role of the Nocturnals mini adventure into a full fledged adventure that was occurring simultaneously. This had them going for awhile since they were trying to connect the dots between the two adventures. I expanded the role of Saviour and had him become a possible ongoing NPC for future games.

I also used Reverend M to allow for a "Radiation Accident" for the players if things worked out.

I really liked the story lines of this book. Something that I could expand on and use for my own purposes.

- Christopher Mullins