Deck of Many things

gibsonc22

Re: Deck of Many things

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of the deck would be easier to just hand wave. Some people like wishes as XDM, for example, which amounts to the same thing - just give them their wish.

In other cases, the person drawing a card will receive money and/or gems etc. This could be represented with a money perk or something, but much easier to say "OK, you've got the 1,000 bucks."

Still others need points given to a specific characteristic or even free to spend how you want. In any case, I'm going to make it a weekend project to make a Deck of Many HERO Things and post it here.

all kinds of plot hooks and hunteds etc can come out of that deck

character gets an item/gold etc from thin air... or was it taken from somebody else somewhere? if it came from somebody else they may have ways of figuring out why/where it went and come looking to get it back

instead of giving them an item, give them a map to where ones located, and let them figure out how to get it

I think it really depends on how powerful you want the deck to be in your campaign

does the deck vanish once the cards are drawn? or does the character have to find a way to get rid of it?

[the original disapeared IIRC]

but you dont have to run it straight from the book... so theres all kinds of possibilities

also which version of the deck are you using?

DMG, Greyhawk, or the Full Tarot from Dragon Magazine?

the full Tarot version makes for all kinds of interesting ideas

The direct conversion version would be a high point multipower with every card assuming a slot. Slap OAF: Deck of Cards(-1), Uncontrolled (-2), and Independent (-2) to knock the cost down.

I'd personally favor a large VPP with the same disads.

This works for me! Good, good, you put uncontrolled on as a disadvantage. Add Fragile to the disadvantages unless for some reason the deck can't be damaged.

A great example of plot hooks from wishes is Lusiphur in Poison Elves. He wished for speed, a named magic sword, and an instrument that could kill anyone no matter how powerful they were.

In order, the genie took these from -

The magical strength of Ten, one of the most powerful Elven mages, who then took a lot of interest in Lusiphur.

One of the greatest Elven generals, who immediately teleported to Lusiphur and duelled him.

An interdimensional, invulnerable assassin. And the device which Lusiphur took was unable to be used by him.

The Deck is nearly finished! I just have to check a few things and write some notes. I went with the more traditional D&D deck and tried to keep that feel I remember from those days. 15-20 years ago, the deck of many things showed up from time to time in our gaming group.

I remember the Dragon article with the Tarot of Many Things and would love to get my hands on a copy now. My PBeM campaign has a Tarot element in it and my next project will be creating a Tarot Deck.

I took tgrandjean's suggestion and used a Multipower with INDependent, No Conscious Control, OAF, and Charges.

I'll try and post the deck here tomorrow (Sunday).

ok' date=' the article was by michael J Lowery, and is in Dragon #77[/quote']

I have the cd (and have it saved to my computer), so I might be able to come up with something. If nothing else, I suppose the whole issue can be used. The whole issue is an 8.5 mb pdf, and I am not sure if I can jsut save the article (only have the free acrobat reader).

Deck of Many Things

Deck of Many Things: Multipower, 233-point reserve, (233 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF - Deck of Cards (; -1); all slots No Conscious Control (Number of cards must be stated, but deck controls; -2), 4 Charges (-1)

7u 1a) Balance - XI. Justice - 2 of Spades: Major Transform to person with

Disadvantage opposite to character concept 13d6+1 (standard effect:

40 points) (200 Active Points)

2u 1b) Drain 3d6 CP (standard effect: 9 points), Delayed Return Rate

(5 per Century; +3 1/4) *(127 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2),

Only if character refuses Disadvantage (-1 1/2)

4u 2) Comet - 2 of Swords - 2 of Diamonds: Aid 4d6 CP (standard effect: 12

points), Delayed Return Rate (5 per Century; +3 1/4) (170 Active

Points); Limited Power - Only if next monster met is defeated (-1 1/2)

1u 3) Donjon - 4 of Swords - Ace of Spades: XDM to Prison (Single

Dimension), Usable As Attack (+1) (40 Active Points)

0u 4) Euryale - 10 of Swords - Queen of Spades: -1 Overall (-10 Active

Points); Only in terms of 'saving throws' (-1/2)

1u 5) The Fates - 3 of Cups - Ace of Hearts: XDM to dimension where

character avoids situation*(Any Dimension, Any Location) Trigger -

When drawer decides (+1/4) (56 Active Points);

7u 6) Flames - XV.The Devil - Queen of clubs: Major Transform to person

with Hunted 13d6+1 (standard effect: 40 points) (200 Active Points);

4u 7) Fool - 0.The Fool - Trademark Joker: Drain 3d6 CP (standard effect: 9

points), You MUST draw again! (+0), Delayed Return Rate (5 per

Century; +3 1/4) (127 Active Points);

1u 8) Gem - 7 of Cups - 2 of Hearts: Money: Wealthy (10 Active Points);

