Are Guns considered killing damage?

daydreamerx

When using firearms are they considered killing damage ?

Im a newb to the game, recently started and just bought the revised fifth edition book. I havent found anything that states this yet thus why I am asking.

Also the other question I have is how would you write up Jedi Mind Trick, Force Lightning , and A Light Saber.

Re: Are Guns considered killing damage?

typically guns (unless you're using mercy bullets or somesuch) are condisdered killing damage.

Jedi Mind trick is basic mind control

Force lightning is some type of ranged attack, pick whatever you think is most appropriate...EB, KA, other

Opinions vary on how best to model a light saber

I believe so far a saber would be about 2d6 to begin with. Have missle deflection. Myfriend and I believe that Lightsabers are forcefields or "force field" type damage. There fore it would not cut through another forcefield or lightsaber. Dont have booik with me for the extact write up on it but i know there is an exact "wording" for it in the book.

My brother is a huge starwars freak so I am doing a "time rifts" campaign with Hero, where there is more or less each genre involved into the game so he chose to use a Jedi type character.

I am going to be playing as well, my character is going to be using sniper rifles, and handguns, but I wanted to make sure whether or not they are killing or just normal/stun.

Another question I forgot to ask. Is dual wielding firearms, having ambidexterity , two weapon fighting + autofire + rapid attack. Is that what I need to take 2 shots a turn with each hand gun ?

I usually stat a lightsaber around 3d6+1 KA ... Force Lightning I do as a RKA w/ NND (defense is energy reflection) and requires a skill roll ... as far as guns, depends on the gun ... if you're talking regular firearms, then, yup, they're KAs ... if your talking some superhero guns (like Blue Beetle's BB Gun) or some futuristic weapons, then they could be almost anything :)

My lightsaber for my write-up of Darth Vader.

60 Lightsaber: HKA 2d6 (2d6+1 with STR), AVLD (Nonphysical "force fields," hardened armors, parrying with another lightsaber, and so on; +1 1/2), Does BODY (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END +1/2); OAF (-1)

Welcome, daydreamerx, to HERO and to the discussion boards! I hope you enjoy your experiences with both. :)

In response to your questions, others have handled the guns=Killing Damage quite well. OTOH intepretations of the Force and lightsabers are legion around here. That's one of the blessings and curses of the HERO System; there's usually several ways to simulate any effect, and the one you choose depends on your personal preference.

If you follow the link in my signature below, then scroll down to the STAR WARS listing, you'll find links to several renditions of these elements, ranging from simple to very complex. Totally up to you as to which one you choose. If you're interested in HERO Star Wars games I'm sure you'll find a ton of usable material there. :thumbup:

Now, regarding your inquiry about firing twice in a "turn": first, I'm assuming you mean a Phase, one of the Segments in a twelve-second Turn that your character can act on, based on her Speed stat. (This may sound a bit confusing - don't worry, you'll get the hang of it.) ;) This being HERO, there are several ways to go about this, but for now I'll keep this within the common rules for guns and related Skills. All of the terms I'll use are things that you can look up more details about in the rulebook's Index.

Your question was about firing two guns, and each one firing twice in the same Phase - is that correct? One way to attack more than once in a Phase is to use the optional "Rapid Fire" Combat Maneuver. You can divide the number of bullets (Charges) used between the two guns to represent firing both of them. This Maneuver results in some penalties to your Offensive Combat Value, though, both for the Maneuver itself and for using you "Off Hand" for part of the attack (i.e. your left hand if you're right-handed).

That would be enough to actually get off those multiple shots. However, you can offset some of these OCV penalties by purchasing the "Two-Weapon Fighting" Skill, or the "Ambidexterity" Talent.

Note that if a gun has been built with Autofire, it has the inherent ability to fire multiple times in a single Phase, but that has its own drawbacks.

If you need further examples or clarifications, please don't hesitate to post followup questions. :)

Really, it's up to the GM. If the GM wants "cartoon" violence, then EBs are the way to go. Convert every gun in the book to the same number of EBs and you're good to go.

If the GM wants "ultraviolence", then you could try making almost everything a KA - falls, any strike with a reasonably hard object. You could do what I did to make my Harn Hero game deadlier - double the BODYx number on the Hit Location chart. Hey, look, the PCs no longer want to get into fights!

To "Northstar" I thought that was "Guns don't kill people ! People USING guns kill people"

I believe it was a joke specifically tailored for this audience; it used a HERO-specific term in its punchline, see.

Replying compulsively,

--Me