Vehicle: The real Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (and the fictional one)

Barwickian

The real Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Polish motor racing enthusiast Count Louis Zborowski lived in England during the first quarter of the 20th century. Determined to build a race-winning car, he recruited Captain Clive Gallop (later one of the 'Bentley Boys' racers) after the close of the First World War to help him merge an aircraft engine with a state-of-the-art chassis.

They built four vehicles, known as Chitty Chitty Bang Bangs (from which Ian Fleming took the name of his flying car). Each was a one-off, and only Chitty Chitty Bang Bang II survives to this day. Its owners, Crawford Auto Collection, of Cleveland, Ohio, currently wish to sell it, but so far no one has met the reserve price of $1,500,000.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang II, built in 1921, used an 18.8-litre Benz aircraft engine producing 230bhp mounted on a stretched and strengthened Mercedes chassis and a custom tourer body. At its first outing at the Brooklands racing oval, it was timed at 108mph.

After Count Louis' death during a crash at the 1924 Italian Grand Prix, the car was sold to a private owner.

Chitty II was at home on road or track, and was used to travel in continental Europe and in North Africa as well as in races. According to reports from a modern road drive, it's surprisingly easy to handle, though not suited to twisting roads.

The fictional Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was built from the derelict wreck of a race car by gadgeteer Caractacus Potts to please his children, Jeremy and Jemima. Reports suggest that in addition to being able to fly and float, GEN 11 may well have been sentient.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang II

Val Char Cost
35 STR 0
10 DEX 0
17 BODY 2
3 SPD 10
24" RUN00" SWIM-20" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 29

Cost Power END
15 Motorised Wheeled Vehicle: Ground Movement +18" (24" total), x4 Noncombat, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 6 Hours (Fuel is Difficult to obtain; Aviation fuel; +0) (41 Active Points); OAF Bulky (Standard tires; -1 1/2), Only On Appropriate Terrain (-1/4)
0 Ground Vehicle: Swimming 0" (0" total)
10 Open-top vehicle: +4 DEF (12 Active Points); Limited Coverage Nearly 360 Degrees (Coverage does not protect some occupants; -1/4)
Powers Cost: 25

Total Character Cost: 54

Val Disadvantages
5 Distinctive Features: Valuable custom car (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Disadvantage Points: 5

Total Cost: 49/5 = 10

Here, there, in our motor car,

On Chitty Chitty we depend

Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Our fine four-fendered friend!

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (GEN11)

Val Char Cost
35 STR 0
10 DEX 0
17 BODY 2
3 SPD 10
24" RUN015" SWIM-20" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 29

Cost Power END
15 Motorised Wheeled Vehicle: Ground Movement +18" (24" total), x4 Noncombat, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 6 Hours (Easily obtainable fuel; +0) (41 Active Points); OAF Bulky (Standard tires; -1 1/2), Only On Appropriate Terrain (-1/4)
65 Phantasmagorical machine: Flight 30", x4 Noncombat, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 6 Hours (Easily obtainable fuel; +0) [1 cc]
7 Inflatable float: Swimming +15" (15" total), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 6 Hours (Easily obtainable fuel; +0) (15 Active Points); Surface Only (-1)
10 Open-top vehicle: +4 DEF (12 Active Points); Limited Coverage Nearly 360 Degrees (Coverage does not protect some occupants; -1/4)
Powers Cost: 97

Total Character Cost: 126

Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features: Valuable custom car (Concealable with difficulty; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20 Hunted: Baron Bomburst 11- (Mo Pow, Capture)

Disadvantage Points: 30

Total Cost: 96/5 = 19

Re: Vehicle: The real Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (and the fictional one)

I think the GEN11 (the fictional CCBB) should have an INT characteristic, and possibly EGO. In the movie at least, the car was able to operate itself and make decisions.

(Sadly, it's been many years since I've seen the movie and I don't recall much else about it.) :(

I think the GEN11 (the fictional CCBB) should have an INT characteristic, and possibly EGO. In the movie at least, the car was able to operate itself and make decisions.

(Sadly, it's been many years since I've seen the movie and I don't recall much else about it.) :(

I agree, and hinted at its sentience in the text. The reason I didn't add INT boils down to my HD skills. I'll have a bash at adding a characteristic (or trying to do GEN11 as an automaton) soon.

Not only do I have the movie on DVD, last year I took my kids to London to see the stage show in the West End. I can't recommend the stage show highly enough - should it open on Broadway, go see it.

My only regret is that I saw it a few weeks after Richard "Rocky Horror Show" O'Brien stopped playing the Childcatcher. I'd have loved to see him doing Kiddy-kiddy-winkies.

Oh, the posh, posh travelling life

The travelling life for me

First cabin and captain's table

Regal company

Port out, starboard home!

Posh with a capital P - o - s - h

Posh!

Have I embarrassed myself enough yet? I love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. :D

I agree, and hinted at its sentience in the text. The reason I didn't add INT boils down to my HD skills. I'll have a bash at adding a characteristic (or trying to do GEN11 as an automaton) soon.

Nah. Just write up an AI for the sentience.