1u 9) Idiot - I. The Juggler - Ace of Clubs: Drain INT 1d6, You may draw

again. (+0), Delayed Return Rate (5 per Century; +3 1/4) (42 Active

Points);

4u 10) Jester - XII. The Hanged Man - Regular Joker: Aid 3d6 CP (standard

effect: 9 points), You may draw 2 more cards / Card is discarded from

deck (+0), Delayed Return Rate (5 per Century; +3 1/4) (127 Active

Points);

5u 11) Key - V. The Heirophant - Queen of Hearts: Aid 5d6 CP, Delayed

Return Rate (5 per Century; +3 1/4) (212 Active Points); Points must

be used on INDependent weapon (-1)

1u 12) Knight - Page of Swords - Jack of Hearts: Follower (15 Active Points);

1u 13) Moon - XVIII. The Moon - Queen of Diamonds: XDM to wish granted

dimension (Any Dimension, Any Location), 1-4 wishes (charges)

granted (+0) (45 Active Points);

7u 14) Rogue - 5 of Swords - Jack of Spades: Major Transform to person

with Hunted 13d6+1 (standard effect: 40 points) (200 Active Points);

7u 15) Ruin - XVI. The Tower - King of Spades: Major Transform to person

with Destitute 13d6+1 (standard effect: 40 points) (200 Active

Points);

2u 16) Skull - XIII - Death - Jack of clubs: Summon 1 - 8 300-point

creatures (75 Active Points); Antagonistic Violent (-3/4), Side Effects

(Character cannot re raised by ressurection Healing; -3/4)

1u 17) Star - XVII. The Star - Jack of Diamonds: Aid 2d6 CP (standard

effect: 6 points) Delayed Return Rate (5 per Century; +3 1/4) Only

ONE characteristic is raised 2 points (-1/2) (85 Active Points);

7u 18) Sun - XIX. The Sun - King of Diamonds: Aid 23d6+1 CP (standard

effect: 70 points) (233 Active Points); 25 points to be used on

beneficial magic item (-1/2)

7u 19) Talons - Queen of Pentacles - 2 of Clubs: Major Transform to person

with no magic items 13d6+1 (standard effect: 40 points) (200 Active

Points);

3u 20a) Throne - 4 of Staves - King of Hearts: Vehicles & Bases (40

Active Points);

B) Conversation 11-

c) High Society 11-

d) Oratory 11-

e) Tactics 11-

f) Teamwork 11-

g) Inspire (as per Fantasy Hero p. 106)

h) +3 with related group - Leadership skills and situations

i) Aid 1d6+1 PRE (standard effect: 4 points) Delayed Return Rate

(5 per Century; +3 1/4)

3u 21) Vizier - IX. The Hermit - Ace of Diamonds: Precognitive,

Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Mental Group), +10 to PER Roll: +10,

Trigger - When character decides (+1/4) (87 Active Points);

1u 22) The Void - 8 of Swords - King of Clubs: XDM of psyche to the void

(Single Dimension), Usable As Attack (+1) (40 Active Points);

111 Total Powers Cost

When the deck is found, it will always be in a case of some sort: a tooled leather pouch, an inlayed box, or the like. Perhaps there will be symbols to a God of Luck or similar. On the case will be question – How Many? - and often the numbers 1,2,3,4 to indicate the number of cards that may be drawn.

Any character who wishes to draw cards from the deck must first state how many he or she wishes to draw, but many factors can change the ultimate number. This is simulated by the limitations 4 Charges (-1) and No Conscious Control (-2). There are a number of cards and situations that will allow the character to draw more cards or to have the total number reduced. Most of these are explained in the description of each card, but there are some overall rules.

The deck will not disappear when cards are drawn, but any one person cannot draw from the deck more than once in their life. Once a card is drawn, it goes back into the deck for the next drawing (except for the case of the Fool and the Jester, which are always discarded) so that a person may draw the same card more than once. The deck resets itself for each new drawer.

The descriptions below state the original basic description from the D&D 3E DMG and my interpretation of how the deck can work as well as why I have chosen powers and skills used for most cases. As stated before, I have tried to keep to the original AD&D feel for the deck that I remember from my days gaming with that system.

Balance – Change alignment instantly. - I believe the original version of the Deck stated ‘or be judged’ and I feel there should be some sort of judging involved. The character could be instantly transported to a kind of courtroom presided over by a servant of whatever deity they worship, past ‘out of character’ actions could be brought up as accusations, the possibilities are endless. What must happen, however, is that the character must take 1 or more new disadvantages that cause them to act radically different. The loss of CP can be an alternative to taking the new disad. or as a result (side effect) of not playing the new disads. depending on the GM’s preference.

A note about using Drain and Aid for the Deck. I have used the delayed return rate (5/century) to simulate the permanence of losing or gaining CP and stats.

Comet – Defeat the next monster you meet to gain one level. – Here, I have assumed 1 level = 12 CP. This is based on my personal preferences, so please adjust for your game. The points could be spent however the character wants, or the GM can decide where they go. It is up to the GM to decide what constitutes a monster as well as what defeating it entails. It should certainly be a challenging opponent and the threat it represents should be completely neutralized.

Donjon – You are imprisoned. – So many things could happen here! The main thing is that the character is transported to a prison. It is assumed the prison is on another plane and in the control of a powerful being. All the character’s possessions are taken from them when they become jailed, and you may decide if they are nearby and/or can be found again. If you desire the prison to be in the campaign world, use a mega-scale teleportation instead. Obviously, the character can draw no further cards.

Euryale - -1 penalty to all saving throws henceforth. – I had originally toyed with this being a Drain to ED and PD, but I believe this is a better solution. The penalty should apply to skill and characteristic rolls when the PC is in a ‘saving throw’ situation. i.e. whenever they need a roll to avoid a dangerous situation.

The Fates – Avoid any situation you choose . . . once. - Along the lines of a wish, this situation can really warp reality. The drawer of the card can decide when they wish to avoid any situation and are transported to a dimension where this is so. They can even use it to avoid a situation in the past by traveling back in time and in a different location. The person who draws the card, and not his friends, is the only once who can avoid the situation.

Flames – Enmity between you and an outsider (originally – a devil). – The devil, minor evil deity, demon prince, whatever – does not need to appear instantly. I have used a transform to person with Hunted instead of Summon to reflect this. Lots of good suggestions for enemies can be found in fine HERO products everywhere!

A note about using transform for the Deck of Many Things. I have used 40 points to make sure just about anyone will be affected. You can adjust up or down if you like.

Fool – Lose 10,000 XP and you must draw again. – The additional draw is NOT optional. The Fool will not appear again for the same character. Adjust the number of CPs lost for your campaign. Again, where the points are taken from should probably be up to the GM in this case.

Gem – Gain your choice of 25 pieces of jewellery or 50 gems. – I have taken the most leeway with the original deck here by making the benefit the Money PERK. You could choose almost anything to be the source of the PCs wealth, creating lots of plot hooks along the way. The gems and jewellery could be literal and the PERK could be spent away, but they should give the character a LOT of wealth.

Idiot – Lose INT (Permanent drain). You may draw again. - The second draw is optional.

Jester – Gain 10,000 XP or two more draws from the Deck. - Adjust number of CPs gained to your preference.

Key – Gain a major magic weapon. - The CPs gained must all be used to create a weapon, and it must have Independent as one of it’s limitations.

Knight – Gain the service of a 4th level fighter. – Creates a follower. Adjust power level for the campaign.

Moon – You are granted 1d4 wishes. - Wish as XDM FRED p. 111 (and other sources).

Rogue – One of your friends turns against you. – The level of the Hunted and who it is should be left entirely up to the GM.

Ruin – Immediately lose all wealth and real property.

Skull – Defeat Death or be forever destroyed. – The card summons more than one ‘death’ only if the drawer’s friends try and help him or her. They must fight their own ‘death’ if they do. The side effect, if they lose their fight, is that they cannot be resurrected by any means (Suppress to resurrection healing?). Coming soon – Karimarle’s Deck of Many Things Death.

Star – Immediately gain a +2 inherent bonus to one ability. - The character may choose which characteristic is raised, but both points must go to the same one.

Sun - Gain beneficial medium wondrous item and 50,000 XP. - Probably the best card to draw, part of the points gained must be used to create a magic item with Independent as one of its limitations.

Talons - All magic items you possess disappear permanently. - I think it’s a little strange to use Transform this way, but as this card only takes away magic items and as I’ve used Transform for similar effects already, I thought it was the best way to go here.

Throne - Gain 6 ranks in Diplomacy plus a small keep. - The original AD&D deck gave a Charisma of 18, I believe, but was intended to make the drawer of the card into a leader. I have tried to simulate this with the skills and abilities listed, but you should adjust for the feel of your campaign. The points for the base come from the example on page Xxx of Fantasy HERO.

Vizier - Know the answer to your next dilemma. - The character can decide when he wants to use the power of the card. The mix of precog, retro and mental clairsentience should cover any situation and allow the character to know the answer to the problem. Acting on that problem and the information gained is an entirely different matter.

The Void - Body functions, but soul is trapped elsewhere. - The GM can decide exactly where the person’s mind/soul/psyche went to, but it should be difficult to find and to get to - most likely on another plane. Perhaps it is inside a demon prince’s ring, in a bottle on an evil wizard’s workbench, or at the bottom of a dragon’s hoard, forgotten. Very powerful magic might reveal where the trapped soul is, but should not be able to bring it back. That should be a long adventure in itself. No other cards can be drawn after this one.