Giving a shot at making Goku.

bushido11

I'm trying to create Goku from DBZ so that I can familiarize myself with the way HERO powers work. This is what I have so far:

STR 65, DEX 28, CON 25, BODY 30, INT 10, EGO 20, PRE 15, COM 14, PD 30, ED 30, SPD 8, REC 25, END 150, STUN 100.

-MP reserve 450 cp

-Energy Blast 30d6, Variable Advantage (+2), Active Points 450; Flexible MP Slot, Real Points 90

-Flight 200", Usable Underwater (+1/4), Reduced END (0 END; +1/2), Active Points 350; Flexible MP Slot, Real Points 70

-Force Field 40 rED, Active Points 40; Flexible MP Slot, Real Points 8

-Teleportation 50", Increased Mass 400 kg (+10cp), Position Shift (+5cp), No Relative Velocity (+10cp), Reduced END (0 END; +1/2), Active Points 187; Flexible MP Slot, Real Points 37

About Goku powering up, which power would seem most appropriate? I'm thinking Succor. What do you all think? What else am I missing here?

I don't know anything about Dragonball Z, but the Powers look good to me with one exception:

You have to purchase points of Force Field seperately for every kind of defense you want it to provide. Does that Force Field you have provide 40 Physical Defense? 40 Energy Defense? Both?

In the Ninja HERO book, they have a Dragonball Z-style character much like the one you've made, and Aid is used for the "powering up." The Succor would work perfectly if you wanted the extra power to disappear instantly when Goku stopped actively maintaing it instead of fading more slowly.

Good stuff! It seems you "get" the system pretty good for a beginner. Let us know if you need anymore help. That's what we're here for! :D

I did mention what kind of defense the Force Field provided: Energy Defense (rED = Resistant Energy Defense). You've never seen Dragon Ball Z? You can catch it on Cartoon Network Monday thru Friday at 5:30 PM Eastern Time. It's some insane stuff, way up there on the supers scale. I figure Succor with Self Only, since it seems to take Goku's energy to boost his abilities (you'll see them when he turns Super Saiyan: his hair turns blonde, his eyes blue, and he has a flaming aura surrounding him). Also, when he isn't able to maintain his increased state of power, he reverts back to his original self and very weakened (an effect of the reduced END). The abilities he boosts are STR, DEX, BODY, Damage Resistance for PD & ED, and his energy blast. He also has Damage Resistance (as a kid, he took an axe blow to the skull and the axe was smashed to bits, leaving him with just a bump on his head!) as well as Extra-Dimensional Movement (only to the Next Dimension). One thing I think I'd have trouble with is making his Spirit Bomb. Basically, he borrows a bit of energy from every living creature on Earth and hurls it at his opponent which pretty much obliterates him (a last resort move). It takes a long time to gather the energy, however. Any suggestions?

Thanks for telling me that I "get" the system pretty good as a beginner. This game has a lot of content in it and it takes a while to absorb. This has led me to be reluctant to learn it at first, but I'm getting the hang of it little by little. I was experimenting with some characters to get more acquainted with HERO. Making Heroic characters is simple enough, but making some of these supers (like Goku) is a mental feat in itself and it takes a LONG time to make. Like the old saying goes, practice makes perfect.

Oops. I totally missed the FF thing. I need to read more carefully.

One thing I think I'd have trouble with is making his Spirit Bomb. Basically, he borrows a bit of energy from every living creature on Earth and hurls it at his opponent which pretty much obliterates him (a last resort move). It takes a long time to gather the energy, however. Any suggestions?

Does every living thing take damage from this, or is this just a cool special effect?

If the latter, you would probably just need a really big attack with appropriate Limitations like Extra Time and probably Concentration if he needs to stand still and can't do anything else when he's building up power. If he needs to make unique gestures with one or both of his hands during this, Gestures would probably be called for, as well.

This attack probably affects a pretty big area, correct? If so look into the Area of Effect and Explosion Advantages. One or the other should work perfect.

That looks like a pretty solid beginning to Goku, bushido11. I agree that using Succor for the powerup makes a lot of sense.

