So how would you make this? (Silver Samurai)

proditor

Just curious how folks would write up the following:

The Silver Samurai is a mutant who can generate a form of energy, probably a tachyon field, with which he surrounds his sword. He can use the sword, so energized, to slice through any known substance except adamantium. The effect is like that of a disintegration beam.

Re: So how would you make this? (Silver Samurai)

Just curious how folks would write up the following:

The Silver Samurai is a mutant who can generate a form of energy, probably a tachyon field, with which he surrounds his sword. He can use the sword, so energized, to slice through any known substance except adamantium. The effect is like that of a disintegration beam.

Armor Piercing Penetrating (x2) KA. Adamantium being the only known substance which has double hardened defenses which both block Penetrating first.

Armor Piercing Penetrating (x2) KA. Adamantium being the only known substance which has double hardened defenses which both block Penetrating first.

Ah! So make it like the Monomolecular sword from G&G, but then make it an OIF (Sharp thing of opportunity) more or less?

Ah! So make it like the Monomolecular sword from G&G' date=' but then make it an OIF (Sharp thing of opportunity) more or less?[/quote']

SS would have the OIF "object of opportunity" (maybe has to be a Sword; has he ever used anything else?).

The other approach would be to use NND Does BOD instead of AP and Penetrating, with the defense being defenses provided by adamantium, perhaps force fields (which I don't believe he can peneatrate) and maybe combat luck (as supers all seem to get out of the way despite SS' skill with the sword).

To simulate the power perfectly would require something like this:

Cuts Anything: Xd6 RKA, NND (defense is force field, Adamantium, or Combat Luck; +1), Does BODY; OIF (blade of opportunity; -1/2)

Cost: 45 Active/30 Real Points per die

Sword: Xd6 HKA, Linked to Cuts Anything(-1/2), OIF (blade of opportunity; -1/2), Only If Cuts Anything Is Ineffective (-0)

Cost: 15 Active/7.5 Real Points per die

This is because if the target has the Defense, it's still a great honking sword he's hitting you with.

The Cuts Anything Power should be as many dice as Sword including bonuses from STR and highest damage Maneuver. The "force field" defense is the Special Effect, not the Power, so Armor defined as force field would work.

I put the "Only If Cuts Anything Is Ineffective" at 0 because it could be argued that one of these attacks is going to work, but I tend to think it's about a -1/2 (in which case it's 6 RP/die).

If not using his own Sword, he should have both attacks reduced to the number of dice of his current weapon, unless you want to declare him so skilled that he can make any bladed weapon as deadly as his katana (which I haven't seen evidence of).

You could also give him a Multipower with "regular sword" and "cuts anything sword" in it, trading exactness for simplicity and lower cost.

Cuts Anything: Xd6 RKA, NND (defense is force field, Adamantium, or Combat Luck; +1); OIF (blade of opportunity; -1/2)

Sword: Xd6 HKA, Linked to Cuts Anything(-1/2), OIF (blade of opportunity; -1/2), Only If Cuts Anything Is Ineffective (-0)

This is because if the target has the Defense, it's still a great honking sword he's hitting you with.

The Cuts Anything Power should be as many dice as Sword including bonuses from STR and highest damage Maneuver. The "force field" defense is the Special Effect, not the Power, so Armor defined as force field would work.

I put the "Only If Cuts Anything Is Ineffective" at 0 because it could be argued that one of these attacks is going to work, but I tend to think it's about a -1/2.

If not using his own Sword, he should have both attacks reduced to the number of dice of his current weapon, unless you want to declare him so skilled that he can make any bladed weapon as deadly as his katana (which I haven't seen evidence of).

You could also give him a Multipower with "regular sword" and "cuts anything sword" in it, trading exactness for simplicity and cost.

...and don't forget 'Does BODY +1'!

Cuts Anything: Xd6 RKA, NND (defense is force field, Adamantium, or Combat Luck; +1), Does BODY; OIF (blade of opportunity; -1/2)

Cost: 45 Active/30 Real Points per die

Cost: 15 Active/7.5 Real Points per die

I like this construct. I'd probably try to put it in a Multipower that the user can't control the slots of. The "sword" would be 0 END and the "energy field" would cost normal END, but have the NND Does BODY. I'm not sure how legal it would be, but I know there's precidence in published hero characters.

