Universal Driver?

Alibear

If you want to have someone who can drive/ pilot any vehicle, like James Bond say, it costs a fortune, a lot more than the worth of the talent.

You can buy Universal Translator for languages. You could buy Weapons Master with PSL's which costs 9 points.

Would you allow a similar catch all talent for vehicle familiarities?

I have made a ruling that such a skill cost 9 points, the same as the WF variant, do you think that's reasonable? Would you allow it?

Re: Universal Driver?

This is for Transport Familiarity?

9 points sounds reasonable for many games, and if no one has spent lots of points in your game already to have TFs then it would be fine.

Weapon master (the PSL thing) uses the rule that using an unfamiliar weapon is a -3, so it is easily compensated for. If someone buys that, fine, they can use the weapon to attack without penalty, but I do not let them use 'special modes' without actually knowing the weapon (so if a weapon gives a bonus to disarm, for example, only someone trained in its use i.e. with the relevant WF can use that mode.)

Universal translator costs more and requires a skill roll.

So I'd allow the '9 point familiarity' to be able to get anything going, probably, but I would limit what you can do with it: combat piloting/driving would still be at -3, for example, unless you had the specific TF. Of course you could then buy 9 points worth of PSLs to offest that penalty...

In addition I'd probably require an INT/PER roll and/or extra time to get the vehicle going if it is one that the character has not used in-game previously: the principles of flying all aircraft are similar, but the cockpit layout can be very different, for example.

All of this may be too restrictive: if no one really objects, just go with the 9 points and leave it at that.

I probably wouldn't allow it for 9 points, because I can't really see the logic in that. However, I would prabably let the PC by all of the TF within larger groupings. Like...

Common Riding Animals - 2pts

Common Motorized Ground Vehicles - 2 pts

Uncommon Motorized Ground Vehicles - 2 pts

Air Vehicles - 2 pts

Sci Fi & Space Vehicles - 2 pts

Recreational Vehicles - 2 pts

Water Vehicles - 2 pts

This covers most vehicles I can think of for 14 pts, and you could probably drop the Scifi & Space vehicles in most games, as they would never come into play/could be covered by Air Vehicles. I don't think 12-14 points is so bad. But I know how it goes when you are trying to crunch points...

I think it wholly depends on the type of game you're playing. In a Dark Champions game, I'd never allow a Universal Driver talent. I probably wouldn't allow a Universal Translator, either. But in a Champions game? Certainly, I'd allow it, because vehicles aren't all that important.

In a Space Opera Star HERO setting? Sure. I never saw Kirk get into an escape pod and say "I can't fly this thing!" But in a serious, Military Star HERO setting? No frickin' way. I'd go so far as to make transport familiarity even harder to procure.

Genre by genre, I suppose.

I have "Driver Skill" which accords a -1 CP for each transport and piloting skill.

Related, I added "Warrior Skill" which does the same for all weapons familiarities.

1 point familiarities may be bought 2 for 1 but should be in the same group.

I know you can buy TFs as large groups ... and frankly, if the game will involve that many different things to pilot/drive/fly then the post investment is more than adequate.

On the other hand ... if you're not going to encounter stuff all that often to drive I'd make a bargain with the GM..

State that you can't possibly think of everything a person could drive, you'd like to pick the most common for the character sheet on creation to they are there. But anything else you'd like to "Automatically Know" with the requirement that you have to invest the next few XP (whatever the TF is worth) into it and not something else. Sort of prespending XP within a narrow subset to handle a character concept.

Depending on your GM, most probably wouldn't have much issue with this.

A Talent or Perk that costs 9 points doesn't seem right. Depending on the genre, there are many ways I'd handle this.

There are those genres where everybody (at least importing bodies, like PCs) seem to know how to use any vehilce or weapon they come across. In these types of games, such things are everyman skills. Typically, the same happens with languages, but that's only because everybody speaks the same language.

Then there are those genres where vehicles are important, but equally important is actually having a skill it using them. No skill, no vehicle use. In cases like these, I'd use a Talent similar to Universal Translator. I'd call it Universal Vehicle Operator. It costs 20 points, grants the character the ability to use any sort of vehicle and includes an effective Combat Driving/Piloting ability with a roll equal to the character's DEX Roll (and can be increased by +1 per 2 points.

In those other genres where vehicles aren't that important or there just aren't that much of variety, it's just cheeper to by the TFs and Combat Pilot/Driving.

I think it wholly depends on the type of game you're playing. In a Dark Champions game' date=' I'd never allow a Universal Driver talent. I probably wouldn't allow a Universal Translator, either. But in a [i']Champions[/i] game? Certainly, I'd allow it, because vehicles aren't all that important.

In a Space Opera Star HERO setting? Sure. I never saw Kirk get into an escape pod and say "I can't fly this thing!" But in a serious, Military Star HERO setting? No frickin' way. I'd go so far as to make transport familiarity even harder to procure.

Genre by genre, I suppose.

Exactly.

Hell, in Champions, I don't even use TFs or WFs. Everyone can use anything. (I give some penalties for outlandish vehicles, but they go away with a bit of practice, with no points expenditure.)

I might be in a minority here but I don't like changing the rules from genre to genre, I like to have a set of standard rules if at all possible. A Super likely wouldn't buy the power anyway but for a special forces agent or the like it is a must.

I think I'll leave it as a blanket 9 point skill.

Thanks for the imput, it really seems to help the thought process. :thup: