Mystic Champions

Napalm

Ok, I'm new to the whole Hero System - and wanna use a Mystic Hero/Villian - what book/s do I need - The Mystic World, Arcane Adversaries, The Ultimate Mystic? I'm not sure which ones are needed - and I need to keep the cost down right now...I plan on get'n all the books I've mentioned - just need to watch the cost right now :)

PLease - any info you can give me would totally rock :)

Re: Mystic Champions

What do you need? The HERO System Rulebook. Seriously. I don't want to hurt sales or anything, but that's all you need to put together a character. That, and some imagination.

If you want to know more about magic in the Champions campaign setting, buy The Mystic World. If you want pre-generated magic-oriented villains, buy Arcane Adversaries. If you want to see more ideas and suggestions (beyond your own) for magic-oriented characters in general, buy The Ultimate Mystic. But these are all optional. If I were you, I'd see what I could come up with using 5ER and my brain, and pay money for someone else's ideas only when I ran out of my own.

BTW, I don't own any of these books, but I'm sure they're all good stuff because they're part of the HERO System.

As far as I know, Mystic World is devoted to magical happenings in the Chamions Universe so it may or may not be helpful to you. Archane Adversaries is might be usefull for inspiration as I believe it contains alot of writeups. I'd go for Ultimate Mystic first. It is devoted to the subject of mystical characters and magical systems for all genres and is a damn good read. It's the book to have if you're not sure what you want.

When it comes down to it, the only book you NEED is Hero 5th edition. But...

Arcane Adversaries is purely a collection of mystical villains. Useful if you haven't designed villains yet.

The Ultimate Mystic is source material for insertion into any campaign about the building of mystic characters, with plenty of suggestions on backgrounds, origins, etc. Useful but not mandatory.

The Mystic World is more of a sourcebook all about magic as it exists in the traditional champions setting (assuming you are going with, or at least borrowing a lot from that setting).

Vibora Bay is the Champions setting's "Mystical City". If you don't have a location set yet, this is actually a very nicely designed city.

If you're "Self-Contained" (You tend to make your villains, locations, etc. by yourself) then I'd go with TMU or TMW. But my favorite of the set is Vibora Bay.

So the Mystics 'spells' are nothin' more than regular powers stylized differently then? If that's so then you really wouldn't need to other stuff unless you needed the fluff....or if you were playin' in the champions universe or jsut like to collect the set....

So the Mystics 'spells' are nothin' more than regular powers stylized differently then? If that's so then you really wouldn't need to other stuff unless you needed the fluff....or if you were playin' in the champions universe or jsut like to collect the set....

That's the beauty of the system, brother!

After 5Er all the other books are really just either inspiration or source material. If you know exactly the type of mystical character you want to play [Dr. Strange, Dr. Fate, Etrigan clone] then all you really need is 5Er. If, on the other hand, you're searching for inspiration on the type of character you want to play then I'd recommend either The Ultimate Mystic or The Mystic World. Both of those books can give you examples on how to build more unique characters. Those books also cover information on how super-mages deal with other-worldly creatures, planes, etc. [things a player or GM might not have really thought about but are so important to mystic characters].