Character: Sir Merriya de Blackmere, knight and paladin

Susano

Re: Character: Sir Merriya de Blackmere, knight and paladin

Pet peeve time:

I'm not sure why, WHY!, published characters have this convention... but a STR 15 fighter, with martial arts w/ weapon, weilding a sword does NOT DO 1d6+1!!!

It DOES 2d6+1 or d 1/2d6... however you want to figure HKA 1/2 steps... 1 DC for the STR of 5 over the weapon STR min and 1 DC for the 2 DC of the martial art. Sure, the one martial manuever only does 1 DC as it is a defensive probe type of attack (more levels into DCV), but the majority of the time, when girlie knight is swingin' her sword, she is doing 2d6+1

Susano, I'm not picking on you... but your example jogged me. Your character just reminded me of it. This is really a rant vs. published stuff. It is so ingrained in everyone's write ups.

Why make me do all the freakin' work!?!!? Just put in parenthesis the true, final damage and continue to state the base damage. It drives me nuts... to be honest... that this one extra step is not taken in published stuff... why write out the weapon if it ain't accurate or complete?

btw, interesting character.

I like her. Good back story, and nice progression from her early career to her advanced status as a kinight.

She should have some income though. Even landless knights need to pay to repair their armor and care for their horses. ;)

How about a quick mention in her back story of how she's paying her way in the world (or did I miss it)?

I like her. Good back story, and nice progression from her early career to her advanced status as a kinight.

She should have some income though. Even landless knights need to pay to repair their armor and care for their horses. ;)

How about a quick mention in her back story of how she's paying her way in the world (or did I miss it)?

In lower-end version presumes charity for her income. A little here and there to let her get by. The paladin presumes she has the resources of her order to draw upon. (Which could be a Contact.)

In lower-end version presumes charity for her income. A little here and there to let her get by. The paladin presumes she has the resources of her order to draw upon. (Which could be a Contact.)

Thanks. I tend to get caught up on minor details. ;)

18 DEX and a 16 COM... mmmm' date=' cute AND limber. :snicker:[/quote']

...and Pious. Goodluck there dude :D

Very cool, Susano. THis is a re-working of her isn't it? I think she's been on your site for a while or I could be mistaking her for someone else. Good Job

Susano, I would suggest one change in her disadvantages. The 10 point Style limitation doesn't seem to fit the genre of medieval fantasy, especially since "Swordfighting" seems sufficiently generic to not rate a Style disadvantage.

Perhaps instead, to go with her Rivalry with male knights, you could give her the social limitation "Woman In A Man's World" for those same 10 points?

Susano, I would suggest one change in her disadvantages. The 10 point Style limitation doesn't seem to fit the genre of medieval fantasy, especially since "Swordfighting" seems sufficiently generic to not rate a Style disadvantage.

Perhaps instead, to go with her Rivalry with male knights, you could give her the social limitation "Woman In A Man's World" for those same 10 points?

The Style limitation is based off of my own SCA fighting experiences and the fact there were distinct fighting schools in Europe using the spear, great sword, and the like. In a fantasy universe such as Merriya's (which was set in the Forgotten Realms), there many be very distinct styles from separate parts of the world. However, I will include your suggestions, as I feel they have merit.

Very cool' date=' Susano. THis is a re-working of her isn't it? I think she's been on your site for a while or I could be mistaking her for someone else. Good Job[/quote']

Yes. This is the full 5th Edition revision, using the Fantasy Hero templates.