Turakian Age Freebies!

Steve Long

Re: Turakian Age Freebies!

We've just added two documents to the Fantasy Hero section of the "Free Stuff" page that were provided to us by Daniel Calhoun. They're play aids he prepared for his campaign: a handout listing the gods; and a handout showing the Westerlands calendar.

So, enjoy. ;) Thanx, Daniel!!!

Thanks for the kind words, Steve. I hope some Turakian Age GM's get some use out of those files. I know the High Church Gods handout was popular with some of my players.

Excellent - I like world-fleshing-out details

Curufea, there's nothing new in there. I was just trying to summarize some of the setting details for my players.

It dawns on me that no one has to believe that I am afore-mentioned Daniel, but since no one else is likely to pay my mortgage, I must be him.

Rigel, AKA Daniel Calhoun

Thanks!

I second a language table! I don't know why Steve, as thorough as he is, left that out.

Not to be greedy as much as practical, but what about an expanded index as compared to the one currently in TA? I would love to see a listing of towns, people (or groups... like 'pirates' for example), hot spots, treasure-laiden ruins, you get the picture. On one hand it's neat to be flipping through and catch some interesting little tid-bit like 'the living statues', but on the other hand it would be nice to have some kind of extended compilation.

Is it do-able? The Encyclopedia only goes as far as your TA knowledge and that's asking a lot!

Thanks.

I'm not sure I'm clear on what you're asking for, Labrat.

First, what do you mean by "language table"? Do you mean something like the Turakian Age Language Familiarity Chart, found on page 198 of the book?

As for further indexing, do you mean something like the Encyclopaedia Turakiana, which is available on the "Free Stuff" page of the website, and is mentioned on the index page of the TA book itself? Or are you referring to something else that you want to see?

Ah well, I'm psychotically interested in details when it comes to world creation, so I have different standards to most folk. I don't know what Labrat wants - there is certainly a language table of the language families.

As for myself, some simple comparisons, glossaries, examples or rules for each culture would be cute.

ie "they have an phonetic alphabet", or "they use pictograms", "Their word for Orc is 'yrgach'", "most names have a middle paternym of their father's first name", "they use more consonant sounds"

Weather would be zonal/latitude/longitude with some information on time of year (somewhat like an almanac)

Currency would have some background about coinage - measures taken to stop magical counterfeiting, cultural differences.

Trade - some trading families/customs or laws. Usual trade routes, goods for particular areas. Guilds and embargoes.

Professions - "this is Jim, Jim is an Archsmith, during his day Jim must talk to Trevor the Panthomage for X materials, which take N hours of Jim's day to process on his neeblewerfer machine in his shop". Just some examples of fantasy professions, or things that would add flavour to the setting.

Religion - "The church of Loki's Second Coming has the holy days of X, Y and Z. Priests dress in flowery waistcoats and are respected for their line dancing skills. The holy symbol of the cleft lemon is displayed on a pole once per year in the parade of the Knees, noted for N clerics dressing in M clothing in an O formation."

Actually, just "A day in the life" of examples of each thing would be good. Not every religion and profession, but just some odd ones. The rest could just be summarised.

Dang - I hope this stuff isn't there already, I haven't had time to check my TA book yet.

I'm not sure I'm clear on what you're asking for, Labrat.

First, what do you mean by "language table"? Do you mean something like the Turakian Age Language Familiarity Chart, found on page 198 of the book?

As for further indexing, do you mean something like the Encyclopaedia Turakiana, which is available on the "Free Stuff" page of the website, and is mentioned on the index page of the TA book itself? Or are you referring to something else that you want to see?

1. Yes, that's the language chart I knew had to be in there... thanks. I haven't had the opportunity to really digest the entire tome so I jumped the gun. I looked for 'language chart' in the index and didn't find it so I assumed there wasn't one. Owa tana siam. Sorry about that...

2. As for #1, I'm simply wondering if there is a more extensive cross-referenced index. The Encyclopedia (as I mentioned above) is great for looking up the definitions to some of the flavor words and ideas in TA (and I do like that flavor!), but if I needed, say, pirates from TA then I am currently at a loss of finding where they would most likely be found in the already-established world. Also when looking for good sites of 'lost treasure' or 'mysterious legends' I have to go on a text hunt through the book. The TA index is only 1/2 page long and from what I can see the subjects are largely character-related, game-mechanics or broader tid-bits which I agree are the essentials. The book is spectacular and tight, and I'm not implying that expanding the index is your burden, Steve. I'm inclined to do it myself, as I do think it would be an accepted gaming aid.

Again, I am humbled by my oversight for #1. There's so much in TA that I admit I haven't been able to get through it page-by-page! You did a great job.

OK, thanx for the clarification! At this point I don't see myself doing any further indexing or reference material creation for TA, unless maybe it would relate to some other book we put on the schedule someday. But if you or anyone else prepares something of the sort for their own campaigns like Daniel did, they're welcome to submit it to us for consideration as a freebie on the Free Stuff page. ;)

OK' date=' thanx for the clarification! At this point I don't see myself doing any further indexing or reference material creation for TA, unless maybe it would relate to some other book we put on the schedule someday. But if you or anyone else prepares something of the sort for their own campaigns like Daniel did, they're welcome to submit it to us for consideration as a freebie on the Free Stuff page. ;)[/quote']

Deal. I'm sure everyone would prefer that you move forward with the new stuff and not dwell on de-bugging the old stuff. Leave that to us rabid hordes of minions.

It's a daunting project, but I'll see what I can do.

But if you or anyone else prepares something of the sort for their own campaigns like Daniel did' date=' they're welcome to submit it to us for consideration as a freebie on the Free Stuff page. ;)[/quote']

Searching for this information would be easier if I could buy a PDF version of the Turakian Age book. *hint* *hint* :)

Guest joen00b

PDF formats are a dream, I must admit... which reminds me! Off to the HERO Online Store, Boy-Wonder, there are nefarious purchases to make!