If you'd like to compare your ideas with others, and maybe explore some more DBZ resources, one of your fellow posters, Michael Surbrook (author of the recent Ninja HERO sourcebook) has posted extensive HERO System stats for many elements of the Dragonball Z Universe on his excellent website, "Surbrook's Stuff": characters, races, powers, gadgets and vehicles. Relating this stuff to your own experience with DBZ might help clarify the system for you. Plus it's really fun!

"Surbrook's Stuff" also has writeups for characters from books, movies, comics, manga and anime, and other games, as well as conversions from other rpg systems, optional HERO System material, and more neatness than I can readily list.

The homepage of the site is here:

http://www.devermore.net/surbrook/index/index.html

To get directly to the DBZ section, click here:

http://www.devermore.net/surbrook/dbzhero/dbzhero.html

Response to Yamo:

I figure the borrowing of energy would be more of a special effect than actually using Drain on every single living being on the planet (thanks for pointing that out). Would having to hold up both of your hands to the sky count as a Gesture? Those sound like good limitations (Area Effect sounds more like what it goes for, since Goku has hurled a Spirit Bomb the size of a large house). However, the Spirit Bomb is normally about the size of a beachball, but when it hits, it leaves craters. Once I'm done with Goku, next I'll make a HERO version of Drizzt Do'Urden and post it up to see how accurately I can make it.

Response to Lord Liaden:

Thanks for the links and the comment.

My Advice: Skip Succor, it will drain your END faster than you want.

I recommend putting the power up with the Limitation (Only when Powered Up). If he is powered up half of the time -1. If it never happens in game -2. It makes it much easier than trying to calculate the costs and effect from Succor.

Which version are we talking about here? Remember after he fights Freiza we're talking about a guy that can easily blow up planets...lots of power there. Also we're talking about someone who moves soooooo fast that he can't be seen in a fight by normal human eyes, that's a little better than a 28 dex.

Originally posted by Monolith

I would guess that there is probably a version of this character on Mike Surbrook's site. I do not have the url, but I am sure someone can post it.

Yeah, someone did it a few posts earlier.

And yes, Kayli the Destroyer was my "DBZ on a budget" entry for NINJA HERO.

Re: Giving a shot at making Goku.

Originally posted by bushido11

I'm trying to create Goku from DBZ so that I can familiarize myself with the way HERO powers work. This is what I have so far:

STR 65, DEX 28, CON 25, BODY 30, INT 10, EGO 20, PRE 15, COM 14, PD 30, ED 30, SPD 8, REC 25, END 150, STUN 100.

-MP reserve 450 cp

-Energy Blast 30d6, Variable Advantage (+2), Active Points 450; Flexible MP Slot, Real Points 90

-Flight 200", Usable Underwater (+1/4), Reduced END (0 END; +1/2), Active Points 350; Flexible MP Slot, Real Points 70

-Force Field 40 rED, Active Points 40; Flexible MP Slot, Real Points 8

-Teleportation 50", Increased Mass 400 kg (+10cp), Position Shift (+5cp), No Relative Velocity (+10cp), Reduced END (0 END; +1/2), Active Points 187; Flexible MP Slot, Real Points 37

About Goku powering up, which power would seem most appropriate? I'm thinking Succor. What do you all think? What else am I missing here?

I would add at least Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) and Full Phase (-1/2) to the Energy Blast, since all of the EB's seem to take funny arm waving, yelling the name of the attack and the target always sees the attack coming, but usually can't get out of the way.

I would also at least double the Increased Mass in the Teleport again, and add a Megascale Slot.

The Spirit Bomb would seem to be powered by a Transfer of some sort. The target of the Transfer has to be willing and gives up End which goes into points of the Spirit Bomb.

You might want to consider adding another +1 to the Variable Advantage if the MP is designed to mimic everyone of his energy blasts. While the Kama-ha-ma-ha Wave would have mostly just attack power, something like the Destructo Disk has NND and what not. NND by itself would take up all of that pool.

As far as the Succor is concerned you should most definately add the Cumulative effect to take into account that the longer they power up the more damage it does. It should also be fairly high, 10 dice would not be unreasonable. I also thought that the disad Only Affects Self should probably be required.