I think that the 'automatically resetting single trigger' advantage should be applied rather than having the effect linked and 'only if primary power fails': neutralising the limitations inherent in a NND attack seems like it is worth an advantage not a limitation to me.

Mind you I could just be a skinflint. :D

Not really familiar yet with the new Trigger rules (I've read them but haven't had occasion to use them yet), so I'm not sure.

However, note that it is a Limitation (and I put it at 0) on a whole separate instance of the Power, so the person doing this is paying twice for the privilage of hitting you once, so it already is something of an Advantage.

Not really familiar yet with the new Trigger rules (I've read them but haven't had occasion to use them yet), so I'm not sure.

However, note that it is a Limitation (and I put it at 0) on a whole separate instance of the Power, so the person doing this is paying twice for the privilage of hitting you once, so it already is something of an Advantage.

Let me give you just one example of the sort of thing I was thinking of:

Agoniser has two attacks: one a high amp electricity blast (an EB) and one high voltage a/c blast (a NND) in the other.

He hits Thespian, who has the requisite defence: he is wearing rubber underwear (we'll not worry about why....), and Thespian, knowing he would fall quickly to the EB makes an acting roll to convince Agoniser that the NND was hurting, so Agoniser continues, quite ineffectually, using it.

(A real example, BTW, albeit the names have been changed)

If Agoniser's NND defaulted to the EB if it did not work, that seems to me like a quite substantial advantage: Thespian would not have stood a chance. You are neutralising the only check on the power of the NND. Quite how many points that is worth, I'm not sure.

I can see these winding up in an EC at some point 'sword powers', so you'll already be saving points.

So long as no one suggests they should be in a MP, eh? :nonp:

I think the "Cuts Anything" NND + HKA would be legit - the fact the HKA works only if the NND does not is a limitation, as otherwise someone affected by the NND would also take the HKA.

However, I also think the two have to be Linked, and that means they can't be separate slots of the same framework. If you wnat both attacks to fire together, you pay for both attacks together.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Wouldn't it be an AVLD Does BODY versus Combat Luck and force fields? Possibly with 'not versus Adamantium' tacked on, if you don't think that's just a property of Adamantium.

Wouldn't it be an AVLD Does BODY versus Combat Luck and force fields? Possibly with 'not versus Adamantium' tacked on' date=' if you don't think that's just a property of Adamantium.[/quote']

That should work, though he should still have a Multipower for when he doesn't use his cutting field.

Along the same lines, but slightly different...

51 Sword with Cutting Field: (Total: 112 Active Cost, 51 Real Cost) Cutting Field HKA 2d6, NND ([Adamantium Defenses, FF, or Combat Luck]; +1), Does BODY (+1) (90 Active Points); OIF (Blade of Opportunity; -1/2), No STR Bonus (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4) (Real Cost: 40) plus Sword does damage, anyways: HKA 1d6 (2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); OIF (Blade of Opportunity; -1/2), Only if Cutting Field Fails to Effect Target (-1/2) (Real Cost: 11)

Note: If the cutting field may not always be used, the limitation on the "Sword does damage, anyways"component may need to be decreased. If it always must be used, then I would add a linked to the "Sword does damage, anyways:" The GM should work with the player on this. In addition, reduced END probably should be added to the cutting field, especially if the character doesn't know that this is what is causing the effect.

The idea is that the main attack is the cutting field... if the cutting field is stopped, then the sword does normal damage.

Ok, here's how I'd do it and it's easy.

First, remember that in comics statements that "Can cut through anything!" are pure bragging. Do you really think that SS could cut the Hulk's head off with a single blow? Of Course not.

So:

Katana: 2d6K HtH, No End Cost (+1/2), OAF (-1)... etc.

Add: Piercing (from Dark Champions): 20 points resistant PD, No End Cost (+1/2), AP (+1/2) to counter one level of Hardened Defenses. Not vs. Force Fields or 'indestructible' materials (-1/2), OAF Katana (-1) as I've never seen the Samurai use the power with another item.

Real Cost of the Piercing Field: 120 points.

Active Cost of the Piercing Field: 48

You can scale up or down to campaign taste. For a normal point standard game, I'd use 10 points of piercing instead.

Expensive, but a much better recreation of how it would typically work in the comics I think- and a much less complex build.