Help me make a choice...

Dr. MID-Nite

Re: Help me make a choice...

I'd like to buy Villainy Amok. However, I usually buy books by the pair. So....I need a choice between the following:

UNTIL Defenders of Freedom

Vibora Bay

Reality Storm

Which should I choose and why?

Rob

Should be relatively easy choice depending on your campaign/games/needs.

UNTIL DoF is a source book detailing UNTIL quite well. Lots of good stuff in there, from international law to UNITY, UNTIL's very own super team. If you use this organization in your campaign this book will be very handy indeed.

Vibora Bay is a setting book. If you want a semi-dark superhero campaign with lots of mystical overtones then this is the book for you. If Millennium City is about the Avengers, then Vibora Bay is a "Marvel Knights" title waitin' to happen. As good a setting book as you can ask for, IMO.

Reality Storm is an adventure utilizing Silver Age Sentinels heroes and Champions heroes. It's not my favorite adventure book, but it reminds me of the old Valiant/Image comic crossovers of the 1990s. You've basically got Dr. Destroyer and the Silver Age Sentinels' baddie teaming up to threaten two realities, and this adventure brings the two top super-groups (The Guard from SAS and The Champions) together to stop them. If you need something different to spice up your campaign, this is a good way to go.

Personally I'd recommend UNTIL or Vibora Bay, but that's because I only rarely use adventures in their published form (if I use 'em at all it's for source material or as an idea book rather than a step-by-step campaign).

G'luck figgerin' it out.

More info:

I'm the GM in a campaign, explaining my want for Villainy Amok.

UNTIL and PRIMUS both exist in my campaign elements, but on the fringe. I could get by just on the info for both groups presented in Champions Universe. The major role of both in my campaign is to deal with bad guys after capture.

The campaign takes place in Millennium City, but one somewhat less advanced than presented in the sourcebook(though still high tech by our standards).

Magic plays a strong role in the campaign, with most of the PC heroes somehow involved in mysticism.

Rob

More info:

I'm the GM in a campaign, explaining my want for Villainy Amok.

UNTIL and PRIMUS both exist in my campaign elements, but on the fringe. I could get by just on the info for both groups presented in Champions Universe. The major role of both in my campaign is to deal with bad guys after capture.

The campaign takes place in Millennium City, but one somewhat less advanced than presented in the sourcebook(though still high tech by our standards).

Magic plays a strong role in the campaign, with most of the PC heroes somehow involved in mysticism.

Rob

The UNTIL book essentially does for that organization what VIPER: CotS does for the snake-boys, so if you had any interest in expanding the role of that group in your campaign this would help tremendously. If not, though, you could give it a pass.

I'm a little fonder of the Reality Storm adventure than Vanguard00: it has reuse potential IMHO, and gives us several interesting characters from the Silver Age Sentinels world, hero and villain. The real gem in the book, though, is a detailed conversion matrix between SAS Tri-Stat and HERO System, enabling you to use characters from either system in the other. If you have any interest in using any characters from the SAS books (or GoO's recent Authority sourcebook), this would be extremely helpful.

However, for the needs you describe I'd definitely go with Vibora Bay. It has a number of mystical characters, heroic, villainous and neutral, from low-power to epic; and several interesting mystical sites, mysteries and plots which you could readily weave into your own campaign. Even if you don't use the city as a major campaign setting, there's a lot here you could steal. :thumbup:

Doc Sez...

As a GM I found UNTIL more useful than Vibora Bay or Reality Storm. However, you might consider getting Vibora Bay first in order to have a interesting place to have your group visit particularly because of the odd things going on there.

Do you prefer competent agents to mooks? Are you running a supervillain campaign? If yes, snag "UNTIL"

Is magic a strong element of your campaign? Want a darker city to station the PC's in than Millenium City? If so, snag "Vibora Bay"

/humor on

Give a hoot about a superhero system other than HERO? I hear there was some kind of crossover project...